**chakras** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, for months Aweynsayl and I have been batting around an idea for a chakra workshop. Since at least last summer. The idea is to have a place to share knowledge, experiences, and feelings about chakras.

Many of us have heard about chakras, and some of us are familiar with their basic descriptions. The definition I best identify with describes chakras as swirling vortices of energy located in our etheric body. There are seven “major” chakras that get the most attention, and a multitude of smaller chakras covering much of the rest of our body. Colors, stones and crystals, and sound frequencies are all tools people use to heal and energize chakras. I shouldn’t forget to add yoga, especially kundalini to that list.

The thing I’m interested in is what should I do- with regards to chakras- in order to live my fullest, healthiest life? How does their function affect me? In myself, I notice shielding my heart chakra from news media’s manipulations helps a lot, or how when I don’t voice an opinion, it affects my throat chakra.

Recently in the Treasure Map thread someone suggested the idea of organizing according to chakras, instead of the feng shui baguas often used. That sounds like fun! Don't get me wrong- I've had great success using the baguas to organize TM by, but I'm all about variety too.

Learning about chakra energy centers is something I really enjoy. I’m not an expert- so I’m really interested in what everyone else has to say.

I found a couple links that describe chakras very nicely:

http://www.chakraenergy.com/intro.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/chakras.html
#2 of 107 Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM

off to read links!
#3 of 107 Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM

yay! i'm so excited we're finally doing this!

i've been having a lot of fun, especially since that idea in the TM thread, playing with chakras in different ways.

i think the thing that interests me the most is the notion of balance--creating balance, living balance, and so on... (yes, i'm a libra, lol!). and also the connection between the chakras, and one's imbalance affecting another, and so on. i cant wait to talk about open/closed/etc... and the "conventional" notion of that functionality, vs. some... less traditional ideas (especially from our dear friend the chakra tapping guy).

i'll be off the computer for a bit, back tomorrow evening, and i look forward to sharing and learning more then!

#4 of 107 Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 PM

What a neat idea about using the chakras for treasure map outline. And thanks for starting this thread!

I never thought much about chakras till a while after my dd2 was born... her birth left me with a 4th degree tear and an extensively rebuilt "undercarriage". I'd been focused on the physical and emotional recovery but things were still "off" until someone pointed out that I'd basically ripped out and replaced one of my chakra points. It made a lot of sense andI think working on my root chakra was helpful.

And more recently I've been exploring the energy of the crown chakra... I started covering my hair while growing it out and noticed a real (and positive) difference in how I reacted to the energies of others/places. It made me wonder if some elements of head covering may have grown out of a social or spiritual recogniztion of the crown chakra. Even if the idea of "chakra" or "energy point" would have been foreign to the culture/religion involved.

I've also found that covering my hair with a cloth that matches the chakra color I'm focusing on gives my meditations a little extra oomph. Even when I'm not covering my hair while out and about, I find that a ribbon or scarf in the specific color is a good tool for focusing on that energy.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 107 Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Ooooh love me some chakras! I often find myself especially in corpse pose with yoga going through opening the chakras and sort of giving them a tune-up. Its amazing how good -read this as balanced too I feel after that little exercise.

I'm definitely in and will read the links.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#6 of 107 Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 AM

Subbing because I don't know a whole lot about chakras, but I can physically feel my heart chakra and never knew that's what it was until about a year ago.
#7 of 107 Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM

goo.

i did the chakra eval thing at the first link and i only have two, like, remotely functional chakras. not that i'm surprised, because most areas of my life are totally whack right now, but it left me wondering . . . what do i work on FIRST?! start at the root?
#8 of 107 Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! We are gonna learn so much from each other, I just know it. So many books give chakra definitions, but written descriptions of chakras don't tell me enough. It's like reading about love, and intellectually understanding love vs. experiencing love.

After reading a bit I learned how other people described experiencing their chakras. I started by meditating and visualizing sending colored energy to my chakras, starting with red at the base and slowly working my way up to white light at my crown, each time drawing a little energy from the chakra below, until I could feel a flow between them. After a while I tried to feel the spin of them.
Other times I practice opening or closing the flow of my chakras depending on the situation. Groups of people don't bother me, and sometimes I'll try to open my chakras enough to try to get a feel of people around me. The opposite works too.

