May Pagan Circle - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That all sounds so lovely!!

Right now I'm very consumed with finishing up school work with my son. But in the very near future, I have plans to move my altar. Currently it sits facing South, so having to move it around (which was supposed to be easy since it's on wheels) is difficult enough that I'm usually just moving everything.

I do have "formal" classes yes, it's a small coven, there are 7 of us together. The 101 class has two students including myself. I couldn't handle it if I were trying to learn this on my own. That's so awesome that you can, and are!

I will be writing my report on Lugh, and He is the Celtic God of Harvest, and Light. And my Goddess report will be on Brigid.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#122 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 04:37 PM

mamaofthree:
Clay: I hope your head feels better.
And to everybody: Boo with the bad weather.

We finally have summer. I have certainly revised my definitions of Spring & Summer since moving to AK from GA. Spring is when the snow is melting more than accumulating. Summer is when it hits 50 degrees. It doesn't matter there is still a bit of snow around or that the grass isn't green or the trees have yet to leaf out!!

I'm taking DD to the naturopath tomorrow. She's had a running nose & cough since April 2nd. The cough seems to be mostly post-nasal drip caused - but over a month, come on. I'm suspecting it might be a food allergy. All the dust here since the snow has been melting has been getting to me - but her's is constant. I'm not looking forward to an elimination diet - I guess I should look at it as an opportunity to lose some more baby weight. The 1st 20 came off easy - the last 20 aren't budging. It would help if I didn't have a killer sweet tooth - or at least better resistance to temptation.

Tonight I have to talk to DH about my being out-of-town for a work trip, sans baby, for 2 nights. $600 to fly somebody out to the bush with me to take care of baby, so not realistic. So now I'm wondering do I try and network to find somebody local to watch her during the day in Chevak or Napakiak. My co-worker/project mgr also has childcare issues -- she has custody of her 10 y.o. granddaughter. But "GG" would be fine staying at a friends for a few nights. I don't know....

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#123 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
Does anyone work with Brigid and or Lugh?
I work with Brigid. She is my house Goddess.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#124 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Brigid was mentioned on Days of Our Lives today. It was meant in the context of women's empowerment. Interesting.

#125 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Brigid was mentioned on Days of Our Lives today. It was meant in the context of women's empowerment. Interesting.
Wow! like sands through the hourglass of time, so are the days of our lives...

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#126 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the healing energy all! I'm feeling a lot better today. Though when Ro decided to comb my hair... well... that didn't happen. She did learn a new word though!

Irish recon (and Brigid along the way)... well, long, long ago I was a catholic. My mom's family is Irish, Irish catholic specifically, so while I got a lot of "fairy tale" and Irish social traditions they were all set out in a catholic manner. As I started to question where I "fit" in the catholic picture I moved from roman catholic to "Irish catholic". It's similar, but follows a different calendar/has a different focus/interprets catholicism through a different lens. The celtic rite wikipedia page is readable(ish).

So, after a time practicing in a Celtic Rite church, I felt like I still didn't exactly "fit". I kept looking and discovered Irish Reconstructionism. There is an amazing FAQ for Celtic Recon here. It describes things better than I could, and in more detail. But the very short form is that recon faiths try to follow the religious practices of a specific group as closely as possible. As if pagan Ireland was never converted and simply continued along a pagan path into the present. This means that certain elements (like animal sacrifice) can be avoided since the goal isn't to recreate the world of the X people... traditional religions are so worked into the "every moment" of a group that unless the goal was recreating the social/economic/technologic/geographic/etc reality of people X there really is no way (and no reason) to exactly replicate their religious practices. BUT the goal is to remain true to those practices. So, for instance, there is no evidence that the people of Ireland used a Maiden/Mother/Crone conception of the Goddess. They were also "classic" polytheists (Brigid and Airmid are not just different faces of the same "Goddess"... they are individuals with their own likes, dislikes, homes, friends, enemies, and so forth). So in a reconstuctionist faith every practice needs to be documented... a lot of academic work goes into tracking down practices, analyzing the evidence, researching it and comparing the sources. In addition to actually trying the practice/ritual and seeing how the deities respond.

