Traditional Catholic moms-spring 2010 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fay,

I'm so sorry to hear of your situation, and will be praying for you. I am dealing with a much less extreme version of things, so I know where you're coming from. My DH mostly confines himself to making Nazi and child molester references. I wish I knew how to reach him. I thought about sending him links to articles that discuss how the Church is actually being much more accountable than other institutions (like public education) but I honestly don't think he'll listen any more.
Hugs and prayers.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fay and Beth,

I am really sorry you both are going through this. I do not have any great advice to give you. I did hear on the radio on a news show yesterday that a person is more likely to be molested by a minister in the protestant faith then a catholic priest yet it rarely makes the news about the protestant ministers. They were talking about how catholic priest are being targeted and how people perceive they are all bad.

Heidi
Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I am really sorry you both are going through this. I do not have any great advice to give you. I did hear on the radio on a news show yesterday that a person is more likely to be molested by a minister in the protestant faith then a catholic priest yet it rarely makes the news about the protestant ministers. They were talking about how catholic priest are being targeted and how people perceive they are all bad.
Just wanted to comment here. I actually googled these statistics one in order to prove a point in an online debate I was having about the Church, and it's absolutely true. A much higher percentage of Protestant/non-Catholic ministers are are accused of and proved to be child abusers, more so than actual Catholic priests. (That isn't good news or anything that I want to go shouting from the rooftops...but it does show you how the media slants, doesn't it?)

caffix.gif
Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 AM

My name is Kellie and I'm a wife to my DH Josh (who just bacame a Catholic this Easter!) and the mama to two little boys. Liam.. age 2 1/2 and Rowan .. age 3 months!! I really enjoy this thread. Lets keep it up mamas!!

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

Old 04-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fay and Beth, I'm sorry you're having a hard time with your dhs . You can try giving information on actual molestation rates and the fact that Pope Benedict has been a driving force in going after priests that molest children for decades (how our media gets away with flat out lying, I just don't know)...but unfortunately, if their hearts are hardened against the Church, it probably wont' do much good. Pray and stand up for the Church and hope they come around

And yeah, more children are abused in one year in public schools than were abused in 50 in the Church, yet no one ever talks about that. And the public school system (thanks to the unions) rarely fires the teachers, they just bounce them around and around to molest more children. What upsets me most about the recent scandal is that I don't think the media and others really care about the children at all, they just use them to attack the Church, and that's a horrible thing to do to children who have already been victimized.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:34 PM

Hi all....
Welcome to all the new mama's out there. I haven't been here much as I had sick kiddo's then I got sick too.... not fun... but the kids are getting all ramped up about new baby and Grandparents coming... all in less than 2 weeks!! eeek.. I still have a lot to do.

Christine- I used to live in Bethel, my Dad worked at the hospital out there. They now live a little north of Anchorage, and I am currently in Western Washington... I keep dreaming of going back, but there aren't alot of jobs in DH's field up there.

Beth and Fay- I am very sorry about your Dh's and their attitudes. The media is such an unfair jury

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemamaturtle5 View Post
My name is Kellie and I'm a wife to my DH Josh (who just bacame a Catholic this Easter!) and the mama to two little boys. Liam.. age 2 1/2 and Rowan .. age 3 months!! I really enjoy this thread. Lets keep it up mamas!!

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofwait View Post
Hi all....
Welcome to all the new mama's out there. I haven't been here much as I had sick kiddo's then I got sick too.... not fun... but the kids are getting all ramped up about new baby and Grandparents coming... all in less than 2 weeks!! eeek.. I still have a lot to do.

Christine- I used to live in Bethel, my Dad worked at the hospital out there. They now live a little north of Anchorage, and I am currently in Western Washington... I keep dreaming of going back, but there aren't alot of jobs in DH's field up there.

Beth and Fay- I am very sorry about your Dh's and their attitudes. The media is such an unfair jury

Glad you guys are feeling better. I do not remember mentioning to the little one that J was sick yet she informed her brothers that he was and that is why she could not visit.