When I go camping one of my favorite things to do is meditate, with my feet buried in the sand at the lake's edge,(or river, or ocean- but I love the water) and pull energy up through my chakras. When at home, in the summertime I'll just lay a blanket on the ground and do the same thing.

In bed before I go to sleep, I will relax and just try to feel my chakras, and visualize them glowing and spinning.

Let's see, how else do I experience my chakras?
In the shower, I'll place my hand over a chakra and imagine any stuck energy being released to my hand, then I rinse my hand in the shower and clean myself of stuck energy. I'll also tap ( but I want aweynsayl to share that bit!)

OK, that's mostly how I experience my chakras. How do you?
#9 of 107 Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi doubledutch, I think starting at the base is a good idea.

Yoga Journal has an article with asanas to correlate with chakras. It's long, but the poses are at the bottom of each page. http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/898
#10 of 107 Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Subbing, back later
#11 of 107 Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 PM

Yay! Subbing for now. Will catch up tomorrow on the links posted and also post my experiences so far. I'm the one who had the idea to do the TM around the chakras. I also thought about using the native american medicine wheel (will have to post that idea in the prep thread). So glad to see this here and I look forward to learning and experiencing more.

Leslie, open-hearted mama to 3.5 yr old dd and almost 1 yr ds
#12 of 107 Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 AM

Checked out that chakra test: apparently my throat and heart chakras need work and I am very in tune with my crown chakra.
Throat chakra - 0
Crown chakra - 4
heart chakra - 1
all other chakras - 2

#13 of 107 Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's interesting that the chakras correlate with the glands of the endocrine system. We learned about this in one of my classes in massage school. I wish I knew where I put my notes from that class because there was some good stuff in there that I can't remember now. The second link in the OP talks about it, too. Good stuff!

Love this thread!
#14 of 107 Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
Hi doubledutch, I think starting at the base is a good idea.

Yoga Journal has an article with asanas to correlate with chakras. It's long, but the poses are at the bottom of each page. http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/898
awesome! that is really helpful.
#15 of 107 Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM

i'm not really in the best mood for discussing chakras right now, but a quick reply since i couldnt make it on last night, and thoughtful time today is sort of out the window, lol--

re: where to start
i actually have an opinion on that one, which is so odd for me.
i personally found that months and months of traditional "work" on a specific chakra did very little for me, while a week or so of the general chakra tapping as shown in this video "balanced" me (according to the eclectic energies test, here).

that, for me, was just the beginning... but more on that when i can form coherent thoughts....
#16 of 107 Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

aweyn- sorry you're having a hard time .
#17 of 107 Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 PM

I have my Reiki I attunement and can sense chakras with my hands. To balance them, I find kundalini yoga really helps. I 've been doing Ravi Singh & Ana Brett dvds daily over last few months and they've really helped in many many ways. They have an excellent dvd called Dance Your Chakras which includes 2 yoga sets that hit every main chakra.
#18 of 107 Old 02-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
i'm not really in the best mood for discussing chakras right now, but a quick reply since i couldnt make it on last night, and thoughtful time today is sort of out the window, lol--

i personally found that months and months of traditional "work" on a specific chakra did very little for me, while a week or so of the general chakra tapping as shown in this video "balanced" me (according to the eclectic energies test, here).

that, for me, was just the beginning... but more on that when i can form coherent thoughts....
Oh my gosh! My therapist was teaching me tapping! I will have to look at this web site more...
Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with tapping.

#19 of 107 Old 02-06-2010, 02:48 PM

saphire, thanks for the hugs! we're fine, just... well, a little wild and crazy, lol! but good things.

ok, let's see if i can be more coherent...

the thing i like about tapping for a beginning in terms of chakras is that it's systemic. so it helped me get a good "feel" for my chakras. sort of like a "get to know you." especially, i suppose, since i was doing tapping for other things, and it's a technique that really resonates with me (that's probably the biggest reason, of course).

here's the other (and probably bigger) reason i like the chakra tapping as an entry into chakra exploration--

when i was first learning about chakras, and the notion of open/closed/underactive/overactive, etc... it seemed like everything i found said that if you had a closed or underactive chakra, to work on opening it, and if you had an overactive chakra, to work on opening the underactive ones to balance out the overactive chakra. in other words, either way, you're focusing on the underactive or closed chakras, and basically ignoring the overactive ones.

