Leviticus 12:1-5= No sex after giving birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read in People how the Duggar family uses no birth control beside the Biblical recommendation of not having sex for forty days after having a baby boy and eighty days after having a girl.

I assume that they are referring to Leviticus 12:1-5, but I don't see how that means that sex is a no-no. Can someone explain?

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#2 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
...I really can't, given that they don't seem to be Messianic/Torah observant in other respects. How odd. Neither 40 nor 80 days is that far off the six-week abstinence/healing period recommended by a lot of mainstream peds though, so it's probably not that unusual in practice.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#3 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM

That's a bit funny, actually.
My limited understanding is that there were 2 stages to the "purification" process after birth.
One is counting 7 days after bleeding commenced (or at minimum after 7 days for a boy, 14 for a girl), and becoming ritually pure through immersion in a natural body of water at that point and I would think that is when relations can resume.
The second part was an atonement offering given after the 40/80 days following the birth in the times of the Temple, but I don't believe that has anything to do with intimacy.
Jews who keep the laws of family purity do the first thing these days; since there is no Holy Temple, offerings are no longer given, and that 40/80 day landmark passes by unnoticed...
#4 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ummm..no. The rule is minimum of 7 days for boy and 14 days for a girl, but you cannot go to the mikvah (to be cleased) until you have had 7 days with no bleeding (the same for your monthly cycle). The laws for family purity are specifically for Jews, so I do not know why anyone else would follow them. It also seems odd that they would only follow part of the law, but not the whole law. In fact, most orthodox and conservative Jews do not go to the mikvah regularly.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#5 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post
Ummm..no. The rule is minimum of 7 days for boy and 14 days for a girl, but you cannot go to the mikvah (to be cleased) until you have had 7 days with no bleeding (the same for your monthly cycle). The laws for family purity are specifically for Jews, so I do not know why anyone else would follow them. It also seems odd that they would only follow part of the law, but not the whole law. In fact, most orthodox and conservative Jews do not go to the mikvah regularly.

I beg to differ with one point. Most Orthodox Jews *do* go to the mikvah regularly. Huge segments of the Orthodox population go to the mikvah *daily*. And the rest, at least once a month, if not more, and before Shabbos (the Sabbath) and holidays. As a matter of fact, regular use of the mikvah is one of those things that distinguishes Orthodox Jews from the rest of the Jews.

Conservative and Reform, not so much.
#6 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 PM

I saw that too and wondered.

Maybe, the Duggars take 7 days (from Lev.12.2) ...and then add 33 days (Lev 12.4) to get 40? And for girls... um 66 (lev 12.5) + 14 (Lev 12.5) = 80. But I don't get where it says to add...and I thought the whole 33/66 thing related to the time of the Temple...but then again, I'm only Muslim.

In Islam, women don't have sex for at least 40 days after childbirth... nor do they fast or are required to do the daily prayers.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#7 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
I beg to differ with one point. Most Orthodox Jews *do* go to the mikvah regularly. Huge segments of the Orthodox population go to the mikvah *daily*. And the rest, at least once a month, if not more, and before Shabbos (the Sabbath) and holidays. As a matter of fact, regular use of the mikvah is one of those things that distinguishes Orthodox Jews from the rest of the Jews.

Conservative and Reform, not so much.
You are right my brain was thinking conservative & reform do not go to the mikvah (I think there are only 2-3 reform synagogues with mikvahs in th US), but my fingers typed orthodox.

This is what happens with two kids in your lap and you forget to proof. Thanks for catching it.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#8 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
i read that article too and Michelle made a point to say that they dont abstain bc they believe the bible commands them to, i think she even specifically mentioned that as christians, they arent under mosaic law. (thats from memory, i already put the mag in the recycling bin.)

what she said, iirc, was that they use the ancient concept of a certain # of days of "uncleanness" as a symbolic gesture as a marriage strengthening aid. not to mention, the poor woman probably needs a rest! LOL

so, OP, she wasnt implying that she thinks Lev directs her to abstain for 40/80 or whatever days, just that they used those #'s as a guide to create their own tradition. maybe compare it to what camila alves said recently in interviews about 40 days of seclusion w/her new dd...

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 13 Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
i read that article too and Michelle made a point to say that they dont abstain bc they believe the bible commands them to, i think she even specifically mentioned that as christians, they arent under mosaic law. (thats from memory, i already put the mag in the recycling bin.)

what she said, iirc, was that they use the ancient concept of a certain # of days of "uncleanness" as a symbolic gesture as a marriage strengthening aid. not to mention, the poor woman probably needs a rest! LOL

so, OP, she wasnt implying that she thinks Lev directs her to abstain for 40/80 or whatever days, just that they used those #'s as a guide to create their own tradition. maybe compare it to what camila alves said recently in interviews about 40 days of seclusion w/her new dd...
Yeah, that.
#10 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 05:09 PM

this is just one more WILD idea people attribute to Duggars, which when closely reinspected is realized that ISN'T what they said to begin with lol

we should start a new thread called "things peoople *think* the duggars said"...

my first would be that Michelle stops BFing at 3 months so she can have another baby right away. gimme a break! she herself said she has serious nursing woes and her milk generally dries up by a certain time no matter what she does etc... but people would rather think she's crazy -- it's fun to think people are crazy.

(I'm not a huge duggar fan - but it's a good clean show where everyone is dressed modestly and I like that a lot)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#11 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry. I must've overlooked that. I was just wondering what it meant.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#12 of 13 Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#13 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 AM

check out this article on why the abstinence.  It is based on scientific facts we now know. http://www.numbers1317.org/file_19_statute_08.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page