Misheh, misheh nichnas.. ADAR, Jewish Moms! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like purim isn't really going to happen much here. I just realized that a month ago, I agreed to volunteer cook saturday afternoon/evening for a benefit, on next saturday evening. (I hadn't quite realized the dates overlapped until my shul sent out purim info with dates not days this morning). and I have to work on sunday.

I can definitely make some food for others, and maybe wear a costume of some sort to work, but I know DP is going to be REALLY disappointed. He was big time looking forward to us celebrating purim. (I beleive it had to do with the concept of religiously sanctioned consumption of alcohol lol) I'm not really even going to be spending any of it with him, between the dinner, and then work the next day. any ideas to incorporate a little purim? I'm not going to be able to make it to the megillah reading either the night or the day, this year, and the shul seudah is earlier (well, I presume every seudah will be while I'm cooking).

how about bringing in food for everyone at work to eat at tea time? it's not quite mishaloach manos, but I'm not quite sure how I'd do that otherwise. (or who I'd take it to. I guess I'll bring some to W and D, but other than that, I'm not sure. if I can't bring it on purim, is it better to take it before or after?)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm searching for a hamantaschen recipe which turns out with softy chewy dough rather than crunchy. It's okay if it's a dairy recipe.

Thanks!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 AM

TBH, I don't remember how my dough is anymore...LOL It's enough that it comes out okay as gluten dough and as gluten free dough.
Purim here is up in the air, so to speak, as 3 kids are currently down with some nasty virus. I did get costumes today from a gemach for the twins, Nachman is making his own (ask me about the arrows flying all over my house), Rashi is wearing what he wore last year, Akiva will wear his gi when we deliver - but not during shul. I was thinking of doing vegetable trays for shalach manos, but maybe that's too much prep motzei shabbos...unless the guys at dh's work want to help (caterer). I will have veggies, a few hamantaschen that I make, and a couple of chocolates from the caterer. As it is, we've really got to figure out megillah - dh is supposed to be at one shul (he oversees their kitchen ensuring kashrus) while I won't go there (they smoke inside - blech) and will take the kids to my shul. Dh is going to try to go with us.

In other news, Akiva is going Monday for an interview with the yeshiva on Tuesday. Please daven that they accept Akiva Daniel ben Rivka Leah.

Glad to hear that Leora seems to be doing well. B"H. may she have a complete recovery!

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My daughters are currently at their girls' youth group meeting where they're having a Purim celebration. They're supposed to do Jewish learning, but in reality they learn a little and do a lot of hanging out. It's good for them- any positive Jewish influence is good! DD1 is wearing a nightgown and has her hair in pigtails for a "toddler" look. DD2 is wearing a "princess" outfit- a flowy long skirt and flowy top, with a "crown" she crocheted herself out of gold yarn. DD2's friend A is going as their mutual friend S (who has a very boisterous sense of style), and S and D are going as "swine flu"- dressed in pink, with snouts, pink healthcare worker type outfits (complete with surgical masks) and with signs on their backs: on reading "swine" and the other reading "flu."

I don't yet know what costumes any of the 5 plan to wear for Purim, or if any of their friends will be at our shul for Purim (D goes to our shul when it's her weekend with Mom, but not when it's her weekend with Dad, and the other two are too far to walk, but I just might find myself driving them there for Purim.) DS wants to go as "Gary the Gadget Guy" from Club Penguin and I'm planning to go as a puffle from club penguin (puffles are pom-pom shaped animals that the penguins keep as pets. It's a very cute site!) I have a blue crocheted hat that I plan to "rug hook" into to make puffle-like, and then I'll have to crochet and sew on eyes (or get lazy and make them with paper and glue or tape it on.) I still need to actually assemble our costumes- convert my old lab jacket into a lab coat for DS and figure out how to make the penguin head, probably with a hooded sweatshirt.

DD1 made the hamentashen dough this year, with butter, rice flour, and arrowroot. We actually bought apricot jam from the Passover aisle since it was the cheapest place to get corn-free jam! I've been a lot healthier lately (and more active and spending way less time online) since getting my personalized nutrition workup and following it- and part of that means no corn or potato, as well as no gluten and very limited dairy and sugar. I had about 1/4 of an apricot hamentashen and 1/4 of a chocolate chip one, and that's all I plan to eat until Purim itself. We made them today so they could pack them for shlach manot for the youth group.

