Is everything made of energy? a la LOA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's part of the LOA, right? That everything is made of energy?
Is it scientific "fact" that everything is comprised of energy?

It seems to make tons of sense to me. It works for me, in terms of spiritual beliefs and magic, praying, sending positive energy, etc.
I'm just wondering if it's widely accepted by people in general, and by the scientific community, that everything has energy/is made of energy/etc,in a physical sense, not necessarily in a spiritual sense. Is that really stupid of me to ask? I'm almost worried to post this, for fear that it's one of those things that everyone learns in grade school and it's just something that I've forgotten.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what is LOA?

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#3 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 AM

Well, I certainly didn't major in anything scientific in college but I would have to say that the scientific community accepts that everything is made of energy. In my Chemistry class years ago, the first facts we learned were that everything is made up of matter, matter is composed of atoms, atoms are composed of three different subatomic particles (protons with a positive charge, electrons with a negative charge, and neutrons which are neutral), etc.*** It is also a fact that matter can change shape/form. So yeah...no reason to feel stupid. :P I think it all makes sense in a spiritual sense too. I think a lot of science really does validate spiritual principles.

*** Just so you know, I totally pulled out my old college notes for this question! I didn't want you to think that I just throw the words "subatomic particles" out in my everyday conversations.

Momma to my beautiful blessing pinktongue.gif (Nov '08) and two Spirit babies angel3.gif (Dec '09) and angel2.gif (July '10)

#4 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 AM

Ooooooh, found this too.

http://www.the-benefits-of-positive-...-thinking.html

Momma to my beautiful blessing pinktongue.gif (Nov '08) and two Spirit babies angel3.gif (Dec '09) and angel2.gif (July '10)

#5 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 PM

LOA= Law of attraction

Exactly what Cas said! It absolutely makes sense both scientificly and spiritualy. Science ties in a lot with my beliefs because of this. Do some reading about Physics.

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#6 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I wasn't wrong- nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Moo Martin View Post
Well, I certainly didn't major in anything scientific in college but I would have to say that the scientific community accepts that everything is made of energy. In my Chemistry class years ago, the first facts we learned were that everything is made up of matter, matter is composed of atoms, atoms are composed of three different subatomic particles (protons with a positive charge, electrons with a negative charge, and neutrons which are neutral), etc.*** It is also a fact that matter can change shape/form. So yeah...no reason to feel stupid. :P I think it all makes sense in a spiritual sense too. I think a lot of science really does validate spiritual principles.
Great science lesson! I wasn't that interested in it in school, so I learned enough for the tests and then forgot it.

Quote:
*** Just so you know, I totally pulled out my old college notes for this question! I didn't want you to think that I just throw the words "subatomic particles" out in my everyday conversations.
thanks for letting me know.
Thanks for sharing

eta- I actually read a book about quantum physics at my IL's a while back. It was way over my head, but I enjoyed it. lol. That's what got me thinking about the whole energy thing, and how it ties to spirituality and other non-mundane things. I just wanted to make sure I read/understood correctly the little bits that I thought I did.

#7 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM

This is a hard question to answer. Matter and energy are just two different forms that the physical world can take. So everything that is physical is by definition matter or energy.

And this is the stuff that science looks at.

Usually in philosophy the realm of abstract forms is what is contrasted with the physical world. This corresponds to what is meant by the spiritual world in religion. This is pattern of things which makes them what they are. This is not matter or energy, though matter and energy always have this abstract aspect to them in reality.

So, for example, hydrogen has the quality of "stuffness" or extension in spacve, that we associate with matter. It also has a certian arrangement of its parts that make it hydrogen. We don't see the pattern alone, or the matter, only together. When we talk about them separately we are making an abstraction.

The physical world always consists of these two parts - there is no matter without form. However, it is at least theoretically possible to have form without matter. This constitutes the spiritual things religion tends to talk about - human souls, angels or demons, gods, and so on.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#8 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 PM

We were starting to talk about quantum physics here earlier. I had wanted to add This link http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quant...edirected=true but I got pregnant and lazy and thread was gone before I got back.

