April Pagan circle... come join the fun! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lumpy (ds#4) turns three on sunday, so we are having a "mayday/fairy" party to celebrate. putting up a maypole in the back yard, and making little cupcakes and tiny sandwiches. lol
i just feel GOOD lately! LOVE IT!
so i did nothing. lol still have to clean things, but instead we are going to watch star trek voyager and eat "booty" from TJ and then dh and i will watch a grown up movie.

have a great evening.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Ooooh. We have all kinds of sticky buds around here. How does the ointment smell? I find my comfrey ointment is very useful for a lot of that stuff but I get tired of my kids telling me I smell like stinky pickles.

Maia, you'd like the Outlander books, I think. The heroine is a sexy but practical English healer (nurse/doctor) with long flowing curly hair who travels back in time through a stone circle in Scotland and falls in love with a Highlander right before Culloden etc. She remains vibrant and sexy right through what, six books so far? into her 60s age-wise, anyway.
Oooh, those do sound right up my alley. Who's the author?

As for the ointment. I don't think we have cottonwoods around here. I'll have to check. Are they native to NC?
I've made plantain salve. That's the only one I've made. It was uber-easy. Just plantain, olive oil, and beeswax. WAY easier than the apprehension around making it

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
beltaine garden party, please? fancy fancy fairy dress, of course. elaborate english garden estate for location?
You are so good at coming up with the virtual party ideas! Man, if I ever needed a party planner IRL, I would for sure hire you.
Yes! Let's do it! I want to wear that dress that Cari wore to my virtual birthday party. The one that I wanted for a wedding dress. Only with wings, for the party, not the cape that they show it with. And of course, LOTS of fairy dust...oops, I mean glitter

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 04-27-2010, 10:55 PM

lol! you know, there was a time in a previous version of self when i actually wanted to be a party planner....

cari, yep, biltmore was maia's grande fete! but that garden looks dreamy. drool.

must take much time and thought in planning outfit. hmmm. we'll wait and post it in the may thread, yes?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I would suggest Biltmore but I think we had a virtual party there already.. maia's birthday was it?
It was my 50th, in November, yes
Your gardens are beautiful, Cari! Might I also suggest the Elizabethan Gardens on the Outer Banks? In Manteo, NC. http://www.elizabethangardens.org/
I know there's a virtual tour on that site, somewhere; I'm just too tired to search for it right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
lumpy (ds#4) turns three on sunday, so we are having a "mayday/fairy" party to celebrate. putting up a maypole in the back yard, and making little cupcakes and tiny sandwiches.
Lumpy?? Srsly? So happy birthday to lumpy...I've made a maypole cake before. It's so fun...you make a regular 2-layer round cake, ice it (preferably in green, for grass, but if you're color-sensitive it can be white), put a stick in the middle about a foot high, and attach colored ribbons to the top via a pin. Then spread out the bottom of the ribbons equidistant around the cake perimeter, for a maypole. I think on my very first one, I put little Guatemalan worry dolls for the maypole dancers.
You could also put cupcakes around the perimeter of a plate with a central cupcake to hold a stick for a maypole, and have the ribbons attach to the perimeter cupcakes.
What a fun birthday to have!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I would suggest Biltmore but I think we had a virtual party there already.. maia's birthday was it? Here's a lovely estate garden I'll suggest... garden 'rooms', a lily pad filled pond, a dancing lawn I can totally see us all in fancy dress in that garden
I'm already running through the gardens - barefoot and wild hair with ribbons streaming... now to find an outfit... this will take a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
Finally got word back on the job I had been hoping for. It's a no go, but at least I know. Funny, in my TM there's nothing about me havng a job, only school work. So perhaps that's a sign, eh?
bummer - but maybe that's what's to be to make or keep room open for what you are meant to do!

