Traditional Catholic moms-spring 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 166 Old 04-01-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought we needed a new thread for spring.

I have lost track of everyone. Can everyone do a little intro?

Heidi
#2 of 166 Old 04-01-2010, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Normally just a lurker but don't want to lose the thread

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#3 of 166 Old 04-01-2010, 07:20 PM

We're kind of dying out, we need to step it up

I'm Katie, 27, married, 3 girls, 2 babies in heaven, and due in October. dh and I converted together in 2007. Homeschooling, homesteading on my "micro farm" (1/2 acre ) and all that fun stuff. Getting ready to head out to Holy Thursday services, actually!
#4 of 166 Old 04-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I always want to be on these threads but then I forget!

I'm hanging out with my 16 month old daughter, I'm 15 weeks preggers...and DH works too much. He is currently working days and nights so we aren't doing anything as a family for Holy Week. The reward is that he gets Sunday off!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#5 of 166 Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 AM

26, mother to one 5 year old(Victoria)
I attend an OF parish with a fantastic pastor, though I miss Our Lady of the Atonement in San Antonio.

I follow a Benedictine Spirituality, and am working on making the LOTH part of my day.
I am hoping and praying that I get to homeschool DD next school year.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#6 of 166 Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 AM

I'm Beth, convert, "older" mother of a 3 1/2 DD, 8 mo DS, and one in heaven. I work outside the home and DH is at home with the kids. We are in a "mixed marriage" so it's a constant struggle, although he's fine with raising the kids Catholic.

I have been very distracted this Lent -- lots of family drama, house hunting, teething, etc. I always appreciate the prayers from this group.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#7 of 166 Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Hi, I am Char, convert in 2009, mom to a 4 yo, 2 yo and 2 month old. Thanks for the new thread!

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#8 of 166 Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 PM

I'm here too, but it's Holy Week, and I've been gone for most of Lent. I'll step it up once Easter is here. I still have to go face the Passion Service at Church tonight.

Wife to DH and Mommy to DS(2 yrs) : : : :
#9 of 166 Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 PM

feeling a bit sheepish that I missed the intro instruction
Jennifer, dh and I converted 2008, 7 yo dd (who will celebrate her first communion next month ) & 4 yo ds. We homeschool.. next year using Seton, this year more well-trained mind. Still adjusting to life in the Bible belt as a Catholic even though we've officially been here a whole year!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#10 of 166 Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 PM

Love the idea to reintro ourselves.

I'm Julie, married to Chip, our marriage will be convalidated on Tuesday! Can't wait, it's been a LONG, LONG wait for this. We go to Old St. Patricks Oratory in Kansas City, which is part of the Institute of Christ the King. We have two kids, Paul who's three and Dolores who's about 5 months old. We will be moving to our little farm on 5 arces sometime, can not wait for that!

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
#11 of 166 Old 04-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Julie, small world. We are almost neighbors. I haven't made the trek to KC for Mass yet, but I know I'll be driving family members soon --long story.

Guess I should PM you, but I should also get off the computer on Holy Saturday.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#12 of 166 Old 04-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Beth, mom of three boys and I'm being induced tomorrow on Easter Sunday with our fourth...unless our little one comes on his own in the next few hours Maybe some prayers for me as I'm feeling very anxious
#13 of 166 Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmiles View Post
Julie, small world. We are almost neighbors. I haven't made the trek to KC for Mass yet, but I know I'll be driving family members soon --long story.

Guess I should PM you, but I should also get off the computer on Holy Saturday.
Yes, PM me I love meeting localish people. I always feel out of place. Either I'm the odd ball with Traditional Catholics because of AP and gentle discipline, or I'm the oddball in AP circles because of our faith. So finding people who espouse a little of both is awesome!

I was going to not go online for Good Friday and Holy Saturday, but my husband ending up working, so it's what I do while nursing on the couch for endless hours!

Mass is a trek for us as well, about 150 miles round trip, but soon we are moving to our land which is 25 miles closer, takes less than an hour, which is SO nice!

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
#14 of 166 Old 04-03-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethla View Post
Beth, mom of three boys and I'm being induced tomorrow on Easter Sunday with our fourth...unless our little one comes on his own in the next few hours Maybe some prayers for me as I'm feeling very anxious
Prayers Beth, I hope you don't have to be induced, or maybe they let you wait until Easter Monday

Julie

#15 of 166 Old 04-03-2010, 07:02 PM

Nice to meet you all again We're in Ohio right now, my sister in law and her husband are being brough into the Church tonight! So we drove out to be here.
#16 of 166 Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I start a thread then I do not even post. Okay it is Holy Week. I can use that as an excuse. Actually just came into check as I am trying to get the kids showered and dress so we can go to Easter Vigil tonight.

I am Heidi, mom to Johnny 19, James 17, Levi 12, Liam 10 and Maggie 2. I have been married to my wonderful husband John for over 20 years. I am and guess I always will be a cradle catholic. My older two are in college and the younger 3 are home schooled. We live North of Seattle.

Heidi
#17 of 166 Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Bethla prayers and hugs

Heidi
#18 of 166 Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 PM

I've been married for 9.5 years and have four children with one on the way, God willing, in early October. Their ages are: ds 8, dd 7, dd 5, ds 2. We're homeschooling this year (with Seton). I'm not sure if I'll do it next year. I seriously overestimated my competence in balancing homeschool with everything else. I'm so glad we're on Easter Break now.

I split my time between an independent traditional chapel and the Byzantine rite.

CherryBomb - what part of Ohio are you visiting?

