Eastern Stars? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey, my son's father is very interested on being a mason, he is suggesting and encouraging me to be a eastern star. his grandma was, but the thing is, i dont know anything about it...

teach me please!

Shawna young single liquid gold feedin intactlactivist co-sleepin mama to my mixed baby boy Carter Jesse (aug 26th 09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 PM

My grandfather was a Mason and my mom attended Eastern Star while she still lived at home. My understanding is that Eastern Star is just a social club for women who have male relatives who are Masons. I don't know if there are any specific spiritual traditions attached to Eastern Star or not. My mom never mentioned any and unfortunately she has passed away so I can't ask her for you. You might want to do a simple Google search to see what you can find out. You also might get more responses posting this in TAO. Good luck researching!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Have you explored their website or are you looking for more personal experiences? Your local chapter may offer coffee chat visits or something similar so you can meet people.

I'm not sure what children's programs are available for sons, but daughters in Eastern Star or Masonic families can join Rainbow for Girls which is kind of like the girl scouts but specifically Masonic. I know you have a son, but seeing the teachings for girls may give you insights you wont find elsewhere.

hmmm... google found the following site (here) that lists many of the options within the Masonic "family". Scroll down for descriptions of couples only/women only/youth only groups.

For a potentially more balanced approach than the organization's own page, Wikipedia has entries for Eastern Star and Rainbow.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Have you explored their website or are you looking for more personal experiences? Your local chapter may offer coffee chat visits or something similar so you can meet people.

I'm not sure what children's programs are available for sons, but daughters in Eastern Star or Masonic families can join Rainbow for Girls which is kind of like the girl scouts but specifically Masonic. I know you have a son, but seeing the teachings for girls may give you insights you wont find elsewhere.

hmmm... google found the following site (here) that lists many of the options within the Masonic "family". Scroll down for descriptions of couples only/women only/youth only groups.

For a potentially more balanced approach than the organization's own page, Wikipedia has entries for Eastern Star and Rainbow.
Re childrens/teens programs: Boys can join DeMolay, which is for male relatives of Masons, and boys they sponsor in. Girls have the Order of the Rainbow (which I was actually in for several years). Eastern Star is what becomes available to a Rainbow member once she reaches her age of majority.

I know very little about Easter Star, as I didn't go on to initiate into them. I do remember *some* religious content in Rainbow, but it was very open to interpretation although God was mentioned etc. It was a lot of fun, a lot of formal clothes wearing (which of course, we loved... most girls enjoyed getting all 'gussied' up) and a lot of community service projects. It was also great for learning leadership The meetings are ritually based and are all done 'just so' ...and there's lots of 'secret' stuff. But when all that was said & done, it was about being part of and involved in our community

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe

User Tag List