Traditional Catholic moms-spring 2010 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 PM
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was only able to get the hang of understanding my charts because DH and I were engaged for over a year, and I was charting the whole time. I didn't really start understanding what was going on until about the time we got married. I had a friend who was training to be a CCL teacher at the time. She talked to somebody who thought I must just be really fertile. We had to take a Creighton class for our marriage prep, and the Creighton teacher thought it was just a Basic Infertility Pattern and would want us to mark every day of the whole month yellow. (Great! but that doesn't tell us when we could get pregnant or not.) By the time we were married, we knew enough to just use temps, but it was still 6 months after we were married before we figured out it was yeast and were able to do something about it. If it took us over a year with no BD confounding factors to figure out how to chart and understand it with yeast, it's totally understandable that you could be confused after just a few charts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 AM

I was at mass today and jst after eucarist I asked God to please help give me some kind of sign that we are the right track bcs I feel that we are but am just so scared financially and emotionally.
Right after that the sunday school kids had their end of year "concert" and my jst barely 6 y/o (w/ mild special needs) was singing. The last song went something like this: "I have hands, watch them clap (rpt) Oh what a miracle am I, I have feet", etc. etc. Well my son would belt out at the top of his lungs OH WHAT A MIRACLE AM I throughout the entire song. The entire congregation was laughing but I started to cry with joy bcs what miracles I have (including this new one growing in my belly).
Then after church just before we pulled out of the parking lot I received a business call and they placed a $65 order (it has been 3 or 4 wks before i have even had a call much less an order). God knows I need kind of obvious signs so..... thanks God

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about your friend z2akids You and the family are in our prayers.

That's sweet, Nicole
Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 PM

Just wanted to share that we had a 3d u/s today and baby is a boy
Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 AM

cherrybomb- congrats

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Just wanted to share that we had a 3d u/s today and baby is a boy
Congratulations!

Mother to 6
13, 11, 9, 6, 4, 1
Pray, Hope and Don't Worry
Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Congrats Cherrybomb!

Just a little tomorrow my oldest celebrates her First Holy Communion. We are all very excited.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
Old 05-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpumkin View Post

Just a little tomorrow my oldest celebrates her First Holy Communion. We are all very excited.
Congratulations!!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congratulations Jlpumpkin and cherrybomb

Heidi
Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 PM

Have any of you used this homeschooling material?

http://www.motherofdivinegrace.org/curriculum/

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Charbeau,
My ds is only 8 months, but I'm planning to homeschool and my good (and very smart!) friend from college recommended it to me as the one she used all the way through high school. She really loved it, and it definitely seems to have taught her a lot!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 PM

Charbeau, I haven't used MoDG, but most of the people I know who have like it. How old is the one you would be schooling? I like Catholic Heritage Curricula for young kids.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Charbeau, I haven't used MoDG, but most of the people I know who have like it. How old is the one you would be schooling? I like Catholic Heritage Curricula for young kids.
Starting K, she turns 5 this summer. I'm planning for next fall. nak, I'll write more when I can type!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 PM

yup, used it for years. loosely with littles, as designed with high schoolers.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM

I love the look of MoDG and have some friends that really enjoy it. We followed a classical model this year and so it would flow nicely. Unfortunately since they have a flat fee per family and we have only been blessed with 2 children it is completely cost prohibitive. :-( I think we are going Seton this upcoming year instead.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM

It is pricey if a) you only enroll a couple kids and b) in the beginning because you are buying a LOT of books.

I actually only have my oldest two (high school) enrolled next year but I am buying very few books anymore. I would drop $1000 on books 4 years ago but now it is more like a couple hundred since so much MODG uses is non-consumable.
The real cha-ching comes in with MODG if you enroll in their TA/TD programs. They are great but oh so expensive.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
Starting K, she turns 5 this summer. I'm planning for next fall. nak, I'll write more when I can type!
I'd totally go with CHC for a Kindergartener, it's very relaxed and if you want to add in some different elements, it's VERY easy to do so. Like we lean more towards classical homeschooling, so I added in Latin and Story of the World. We used them for 1st and 2nd grade, I'm writing out my own plans this year because I'm using curriculum from a lot of different sources. Still using some CHC, though
Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am struggling right now. Well I have been struggling for a few months a lot. I decided about 6 weeks ago I was the biggest hypocrite on the planet. My 17 year old son lost the ability to walk in February. Fast forward to recently he has psoriatic arthritis which is not shocking because our 3 year old baby girl has it and our 10 year old son has it also (Liam's is quite bad). Well anyway we found out since my 17 year old waited so long to say anything he has permanent non reversible joint damage. So we have had a lot of long talks about taking care of one's health. We also been talking to my oldest son who has psoriasis not to put off seeing the doctor because he has such a high chance of developing PsA. Well that brings it back to me. I have been having major problems of late and have not seen the doctor. So I went to my family practice doctor about a month ago and he referred me to the rheumatologist. Ironically enough last Sunday I had some major symptoms and I had one joint swell on the walk into see the rheumatologist. Long and short of it I have psoriatic arthritis. Since last Sunday I have been in a flare. I am having lots and lots of pain making it difficult to walk and move. The thing that I struggling with the most is knowing my children are having this exact same kind of pain. I would not wish this on anyone let alone my children. My heart is just breaking.