Heidi
Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
JMJ

bump... trying to keep us on the first page...

How is everyone's Easter season going? How do you all work to keep the celebration going for all 50 days? I think sometimes Lent and Advent are easier to celebrate the whole time than making the whole seasons of Easter and Christmas special.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 PM

To the mamas who are struggling with their husband's disdain or dislike of the Church, I offer one solid, tried-and-true idea: Pray to Mary about it via the rosary. Ask for her intercession. She will answer. Hugs to all of you!

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

How is everyone's Easter season going? How do you all work to keep the celebration going for all 50 days? I think sometimes Lent and Advent are easier to celebrate the whole time than making the whole seasons of Easter and Christmas special.

I have a hard time with this, as well! As a convert too, it's hard not to think of Christmas and Easter as one day, because that's how I was raised.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Bump again:

Hmm I have to think about the question what we do for the seasons.

Another question, Does your parish have vacation bible school?

Heidi
Old 05-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

Another question, Does your parish have vacation bible school?
Our parish is pretty small, but we did start doing our own VBS a couple years ago, and it's been very successful! Dd1 really looks forward to it.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Dd1 had her First Communion yesterday! She was very excited and did great. I was pretty irritated by the fact that it was done almost entirely in Spanish, though. Including the entire Consecration, so she was lost and confused as to what exactly was going on (there were maybe 5 Hispanic children in the FC class, and they all speak English fluently). I don't have a problem with translating or doing it in both, but I think it's ridiculous to do the Mass in a language that over 75% of the congregation doesn't speak. :/ Dh has been wanting to look for another parish for awhile anyway, and that was kind of the last straw for me.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

One thing my husband and I are gonna try with Christmas is we're going to celebrate Advent for the whole season, and won't even put up the Christmas tree until maybe...well, my husband would like Christmas Eve, but I'm thinking maybe a few days to a week before Christmas. Then instead of taking it down the day after or on New Years, we'll leave it up at least until Epiphany.

Easter is a bit harder. We're hoping to pray the Angelus with our kids, so one way to recognize the Easter season is when the daily Angelus (prayed at 6 am, 12 noon and 6 pm) is replaced by the Regina Coeli for the rest of the Easter Season. This may end up being a bit too ambitious, but we'll see....so otherwise, I don't know, maybe keeping some Resurrection-themed decorations up around the house and talking with the kids about it would be a good start?

caffix.gif
Old 05-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Does your Parish traditionally do Mass in Spanish? If the children are being prepared in english for First Communion, I would definitely be unhappy that they did Mass in another language. We were at a First Communion yesterday as well. It is so inspiring to watch those children in all their faith, love and hope.

We do have a VBS at our Parish. We usually have about 175-200 children from age 4 through 4th grade. Our older kids help with skits and the like. My children likely won't be there this year due to our schedule, but they usually go and enjoy.

I would like to ask for prayers. The husband of my friend (who is also my daughter's preschool teacher) was diagnosed a year ago with pancreatic cancer. They made the decision this weekend to stop treatment and bring hospice into their home. They have 2 college aged children and are very active in our Parish. They could use prayers for strength in the weeks and months that follow. They are both an inspiration in their faith and the love and peace that they have found this year, but I know that they are in for a very difficult time.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Could I join this check-in? I was newly baptized at this year's Easter Vigil!

z2akids - your husband's friend and family are in my prayers.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Does your Parish traditionally do Mass in Spanish? If the children are being prepared in english for First Communion, I would definitely be unhappy that they did Mass in another language. We were at a First Communion yesterday as well. It is so inspiring to watch those children in all their faith, love and hope.
Nope. There is a separate Spanish Sunday Mass, but the other two are in English with a little Latin. It used to be on days of obligation Fr would do the homily in English and then translate, but now it's gotten to where every single Holy Day (or things like FHC, apparently), he does all but a couple lines (like the doxology) in Spanish.

