nourishing your intuition - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you go about it?

Several instances I have had intuitive experiences (I had one yesterday) where I am able to either know what is happening to someone else in the moment or I know what will happen in the future.

What are some ways you develop and cultivate and celebrate your intuition?
#2 of 28 Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM

I have no idea, but I am subbing to this thread. I've had a number of strong intuitive experiences as well.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#3 of 28 Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Not sure about "cultivating" and/or "celebrating" my intuition.... but I DO trust it in the moment when it seems to be clearly telling me something. I pray about it, too.
#4 of 28 Old 05-21-2010, 01:47 PM

subbing as I would love to hear any suggestions from our intutive mamas out there.

I have dreams (off & on), or a really strong emotional "knowing". I would love to work on this more.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#5 of 28 Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 AM

I have dreams about things that are either happening or going to happen in the future and sometimes I just know things intuitively during the day.

I have found that, for me, as a Christian, if I am more in tune with my spiritual life I tend to be more intuitive. Maybe it is the voice of the Lord that tells me these things, or a gift of the Lord to me, I don't know.

Anyway, one thing you can do is to spend time practicing. You can do it with a person close to you who knows you are intuitive, if you want. Have them think about a certain number, name, place, whatever, in their mind. See if you can clear your mind and then say the first thing that comes to your mind. Go with instinct. Do not overthink. This will help you hone your skills.

I also pray to God to give me dreams if there are things I should know. I still feel like I don't have it all figured out. But I just pray.
#6 of 28 Old 05-23-2010, 12:13 AM

Well, when I have a feeling run through me, instead of ignoring it, I pay attention and honor it as often as possible.
Sometimes, I'll get a flash that I should do something, make a mental note and still not act on it (like grab an umbrella before I leave the house or something like that) and end up saying "I wish I had followed through" later on. However, it still provides a good learning experience that sticks (when I have to, say run through the rain hours later).

Just last night, DH and the kids and I were at a furniture store trying to find something for our new place. We decided to get a certain couch and love seat. The guy was writing up our paperwork when I got the WORST feeling through my center. Sadly, my first reaction was to just ignore it and see if it would go away because of the social situation. DH noticed I went pale and asked me what was wrong. I told him and we told the salesman that we'd think it over first. On the way out, we saw another sofa and for some reason, DH told the guy that we'd buy that one instead and I instantly felt awful again. By then, I knew the salesman was going to hate us either way, so we just left. Upon further reflection, the furniture was all poor quality and we would have regretted the purchase in no time.

Today, we bought furniture for real and I never once got that bad feeling.

Great thread! I'm working on this all the time and it's an awesome reminder to keep at it.

DS 6 DD 8
#7 of 28 Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM

The best thing you can do is honor your intuitive experiences. The more you trust them, the more it flows. Sort of like keeping a stream clean so it will continually flow....

If you have dreams or something that seems "ahead", you're welcome to start a journal of some sort to make notes of things. You could also ask questions, look for the signs, make notes of that, etc. Broaden your awareness?
#8 of 28 Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM

I'd love to know more about this too! I often have deep feelings regarding people. I always have either felt comfortable or uncomfortable around certain people. It is often unexplainable and others wouldn't agree so I just let myself feel that way and let it go.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#9 of 28 Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Meditation helps. I've been doing daily meditation since this past fall and I found it helps hugely. I had heard the meditation helped nurture one's intuition but I didn't know "how". For me, I find since starting meditation, I tend to follow my gut more quickly - less debate between my "gut" and my "head", if you know what I mean. And, sometimes, when I'm doing a meditative exercise, I'll feel the usual sense of calm and then suddenly I will think of something - could be a solution, a name, almost a vision - something will unfold quite clearly in my mind - unrelated to the meditation. An epiphany, really. It's very cool.

I use to journal but I didn't find that helped me although perhaps it might help you.

Ravi Singh and Ana Brett have a fantastic Meditation dvd for sale at Amazon.com. It's 2 hours of meditation exercises and it's what I generally use - very very helpful.
#10 of 28 Old 05-24-2010, 04:40 PM

Learn how you receive information first of all. For example are you a feeler, a seer, a hearer? Then hone in on that.

Honoring and trusting it is a really big thing. If you constantly dismiss it then what good is it?

Sometimes keeping a journal of your experiences can help bring some light to how often you are using your intuition as well as what your particular gifts are.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#11 of 28 Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 PM

oooh, I'm subbing here too!

Thanks for the tips guys....

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#12 of 28 Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Wonderful thread...

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#13 of 28 Old 08-10-2010, 01:32 PM

I had an experience Sunday evening that I can't get out of my head, so I came and searched "intuition" and ended up here...

I was driving with my daughter to Target, thinking about what we needed: nap mat, envelopes, something else. I made a left turn in the outside lane at an intersection where two lanes turn--something I do at least once a week. About a third of the way into the turn my thoughts were interrupted by "why are you in this lane? someone is going to hit you." It was so clear. I slowed down and sure enough, the truck in the other turn lane turned right into my lane. It was disturbing. I mean obviously, disturbing enough that I came here to think about it and found this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post
Learn how you receive information first of all. For example are you a feeler, a seer, a hearer? Then hone in on that.
I hear things like this a lot. I always think of it as me arguing with myself, if that makes any sense. I am thinking that this is something everyone does, but I would like to explore it more because lately it has been keeping us safe. Are there any websites or books that anyone would recommend?