It's a game on the iPhone that visually describes quantum physics for the mathmatically uninterested. You put your "x" or "o" in two boxes instead of one, kind of like possible answers in a suduko. Then depending on the layout of "x's" and "o's" in this possible board, the thing collapses from quantum space to physical and the way it collapses determines which one letter is in each square.
#9 of 20 Old 03-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Anyone interested in this topic might want to look for this book - God and the New Physics. It was published in 1983 ... I read it the year it was published and it made so much sense.

http://www.amazon.com/God-New-Physic.../dp/0671528068
#10 of 20 Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 AM

In my humble opinion, the answer is yes.
In regards to LOA and energy, Esther and Jerry Hicks have interesting talks.
Also, Richard Bartlett is showing/teaching some innovative stuff with manipulating energy at the quantum level. He calls it matrix energetics.
#11 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Hubby is a physics lecturer & he says Yes - everything is made of energy

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!
#12 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM

check out What the Bleep do we know you can see it free in parts on youtube. the extended rabbit hole edition is more explanatory, but i find the original movie more watchable. yes everything is energy, even matter. when we take on form, we slow our energy down to become matter. i have read and seen much in the last few years (my favorites to explain it all is anything by Neale Donald Walsch, I have read most of his books; Eckhart Tolle I prefer listening to his books, though there are still bits that don't resonate with me; Deepak Chopra also... but definitely see WTBDWK In the extended version, there is a Dr Quantum that explains some of the physics in an easy way to get... oh here is a link, look on right for part 2 of 12, 3 of 12 etc....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUL_0...eature=related

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#13 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 PM

this pretty much sums up my views on spirituality.

i believe that "god" is the energy found in everything. i do not believe in an omniscient being that deigned to give us free will.

i see that the beauty and power in nature and space and humans and dirt is glorious enough on it's own that it doesn't need a "creator" to make it awe inspiring. so, for me, the interactions between the energy in everything is what is spiritual. on some level though, they are just interactions according to the rules that govern them, there is no ultimate purpose or decision making and so by this, i don't believe in the LOA. mostly because of the negative aspects of it.

i have a hard time believing that the bad things that happen to people are because they've attracted those things to themselves if i believe that the positive comes because of attraction the corollary of the negative must also be true.

eh. who needs a signature?
#14 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for everything so far. I'm going to (eventually) read those books and watch the videos. This is fascinting stuff (albeit mostly over my head. lol)

#15 of 20 Old 04-19-2010, 03:54 PM

I totally believe this, and go a step beyond in that I believe that we interact with everything vibrationally. Energy solidified = solids/liquids, and matter gets more refined the higher the frequency.

I'm an energy worker and work at the level of vibration with the healings that I do.
#16 of 20 Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Yes to everybody
#17 of 20 Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
I'm just wondering if it's widely accepted by people in general, and by the scientific community, that everything has energy/is made of energy/etc,in a physical sense, not necessarily in a spiritual sense.
The more I mull this one over, the more I think that it's in the nature of a Zen koan. My undergraduate degree (a bit dated) is in physics from a university with a heavy weighting toward the theoretical rather than the applied. In this context, I would say that energy, while a fundamental concept, is not "stuff."[*] In popular culture, people sometimes look at E=mc^2 and arrive at the conclusion that mass is energy.

The nature of the equation, however, is epistemological rather than ontological--it doesn't assert that the two are on equal footing in terms of being "absolutely real," or on any such terms at all. (Indeed, one can argue that the only fundamental constants are unitless, so that the speed of light is only a convenient construction, whereas the value of the fine-structure constant is itself essential.)

The problem, as I think I see it, is the notion of "everything." If the meaning is "matter," well, yah, it can be converted into some form of energy. One cannot, however, go in the opposite direction (e.g., turn a nuclear explosion back into a bomb) with 100% efficiency--matter and energy, as they are understood in physics, are not seamlessly interconvertible.

If, however, "everything" is expanded to require a perceiving mind (or multiple perceivers, a separate issue), one is in the realm of philosophy rather than physics, and the terminology is conflated. I realize that the question specified "not necessarily in a spiritual sense," but I'm not sure this can be qualified away as long as "made of" is meant to have some grounding in some absolute reality, which eventually is spiritual in nature (World Turtle on line 2).

I seem to have gotten very long-winded. Let me, though, posit a comparable but different question: Would it be the same or different to change the question to whether "everything is made of change"?

[*] For a far more nuanced view, I like this fellow.
#18 of 20 Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susumama View Post
Hubby is a physics lecturer & he says Yes - everything is made of energy
Yup, I asked my husband, PhD in biology, and he said yes as well. And for the reasons that Cas said.

I'm really getting into the concept that everything is comprised of energy and I'm starting to learn about energy healing/ work and its fascinating. I also see a connection between energy and spirit and I often find myself using them interchangeably. Though that may not be accurate, and it might be more fitting to say that the spirit is the medium by which energy can be directed and channeled. I don't really know. I'm new to this.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#19 of 20 Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 AM

I have seen amazing results with energy medicine (homeopathy, flower essences, cell salts) and heard amazing results with tapping. This causes me to firmly believe that energy/vibration is a powerful force in everyday life and healing.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#20 of 20 Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Otto, I enjoyed reading your dissection of the question and the link to the philosophical 'Maybe it is best to say that energy is a way that we look at things and describe things.'

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page