Were you raised UU? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for folks who were raised UU, especially people who have chosen a different faith in adulthood. I am doing a project on the experiences of folks raised UU (I was). Will you PM me if you'd be willing to take a survey?

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#2 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM

(subbing) I wasn't, but I'm interested in your results.

Vojerleda :yawning, sahp to (03/06)dd1 and (11/08) dd2 , married & living on the border w/dh .
#3 of 18 Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, I'll be interested to hear. I've long felt that UU soothes the adult's soul but is too wishy-washy for children. Most of the kids I know who were raised UU are now non-believers.
#4 of 18 Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be writing a whole book, soooo...

#5 of 18 Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM

DH was, and we belong to a UU church now. But I wasn't. I'm interested in your results, too.

Ru , wife to DH . Astin (4/26/10) & Ember (5/19/10).
I have lost my dreams--Dar Williams
#6 of 18 Old 05-15-2010, 11:39 PM

I can't speak personally, but my good friend was. She's a Christian now and not too fond of the UU church. I can see if she wants to email you if you like. She isn't a member here.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#7 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 01:37 AM

I was not raised UU, but as a mother who is currently raising my DD UU, I am interested in your project. Since you especially want people who have chosen a different faith in adulthood, and not become non-religious, or stayed UU, it sounds like you are seeking out people who had a bad experience being raised UU. I was wondering why that was? What is the purpose of the project/book?

I know lots of people at my UU church who were raised UU, but of course they have chosen to remain UU as adults. Should I ask them if they would be willing to take a survey, or would you rather I didn't?

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#8 of 18 Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's responses so far. I have PM'd a couple of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
I was not raised UU, but as a mother who is currently raising my DD UU, I am interested in your project. Since you especially want people who have chosen a different faith in adulthood, and not become non-religious, or stayed UU, it sounds like you are seeking out people who had a bad experience being raised UU. I was wondering why that was?
I have received a lot of survey responses so far, but most of them have either been from folks who no longer are involved in an organized religion or who still identify as UUs. I appreciate these responses, and hope to continue to receive them as they too will be invaluable in what I am writing. That said, I would like my book to be inclusive of all types of experiences because I am really interested in how different people understand their experiences and journeys. It will be important, for this reason, to get responses from a wider range of people.

By the way, Adele_Mommy, if you have not yet seen or read it, there is a book on experiences of lifelong UUs (those of us who were raised and stayed in the tradition) that you might be interested in. It's called Full Circle and was written by Katie Covey (formerly Katie Erslev). The author and I go a LONG way back...she was my childhood DRE .

Quote:
What is the purpose of the project/book?
The book is quite simply about the religious narratives of folks who were raised as UUs. I am interested in how different people come to understand their experiences differently, but I am not coming from a place of judgement in the least. I am curious...interested...and listening. When my brother says that it is but through the grace of God that he came to meet Jesus despite our upbringing, I think his story is important. When my sister says that she is so thankful to have been raised in the tradition of the "free church" because she feels it brought her to God, I think her story is important. When another sister says that she has no opinion on God and is generally agnostic, and that she feels organized religion unimportant in her life, her story is important too.

Part of my interest has stemmed from observing myself and my siblings grow through the years. Though we were raised in the same faith tradition, we have developed very different narratives as we have made meaning of our experiences. I started noticing in my own children that they too were born as very different religious thinkers. My ds and dd come to existential questions from really different places, and it has made me wonder how they might write their own narratives.

I think people's stories will really speak for themselves. I don't want to re-cast them or put them into a preconceived notion of what they should be so my book has a certain angle. I just want to learn from the people who do me the kindness of sharing their stories with me. And I suspect those stories will all be different.

Quote:
I know lots of people at my UU church who were raised UU, but of course they have chosen to remain UU as adults. Should I ask them if they would be willing to take a survey, or would you rather I didn't?
I'll PM you the link right now.

#9 of 18 Old 05-19-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post

I have received a lot of survey responses so far, but most of them have either been from folks who no longer are involved in an organized religion or who still identify as UUs. I appreciate these responses, and hope to continue to receive them as they too will be invaluable in what I am writing. That said, I would like my book to be inclusive of all types of experiences because I am really interested in how different people understand their experiences and journeys. It will be important, for this reason, to get responses from a wider range of people.

I'll PM you the link right now.
Ohhh. It never occurred to me that you already had a bunch of responses and were looking to broaden the variety of stories. I was making an assumption and not even realizing it! Thank you very much for explaining.

I will talk to the people at my church who were raised UU and pass your link along to them if they are willing to fill out the survey.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#10 of 18 Old 05-22-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.

#11 of 18 Old 05-23-2010, 07:07 PM

I was raised UU, I'll be 40 this summer, and I am still a UU. go ahead and send your survey to my pm box if you like. I will do my best to reply.
#12 of 18 Old 05-26-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

I just want to say thanks again, artgoddess.

#13 of 18 Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 AM

oh sure. it was kind of fun. you might want to ask on the UU thread that Adele starts each season. either on the spring one going now or when she starts the summer one next month. maybe both.
#14 of 18 Old 05-27-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks...good suggestion. (It didn't occur to me that folks might just go straight there without checking out the other threads in Spirituality, but when I think about how I get to my favorite threads, I realized that is exactly what they might do.)

#15 of 18 Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

P.S. A few of you have PM'd me and I've sent you the link. I just want to let you know that SurveyMonkey, for some reason, seems to cut off people's survey responses if I happen to check my survey results at the exact moment someone is working on a survey. (???)

Soooo...if SurveyMonkey acts funny in any way...if it sends you back to the start of the survey again after you finish it, or stops asking questions before you get through the full number of questions, etc...if you would be so kind as to start over, and just make a comment to me that you had to start over, that would be wonderful.

That said, out of 129 responses so far, only 14 are incomplete, so don't worry about it unless you have the trouble described above (learned about through a sibling of mine).

#16 of 18 Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 PM

Hi Sierra,

I passed along your link to three people at my church who were raised UU. They were all pretty enthusiastic about it, so I think they will respond. I know of a few more whom I have not had a chance to ask yet.

Here is the Spring UU Thread artgoddess mentioned.

Good luck!

Adele

#17 of 18 Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Adele Mommy!

#18 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I just completed my first of the interviews, and I am even more pumped up about this project now! I can tell that all these narratives are going to be super interesting. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, and I would love to hear from anyone as well who hasn't yet responded.

~Sierra

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page