It can be a lot of work... the CR FAQ has a wonderful reading list.... but there aren't many established groups. There aren't "recon 101" books or "year and a day" programs. Anyway, I was learning modern Irish and practicing with an online community and it was getting to be too much. I felt a strong pull towards Brigid and Airmid but when I discovered Reclaiming (with it's relationship to Brigid) it felt "close enough" and a heck of a lot easier to learn/fit into my life. After a few years with Reclaiming (wonderful years, and I still love them) I became even more confident in myself and gradually morphed into the eclectic kitchen witch I am today.

I never thought I'd return to the recon path since it's not like I've got a lot of free time to learn Irish and all that, but it's been growing on my mind. Little things here and there suggesting I should be focusing more on this. Irish language resources being mailed to me (or current resident ), CR friends touching base after years (thank you facebook), finding CR books on my bookshelf (the girls found them and shelved them) or in thrift stores (and how those books ended up in a salvation army, even in a college town, is beyond me!). Up to and including a very specific dream in which Brigid requested this of me, followed the next morning by the spring popping up at my doorstep. So I pulled up the CR FAQ, moved my books to the top shelf, dusted off my language learning tapes... and we'll see what happens.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#127 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I had an emergency brain MRI today. Hoping to hear the results on Thursday. I'm a little nervous and would love some calming energy. I know it's probably clear but one can't help being a little afraid.

#128 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 PM

DoK:

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#129 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 PM

oh DoK! Yikes! I'm so sorry, and I hope this is the end of the scary journey... they need to tell you what is going on and how it can be fixed. Big globs of healing, hoping, hugging energy to you and yours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
the chicks are here... 4 golden comets and 1 araucana.... and Laia told the clerk at lowes (while we got paint) "I love my chickens more than my sister". Sigh!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#130 of 638 Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
one can't help being a little afraid.
I'm sending some calm clarity your way.

Vojerleda :yawning, sahp to (03/06)dd1 and (11/08) dd2 , married & living on the border w/dh .
#131 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
thankfully it wasn't circ, but she got her dd's ears pierced, which is whatever. she took her to the ped to have it done and then sat in the corner not even holding her dd and covered her ears and shut her eyes... because the baby was crying so hard. but you know, it was so totally worth it because she looks so cute now. blaaah!
Bolding, italicizing, AND underlining MINE... You mean there are seriously pediatricians who will stab holes in infants ears at the parents request???? For absolutely no possible reason other than asthetics? What happened to that little thing...oh I think it's called the HIppocratic oath?!?!? Do no harm and all that???

I don't think I've been THAT blown away for a LONG time. Here.. a paed would just stare blankly at you. Stabbing costmetic holes in ears is not something they do (and most don't do cutting bits off without a reason either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
Does anyone work with Brigid and or Lugh?
I Brighid I've got to have a conversation with Her at some point about this current lack of motivation & inspiration do craft/create. Normally it's my therapy.. but lately.. nada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
We finally have summer. I have certainly revised my definitions of Spring & Summer since moving to AK from GA. Spring is when the snow is melting more than accumulating. Summer is when it hits 50 degrees. It doesn't matter there is still a bit of snow around or that the grass isn't green or the trees have yet to leaf out!!
I remember that WELL! 60 degrees was time to drag out the kiddy pool hehehe. Immediately after we left alaska back in 91, my then husband & I let the boy stay with his Mema and we went to the beach for a long weekend. In November Totally NOT tourist season.. and the people there thought we were nuts as it was in the 60s and hell yes we went swimming It was GLORIOUS!

Quote:
awesome!

Quote:
I had an emergency brain MRI today. Hoping to hear the results on Thursday. I'm a little nervous and would love some calming energy. I know it's probably clear but one can't help being a little afraid.
Oh my.. I hope it's nothing. Calm & soothing vibes coming your way hun.

It was spectacular out today (has been raining all week) so we took the day off school (mostly) and spent it outside Our net was out, as were our phones (darn wireless crapola) and oddly enough it was great not having the draw of the internet

When I came in after lunch though, there it was.. the Abbey Medieval Faire's annual children's day booking information!!! It's great.. book online, pay online, print out booking intinerary and take with you. Only need $ for purchases of food and goodies if needed. Got the boys booked in for junior jousting, making wooden shields, making replica cardboard swords, a tiny tots tournament for the younger two, and archery for the older two! AND with the booking they get free pony ride tokens (pony's are NOT on one of those spoked wheels that go around and around... they each have carers that walk them around the area. I was so impressed with how they were treated last year but the boys weren't keen to ride... this year they are looking forward to it!)

