Meaningful Easter traditions with a 1yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I asked a similar question around Christmas time & got some GREAT ideas that we incorporated into our Advent/Christmas celebrations!! For ex., Advent we moved the nativity characters closer to the manger each day & sang a Christmas carol as a prayer, and these were great for my son -- and me & DH! So... Easter is almost here... What are some meaningful Easter traditions that you do, particularly things we could start with my 1yo that will start to expose him to the real religious meaning of Easter?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, to start we have been observing Lent. The kids notice that we pray the collects for Lent each nihght before Grace, and we aren't having meat or desserts.

Holy Week is quite busy at our church, so they will be involved in that. Some of these things could be done at home. For Palm Sunday this week we have a big procession with other local churches through the neighbourhood, with a donkey. We read the story of Jusus' entry into Jerusalem today. There is making palm crosses at some point in the week before that.

After Maundy Thursday there is an all night prayer vigil, and people often take children there for a short time. Kids like to be up in the middle of the night.

Friday we do stations of the Cross especially directed at children, and then the kids create a garden with plants and things around the altar with the reseve sacrament.

Saturday is a ante-communion and then people clean the church for Easter, and a lot of kids like doing that.

Also, on Easter day the kids give out eggs to the congregation. THey make some in Sunday School, but there are not enough so many make some at home during the week as well.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.

User Tag List