I am also struggling with not ever having kids again which is ironic. I think we are done having kids. The medication I will be taking causes major birth defects but it will allow me to walk without pain. There absolutely can be no oops I cannot chart correctly. I am not sure what that will do to my marriage. I am not married to the kind of guy that would be nasty about it quite the opposite but hey what about me? Can I go weeks without being intimate?

I do have to share something really positive. I have had my share of doctors that have criticized our life style choice of no birth control. I think the worst was a practicing catholic too. Anyway, this rheumie is new to our family (as my kids see a peds rheumie). I told him I had to think about what to do because the consequence is pretty horrific if I got pregnant. He never once said go on birth control or anything along those lines. He was very supportive.

Heidi
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM

heidi,
I am so sorry that you and your family is going through psoriatic arthritis. DH has it (along with muscular dystrophy) and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It is so painful and debilitating. I know what you mean about the meds. I have done some research and it seems like they are terrible for a pregnancy if the woman is taking them. There are absolutely no tests done for the ones that dh is on now (luflunomide and remicade) and we just recently had an oops bcs I have charting troubles as well. I am nervous and just don't know what we are going to do. I will pray for you and your family that god gives you some comfort and answers during this time.
Dh has been dealing w/ pa for awhile now and there are actually many blessings that have come to our family because of it. PM me if you would like to talk more.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nicole. I truly wish God would show us his plan. I cannot wrap my head around everything what we are suppose to be learning from all this or what. It is such a hard struggle for me, Faith. Something I struggle with everyday.

Heidi
Old 06-01-2010, 04:58 PM

And Catholic mamas in the South Bend/Michiana area?
I would love to have a meet-up sometime when I go visit my beau!

BTW- prayers for everyone!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM
JMJ

mum4boys, that sounds really difficult. Prayers that God will give you the grace you need to do what he is asking of you. I can only imagine how hard it would be to find a way to be open to life enough to participate in the marital act in your circumstances or to abstain as much as may be required in the practice of NFP in order to raise the effectiveness even more. There was an article in the latest Family Foundations magazine about a couple who made the choice to practice NFP (which meant total abstinence for 6 months for them) during the wife's cancer treatments. It was an inspiring story for those of us who don't have to make any sort of sacrifice like that. I don't know if it would help you at all, but if you'd like it, PM me you address, and I'd be happy to mail it to you.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Heidi, I'm really sorry for all that you're going through right now. I don't have any advice, but I'll be praying for you guys.

PAL, I'm in NW Indiana, probably too far from SB for a meet up, though!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone.

Heidi
Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 AM

Heidi, YUCK. I'm so sorry, that really is tough what you are having to deal with. I've added you to my prayer list.

Ladies, HELP! As most of you know I converted to Catholicism, DH didn't. I want to home school, he doesn't. Any advice?

We baptized our January '10 baby last Sunday. Such a great ceremony! And it was wonderful really, more of our family and friends are non-Catholic and non-Christian (my husband's family is Buddhist) than not. So many people came to support us though, which I really appreciated. My husband participated fully in the service which thrills me to no end.

Hope you all are well. P&L, are you talking about IN, South Bend?? We may end up in Carmel, IN in the next couple years, so I'm curious.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:33 AM

I have a question about receiving in the mouth verses receiving in the hand. I choose to receive directly into the mouth as I feel that there is less chance of the host getting droped or tainted, etc.
My 8 yr old is taking his classes right now and will be receiving first communion this summer. They teach them and tell them they have to receive in the hand.
What is the word from the pope? Does anyone have any info that I could pass on so that maybe they will allow him to receive in the mouth.
Thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
Heidi, YUCK. I'm so sorry, that really is tough what you are having to deal with. I've added you to my prayer list.

Ladies, HELP! As most of you know I converted to Catholicism, DH didn't. I want to home school, he doesn't. Any advice?

We baptized our January '10 baby last Sunday. Such a great ceremony! And it was wonderful really, more of our family and friends are non-Catholic and non-Christian (my husband's family is Buddhist) than not. So many people came to support us though, which I really appreciated. My husband participated fully in the service which thrills me to no end.

Hope you all are well. P&L, are you talking about IN, South Bend?? We may end up in Carmel, IN in the next couple years, so I'm curious.
I am!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

So I started a new bed time routine with my daughter. We say the rosary her together each evening then I read a little from the bible to her. She loves it. Last night she was come one mom lets go say the rosary.

Heidi
Old 06-05-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
I have a question about receiving in the mouth verses receiving in the hand. I choose to receive directly into the mouth as I feel that there is less chance of the host getting droped or tainted, etc.
My 8 yr old is taking his classes right now and will be receiving first communion this summer. They teach them and tell them they have to receive in the hand.
What is the word from the pope? Does anyone have any info that I could pass on so that maybe they will allow him to receive in the mouth.
Thanks
I found this link: http://www.catholic-pages.com/mass/inhand.asp

Heidi
Old 06-05-2010, 02:41 PM

thanks for the link.
It definately backs how I feel about it. I need to find the actual "law" that would state we have the right to choose that way I can use it to allow my son to receive his first communion by mouth. I know they will be teaching him to receive it in the hand and that is frustrating bcs those are not our beliefs on the issue so I will have to reteach him.

User Tag List