When DH gets home, I'm off to my docs appt to get the thyroid results from last week. Then grocery shopping (and a posh coffee, although it's cool today so I may gobsmack my barista by ordering a hot one )

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#132 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM

Thought I'd update before going to bed We have barely had internet all day (except about 15minutes during which I posted earlier ).. My doc appt went well. My TSH is still high, and she had no problem starting me on synthroid even though my T4 is 'technically' normal. My TSH has been high off & on for 2yrs and that was enough for her. So I start it tomorrow morning Here's hoping that in 6weeks or so, I'm starting to feel like my old self again!

As an aside.. going to get the script filled made me feel VERY grateful for my medicare card. for 200 tablets of 50mcg .. I paid.. 21bucks. That is OVER half a years worth of medication. EVERYONE should have access to that dammit. everyone.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#133 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 AM

no time but I think about you all!

Valérie   
#134 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM

Mornin!

DOK- thinking of you this morning!

Clay- how's the head?

off to the nature preserve today- planting and more planting

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#135 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
EVERYONE should have access to that dammit. everyone.
Yes. That.
Health care (or lack of it, honestly) is so pissing me off right now. It's so discouraging.
I haven't had insurance since 1999. Thank the gods I haven't had anything major happen. You gotta love the people who say "but if you had something happen, it would wipe out everything you have!"
Well, and I'm poor as dirt but I'm blessed to have an IRA that my father left me. It's not much but it'll help if anything major happens.

I'm scrambling to juggle finances and crunch numbers to figure out how we'll get insurance for ds, since he fell through the cracks of SHIP, and still get groceries and gas and stuff.
I've been lucky, very lucky, that I haven't had to work since he was born, but now I have to figure out how to get a job, actually go GET one, and figure out how much I can work and make the money I need to buy insurance for him, yet not reduce the social security we live on, AND make enough to scrape by on. Gawd, I'm so pissed. Yes, and worried.

I so effing hate the so-called health care in this godforsaken country.

Now, M isn't sure his sore will heal by next Wednesday. He says it's scabbed over, but his eye is still swollen. It sounds more systemic than just his lip. I am keeping a positive attitude.

Sold my grain mill for a measly $250 yesterday. At least I have a bit of cash now to pay my old roomie for watching ds while I'm gone. She's graciously only charging me $20/day!!!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#136 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hoping I can settle down with a cuppa and this thread during my break today, but v. busy atm.

Hugs and healing vibes to you, DoK. I'll be thinking of you. Please let us know what's up, ok?

Hope your head is ok, Clay, and wishing M. healing as well, Maia.
#137 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

As an aside.. going to get the script filled made me feel VERY grateful for my medicare card. for 200 tablets of 50mcg .. I paid.. 21bucks. That is OVER half a years worth of medication. EVERYONE should have access to that dammit. everyone.
That's great! I'm glad you got your synthroid and that great price! I agree-everyone should have access to affordable drugs and healthcare.

DOK-

Wombatclay- I'm really interested in Irish Recon now. I am mostly Irish and my dad's family is *very* Irish (Shannon...99% Irish ancestry?) and it's always something I've been pulled to. I will have to look into this more. Do you have any links to books/resources?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#138 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 11:23 AM

DoK- Hoping you're ok. Good results!

ktg-good luck on the job interview.

Aeress-sounds like a lovely day

Maia- May M's cold sore be banished! There's no time for such things on your visit. ITA about healthcare. Ours has changed a lot this year (not for the better), but I don't feel I can complain because I know ours is so much better than most. Thanks for the hugs about DP. He's quite young (low 30's), but when something goes wrong he'll blow it off to getting older?! Seriously. I think it's mostly weight related stuff, and it worries me that this is the attitude he's taking. OTOH, I know all too well how sensitive one can be about weight, so I don't want to lecture him. Sigh. I hope this shifts soon. I guess i needed to get that out

The Good news

Yesterday I took my kiddos over to the house we're displaced from to do some gardening, and my DD asked, "When do we get to move back, Mama?"

A voice appeared out of nowhere, "How about tomorrow?" Nope. It wasn't a God, it was the contractor. Close enough for me. So, today we start moving back. Yay! Yipee! Yowza! I'm so ready to get OUT of this place. I had no idea how being out of our home would put such a monkey wrench in most everything the last 3 months. I can't wait to be settled.