I'm just online for another half hour or so until I need to pick the girls up. I haven't been online much lately because I found that I dont' self-regulate well; I get online and then tend to ignore my family. Not good. So I won't be online so much in the future. I probably won't post again until after Purim.

Whoever's fasting this year, I wish you an easy fast.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM

I hope everyone had a good purim. I hope leora continues to recover.

I enjoyed baking treats for a few friends and brought some into work, and I loved volunteering at the benefit in the kitchen Saturday, it was a long day (10 hours on my feet), but it was so much fun. I got to help make the pizzas for the woodburning oven, did lots of veg prep, and managed to feel completely incompetent washing lettuce (which will actually be a great help at my job, since the apprentices often are frustrated by feeling incompetent at things they know they can do when they start, so having had similar expeirience lately, and being reminded what it feels like, will help me be a better manager.) Plus, we got to eat some of the leftovers which was so good. some of thebest pizza I've ever had. and everything else was great too.

Sunday night, I discovered I am very allergic to NSAIDs. I had taken less advil than I usually take over the course of a day for my horrible menstrual cramps, and all of a sudden had shooting GI tract pain. then after about half an hour or an hour it started to fade. I was taking a first bite of dinner, when I felt like a salmon bone got lodged in my soft palate. After trying to get it out, (unsuccessfully, since there was nothing there), it felt normal again, but my tongue started to feel like it was swelling up, and painful, but also the sort of numb movements you get as novocaine wears off. However, neither DP nor my dad saw anything swollen. I was having trouble swallowing, and while I could breath, it felt restricted. I was so scared, and thought I was dying. It slowly went down, thought my tongue felt weird for several hours. After calling my doctor, he said it was a not that common, but documented reaction to ibuprofin, and I should not take ibuprofin for a while. After he talked to an allergist, the answer is, I cannot take ibuprofin, aspirin, naproxen, or any other NSAID ever. Except I could possibly try celebrex, but it would have to be in the allergist's office, with adrenalin at hand. YIKES!!!

Now, of course, I'm freaking out, because without my standard 3 advil every 4 hours starting before the cramps start and not letting them start (keeping up the advil) for the first 3 days of my period, I CANNOT function because of the cramps. I can't really even get off the floor usually. And if I let the cramps start, that first day, it may take 4 hours for the first dose of advil to kick in. I'm on day four, so the cramps are painful, but tolerable, but I'm REALLY freaking out about next month. I can't miss work for two days every month. I'm going to try to see an ND about this, and see if maybe a month-round herbal regimen might help reduce the cramps but I'm quite freaking out about the future cramps.

If you guys have any suggustions (other than NSAIDs, which include advil, motrin, aspirin, aleve, excedrin, and naproxen, plus a ton of other meds that wouldn't be common for cramps but are used for other purposes) for the cramps now or next month, that would be wonderful. I'm asking everyone I know. Someone suggusted a little caffine yesterday, which helped make them tolerable, and helped greatly with the fuzzy-headedness, but 1 cup of tea at 2 pm, and I was up til 3 am because I don't drink caffine ever. the most caffine I normally have is a few bites of chocolate every couple months. I'm going to get some hot pads, and see if they help (I want one of those quantum heat packs, they're chemical packs where you press a button and they get and stay hot, but they're reusable, you just boil them for a little bit and they're ready to go again.) thanks.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 AM

Magelet, sorry to hear about the allergy! You might want to try some crampbark tea. I know I took it for afterpains after DS was born and it was magic.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 AM

I'll definitely give it a try again. It does help to an extent, however it's so hard to prepare and use, in terms of when I'm having cramps, and it not last long (the tea). Thank you sme

Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Why does the dr. think it was due to the ibuprofen? It sounds to me like it was due, potentially, to the fish. You can react to a food at any time. It just sounds to me like with tongue swelling and stomach pain that it could really be due to the fish. I understand that stomach pain can come from motrin, but why did he rule out the fish?
I have no suggestions for cramp management - that's where I'm still mainstream and taking 800mg at a shot for it.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I know that my mom took vitamin B6 and vitamin E every day and when she got her period, she'd up the dosage of Vitamin E for the cramps (the B6 was for the mood swings).

You might want to look into that too.

Wife to 1, Mom to 4
Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 PM

calcium & magnesium help too - and epsom salt baths

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 AM

I'm going to go to an allergist to try to get it tested for sure, if they can.