I just realized it was mayday :eyeroll, I swear work has me losing track of time & days. I just sprung an idea to DH for the boys this year. My mom used to have us do which was make mayday baskets and deliver them to friends. (ie a little styrofoam cup with drawings on it, and a pipecleaner handle!) It was sooo much fun to ring doorbells and yell out HAPPY MAY DAY! and run away laughing.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 04-28-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Lumpy?? Srsly?
lol yes. when i was pregnant he was "the lump", after he was born he was just huge (10# at birth) and laid around like a lump, so we called him lumpkin and somehow that morphed into lumpy. he even calls himself that. so cute. lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Oooh, those do sound right up my alley. Who's the author?
DIana Gabaldon

Quote:
Yes! Let's do it! I want to wear that dress that Cari wore to my virtual birthday party. The one that I wanted for a wedding dress. Only with wings, for the party, not the cape that they show it with. And of course, LOTS of fairy dust...oops, I mean glitter
Sounds spectacular.. that WAS a very fairy dress

Update on my docs appt... I've had the blood draw and go back next week. I'm happy to say that she suggested a trial of synthroid if it shows up low/borderline again, since I have symptoms that fit. We talked about the symptoms and she showed me my old labs.. and they're fairly classic hypothyroidism TSH high, T4 lowish/borderline. I also told her I've done magnesium & selenium supplements (and more foods containing them) as well as going from sea salt to iodized salt over the last 6mos and haven't had any change of symptoms. I was SO happy that she listened and didn't just write any of it off because I'm fat, as so often happens.

Off to put ONE more pic on my TM

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Cari- I hope you get some definitive answers!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Oh no!! I hope you feel better soon, is it allergies?
Thanks. No, it was something weird. Dizziness, chills, upset tummy/diarrhea. Didn't feel like a virus though. And Roo didn't catch it.
Not sure what was going on.

Quote:
Did lucas's letter get there yet??? (I put this one in the mailbox myself lol, so I know it's coming hehe)
No, it hasn't arrived yet. When did you mail it?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 AM

Yay for no snow this morning!!! Hope it stays that way all day long since I'll be on the road.

Full Moon is in less that one hour now... DD2's stones have spent the night on the windowsill and will stay there till tomorrow.

Valérie   
Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

need some advice: i am not sure if anyone remembers me complaining about a mom in our home school group who dropped us as friends and gave very weird reasons for it. well we haven't actually had to be around her since this all came out in the open (although i have had to deal with her dh ... who was really friendly, and ds#1 takes classes with her two children and they are getting along great, go figure), BUT i do have to "deal" with her in regards to her posting things on the yahoo group the hs has. it makes me so mad to see her name! one of the reasons i left facebook was because i kept "seeing" her there. anyway... i decided to start a letter to her, nothing i would give her, just a place for me to vent my anger. at some point i want to release all of that yuckiness... when is the best time to do that?

h

Old 04-28-2010, 11:55 AM

I remember mamaofthree. I'm sorry you still have to "see" her around. Things like that make me really uncomfortable. Writing out your feelings sounds like a good plan- anytime during a waning moon would be my suggestion.

Books- I've been reading a lot recently. Re-reading Sookie Stackhouse books, and The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's a real life memoir about her crazy childhood. I think it should be required reading so our kids won't take what they have for granted! I'm kidding of course, it's not a book for children, but I am glad a friend loaned it to me to read. I got tired of all the fighting in the Legend of the Seeker books and had to put that aside for a while.

Boo for snow. Perhaps Mother Nature needs a little reminder that it is Spring

I'm so in for a Beltane party, woohoo

This morning I need to clean the bathrooms before I take the girls to their dentist appt's. Such fun!

I'd rather go dress shopping for the party...
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Cari-I'm glad that you're getting your thyroid figured out. My mom just started synthroid again, too. Hopefully it helps you!

aweynsayl-I think I got the astrology stuff now. Thank you!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Busy morning! More later!

Who was looking for stones for an expecting friend? According to this, white agate is the ultimate pg. stone.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
at some point i want to release all of that yuckiness... when is the best time to do that?
Waning moon. Try doing it this weekend.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM

YAY! Testing is over!!!

Now I need to eat some lunch so I can take the kids to the park.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 04-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Busy morning! More later!

Who was looking for stones for an expecting friend? According to this, white agate is the ultimate pg. stone.
I was--thanks for this!