well, now this is just me, but i dont totally buy that being the best or only approach. maybe that's because i tried that for months and months with barely any result, but it's also because i think things in general, and our bodies specifically, are more systemic than that. i've come to feel that an overactive chakra is not simply compensating for one that is closed, but it may be stuck open, it may be somehow preferred by me because of my personality or life experiences...

for me, working on the OVERactive chakras instead of the UNDERactive ones got me faster, better, and more powerful results, in terms of bringing all my chakras into balance. further, i found connections between the under and over active chakras, and so, in one specific case, simply by "clearing out" (with tapping) an overactive chakra, i brought greater openess to an underactive chakra (because of an interconnection between them, for me).

does that make sense at all??

one thing i think i said already that interests me is the notion of Creating Balance thru my chakras by energetically manipulating them in some way-- vs. changing something in my life that might be causing an imbalance. i think the power of tapping for chakra work lies in both. on the one hand, i feel that i can, when i need to, actually Create balance in a chakra that is affected by something in my life, but chakra tapping also makes me more aware of myself and the things in my life that affect my chakras, so that i can bring about changes in my life that will lead to my chakras being, more naturally, in greater balance.

again... make sense??

now, i should note, that not all of this did i achieve with the basic chakra tapping video i linked before, but also thru his... "advanced" chakra tapping workbook (which, alas, is not free). i hate linking to this page, because i feel it's rather on the cheezy side, but here it is in case anyone's interested... two notes of caution: it is intense. at least, it was for me. in other words, dont start it while the in laws are visiting or right before a major project is due. it's also slightly on the woo-woo side, even for chakras. but if you lurve tapping and you lurve chakras, it's worth a try. at least, that's my opinion.
#20 of 107 Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 PM

aweynsayl - I've often thought that there is a reason why certain chakras are more open and active than others other than there being a "blockage" or something. I understand what you are saying, it makes sense. For my personality, I tend to rely on certain chakras more than others. Though right now I am feeling that I DO need to work on my throat chakra. I can't seem to make the things coming in through my heart come out of my mouth, does THAT make sense at all?

#21 of 107 Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM

i wanna learn too. i've also just started working with tapping and have my second appointment with a tapping therapist this wednesday. i'm kind of freaking because i have so much "stuff" held in my body that i get palpitations and dizzy spells when i work on it. the therapist said that's because of the layers being stripped away and my feelings are finally coming out. anyhoo, if working with chakras will help steady me, i'm all in!
#22 of 107 Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

thank you so much, for the links & your additional explanation! i agree that if the goal is balance, it makes the most sense to focus on bringing the whole system into balance rather than focusing on "fixing" one area while another goes off-kilter. and i know that my problem is lack of flow, so a systemic approach makes the most sense to me personally for that reason too.

ds1 tends to become congested easily, like his sinuses just don't drain as easily as other people's do, so i gently tap on his facial sinuses, then down the sides of his neck and along the center of his chest, to get things flowing and cleared. nothing to do with "tapping" just trying to help him breathe. he has started asking me to "tap" for other reasons too, physical and emotional. i know i should learn more about it, and use it for myself, too.

(i also practice reiki on my boys, but rarely . . . almost never . . . on myself. what's the deal with that?!)

off to watch video.
#23 of 107 Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
And more recently I've been exploring the energy of the crown chakra... I started covering my hair while growing it out and noticed a real (and positive) difference in how I reacted to the energies of others/places. It made me wonder if some elements of head covering may have grown out of a social or spiritual recogniztion of the crown chakra. Even if the idea of "chakra" or "energy point" would have been foreign to the culture/religion involved.
That is a really interesting idea. I wore a simple head covering for several years, not for any real religious reason, but simply because it felt right. Then for a while it didn't, so I stopped, lately I've been thinking of wearing a head covering again, for no reason I can discern, I wonder if it has to do with the crown chakra. Maybe I should at least start wearing one sometimes again and see how it feels.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#24 of 107 Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
goo.

i did the chakra eval thing at the first link and i only have two, like, remotely functional chakras. not that i'm surprised, because most areas of my life are totally whack right now, but it left me wondering . . . what do i work on FIRST?! start at the root?
Yeah, I would start at the root and work upwards.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#25 of 107 Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Hmmm. I actually posted something in the tapping thread a while back about how it worked better for me to work from the crown downwards, counterintuitive though that was. Totally counterintuitive -- it made intellectual sense to me to start at the root and work upwards. Maybe if it doesn't work one way, try another?