Hugs, calm and good health. Off I go to pack up

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#139 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Cari- glad that you're starting the treatment you want! And yay for the price. So many of my relatives are against any sort of health reform and they get very worked up about it. I totally understand that no system is perfect, but I'd be happy with a system that provided at least basic/bare bones care to everyone.

DoK- on that subject, how are you feeling today? How long do you have to wait for results? How is Roo holding up?

Maia- finger's crossed for your love's health!

Aeress- my hard head is back, just a bit sore on the scab... gentle shampoo-ing and no more "hair cut" games with Ro for a few days and I'll be fine I think. Though I was beyond scatterbrained yesterday and I blame the knock.

chickens- Mike customized the coop a bit more (pictures to come) and the girls survived the night. Since we had gale force winds (trees were falling), insane thunder/lightning, and hours of rain that's saying something!

well- still filling/pumping. We're hoping to get it set up this weekend, have the electrician here on Monday, then start "finishing" the walls in the addition. After that it's just the final inspection! There's lots more to do (flooring, exterior siding, etc) but it'll be legal! I can't wait!

Irish recon- well, the CR FAQ has a great reading list here. Keep in mind that most books are pretty much straight up academic writing, I'm NOT an expert, and I've been away from this path for a while, but I have these:

Druids, Gods & Heroes from Celtic Mythology by Anne Ross
the various "color" books of fairy tales, printed by Dover
Pagan Celtic Ireland by Barry Raftery
Gods and Heroes of the Celts by Marie-Louise Sjoestedt
Celtic Mythology by Proinsias MacCana
Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe by H.R. Ellis Davidson
Irish Folk Ways by E. Estyn Evans
Carmina Gadelica (various translations)
The Mabinogion (various translations)
Power of Raven Wisdom of Serpent by Noragh Jones (more modern celtic rite, but still great and with lots of info... I think I reviewed it in the pagan resource thread)
The Tain translation by Thomas Kinsella (I'm not a huge fan of the ink blot art, but it's interesting in a "cave art" sort of way)

As for online communities, Paganachd is the one that "built" the FAQ. Erynn Rowan Laurie has a nice website with articles, and she sells pdf versions of her books (part of the "support the author, not amazon" movement) there as well. LiveJournal has a few "hubs"... try this one (there are lots of book reviews and whatnot on that hub too). Oh, and a nice reading list and article on ecauldron, here. And WitchVox has resources here as well.

I like many of the individual books by the Matthews but they are sort of a mash-up between celtic rite, neopagan, and recon. I used their daily prayer book for several years (celtic rite and early recon days) and it can be adapted to be more in line with a specific "side" of the line (it's reviewed in the resource thread ) I also like Mara Freeman (Kindling the Celtic Spirit) ... again, not really academic, and not specific to a single "celtic" group. But readable, adaptable, and an easier starting point than some of the heftier books. I like it's format and that it provides "things to do" while you research more.

Ok, I guess I should add this to the resource list, huh?

#140 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Wow, thanks! I'll be busy for awhile!

#141 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Wow, thanks! I'll be busy for awhile!

By an off chance, is there Scottish recon? My dad's side is entirely Irish and my mother's is partially, but I have a great deal of Scottish ancestry and it's always interested me. I have Scottish Witchcraft (is that the name? It's buried in my trunk) but it's more neo-pagany. Which isn't bad, I just like a lot of history. I'm assuming it's very similar to the Irish overall.

#142 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM

You asked a librarian for a reading list! I had to restrain myself.

Yes... "Celtic Recon" is sort of the umbrella term. Within that there are Irish Recon, Scottish Recon, Manx Recon, Brythonic Recon, etc.... "Celtic" is a language family, not a social/geographic/nationalistic category (though it is often used as such). And there are recon groups for just about every branch of the family. If you're interested in the Scottish aspect, try Noragh Jones first. It's a record of her research into folk survivals in Scottish communities during the early modern period (so heavily christian, but with the pagan roots still showing). Lots of examples of how spirituality was worked into daily life with daily, seasonal, and life event rituals/poems/wishes/songs. I found it a huge help when I was trying to put together a daily practice. And many libraries have the book. The citations/bibliography would be a jumping off point if the book interests.

