mt!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#32 of 47 Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post

Thanks! I got both my HBAC and a beautiful little girl. We're going to name her Naomi Noa.

#33 of 47 Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 PM

mazel tov! I love the name

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#34 of 47 Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM

Yikes. I just found out I'm designing and teaching the shavuot class (just the early part of the evening, then I'll join the adults) for 2-5 year olds with only 1 other person. Not QUITE what I signed up for (I couldn't make the meeting.) I have no expeirience with that age group, only older kids and younger babies, and have never celebrated shavuot before. I kinda thought I would be teaching, but not so much designing... this will be a challenge.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#35 of 47 Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 AM

I realize this is my third post in a row, I'm very sorry about that.

I'm feeling very sad tonight. Our rabbi asked us to come late tonight to a senate meeting at our local university (UC Berkeley). A few weeks ago, they voted to divest from Israel, and all companies with interest in Israel. The bill was vetoed, though they are voting to overturn the veto tonight. The bill was followed with rocks thrown through our local kosher restaurant, and our local kosher bakery, with anti-zionist vandalism on the local Jewish federation building. Many Jewish students on campus feel threatened because they are jewish.

This is breaking my heart. I grew up in this area with anti-semetism a thing that happened somewhere, far away, to other Jews. I never really had experienced anti-semetism. I guess I still haven't, but it's just... my safe little bubble is bursting.

#36 of 47 Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 AM

tis appened in berkeley?! wy wasnt tis in te news?!

#37 of 47 Old 04-29-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
(UC Berkeley). A few weeks ago, they voted to divest from Israel, and all companies with interest in Israel. The bill was vetoed, though they are voting to overturn the veto tonight. The bill was followed with rocks thrown through our local kosher restaurant, and our local kosher bakery, with anti-zionist vandalism on the local Jewish federation building. Many Jewish students on campus feel threatened because they are jewish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
tis appened in berkeley?! wy wasnt tis in te news?!

'Cuz dontcha know that this is anti-Zionism and not anti-Semitism? Huh? Dontcha know that? Huh? Huh?

And dontcha know that if Israel wasn't such an evil oppressive apartheid yada yada yada then this wouldn't be happening so it's their own fault? I mean, who cares about Sderot anyway, just a buncha brown Jews there, so who really cares, right? Right? RIGHT?????

/sarcasm

(fwiw YES there *are* still rockets going into the south/Sderot, every few days. Not like it was before the war last year, but still, it's happening. But hey, they haven't *killed* anyone lately, so it's all just good fun, right? Or turn the other cheek, you stupid Jew people. Learn to turn. )

Sheeesh. Am in a mood today, ain't I. Thank you hormones.
#38 of 47 Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Yes, in Berkeley. I just got back (it's 4:30 am.)

When folks draw swastikas on Jewish students dorm doors, it's inspiring anti-semitism. (that too happened in recent weeks.)

Like I felt before the meeting, it was overall, incredibly heartbreaking. A lot of young Palestinian students speaking passionately with incredible venom and hatred about the abuses their family had endured. A few calls to divest from companies which supply war crimes worldwide, and not focus only on companies supplying weapons to Israel, which this bill does. A lot of young jewish students making fools of themselves in their exuberance. A lot more talking about their fear, and the way the community had been divided over this. (Eventually the veto of the divestment was upheld for now.)
Folks kept bringing up the apartheid and south africa divestment, and what I kept thinking was, the blacks in south africa were not regularly attempting and succeeding in blowing up the houses and children and families of the whites. It was a true act of oppression, not a WAR zone, with two peoples caught in a horrible tangle of violence which each perceive as self defense.

(I am complete pro-israel, however I can understand how Palestinians feel a need to fight back with bombs in self defense. Sadly, if they do so, then of course, Israel must fight back harder, to protect themselves.)

I am so sad that where I once saw only fellow headcovering sisters in hijabi, I know at least for a little while, a little piece of me, no matter how hard I try, will feel a threat and fear from many hijabi's hate-filled stares as they left the room in silent protest in every hijab wearing woman I see in the grocery store, instead of sisterhood.
I am so sad that a room of people who could be friends and classmates, and allies against human rights offenses world-wide were filled with such antagonism, distrust, and fear. That people could divide over a sticker, supporting one side or another.
I am so sad that I feel like I lost a kind of innocence, a feeling of complete safety as a jew. I'm just a little bit scared right now. I'm sad that I felt the need to leave the meeting with other people, beyond just my huge body-guard-like DP, for safety, and that he did too.
I am so sad that this issue forces us to become black and white. Instead of being able to discuss Israel's issues, to admit that some Israelis have made mistakes that may need examination, that Israel isn't perfect and work towards an even better Israel, within the framework of being Jews who support Israel, we had to choose to support Israel without acknowledging it's flaws, or to... disown Israel, as some Jews did.
I am so very very sad that I don't feel safe to go walking in our incredibly safe neighboorhood (which is only two blocks from campus), and on the very safe campus at midnight or 1 am with my DP right now, nor will I for weeks at least I'm sure.

