Native American Spirituality - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a lifelong agnostic who always thought she was atheist. I never discounted the possibility of God, but I never believed in a persona. In the past few years I've been trying to figure out what I do believe, and it's not been easy. I've looked into Christianity, Buddhism, even Wicca, and there are elements of each that interest me, but none really fit. I'm not looking for a perfect fit, but none of those fit at all.

So last night I'm drifting off to sleep and it hits me! My stereotypical view of Native American spirtuality actually does seem to potentially fit, for me.

However - note I said "my stereotypical view." That's because I know almost nothing about it. I'm also, yes, quite aware that there was hardly this one Native religion, but many spiritual beliefs for many nations. All the same, I do assume there were some common threads.

Can anyone suggest any reading to start me along my way?

In case it matters to anyone, I do have some First Nation heritage (grandfather's grandmother was Cherokee - yeah, pretty distant).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 12:24 PM

i liked this book - i haven't read another one to compare it against, but i thought it was really good. it's a collection of essays and speeches (mostly speeches) from several different chiefs and elders. i guess what i liked about it was the directness - that it's the words of people who held these beliefs and lived them, rather than a third party explaining it to me.
http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-of-Nati...8666380&sr=8-3
#3 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM

#4 of 9 Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Oops, I forgot to say thanks!! I have two suggested books requested on interlibrary loan

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#5 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
I am a lifelong agnostic who always thought she was atheist. I never discounted the possibility of God, but I never believed in a persona. In the past few years I've been trying to figure out what I do believe, and it's not been easy. I've looked into Christianity, Buddhism, even Wicca, and there are elements of each that interest me, but none really fit. I'm not looking for a perfect fit, but none of those fit at all.

So last night I'm drifting off to sleep and it hits me! My stereotypical view of Native American spirtuality actually does seem to potentially fit, for me.

However - note I said "my stereotypical view." That's because I know almost nothing about it. I'm also, yes, quite aware that there was hardly this one Native religion, but many spiritual beliefs for many nations. All the same, I do assume there were some common threads.

Can anyone suggest any reading to start me along my way?

In case it matters to anyone, I do have some First Nation heritage (grandfather's grandmother was Cherokee - yeah, pretty distant).
Various tribes believed different things. You can't lump them together. The Cherokee were monotheistic even before Christianity came to America for example.

http://www.cherokeediscovery.com/religion.html

http://www.thepeoplespaths.net/Books...reColumbus.htm

Orthodox Mama
#6 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 PM

the op acknowledged that, even within the text you quoted.
#7 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
the op acknowledged that, even within the text you quoted.
I wasn't criticising her personally What I am saying is that not all of them have common threads in the manner generally assumed...like you said, she noted that there is a stereotypical view. I was shooting off of that and her mentioning her Cherokee ancestry, which I share as well.

Orthodox Mama
#8 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Another book, that I'm currently reading, is God is Red.

Orthodox Mama
#9 of 9 Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Great book recommendations. Our family has some Cherokee and Powhatan Algonquian blood. But most of it is either impossible to prove on paper(can't find the records) or far enough away I don't feel comfortable claiming it usually. My mother carries the Native beliefs she was taught by her great-grandmother and the subject has always fascinated me. I'll have to check these out.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page