? / Discussion for mommas who have grown more modest for faith reasons - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have something to share and let me start by making a couple of staments

1. innocents / modesty and Biblical woman / man hood has been on my mind a lot recently. I am crating a blog post about it as i condier it in general and in my life. i am all over the blard right now

2. i JUST found this site and have not read all of it yet -- though i have read a good part of it --

3. I am a firem believer in most things (siotes, books, teachers, etc) that you shuld be challanged, consider it, use it as food for thought 9agree or disagree) and then take what is relavant to you -- your kids, your life -- and leave the rest. even if yu vilently disagree with something you encounter your beliefes have grown as you have had to reply to it.

4. this is a very consertive Christian site. if that doesn't appeal to you, jsut don't go there. please do not go there -- then attack me or any other Christian.

http://www.beautifulbiblicalwomanhoo...hop=somedeals1

finally I welcome any dicsussion ...

(NOTE: I am also not supportive the "parenting advice" .......looking at modesty issues here)

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

i know this is an older thread, but i wanted to get back to it

i have been thinking about this alot and reading about this alot --

i have blogging about it

http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/20...-myself-apart/

http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/20...head-covering/

http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/20...al-faith-walk/

thought i'd share -- come comment if you like --

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#33 of 43 Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 PM

I'm a pretty modest dresser and have been for a long time.  I tend to do short dresses over yoga pants.  That's sort of my "uniform."  I have several pairs of yoga pants, a few long skirts (yoga pants under them too), short (knee length) dresses and 3/4 or long sleeve tees.  I usually wear a LOT of layers because that's how I'm comfortable.

Today was a typical day:

long sleeve tee

tank style knee length dress

yoga pants

knee socks

flowy, asymmetrical cardigan

I always feel reasonably stylish, feminine, totally covered and very comfortable.  In warmer months the yoga pants may turn to capris under dresses or skirts, and the long sleeve tees turn to regular or 3/4 length tees.  I still tend to wear an overlayer-but it will be sleeveless or short sleeved. 

I've never in my life worn short skirts, shorts or short dresses unless I had pants underneath so there was no real change for me.  This is really just how I've just always dressed.  I live in a very liberal area where people dress in a pretty revealing way and no one every thought that  I looked odd or anything-I just had a different style.  I don't think it really requires any explanation-you could be wearing more modest things as a fashion statement just as much as you are for spiritual reasons.  You don't need a whole new wardrobe if you just focus on adding in new pieces as you can that make you feel more comfortable.  Best of luck!

#34 of 43 Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I leave my bangs out.  I dislike my forehead (I think it's "too big"), so have side-swept bangs.  It makes it a bit harder to use wig caps or hijab bonnets (since they are meant to be able to rest on the forehead) but I use bobby pins.

For mamas considering covering, come over to the cover-ed girls thread! we'd love to have you!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/kwilhelm06/DSCF0008.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/kwilhelm06/DSCF0007.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32523205&l=c0ad5948df&id=58404283

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#35 of 43 Old 11-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think you have a really cute forehead.

In the summer i usually wear skirts.  Shorts have not been a cute look on me in years...and years...I need some coverage for more reasons the modesty.  :lol

I have always felt modest in skirts and never felt the need to put anything underneath.  They are also so light and breezy that I actually find them more comfortable than shorts.  For a top layer I usually wear a light t shirt (with a tank top underneath because no one can use a decent fabric any more) and a sweater on top.  for summer I have some cute half sleeve crop cardigans.  very light and cool.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#36 of 43 Old 12-04-2010, 03:37 PM

I wear shorts underneath my skirts to fix the chafing issues, too. redface.gif

I made a decision to only wear skirts/dresses (including nightclothes) for modesty reasons. I would sometimes wear things that were too tight, short, or just plain not suitable for public, so I imposed a no-shoulders, no-knees rule for myself. I find myself more comfortable in long skirts (at least mid-calf) and longer sleeved shirts. I still wear my other clothes, but in ways that are more modest (a cami underneath, etc). I'm phasing the old stuff out.

I really feel like I'm living up to the Godly womanhood that is in the Bible (I'm a conservative Christian), and hope that the Lord is pleased with me. transtichel.gif

#37 of 43 Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If you don't like the look of shorts under a skirt (sometimes this can cause bulk or make the skirt lay funny) something like spanx (or a less expensive knock off there of) will not only cure the chaffing but keep you from having panty lines, cover you in case of a strong wind or other unfortunate exposure, create a solid foundation for sheer fabrics, and provide support and shaping.  I wear ones that go from my nee to my chest so it also creates coverage if I lift my arms or something and expose my middle.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#38 of 43 Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

i have a Q for any mom here that cover's her hair --- all of it or leave the bangs out? like HEAD coverd -- but hair visible -- or all hair covered?

I cover my entire head and let the scarf fall down to my shoulders in a way that leaves them (shoulders) covered as well (this type of scarf is awesome for when Im breastfeeding -- now you see baby, now you don't!). I also cover my face when Im in certain (Muslim) countries. Dressing modestly has always been, to me, liberating and purifying. :amazing:  love.gif

joy.gif
"Paradise lies at the feet of mothers"
#39 of 43 Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

how is eveyone doing?  winter is so easy !!  LOL

#40 of 43 Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

hey Modest Dressing Momma -- i need your help again, more

i am haveing a really hard time -- the more modest i dress, and in the past 5, really 3 years i have 'gone up notches' I am finding summer dresses so much harder.  I have 2 big tubs full of sundressed i no longer feel ok wearing.  sleavless or straps.  they are all long enough, and full enough and only a few are too low on the bust -- but they are too uncovered on the shoulders.  so I just packed them off.

But I love sun dresses!!!

so -- any one know of a sundress wioth say 3/4 sleaves, or even elbow lenght slevers? 

suggestion?

Aimee

#41 of 43 Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM

great question and I'll be watching.  I have 3 long tank dresses from JJill that I love, and I just do light cardigans over them and yoga pants underneath.  That or 3/4 tees under them.  I'd LOVE it if they were longer sleeved! 

#42 of 43 Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 AM

I was going to say a light cardigan or an elbow-length or 3/4-length l;ightwieght tee

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#43 of 43 Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

I was going to say a light cardigan or an elbow-length or 3/4-length l;ightwieght tee

great minds and all!

I love the ones from JJill...they're pricey, but they're nicely cut and substantial.  No see through action.  It's a thick jersey and I feel well covered (they fall in a flattering way without clinging.)  I have several and if they go on sale I'll be grabbing more.  It's a good "uniform" for me as they can be dressed up or dressed down.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page