The reason the doctor thought it was the ibuprofin is because of the combination of the two. He said that sharp gi tract pain resulting from hives in the gi tract, and swelling in the mouth from hives are both common to a documented reaction to ibuprofin. Yeah, if it were in the stomach, I would suspect that as well, but it was actually in my bladder region, not my stomach. the bladder pain was over by the time I ate the fish, and my tonuge swelled up, except a few last residual shoots of milder pain. he also said that hives were about the only skin thing he knew that came and went so fast (though the bladder is definitely not skin).

Thanks, I'll look into B6, E, calcium and magnesium. Interestingly enough B6, calcium and magnesium are things on my list of nutritional tests I want to do (have a call in to the doc about them, he said he'll try to get back to me this week), for depression issues. Interesting that they're important for cramps and pms too.

mmmmh epsom salt baths. yum. I definitely love hot baths on my period, and I always put epsom salts in my baths. thanks for the reminder.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Red raspberry leaf tea is also helpful for cramps.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 AM

Things are starting to look up here. Today they are, anyway. And I'll take any improvement over the utter crap it has been. So I need music to work by.

So I don't know if I've posted this here yet, so forgive if this is a repeat of a previous post, but for anyone who's looking to hear shiurim and also hear great music (well, if you're into a certain kind of music ... namely rock & blues & the Greatness of the Grateful Ones, ha'meyvin yavin/if you get my drift) some very good friends of ours have started an online streaming radio station. Incredible place, incredible people, incredible music, and mind-bending soul-opening Torahs.

http://radiofreenachlaot.blogspot.com/.

Try it. You'll like it.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 AM

this message has been brought to you by, merpk a

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM

How're the pesach preps going, peeps?
Trying to go through our chometz. We're up to the point that my boys (4.5 and 3) decided to "write" a shopping list for me of what we need. They made sure to write "big heart pretzels" (amish type) because we are basically out of carby snack foods.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Pesach prep hasn't really started here yet.

I'm trying to decide if I should ask for the day before the first evening of passover off, to prep for our seder. I also know the idea of hosting a seder (even jointly with my dad) is insane, since I'm the primary cook. and I work the day before so it's not like I can get a ton of stuff done then. Which means I should go and try to get coverage for my shift now, since I've decided I should.

I grew up celebrating passover, but no passover prep (as a kid just a seder, as a teen, not eating chometz, but in a family that did). I'm taking a class on passover prep tonight, and then I guess we'll start.

I asked to be matched up with someone for the second night seder, since I feel woefully inadequate to lead a seder for our family, and a) want to experience a different kind of seder and b) better learn how to lead a seder.

(the task seems to fall on me as the "most jewish" or "most interested" member of the family.) any tips on leading a seder would be appreciated (particularly a seder for a family of adults with only 1 kid (8). If we had lots of kids in the family, it wouldn't bug me so much that it would be a kid's/family seder, but it's not really, it's just a dumbed down/protected (aka not mentioning that the jews were slaves, just that they had a fight with the pharoh and weren't friends) adult seder. after the seder and she finishes her meal, she goes and watches a movie.)

Old 03-10-2010, 05:54 PM

I can't do pesach prep till the last minute - literally! my kids, even though they are growing up and getting better... are awful about keeping things clean and not eating all over the house. my 10 year old for instance will wake up at 4 am and take a box of cereal to the couch and eat straight from the box. no amount of yelling, begging or pleading gets him to not do this. he's probably half asleep when he does it anyway....

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 AM

holy crap. I was just reading the kashering for passover stuff on our (conservative synagogue's) pesach guide. (our shul/community is as a community standard using the rabbinical assembly pesach guide 2008 as a basis btw).

ummm... help?

So I can't kasher my plates/bowls, my pyrex baking dishes, my baking sheet, etc? the plates have me really worried. do we have to do paper plates? That is so enviromentally wasteful. We can't afford new plates. (heck, we only have three atm, one for each of us and one for the cat lol) If we could buy used plates we could maybe afford new ones, but that defeats the purpose, since then they'd have to be kashered too, and they can't.

Also, so basically, I can't use any of the same bakeware? no baking? we use the oven a lot. does enameled cast iron cookware that is used for cooking and baking count as glass cookware? or what?

How do I clean my oven? the pilot light keeps it hot enough to... well I don't think it will burn, but it's way too hot to comfortably touch. (I use a towel to take a metal bowl that's had bread rising in it in the oven to take it out. it's too hot to touch comfortably, but doesn't kill yeast.)