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM

And I'm doing a happy dance. I knew, just KNEW that my Dh would hear from the school about an interview today, being the full moon and all, and we just did! This is after of course, we posted our manifestations on our wall next to our Abundantia lares, and he lit a candle to her. Funny too because the email was sent at around 10:30 AM, and we only just got it now after we did those things. I am beyond excited.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM

All of a sudden, uber-busy! Friend coming over to celebrate her dd's birthday; her dd and my ds are best friends/worst enemies I want to give her ds's old bike, since he's grown out of it and she's a head smaller than he is, but I just. can. not. get. the. one training wheel off

I want very badly to talk to M; he's left his dd's house and said he'd call me when he got home, but then I won't be able to talk cause my friend and her dd will be here

Gah.

YAY! It's him on the phone!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

i just read this piece in a free newspaper thingy here in maine. it just really spoke to me and i thought i would pass it on. http://www.myparentandfamily.com/healthyfamilies.html

also, finished the letter. lol looking forward to releasing it. honestly just writing it felt great.
what a day. blaaah! i am so sick of overcast days. i did however finally fold all those clothes! i think there were a total of 8 loads to fold. lol and i cleaned both bathrooms, so yeah me! also got ds#4 a couple of cute gifts and felted two wool balls for him. i also tie dyed some play silks with kool aid and i am going to attempt to sew them together and make one of those knight costume thingies ( http://www.treehollowtoys.com/siemknco.html ) but it would be red, blue, yellow and green tie dyed. we will see how that turns out.
ok that is all for now. well i would yammer on and on, as i am bored out of my mind, but then who would read it. lol

h

Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 PM

Internet ate my post, then I had to go into town so this is second try/hours later!

Zombies! I know what you mean about things being scarier alone (you have your zombie survival manual though, right? same author, yes?). My "worst" experience was when dh was away for a conference and I watched the Dr Who episode "the empty child". (the "are you my mummy?" gas mask child). It wrecked our electric since I turned on every light in the house till dh got home three days later!

weather and wonkiness- very odd. Snow this morning, but probably in the 70s tomorrow! The wind is wild with leaves, branches, dust devils, and cloud shadows racing across the hill. There is a lot of visual "stuff" happening outside the window. BUT I keep thinking I see something out of the corner of my eye. Sometimes I think it's a big black dog, other times a person (man?) in a long dark coat (like a trench coat). When I turn, nothing is there. (I'm seeing this through the windows, not inside). I don't have a sense of negativity or anything from the "visual flicker", but every time it happens I think "is the door locked?", and I go and check. It's odd. Any thoughts? Like I said, I don't feel threatened by the flicker, but it's odd that it keeps happening and a bit unnerving.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

is it the grim? lol just kidding!

so while ds#2 and i were out i shook one of those magic 8 balls and asked it "will i get pregnant" it said YES! lol if the ball says it it must be true!

h

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Update on my docs appt... I've had the blood draw and go back next week. I'm happy to say that she suggested a trial of synthroid if it shows up low/borderline again, since I have symptoms that fit. We talked about the symptoms and she showed me my old labs.. and they're fairly classic hypothyroidism TSH high, T4 lowish/borderline.

'tis the season for that, I'm going through the exact.same.thing. right now.

I'm on Synthroid, but not feeling any results. If anything, maybe I'm more tired.. Here's hoping you can get yours sorted out properly!

I'm up for a party, though. We have planned a Beltaine ritual for Sunday @ our uu fellowship; and I'm calling the Goddess- but man, I don't feel up for it. Not right this minute, anyway. Rituals take a lot of energy out of me, and frankly, I don't have a lot to give. Maybe what I have is enough..

I have not, however, worked out my garb, procured flowers, or even thought about what to bring for the pot luck afterward. The maypole cake sounds WONDERFUL though, might hafta yank that idea!

I'm also trying to get the baby bug out of my brain. I don't want to stress my body out any more than it is, from no gall bladder and hypothyroid; but cute, squishy baby cheeks!!!! We've got love to give... blah blah

2 is enough.

right?