After the veto was upheld, someone rallied the large majority of people at the meeting who supported the divestment to put stickers over their mouths, raise their hands and walk out in silence, claiming it as their victory, where they started to rally. All of the press camera's watched them. I wondered whether the camera's caught the looks the group of 500+ people gave the 25-30 young people standing in a small clump in the middle of the room. The looks of pure HATE. I wonder whether they caught the slow milling of the group, a slight unsureness. It seemed to me that we were saying, I thought we were fighting for our safety. I think we're less safe. Whether the camera's sensed the slow milling of many of the young people, which seemed perhaps to be a fear to leave the safety of the group. And when they started to rally, I gave a little prayer of thanks. The energy of that group was so angry, and so... big... that I was very glad they had a rally to expend some of their energy on, and to distract them, to give us time to get home. Because while they called for non-violence... that much hatred does not feel likely to lead to non-violence. It feels really scary.

(there were probably more like 1000 people at the meeting early on, and maybe a good 40 or even 50 jews. Maybe more. maybe 75 supporters of the veto? the meeting started at 11, but as 1 and 2 am rolled around, folks on both sides left for bed.)

as one of our Rabbi's who was there said, Everyone loses in this.

Not only that, but I bet the students who supported divestment, who wanted to be heard, who wanted to feel safe, feel a lot less safe. Just like the students who opposed it feel a lot less safe.

eta: And now I'm really frustrated. I ran into one of the local rabbi's, who I met last night at the farmer's market. We were talking, and he said something along the lines of "we already knew which way the vote would go. They could have changed their minds, but it was unlikely." The people for upholding the veto of divestment made sure to make some of the important arguments before the public meeting. Grrrr. They couldn't have mentioned something at some point? The Senate couldn't have not held 4 hours of public commentary into the wee hours of the morning, which was painful, antagonizing, and divisive? The 40 minutes of official speakers would have been plenty. I don't think I would have stayed all night, if I hadn't known it wasn't a total free-for-all on the vote, and had no clue who was voting how.
I don't know, I guess I'm frustrated. I certainly would not have stayed up all night long if I wasn't on pins and needles about which way the vote would go, listening to a lot of folks posturing and enjoying the sound of their own voice all too much.

#39 of 47 Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 AM

Mazal tov on the babies!
Happy lag b'omer!

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#40 of 47 Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Just a quick hi. Sharing the love.

Am appreciating you all a whole lot. Not that I hang around too many boards lately, life has been more than a little screwed up, but there is one I visit on occasion since it helps further my fiber hobby that I don't have time for either ... and the Jewish ladies there so regularly piss me off with their unbelievable stereotyping and bigotry ... against other Jews.

I just ranted there about how the threads there are such vicious bashfests and, well, why can't they be more like y'all here. We're all so different, all from such disparate directions Jewishly, but we really do generally get along, don't we.

So figured it made sense to come here and feel the love.

Whew. I feel better now.

Love you all. Even if I don't know you.

#41 of 47 Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Aww, love you too, Amy. You're right - we're a good group, though diverse.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#42 of 47 Old 05-16-2010, 02:44 PM

moshiachs on the way...b'h.

#43 of 47 Old 05-16-2010, 03:42 PM

yeah, I love that here. We may strongly disagree on threads in religious studies, but here, we've got a lot of love and support from jewish women of all sorts and beleifs. It's awesome.

love to you too amy, and everybody.

#44 of 47 Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM

awwww
I don't visit here much either, but yeah, ITA,
#45 of 47 Old 05-16-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#46 of 47 Old 05-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Holy bad mommy, Batman!

Not only did I miss Rosh Chodesh Sivan, but I also missed DS's Hebrew birthday!

So, a late yom huledet sameach to my Tovya! May he be blessed for many, many years to come with health and happiness and may he always be a mensch.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#47 of 47 Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Sivan thread!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page