Would you bring up a friend's children in a religion different from your own? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would talk to your friend. It might not be an issue. They trust you and it might not be an issue. It might not matter to them.
#32 of 39 Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope. I hold my beliefs because I believe they are true (not just valuable or life-affirming or enriching or what-have-you), so teaching contradictory beliefs would not only be dishonest, but from my point of view actually dangerous and immoral. And there'd be no way around it, as DH and I are both into presuppositional theology and plan to homeschool... and go to a church where my dad's the pastor... so it's not a subject that'd only come up once a year, you know?

I'd simply point all this out to someone who asked us to raise their kids. If they were happy for their kids to be raised in our religion, then cool (but in that case, I'd wonder why they weren't of our religion themselves!). More likely, they'd choose someone with a more compatible belief system, as well they should. My Catholic SIL and I are amicably agreed that neither of us will raise each other's children, because I couldn't in conscience bring her son up Catholic and she couldn't in conscience bring my daughter up Protestant. We're both OK with that, and didn't get into a knock-down-drag-'em-out religious debate about it or anything. It's just the way it is.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#33 of 39 Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM

Definitely age dependent.
#34 of 39 Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm a pretty big non-believer with only a nod to the seasons in my house. If I suddenly had a little ward/child, I'd probably not deal with the issue. If the ward/child was already a teenager and a believer.. I might drive them to worship but not sit with them there.
#35 of 39 Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 PM

It would depend on if the parents specified something... Otherwise I would raise them in my religion.

Personally my religion is very important and my children would go to a friend or family member who holds it in the same importance.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#36 of 39 Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM

i am very VERY strongly opposed to any monotheistic religion.

my mom has specifically stated that she would most likely take my children to her church (and as a compromise expose them to various different religions) and for that reason she is not the beneficiary in my will.

if i had a friend that was very specific about which religion she wanted her children raised with i would definitely take them to services and honor her wishes. however, they would be raised in my house where we are emphatically agnostic so there would be that dichotomy.

eh. who needs a signature?
#37 of 39 Old 04-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If a non-Catholic friend or family member wanted to name me as guardian, I'd be upfront that I'd be raising their kid/s Catholic. If they weren't okay with that, then I'd have to decline. Likewise, I would never willingly leave my children to someone who would not raise them Catholic. I have this issue with my mom, who is our children's only grandparent. She's very close with them and wants them if we die. She's agnostic but said she would raise them Catholic, which to her means taking them to Mass on Sunday and putting them in Catholic school. I appreciate the effort, but that's really not enough for me, because our faith is a huge part of our life. So idk what to do there.
#38 of 39 Old 04-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Definitely age dependent.

Fascinating question. I agree that it would be age dependent and also to some degree dependent on which religion/sect we are speaking of.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#39 of 39 Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM

No, I wouldn't raise kids with the intention of fostering a faith other than my own. I would be flexible about the daily details that were important to the family (denomination, seasonal traditions, etc.), but I would still keep and share my core beliefs. It's who I am.

I can't imagine anyone willing me to care for their kids and expecting anything else.

Tjej

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page