Vojerleda :yawning, sahp to (03/06)dd1 and (11/08) dd2 , married & living on the border w/dh .
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojerleda View Post
'tis the season for that, I'm going through the exact.same.thing. right now.

I'm on Synthroid, but not feeling any results. If anything, maybe I'm more tired.. Here's hoping you can get yours sorted out properly!
Thanks.. I really hope that if I do end up trialing syntroid, that after a couple of months I feel a bit more like my old self! It's so frustrating being TIRED all the time! (and it would be nice if my hair stopped falling out in droves, and if I could not continue gaining weight even though we eat healthy diets!)

Quote:
I'm also trying to get the baby bug out of my brain. I don't want to stress my body out any more than it is, from no gall bladder and hypothyroid; but cute, squishy baby cheeks!!!! We've got love to give... blah blah

2 is enough.

right?
I'm SO not the person to ask

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 04-29-2010, 01:50 AM

Hi all! It's been a while, I know. I'm caught up to page 19 so far, but didn't want to wait to post. Since I fell the last of March, my computer time has been pretty limited as typing and using the mouse aggrevate my shoulder and elbow. It's still better than it was, but I'll be going back in soon to get it rechecked. DH came home with a tooth going nuts on him (it's had issues for a couple of months and he's refused to get it taken care of, guess what we're doing tomorrow? Sigh.), and DS fell off the playground equipment and landed on his back and head today, so he's a bit stiff and sore. DD is ok though! LOL!

Let's see, in a nutshell, the kids both learned how to ride their bikes a couple weeks ago. All the neighbor kids can do it, so they waited until one weekend all the other kids were gone and mastered it in 20 min. We have the trampoline (with cage) back up and have suddenly become the most popular house on the street lol! I was sandbagged, set up and suckered into becoming the next PTA Treasurer this week.

I'm sure there's more but my arms starting to act up so it's time to call it a night. Hope everyone is doing well!!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 AM

Been off here! Yikes!

I'm doing okay. Dh may (crossing fingers) be getting the job of his dreams. Right now, he's done with his other job. He has to see the ENT and they don't care, so he said, he was tired of them treating him that way and knew he had a better job to go to that was closer to home and had better hours. I'm proud of him finally standing up. He usually lets people take advantage of him, but he's done with that. The TM idea and working on it with me gave him the motivation to do better for himself and us!

I'm so very proud of him and thank you all for the TM idea. He used to say, "I hope I get this job." Now he's saying, "I have the job of my dreams." He's VERY revved up and thinking positive about tomorrow and so am I.

I got a couple of diaper orders to work on, so I'm happy about that. I hope all of you are doing well!

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Ooooh. We have all kinds of sticky buds around here. How does the ointment smell? I find my comfrey ointment is very useful for a lot of that stuff but I get tired of my kids telling me I smell like stinky pickles.
If you have cottonwoods - it smells just like their buds in spring before leaf out. I don't know of anything else that smells similar. I'd imagine you could also make a balm with salicin in it by using willow bark too - it would probably have minimal smell - but that is just a guess.

Quote:
As for the ointment. I don't think we have cottonwoods around here. I'll have to check. Are they native to NC?
I've made plantain salve. That's the only one I've made. It was uber-easy. Just plantain, olive oil, and beeswax. WAY easier than the apprehension around making it
These are all on the the native plant list for North Carolina and would work fine. http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/
Populus deltoides ssp. deltoides (Eastern Cottonwood) - P, CP(o)
Populus grandidentata (Bigtooth Aspen) - M(r)
Populus heterophylla (Swamp Cottonwood) - P(r), CP(u)
Populus tremuloides (Quaking Aspen) - M(r)