Bethla - hope you go on your own

Nice to meet everyone.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#19 of 166 Old 04-04-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Easter everyone!

Boy was last night long. We got to church about 7:30 pm. Mass started at 8:30 pm did not finish until around midnight. I thought my two year old would sleep through Mass especially since the lights were off. Boy was I ever wrong.

Heidi
#20 of 166 Old 04-04-2010, 05:54 PM

mum4boys -I am so there with you. My 4 yo just was at his limit last evening, as was I. But the vigil was so wonderful.

#21 of 166 Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Christ is risen, Alleluia! Hope you all had a blessed Easter.

Ethel, we were down around Columbus, just got home an hour ago!
#22 of 166 Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Karen, married to Chris, mom of 9- Katie (16), Jack (15), Ian (13), Grace (11), Emma (9), Ben (6), Lucy (almost 4), Tristan (almost 2), Max (arriving in June)
We homeschool using Mother of Divine Grace. Have used just about every other Catholic curriculum out there and finally settled on MODG. Katie is hoping to go to University of Dallas after she graduates, she has been there twice, once for 2 weeks, and loves it.
We live southeast of San Antonio but are Yankee transplants having lived in CT, NY, NJ, FL and KY before coming here in 2006.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#23 of 166 Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumcrunch View Post
Karen, married to Chris, mom of 9- Katie (16), Jack (15), Ian (13), Grace (11), Emma (9), Ben (6), Lucy (almost 4), Tristan (almost 2), Max (arriving in June)
We homeschool using Mother of Divine Grace. Have used just about every other Catholic curriculum out there and finally settled on MODG. Katie is hoping to go to University of Dallas after she graduates, she has been there twice, once for 2 weeks, and loves it.
We live southeast of San Antonio but are Yankee transplants having lived in CT, NY, NJ, FL and KY before coming here in 2006.
Where did you live in CT? I was a nanny/homeschool teacher for a family there for a year. We went to mass in Moodus, and also the St. Benedict centers in both Still River, MA and Richmond, NH.

You moved a lot! I did as a kid because my dad was in the military.

Julie

#24 of 166 Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 PM

I lived in Stratford which is along I-95 between Bridgeport and New Haven. We went to Mass at St. Cyril and Methodius in Bridgeport and Christ the King in Ridgefield.
Dh works in the grocery biz which moves people around almost as much as the military :P
at least here in Military City, USA having moving all over the place is fairly common. It seems all our friends are either a)native Texans/San Antonians who were born here and will die here or b) military, either active duty or retired and have been everywhere.

#25 of 166 Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 PM

Thought you all would appreciate this. My four year old and I have been working at bedtime on her memorization of the Hail Mary. I asked her tonight to say what she knew of it and I would help her along when she got stuck.

She began,

"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of the loom, Jesus."

NO idea where she heard of "fruit of the loom", she hardly watches TV and almost no commercials! It was so funny, she was serious and I had to try really hard not to laugh.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#26 of 166 Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 PM

Oh so funny! Thank you for sharing! I love little ears..

#27 of 166 Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 PM

4 year olds are always a blast.
On Sat my neighbor came over to drop off an Easter cake for the kids. Lucy very seriously told her, "June is dead. (our recently deceased guinea pig)"
and just as intently
"Jesus is dead too!"
She obviously "got" Good Friday.

I was afraid she thought that June would resurrect on Sunday too and she did ask if June was also going to come back to life but didn't make a fuss when we told her no, June won't come back to life, she was a guinea pig, not God.

#28 of 166 Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 AM

Hey all!
I just wanted to post and ask for some prayers.
I am struggling with my relationship with my beau. I love him and am thinking about marriage with him. But, I am still working toward my annulment.
I never intended to start seeing anyone until I had my annulment in hand, if that ever happened. He just fell in my lap. He is a friend of a friend, and we met at a get together. And things just happened.
And he has met me little girl, and they love one another. I am so happy that she has such a positive male influence in her life, and that he loves her as much as I do. They enjoy spending time together- playing outside, Wii, legos, tea party, and watching silly sci-fi movies together.

I just... I don't know what to do. I don't want to pull his presence from her, as she is benefitting so much from it. She was reeling after my divorce, and my father isn't home a lot (we currently live with my parents, and my dad works for the state department and in foreign countries), so the positive male presence is so wonderful. And I am working so hard to just be friends with him, and he knows this and does nothing to cause me internal issues. He knows how I feel, but doesn't try to encourage me to sin. Which I love about him, among the many other things I love.
I just don't know what to do.
Please pray for me, and my daughter, in this situation.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#29 of 166 Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been lurking a long time ... I'm not sure I'm totally traditional but I try my best. I converted almost a decade ago right before my wedding. Ironically, dh has fallen away from the church. I had to beg him to come on Easter. I try to bring my dd (almost three y/o) with me for mass every week. Sometimes I go alone which I must admit is nice so I can focus but she really should be going more. I absolutely love one of the priests in my parish. He is so joyful. He stayed after a special mass last Wednesday to hear my confession. I hadn't gone to reconciliation in a long time. I don't know why I waited so long. I feel like a weight has been lifted now.
Anyway, I'm glad to join you and hope everyone had a blessed Easter!

mama to three little ladies
#30 of 166 Old 04-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Hi Heidi

I am Cathy married to Justin for 10 years this summer and we are both mostly cradle Catholics.. though both grew up in mixed religion homes. We have 4 kids the oldest is 8 and the yougest 2 and we are expecting someone new the begining of next month!

Hope everyone had a very Blessed Easter.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page