I have to wait 24 hours between cleaning pots and immersing them in boiling water? what do I feed us in between? if the water has to be actively boiling... what about my pots that don't fit into another pot? what about my cast iron? boiling it will ruin the seasoning.

When do I do this? I presume after all this kashering is done, I can't use chametz on them, right? so ummm does it all have to be done the day of or the day before? otherwise we'd be chametz free for a long time... I'm working sunday, hopefully will get monday off to prep for pesach.

Also, when do I do the cleaning of the house for passover? I guess that last day? because otherwise, we'd just get chametz there again?

Also, is there a point to kashering my dishes for pesach, if they aren't kashered in general?

Also, I have a lot of wood in my kitchen (cutting boards, utensils, bowls). The rabbinical assembly guide for 2010 says that wood (counters) can be kashered. can I safely assume the other wood can be kashered the same way?

I took our rabbi's pesach prep class and while it answered some questions, it was just too much info, leaving me with more questions on others. It's not like shabbat where there's an easy place to start.

Sorry, I just don't want to bug my rabbi with these questions if they're obvious to lots of other people. (he said he gets so so many emails this time of year, and to please keep any questions we have concise as possible, though we were welcome to email him). I'm really quite excited, if a little intimidated.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:09 PM

breathe, caroline!

Not a politically correct thing to ask, but how kosher are your guests? How kosher are you? What level of "kosher l'Pesach" are you comfortable with? Actually kashering your kitchen to an orthodox or conservative level is a pretty big undertaking, esp if you've never done it before. We've been kashering our kitchen for years and just now are we on an Orthodox level. .. not that the orthodox mamas here would eat at my house, just sayin'

(and quickly, no, once your kitchen is kosher for passover, do not bring in chametz because then your kitchen is no longer kosher for passover)

Enamelware can't be kashered, ever. Plates can't be kashered, ever. Buy picnic ware from Joanns or the dollar store and reuse it the entire time and use it this summer on your picnics, or box it and save it for next years Pesach.

Only you can answer the question "is there a point to kashering" for yourself. You can kasher to a level you can live with, you know? I would totally talk to you rabbi, s/he's there for this reason. Passover is trixie, lotsa rules, if you're confused, ask! YOu can pm me your email addy and I can send over what our conservative shul from WI sent out as kashering guidlines.

Why do you have to keep slavery away from the kids? Pesach is a gruesome story... there's an entire cottage industry just for plague toys. I personally wouldn't censor the story.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 03-12-2010, 12:33 AM

Thanks. I think I need to stop posting late at night after work, somehow, it makes things.... grow way out of proportion lol.

We aren't hosting the seder, I think our family seder will be hosted by my dad and me at my dad's house. No one besides me is at all kosher (or keeps kosher for passover afaik.) It's unlikely we'll have many guests over to our place at all, and if we do, it would be a couple of friends who don't normally keep kosher (though may keep some form of kosher for passover. I imagine they'd be ok with stuff not kashered).

Actually reading some of the orthodox guidelines for kashering helped me a lot. Aish was talking about chametz "taste" getting from the steam into the steam hood.... it made me realize about where my comfort level is.

I'm not sure about the pots and pans (I'm thinking probably a thorough cleaning and rinse in hot hot water), and not using the cast iron (Any way I kasher them, or even clean them thoroughly will ruin the seasoning.). And since I've been loving on grilled cheese lately, I'm sure their every pore is filled with chametz. I might see if we can get new plates, but I think it would be more about a "reminding us that passover is different" thing than actually worried at this point that the taste of chametz in the plate. I'm not sure.

I guess it's also true that just cleaning up the chametz, even just by vacuming (purposefully to clean chametz, vs vacuming whenever it's time to vacume) etc, is a lot more than I did last year.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its pretty reasonable/important to talk about slavery with kids even if it is upsetting (it should be! it is to adults too, unless we forget or are detached.) I mean, it's her parents, and I guess their decision to make, but to me, it's highly unreasonable.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 AM

This was posted on another site by an Orthodox mama

Magelet, you especially may enjoy this

http://www.ravaviner.com/2010/03/how...-cleaning.html

Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 PM

I personally use a lot of disposables just for the week of Passover, but over time I've slowly aquired reusable Passover items. For the Seder and other Yom Tov meals, it's just easier to not deal with washing dishes, so we use paper then. But I have enough dairy dishes that we hardly need to use paper for dairy. Last year I bought mugs to use for meat, so I wouldn't need to use any hot cups or as many foam bowls- if I want a bowl of soup, I can have a cup of soup instead.

