Favorite religious spiritual music - YouTube - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have had threads here before about favorite religious/spiritual music, but I thought it might be fun to have one where we include a link to a YouTube (or other) performance or recording of our favorite!

My favorite performance is Mahalia Jackson singing How I got over. I first heard it as a recording and thought it was in a hall or concert venue, but she is actually singing in a church.

My all time favorite hymn is Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence. I had a hard time finding a really good YouTube version, but this was the one that seemed best of all that I found.

Here are the words:

Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
And with fear and trembling stand;
Ponder nothing earthly minded,
For with blessing in His hand,
Christ our God to earth descendeth,
Our full homage to demand.

King of kings, yet born of Mary,
As of old on earth He stood,
Lord of lords, in human vesture,
In the body and the blood;
He will give to all the faithful
His own self for heavenly food.

Rank on rank the host of heaven
Spreads its vanguard on the way,
As the Light of light descendeth
From the realms of endless day,
That the powers of hell may vanish
As the darkness clears away.

At His feet the six wingèd seraph,
Cherubim with sleepless eye,
Veil their faces to the presence,
As with ceaseless voice they cry:
Alleluia, Alleluia
Alleluia, Lord Most High!

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#2 of 10 Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 PM

I could post dozens! I also love "Let All Mortal Flesh"...it's a goose-bumpy one. I like both the festal stuff and the more somber things..I was struck particularly this Good Friday by the beauty of O Sacred Head Sore Wounded.

For choral music, I adore Parry's I Was Glad. We had it at our wedding...killed me to be up in front in the puffy dress instead of in a choir robe! I also have a love for Sumsion's They That Go Down to the Sea in Ships....this isn't a great choir, but it was what popped up on YouTube...you'll get the idea anyway. By chance, we were singing this piece the Sunday after Sept 11 and it somehow made sense. I've loved it ever since.

Great idea, BlueGoat. Thank you.

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#3 of 10 Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Dmitri Bortniansky's Cherubic Hymn No. 7 (early 19th Century). Russian Orthodox hymn sung when the bread and wine to be consecrated at the Divine Liturgy are brought into the altar area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJlpa...eature=related

This is in Church Slavonic. The English translation:

Let us who mystically represent the Cherubim, and who sing the Thrice-Holy hymn to the Life-creating Trinity, now lay aside all earthly cares.

That we may receive the King of All, Who comes invisibly upborne by the angelic hosts. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

lady.gif
#4 of 10 Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 PM

JJ Heller is my new favorite, she writes such beautiful songs.

Your Hands

and

Save Me

I also love Sara Groves's version of Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing (my favorite hymn), the only YouTube clip I can find of it is a slideshow of some group get together. But you can hear the song!

I also love the hymn I Am The Bread of Life but I cannot find any clip to do it justice.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#5 of 10 Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
Dmitri Bortniansky's Cherubic Hymn No. 7 (early 19th Century). Russian Orthodox hymn sung when the bread and wine to be consecrated at the Divine Liturgy are brought into the altar area.

Let us who mystically represent the Cherubim, and who sing the Thrice-Holy hymn to the Life-creating Trinity, now lay aside all earthly cares.

That we may receive the King of All, Who comes invisibly upborne by the angelic hosts. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
That's gorgeous! And so beautifully word-painted that you almost don't need a translation. Thanks for sharing that.

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#6 of 10 Old 04-24-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

I was watching this with my daughter, who is five. When it showed the picture of the priest at the altar, she said "It's Jesus at his supper!"

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#7 of 10 Old 04-24-2010, 10:41 PM

I love Mahalia Jackson. I also love the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack. Hank Williams - I Saw the Light. Recently though, I found Snatam Kaur. I love her song By Thy Grace. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6agBMFujPU

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#8 of 10 Old 04-24-2010, 10:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoC1ec-lYps
How He Loves Us by Jesus Culture just gets me every time. It's the Spirit and passion with which she sings it--it's at that pick up point in the middle when the band fully comes in and the pace gets "more" ...it's 3:12 in the video though and on...sigh...so beautiful to me). I love it.

I love that JJ Heller song too. Off to look at the links here. I hope more people post!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#9 of 10 Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Hands down, this is my favourite. I think it's everyone's favourite in my church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6fYA...eature=related

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#10 of 10 Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 PM

I have a lot of favorites, but this is the one that gets stuck in my head for days. Hillsong singing Hosanna.

Chris Tomlin moves me with just every song he sings. My faves are:

God of this City
and
Indescribable.

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page