#143 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
LOL... I'M PREGNANT!

i need to change my name to mamaof6! lol

h
Congrats!!!:jo y

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsiLeaf View Post
Hi everyone! I keep meaning to post in here, but I get distracted.

We are offically TTC. I resumed charting and hopefully we can hit a bullseye soon. Anyone know of any rituals or trinkets that help this along?

Smoosh was also hit with a NASTY stomach bug this weekend and now I think I have a touch of it. I feel awful.

Hope everyone is doing well. I need to keep up more.
Good luck!!

Quote:
can i just say: if you choose to do stuff to your kids, at least have the balls to be present and support them. UGH! people make me crazy! this is why i don't do facebook. grrrr! lol ONE DAY, ONE DAY on there and i want to smack someone. lol

h
I've had friends like that. They're gone now.

Quote:
thankfully it wasn't circ, but she got her dd's ears pierced, which is whatever. she took her to the ped to have it done and then sat in the corner not even holding her dd and covered her ears and shut her eyes... because the baby was crying so hard. but you know, it was so totally worth it because she looks so cute now. blaaah!

on a happier note, my mom put some money in our account to get ds#4 a bike. it is so funny. the bike is so tiny. he is so happy sitting on it with his big ol' helmet. i will have to post some pix soonish. lol

h
That's awful! Dd wanted hers done as an affirmation (for those of you that know about my dd), but I held her in my lap, dh held her hand, and we were all together. She never felt more supported.

Quote:
I hope all is okay DoK. Sending you healing energy.

Sorry if I missed anyone and hope all had a great Beltane. We had a lovely one, but I haven't had the energy to post it in my blog. The kids made fairy wings and cupcake cup flowers.

My dog hasn't been feeling herself. I found out she had perionditis (sp?) and I felt awful. We've been now brushing her teeth twice a day and we've changed her food.

The kids are doing great. Dh, got his dream job and we've taken the MIL and my mother out of the picture. It's lonely for me at times to not have female adult interaction who have BTDT, but I have great friends.

Hope you all have a great Mother's Day!

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#144 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 01:38 PM

DOK- s I hope for everything clear and you will get to the bottom of this!

Unschoolin' - yay for your DH getting his dream job, bummer about the decreased feminine energy to surround you.

Clay - Yay for new little chicks! I feel like I'm coming late to the party in trying to understand your house - are you & your family building right on the land? If so - that's so cool and my hats off to you!

Maia - M's eye now? That man is falling apart without you!! I totally agree about healthcare, I would like my obamacare now plz... and a lol chezburger plz

Cari - I have thyroid problems here too, and on the synthroid when i remember to take it. In other news I am enjoying a nice cup of coffee as I type this out and was reminded of you

Femme - it wasn't a god, it was contractor! I love that! I hope you get moved back into your house quickly!!

Thoughts and hugs to everyone, I am buckling down to finish my "final" paper for class (Law & Bioethics) and its a doozy. My argument - Maternal/Fetal Conflicts - who's rights should be considered under the law and in medicine? I just need 5 pgs double spaced and to argue my point clearly and consistently. Then its summer break - woohooo!!!!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#145 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks, Wombatclay! Is this the Norah Jones book?: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Raven-Wi...3167320&sr=8-1 It's missing through ILL, so I think I'll have to order it.

unschoolinmom- for your dog, Yay! for the dream job, and another for lack of female interaction. I know how much that hurts. Oh to dream of living in a commune...

#146 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 02:30 PM

question: now if you go along with "the secret" stuff you know that it is sort of "ask, believe, receive" sort of thing. you put out your request, you believe you will get it and then you need to receive the thing you asked for. so dh and i have been having money issues (as you all know and have been so nice to talk with me about). i put on my TM "abundance" i put lakshmi on my TM, i put gold coins on my TM. ok so there you go. i am trying not to stress about money, you know counting our blessings, keeping my hands open to let money flow in and out, etc. but getting pregnant this soon, well shocking! we have very little saved and i am trying to be ok with it all. i had a bit of a freak out this morning while i looked at the bills. started crying, feeling all alone. thinking maybe we should get on mainecare, and i should apply for WIC. i need to do something. i have applied at all the hosp in the area, and nothing. all i can get at work now is one 12 hour shift a week, and i found out they hired two new grads one for days one for nights. so my once a week shift is probably gone in a few months. (although i can search the hospitals other units and maybe get one shift a week). dh has not been able to find anything in the state other then what he has right now (20 hours a week teaching in person and part time on line work). he could maybe get a weekend job at whole foods or something, i don't know.
ok so here is the question... dh has been offered this great job out of state in NY (up state new york) which he would make more then we both made back in AZ. plus bennies. it is the same job he was doing back in AZ. the kids have no desire to move at all. especially dd, at least until she is done with high school which is 2 more years. ds#1 might be ok with it if he doesn't start hs before we would maybe move. the school has contacted dh at least 3 times personally (not thru a head hunter) and they really want him... BAD! would you do it? he would only be home one weekend a month or so... maybe more. OR we could continue on this path, i could try for mainecare and WIC and we could make it work. It would be hard, but we have been doing it for 18 months now, so i know we can do it. just sometimes it sucks. also... we asked, we believed and this is what the universe gave us... should we receive it? WWYD? be honest.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#147 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't heard the results yet.