ITA with the advice to think about "how kosher you want to be." You're taking baby steps, so do what you're comfortable with and don't worry about what you aren't able (or willing) to do this year. Maybe you'll do more next year, or maybe you won't do more until 10 years from now. Either way is OK.

I've done a whole lot of mental prep for Pesach but not a whole lot of physical prep yet. I looked up my shopping list from last year, updated it, and printed it out. I've already bought some of the non-foods (contact paper to cover the counters, more plastic food storage containers, etc) but I'm waiting to buy the food itself. I should probably do so this week, before the store starts running out of stuff- I do have room in the basement to store it, far away from my chametz kitchen.

I also printed out my to-do list for cleaning the house, but so far all I can check off on that list is "print up the to-do list for cleaning the house."

Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Things are starting to look up here. Today they are, anyway. And I'll take any improvement over the utter crap it has been. So I need music to work by.

So I don't know if I've posted this here yet, so forgive if this is a repeat of a previous post, but for anyone who's looking to hear shiurim and also hear great music (well, if you're into a certain kind of music ... namely rock & blues & the Greatness of the Grateful Ones, ha'meyvin yavin/if you get my drift) some very good friends of ours have started an online streaming radio station. Incredible place, incredible people, incredible music, and mind-bending soul-opening Torahs.

http://radiofreenachlaot.blogspot.com/.

Try it. You'll like it.

Merpk- would you say that this is also a Shlomo-inspired site? As I'm the moderator of our local Shlomo minyan's email list, I am thinking I'd like to send it out to our chevre.

How lovely it is to be here with our holy sistas. The spirituality is emanating from all of us. Us Jewish moms , all natural family livers.

Pesach? In denial. I would like to brag , though, that I cleaned the minivan yesterday, and the 2 car seats, and all the crumby crumbs. It took 2 hours, yes indeedy.

I got word from a local rav that Extra Virgin Coconut oil is no problem for pesach! Yay! How relieved am I to be able to bake desserts with a healthy oil. And frozen fruit. No hechsher needed! And raw nuts, same deal (so I went to Trader Joe's to get raw nuts at the best price and not get ripped off by the K for P brands). Ah, life in my corner of the kashrut world is very, very good. And almond milk! All good for me who has medical reasons to eat kitniyot (I am lactose intolerant and dont' eat dairy...even though the soy lecithin would become batul or nullified as long as purchased pre-pesach.

Made a luckshen (noodle) kugle for this shabbat as it's totally not a food I EVER make any more these days (too Ashkenazi, brown, heavy for my tastes these days)...we have a friend coming over for his birthday and also whyn not indulge before Pesach.

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
Old 03-20-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambQueen View Post
Merpk- would you say that this is also a Shlomo-inspired site? As I'm the moderator of our local Shlomo minyan's email list, I am thinking I'd like to send it out to our chevre.

It's *beyond* Shlomo-inspired. Everyone involved is khevre. And aren't you in the Holy Land of R'dale? The 'main man' behind it is the father&shver of the couple who were of your minyan's founders (I think they were the founders ... or at least it used to meet in their apartment for a time, anyway ... they made aliyah the year before we did).

Absolutely send it out. And thanks.

And why are we still posting on an Adar thread? It's Nissan (oy don't remind me am in denial entirely) ...
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambQueen View Post
I got word from a local rav that Extra Virgin Coconut oil is no problem for pesach! Yay! How relieved am I to be able to bake desserts with a healthy oil.
w/out a klp hechsher?!

link to nissan thread, please? nak

Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 PM

as you wish http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1207183

Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 PM

thx. ps I LOVE UR DIAPERS!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 AM

BH

Magelet, koshering dishes and everything is hard and time consuming although totally doable, that's why many people have separate sets for Pesach which are stored in the attic/basement, comes Pesach all you need to do is seal your chametz cabinets and take down your Pesach boxes. You can start small by buying the most essential pots and pans you need (at discount stores if money's an issue) and a few containers, knives and peelers, use plastic/paper cutlery and then, throughout the year when you come across good deals and when the pocket permits you can slowly start to build up your Pesach cabinet.

Good luck.

User Tag List