Using "Blessing" as a closing in letters/notes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering if this is a Christian "thing". I have many friends from many different walks of life and there are some who I am not sure what their religious/spiritual beliefs are. And I am sometimes a little shy to ask . But is it strictly Christian to offer blessings either in general conversation or as a way to close out a letter or note to someone. It seems like it could be Pagan as well, or even Wicken. It's nice, I like it. I am Jewish and most commonly what is used it Baruch Hashem ("thank G-d") or Bizrat Hashem (By the will of G-d), neither of which would be used to really close out a letter or announcement, but rather to maybe start one. I'm just wondering

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think it's nice. I would probably associate it with Christianity on first glance, but I don't see why it would *need* to be, you know? I know a few people who use "Namaste" as their letter "sign-off" and I think it's also very nice.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#3 of 12 Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm of a God belief, no religion, and am an intuitive reader. I say "Be Blessed" or something like that on most everything I write. I like it because it's a good feeling vibe and I would hope the person would get an extra goodness because the thought was there.

It seems more sincere than sincerely...lol.
#4 of 12 Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM

My UU Minister, who is very much not Christian, signs most things "blessed be" or "blessings."
#5 of 12 Old 01-29-2010, 12:53 PM

I use it, and see it often from Christian friends.

It is short for "God's blessings to you" which is kind of a condensation of the greetings and endings in most of the epistles, actually.
#6 of 12 Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM

I think using blessings at the end of a note is nice. I have learned to see it as a good thing regardless of who it's coming from. Like, my ultra-Christian friends use it and my Pagan friends use it, so I see it as universal I guess. I like to think of it as someone just wishing me well but in a higher sense.

Leslie, open-hearted mama to 3.5 yr old dd and almost 1 yr ds
#7 of 12 Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM

I say Blessed Be, or Peace...I am UU/Pagan.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#8 of 12 Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 AM

It "feels" Christian to me - I think because those I know who use it are Christian. I have to say it annoys me if it comes from someone I only know marginally or in a "business" way (ie through an organization like our homeschool group - where religion can be tricky). I much prefer non-religious salutations from people I don't know well.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#9 of 12 Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 AM

I use it for both Christian and non-Christian friends (Reform/Orthodox Jewish, pagan, etc.). I figure that if you believe in a higher power, chances are you believe in the provision of blessings ... and that is what I wish/hope for them, even if together we all believe in different things about a higher power.

Does that make sense?

I hope so. I hope I haven't inadvertently been offending my non-Christian friends.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#10 of 12 Old 01-30-2010, 03:14 AM

I actually use Blessings a lot at the closing of both personal and business emails. I feel like its a "wish you well" or "good energy being sent your way" type of wish.

treehugger.gifApril
Momma to Ella  4/5/00, Apollo 3/9/09  and Guinevere in 9/26/11
Owner of www.ConfidentBeginnings.com

#11 of 12 Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmomma View Post
I actually use Blessings a lot at the closing of both personal and business emails. I feel like its a "wish you well" or "good energy being sent your way" type of wish.
As do I. For me it's a heartfelt sentiment and (for me) is non-religious in nature. It's more of a letting others know I care about them which I think is important even in a business situation.
#12 of 12 Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
As do I. For me it's a heartfelt sentiment and (for me) is non-religious in nature. It's more of a letting others know I care about them which I think is important even in a business situation.
Exactly! Working in the birthing field I like to have a level of professionalism as well as compassion, I think its so important.

treehugger.gifApril
Momma to Ella  4/5/00, Apollo 3/9/09  and Guinevere in 9/26/11
Owner of www.ConfidentBeginnings.com

User Tag List