Quote:
You have totally butchered the Southern Language... and I say language because I'm pretty sure it's totally unrelated to the other forms of English . Despite MOST english dialects use of proper plural possessive forms.. we southerners eschew (don'tcha love that word?) them. So the appropriate term is All Y'all's
Hey - I learned "all's y'all's" from a beloved college professor - in Macon Georgia. She was "born and bred" (never understood that phrase) in Videlia, GA. And she was an English professor. She was bilingual in English and Southern. I always try and explain to people that when I speak Southern I speak a pigeon form: A hybridization of fast Atlanta white x South georgia white middle/upper class dialect by way of a damn yankee (I moved to Atl when I was 10). It's a little wonky. I cracks me up when I here DS speak with a Southern accent, b/c I know he gets it from me and I generally don't speak that way in Alaska unless I am very tired. But I guess I've been very tired lately. Many of my friends don't realize I have an accent that I just keep hidden. I've had people tell me it was making fun of Southerners by using "y'all".

For those of you have do or have lived in the South US: Anybody else hear or use the word "mash" in place of the verb "push" as in pushing a button. When I'm in the elevator I sometimes slip and say "Mash 5" for "Push Floor 5" - I've had other southerners tell me they'd never heard the term.

Well, I am in a crappy crappy little town. Beautiful weather & scenery - but this town sucks. Dismal library, only playground is at the school and its not available for public use until after 4 pm, no trails, no parks, grungy development, drinking water is horrid, 2 uber-conservative cultish christian sects dominates the population. Over 125 miles till you can get to another town bigger than 100 people (or with a grocery store etc.) I'm glad I'm only here for 2 days. I'm afraid any longer and DH and DS would go stir-crazy. I've met some nice folks, but some are to to . I guess I'd be less than pleasant if I had to live here too.

That said - we are having summer-like weather, and that is fabulous. Although the shorts and t-shirts and walking around piles of snow is odd.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Today is my MRI (spine). Can't stand the noise of those machines. I just hope my 'friend' shows up so that she can watch ds in the waiting room while I have the mri.

It's not fair that I have to wait a week for the results.

I have a question: If money was no object, would you get a full body scan? Many people are doing this if they have a family history of cancer or aneurysms. Or if they've been feeling ill for so long and docs can't figure out what's wrong.

I admit that I would get it done in a heartbeat. Peace of mind, and all that.

Weather- It's been chilly and rainy but this weekend is going to be HOT. Summer hot. (I don't like to be hot or cold. heh heh.)

Beltane: Wish there was a free event around here. They used to have a May pole set up at Elm Bank Reserve but someone broke it. They never replaced it. Sad, huh?

Maybe I'll try to get some friends together and have a May day celebration. None of my friends are christian so they may be up for it.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

DoK, I'm going to one in Milford, but that may be a hike for you. Speaking of which, I have to figure out what I'm making for the potluck breakfast for that. I've been going low-grain, so it's been interesting.

I don't know if I would get a full body scan. My family history is riddled with type II diabetes, hypertension, and a few scattered cancers, but I firmly believe that these family members just did not take good care of themselves. The only thing I worry about is slipping into dementia with Lewy bodies. My gradmother died from it, and we think my great-grandmother did too. It does have a strong genetic component, hence the worry. It's on the spectrum between Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, and has symptoms of both. I don't know that a body or even brain scan would tell me whether I was prone to it right now. But good luck with the spine scan--I hope it tells you what you need to know so you can get treatment.

More TM goodness...I had put on there that I'd like to find work I love. A class I was offered is still open, and they re-offered it to me, along with the possibility of another. I meet with my boss next week. Crazy stuff!

Thyroid stuff. Make sure that the docs really shoot for the narrow range of TSH, and check your Free T3 and Free T4 levels. Mine has not, and I have not gotten the gumption to demand that they do, as I'm just not good with confrontation. My TSH is supposedly good, but an endocrinologist might say that it still needs to go lower. But I do feel better, especially now that I've been using a lot of coconut oil in my cooking. But my TSH was in the 170s, when it's supposed to be under 2 units or whatever...so I've made progress.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I should have done a treasure map this year. I'm jealous hearing about everyone's!

My ds had his bike stolen. And my oldest dd broke hers. We've had them less than 2 months.

I started re-reading my Inner Temple (Penczak) book and found online someone about an hour away who is interested in pagan meetups. Yay!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

User Tag List