I discovered that it is 40 percent off all beads and supplies at Michaels this week! I don't have the budget to take full advantage of this -- and I'm more interested in the crystals and stones than in beading -- but I did pick up a string of garnets, not a stone I usually think of. It was just singing to me -- I can feel them just thinking about it. I read that they go with the root chakra.

Anyone have some quick advice about working with stones? I often see in lists of semiprecious stones the chakras they are associated with.
#26 of 107 Old 02-09-2010, 01:43 PM

sky*hawk-- yes, that makes perfect sense to me!

meandk0610, the tapping dot com guy suggests using that chakra clearing after an intense session of tapping, to help, so, yes!

stones....
there are so many things out there on how to use stones for chakras--maybe read a few, & of course, play with it and see what feels good.

one thing i read that made sense to me was that wearing the stones close to the chakra itself (or on a pulse point like your wrist), was more effective than say wearing a necklace with stones for all the chakras... so your garnets either on your ankle or on your wrist. i lurve garnets. (and now i'm totally longing for a trip to michaels!)
#27 of 107 Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM

I crocheted medicine pouches for myself, my dd and my dh and we put stones in them and wear them under our clothes. I love to go to a store that has a wide selection of stones and use my intuition to pick out stones though I have also had results with wearing stones that sorrespond to the chakra I'm working on. One stone I've had particular luck with is citron. I wear it near my solar plexus and it protects me from me - meaning it protects me from my ego - if that makes sense. I also have an amethyst cluster sitting by my computer which helps clear the air from the energy of electronics. I am able to sit at the computer for a longer period of time now without getting anxious and stressed out. For me, I feel like wearing the stone near my solar plexus is particularly powerful.

Question: Has anyone had experience with kundalini rising?

#28 of 107 Old 02-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky*hawk View Post
I love to go to a store that has a wide selection of stones and use my intuition to pick out stones though I have also had results with wearing stones that sorrespond to the chakra I'm working on.
OOH! Sychronicity! I came into this thread specifically to post about stones. I've been wondering about healing stones and their effect on our chakras, specifically minerals. I really started out looking at all the pendants that are out there to protect against EMFs and then thought, why I couldn't make my own through research. So I researched and researched (typical me) and though I found out a lot of neat info, I'm still not sure if there is one magic silver bullet that I can either place in my home or around our LO's necks that would make all the negative electrical energy around us benign. But then I came up w/all these other stones that would benefit our personalities and life situations eg:
For ds1:
-Agate: believed to prevent insomnia and insure pleasant dreams, to enhance personal courage and protect one against danger, attract strength, for stomach upsets (place on solar plexus).
-Malachite: protector of children but should not be worn, place in pocket, or place in room to ward of bad dreams
-Citrine: help digestive tract.
Has anyone else worked with stones, either w/a healer or on your own?
#29 of 107 Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Anyone have some quick advice about working with stones? I often see in lists of semiprecious stones the chakras they are associated with.
I carry a rose quartz in my pocket often. I can tell when I should carry it, or when it's time for a break. To me it is calming and reassuring.

Kyanite is another go to stone for me. It is balancing, and relates to the throat chakra. Which, incidentally, I struggle with the most.

I like to feel the stone in my hands. If it is smooth I rub it. Sometimes I focus and meditate on what I am feeling, other times I just carry it in my pocket. I also have an assortment of necklaces, earring and bracelets I have made.
The earrings I have been wearing every day, for months are abalone though. Not a stone, but a sea shell. They are rainbow colored and connected to the ocean. Abalone so fits me. I am really drawn to water, and I think of the rainbow colors as balancing.

I have a book, Healing with Crystals and Chakra Energies by Sue and Simon Lilly. It is good for stone/chakra associations and some exercises.

This site is ok for meanings:
http://crystal-cure.com/gemstone-meanings.html
#30 of 107 Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM

aweynsayl - Have you worked with the Waking Up tapping session? I was watching the beginning tapping video last night and found this one in the videos section. The morning time is my favorite time of day, yet I cannot seem to wake up in the morning to enjoy it! I was wondering if you've tried it and had any luck with it.

Oh, ok. I just did the video. It's the same tapping sequence. I'll let you know how I feel tomorrow morning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page