#148 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM

mamaofthree- I would take it. But that's just me. Does your dh want the job? I would hate for my dh to be gone that much...is there any way your dd can stay there with a grandparent or something and come to where you are on weekends? Sounds like a bit much, but that's really a great opportunity for you guys and it does sound timely with your tm...

#149 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 02:50 PM

s mamaof3(+3) The questions that come to my mind are the following:

Is there a difference in COL between where you are now and in upstate NY?
Do your kids know or are aware of your financial situation?
Are you able to negogiate for moving expenses to be covered?
Are you renting currently or would you have to sell your house?
Can you do a pro/con list of current situtation vs. if you moved to NY?
Would your kids be involved in a family meeting to discuss this and have a vote (if you laid everything out on the table for them?)

As a kid - I moved 4 times with my parents, and even saw my dad take a job in MN for 2 years (and commute back to us on the weekends). It was rough, but it was something to cope and understand because my parents were very open with our financial situtations. Each time we moved - my parents laid out the facts to us as kids and helped us understand why we were moving (the drivers behind it) and the pros and cons of the decision. When we got older - we had the ability to voice our concerns during these family meetings, but we understood what had to be done because of the financial hardships, lack of jobs or etc. in the area and this was what needed to be done for the family as a whole.

#150 of 638 Old 05-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Hang in there, DOK

Quote:
and wishing M. healing as well, Maia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Post
Maia- May M's cold sore be banished! There's no time for such things on your visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Maia- finger's crossed for your love's health!
Wow, thanks, guys!! I am so feelin' the Yay! with all those vibes, plus mine, how can he not heal?

Quote:
Nope. It wasn't a God, it was the contractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
My dad's side is entirely Irish and my mother's is partially, but I have a great deal of Scottish ancestry
M is first generation Irish on this soil. His mom was from Ireland. His dad was Scottish, but I think he was first generation here. I'm Irish/Scottish by handfasting Which is right fine by me. I lurve Irish/Scottish...Gods only know why M thinks I'm out of my mind, as in "Why would you want somebody Irish??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Maia - M's eye now? That man is falling apart without you!!
Right? But I'm not even going to go there. He was married for 25 years, before, to a woman who co-dependently had his meek-side self believing he could not get along without her. Once they got divorced he realized that he can do domestic things like laundry, and is good at it, too. Grrr on her, huh?

Quote:
thinking maybe we should get on mainecare, and i should apply for WIC. i need to do something. i have applied at all the hosp in the area, and nothing. all i can get at work now is one 12 hour shift a week

(although i can search the hospitals other units and maybe get one shift a week).

he could maybe get a weekend job at whole foods or something, i don't know.

dh has been offered this great job out of state in NY (up state new york) which he would make more then we both made back in AZ. plus bennies.
My quick thoughts before I am late picking up ds:
You have answers right there. Do those things, all of them, for now-- apply for WIC, get Maine health, work your 12 hours, dh gets a weekend job.
Do all of you move? I say go for it. Why not. When I was in 7th grade, my family had an opportunity to move to Germany for 3 years. My brother and I put up such a fuss, knocking down the "for sale" sign in the yard, pitching fits, that we never went. I so, so regret it now.
I wouldn't even give the kids a say. It's you two who earn the bucks. If your dd wants to pitch in to the family pot, I'd say she gets a voice. Otherwise, you're the parents and you get all the say. But that's me. I'm a hard-arse parent

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page