Unity Church - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wanna tell me about the Unity Church? What is a Sunday service like? What are your favorite things about Unity?

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#2 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I my Unity Church! Can't reply at length right now but I'll be back tonight.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#3 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 PM

I love the guided meditation and the metaphysical lesson each week....ok I don't make it every week, but when I do go....
#4 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 01:47 AM

Well....I just became an official member of my Unity church...ever since I first stepped foot in the door and heard just a little bit about what the Reverend was saying I knew I had found my church home(and that is saying A LOT, since I have not been enthusiastic about any church in a long time). I love the diversity of it...we have one main Reverend that usually speaks, but a lot of times they will have guest Reverend from around the country come and speak, many of whom have different "styles" of speaking, if you will. One visitor we had recently gave the sermon, and quoted from the Bible a few times, though that does not always happen. We recite affirmations, have guided mediation during every service as the PP said, and the messages that they give are ones of empowerment...they often talk about how our thoughts are things, and what you think about most is what you will eventually see in your life (LOA), about abundance... they will mention Jesus every now and then but he is not a main focal point, and they do not ask if anyone wants to come up and be saved...he is seen rather as what we should aspire to be and can become.

The best part, for me, is the end, where we have our closing circle...everyone makes a huge circle all the way around the room, and then we say prayers of love and well-being - the cool part about this is that they suggest that you put your hands up in front of you, palms facing out, while you think of names of people you want to pray for. This feels so much more powerful, and effective, then simply clasping your hands together in the traditional way. You can kinda feel the energy you are putting out and receiving at the same time! And then we all join hands in that big circle and sing the Peace on Earth song...which is so lovely that I will share the words with you here:

"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me
Let there be peace on earth,
The peace that was meant to be....
With God as Creator, family all are we
Let us walk with eachother, in perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me, let this be the moment now.
With every step I take, let this be my joyous vow...
To take each moment and live each moment
in peace eternally...
Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."

Ah, if only I could really live that song, every moment of every day....

But anyway, the church is great, from what I hear they are all slightly different from eachother in the way they do things but of course they all abide by the same principles. I would check one out if you are close to one!

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#5 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 AM

I belong to a Unity Church as well here in NH and I absolutely LOVE it! This is the place for me. I have been to several churches and this one is the most welcoming and positive of them all that I have experienced. My three year old daughter loves it as well. Good luck!
#6 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 PM

I think the service is pretty typical of mainstream Protestant services. There are hymns, there is a lesson, there is a quote from scripture, take the offering. We don't usually have a eucharist (bread and wine). Add in a meditation and the peace song and that covers it. My absolute favorite part is the peace song. Often the children come up to join us, but I have a really small church. From a "control" standpoint, it's not a great idea to bring the kids up to church and release them into the crowd. What if you lose a kid? Or they go home with the wrong parent or something bad happens.

I appreciate that there is no dogma or doctrine. They can offer you some ideas but you don't HAVE to believe anything. Lessons are more along the lines of "Unity teaches...." rather than "THE Bible (unerring word of God) says this." To point out the other side when my MIL asked her priest about Unity he felt that we had no depth.

I was brought up to believe in the metaphysical (and metaphorical) bible so it all makes sense to me. We talk a lot about the deeper or metaphysical meanings of bible events. So angels are divine ideas. Joseph represents rational thought. When Lot's wife turned around and became a pillar of salt, we talk about being so stuck in the past that you can't move forward. I would actually like to get more familiar with the Unity metaphysical bible so I can rattle some more of these off.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#7 of 9 Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 PM

I love that they preach God loves you and only wants you to do your best, every day. If you make mistakes, that's okay...keep trying to do better. I also love that it allows me to be psychic, gifted, and doesn't say I'm wrong for that.
#8 of 9 Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 PM

There are no Unity churches were I am, but I have heard many are interested in the teachings of Joel S. Goldsmith. I am loving his teachings. I was raised with the Bible as literal. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a more metaphysical interpretation of the actual Bible. Or how to read it as such?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 9 Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
There are no Unity churches were I am, but I have heard many are interested in the teachings of Joel S. Goldsmith. I am loving his teachings. I was raised with the Bible as literal. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a more metaphysical interpretation of the actual Bible. Or how to read it as such?
The Unity Church has a Metaphysical Dictionary. I've seen them on Ebay and have thought to get one so as to learn more in that way...haven't yet though. That could be a place to start.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page