So yeah, my daughter spent months being prepared in English and then had it done all in Spanish. I asked her if she knew when Jesus came (they didn't even ring the bells!!) and she said no because she couldn't understand Fr. uggh. I mean she still received Jesus and obviously that's the most important thing, but the circumstances are really irritating to me. Yes, we're one Body in Christ and everything, but like I said, most of the parish does NOT speak Spanish, and the majority of those that do also speak English, so I don't get the point in doing such an important Mass in Spanish.

One of the families was letting their toddler run around up near the altar during the consecration and laughing like it was funny (which horrified dh), until a another parishioner took the kid and told them to keep him back.

It's not a terribly active parish (which is my husband's primary objection), and what activities they do have are either geared towards the older couples with no kids at home (who make up maybe 50% of the parish) or the Hispanic community (who make up about 25% of the parish, but dominate most of the activities). That and the priest is very dry and boring (that's not to say he isn't nice, he's just not a people person).

So we're going to try out another parish that's actually a few minutes closer. We're actually considering moving out to by Columbus OH in a couple years by my SIL, and they have a really great, VERY active parish that we attend when we visit that we love.

Congratulations and welcome, Tuesday! And prayers for your friend and her family, z2akids.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Katie, I'm sorry about the experience. What Parish does your SIL attend. We are northwest of Columbus and love our little parish. My children all attend the parish school and we like our new Pastor as much as the one he replaced (who married us and baptized the kids).

Thank you for the prayers. It is a difficult decision to stop treatment and move towards hospice, but hopefully it will be peaceful for them.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM

z, they go to St. John Neuman in Sunbury, we love it there!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Hi Mamas,

I'm joining in here....I always forget to check on finding the new thread...anyhow...

My name is Sheramy, my husband and I are cradle Catholics, married 10 years this coming August, and have two beautiful boys ages 3 & 1. Very happy to be here sharing with other catholic and natural parenting moms

Answering a couple of recent questions - we do have vacation bible camp at our parish. It is very popular, but I think we have to limit it to about 80 kids due to space and adult volunteers. I have helped put the past three yes running the music and movement part of the camp and have had a TON of fun!!

Also, to those of you who are looking for ideas to celebrate the season of Easter/Advent, have you checked out Holy Heroes? The offer a season of daily activities sent to your inbox to help your child (and you) learn. We had a great time with parts if the advent one, but my boys are a bit too young to understand it all yet.

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boys Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (3) and ??? due November
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
Could I join this check-in? I was newly baptized at this year's Easter Vigil!

z2akids - your husband's friend and family are in my prayers.
Of course you can join....welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by She2dancer View Post
Hi Mamas,

I'm joining in here....I always forget to check on finding the new thread...anyhow...

My name is Sheramy, my husband and I are cradle Catholics, married 10 years this coming August, and have two beautiful boys ages 3 & 1. Very happy to be here sharing with other catholic and natural parenting moms

Welcome to our little part of the world.

Heidi
Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Hi all I would like to join this group. Im a 25 year old Catholic mom and need some help with my faith.

25 year old Catholic, non-circing, selective vaccinating, non-spanking, sling wearing, breastfeeding, and cloth diapering mama to my DS Erik (02/16/10). Married to my wonderful husband for 2 years.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Hi, I'm new to this board and hope you don't mind if I join. :0) I never even noticed the Spirtuality sections, I guess I'm always looking for Parenting and Vaccine advice.

DH and I are Catholic and have been trying to be better. We haven't been to church since we had our son (he'll be 3 in July) b/c it was hard with infant and now that he is almost 3 we were going to start back but he is loud and is not good at sitting still for an hour so not sure what we're going to do b/c we want to receive Communion and go to Confession.

Sorry for rambling. To ladies having problems with DH's: My husband hears from people all the time about people and their comments on church and child molestation problems and he always says: what better way for the Devil to attack the church than by going after the Priests. The Priests commit evil and the people react by stopping what they believe and stop going to church and the Devil sits back and enjoys the destruction of our Faith.

I know some people don't believe in Evil or the Devil but if you read up on St. Padre Pio (The Wonder Worker is a great book) and I think St. Faustina too. Padre Pio had intense battles with the devil over many years b/c of his close relationship with the Lord.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_mama View Post
Hi all I would like to join this group. Im a 25 year old Catholic mom and need some help with my faith.
Welcome to the group. I too struggle with my faith sometimes almost on daily baisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama07 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this board and hope you don't mind if I join. :0) I never even noticed the Spirtuality sections, I guess I'm always looking for Parenting and Vaccine advice.

DH and I are Catholic and have been trying to be better. We haven't been to church since we had our son (he'll be 3 in July) b/c it was hard with infant and now that he is almost 3 we were going to start back but he is loud and is not good at sitting still for an hour so not sure what we're going to do b/c we want to receive Communion and go to Confession.

Sorry for rambling. To ladies having problems with DH's: My husband hears from people all the time about people and their comments on church and child molestation problems and he always says: what better way for the Devil to attack the church than by going after the Priests. The Priests commit evil and the people react by stopping what they believe and stop going to church and the Devil sits back and enjoys the destruction of our Faith.

I know some people don't believe in Evil or the Devil but if you read up on St. Padre Pio (The Wonder Worker is a great book) and I think St. Faustina too. Padre Pio had intense battles with the devil over many years b/c of his close relationship with the Lord.

Welcome, this might sound weird in away. I can understand your struggles with your son but the more you take him the more he can get use to the mass so if you could go during the week also that would help. One thing that helped for us especially with our last child is when we have to walk to the back to make it boring as possible as she was looking for an outlet away to entertain herself. So when she is not being good we go to the back to the corner to stare at the brick wall.

Also we have a Mass bag for the little ones. They have the St Joseph's books in them. If you are not familiar with those books. http://www.catholicshopper.com/produ...ure_books.html

I love Padre Pio. He is one of my favorite saints (are we allowed to have favorites?). I really love the book Padre Pio: The True Story by Bernard Ruffin. It is very written and researched. I just love the story behind the author who is actually a Lutheran.

Heidi
Old 05-05-2010, 04:02 PM

I totally relate to the challenge of little ones in mass. Sometimes it is frustrating bcs I get vary little out of mass when they are with me. We switched to a parish (the only one in our city) that has a nursery during 2 of the masses, pre-school for 3-5 yr olds, and children's litergy of the works for 6-12. It works very well for our family and has allowed us to attend church as a family and still get a lot out of it.
I don't know if you have anything like that in your area but it is worth looking into.

I mentioned earlier that we are using NFP to avoid pregnancy at this time. We are taking a ccl class (which I really enjoy). My cycle is really crazy right now and I was hoping someone might be able to give me some input. It looks like i did o but not when ff sais that I did. I have taken several hpt and they are all neg.
tia
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/ttc3again

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 05-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks Ladies for the tips.

Heidi, have you ever seen any of the movies on Padre Pio? We have Padre Pio: Between Heaven and Earth and Miracle Man. I like the first one the best but the second one covered his life starting from childhood.

We've become Padre Pio groupies. We have Padre Pio Foundation of America here in CT, it's small but has a nice gift store and little chapel with some relics of his. We got some movies, a nice picture and a beautiful statue. They have a store online too.

Another good one is Bernadette and we are watching Jesus of Nazareth now. The latter is from the 70's so the acting is pretty bad but it's still good. We loved Bernadette and also The Thirteenth Day.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Hi and welcome everyone

My little May surprise is here!!! Patrick born yesterday at 8:22 am.
His siblings are all thrilled, especially his big brother who needed a sidekick with all the sisters.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

Old 05-06-2010, 03:06 PM

Congratulations!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofwait View Post
Hi and welcome everyone

My little May surprise is here!!! Patrick born yesterday at 8:22 am.
His siblings are all thrilled, especially his big brother who needed a sidekick with all the sisters.
Congratulations!!

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 PM

I typically lurk here but now I have a question. My mother grew up being told that if a person dies wearing a brown scapular (after being enrolled in it), that guarentees that person's eternal life in Heaven.

I have read conflicting information.

Can anyone here enlighten me?

Thanks so much!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

User Tag List