#14 of 28 Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 PM

yikes! glad you listened.and thank you for bumping! i've been not listening. i'm usually very good at it, but lately, i've been really stressed and burnt out, and i've been ...i guess, too tired? to pay attention. dh is bugging me about it, telling me i need to do whatever i need to do to get back in tune.

~subbing and reading!
#15 of 28 Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I'm glad all turned out well for you all. I'm subbing too.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#16 of 28 Old 08-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
I hear things like this a lot. I always think of it as me arguing with myself, if that makes any sense. I am thinking that this is something everyone does, but I would like to explore it more because lately it has been keeping us safe. Are there any websites or books that anyone would recommend?
Practical Intuition by Laura Day is a book I enjoyed reading on this. There are other intuition books out there.

Intuition is something everyone is equipped with and can use. It isn't like arguing with yourself because it's "new" information. It isn't like you thought to talk with yourself about the subject. It just "appeared" in your "head". That's partly how to tell the difference. It also feels different too, but that part comes with time.
#17 of 28 Old 08-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
truly the best way of nurturing your intuition is by following it. the more you heed to it, the more you 'hear' it. it isnt that when you pay attention then you get more intuitive feelers or words or dreams. they are always there. you just have to listen to them. they always speak to you - you just have to take the courage and act upon them.

my mom, and my dd and i are all the same way. i absolutely respect my dd's wishes too which sometimes looks like giving in.

i have always had it but didnt pay attention till a few years ago. i mean before as i look back i acted on ones that didnt seem like jumping off a bridge. i listened or have always listened to the easy to follow intuition calls.

but today i make v. v. controversial decisions without knowing what the next step is. for instance i (i mostly feel) got this strong feeling to give this person something so i spend all my money on this stranger. buy them lunch or a text book. and i have no money in the bank, maybe enough food for a couple of days but no money. and something always happens. something unexpected. whether it is money or kind or both.

it is because i am 'doing' that i start to trust my intuition even more. a couple of times i have heard. and sometimes i dream. some of my dreams have been prophetic, but mostly its been more about reflecting my emotional state.

for instance. one time i felt i need to take that route to walk rather than go my usual route. that's how i found my friend lying on the street crying her eyes out with her boyfriend just standing and not knowing what to do. they were breaking up. so i reached down to touch her and hold her and calm her down. she was ok. later she told me she will never forget my touch. my hands felt warm and in someway she felt really loved and comforted with the feeling that things really werent as bad as she thought they were. that everything was going to be ok. heck did i get any of that. absolutely no. all i knew was that my friend was in pain and she needed some support.

there are books out there - but they kinda put me off. instead i prefer reading about others experiences and what happened when they listened. it gives me the courage to do what looks like huge chances. the more chances i took, the more things worked out in miraculous manners and i was safe and so was my dd.

so really the best way to nurture your skills is as intuitive jamie said - listen, hear or feel and then act on it. the acting is the key. AND the hardest to do.

my whole life is based on intuition now. i have taken so many 'leaps of faith' and i have ALWAYS won every single time. it scares a lot of my friends and they worry about me (coz they dont listen to their intuition). but eventually it all works out.

so let me get on my anthropology soap box. intuition is not woowoo it is not anything unique. it is a survival skill for our species. the hunter gatherers had to live on their intuition. if you read about indigenous cultures you will see how much these people rely on their intuition AND observation in their daily lives. its only us as we have settled down and stopped takign chances that we have stopped hearing our intuition.

some of our greatest inventors got the answers because they followed their intuition.

so listen, then act and have faith and trust carry you through.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#18 of 28 Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilDaisy View Post
Practical Intuition by Laura Day is a book I enjoyed reading on this. There are other intuition books out there.

Intuition is something everyone is equipped with and can use. It isn't like arguing with yourself because it's "new" information. It isn't like you thought to talk with yourself about the subject. It just "appeared" in your "head". That's partly how to tell the difference. It also feels different too, but that part comes with time.
Thanks. What you say about the "new information" is exactly correct. It just pops in. How neat!

#19 of 28 Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 PM

like jamie mentions, i get the "feeler" intuition vibes. i can sometimes feel things happening before they do. mostly when riding in cars. i get this warm feeling all over my body and i sense that i need to be/tell the driver to be extra careful on the road. sure enough, many accidents have been prevented b/c of this..

#20 of 28 Old 08-15-2010, 01:33 AM

To nourish your intuition you must nourish your body and soul. Intuition is a function of the pineal gland. Many people have pineal glands which are calcified from fluoride. Taking fluoride out the water and toothpaste is a simple step. Further nourish your body with a whole food diet. Nourish your soul as you wish: music, nature, being of service. Whatever uplifts you. Still your mind and listen carefully for your inner voice. Mine is talking all the time: I just never stilled my mind long enough to listen to it before.

Good luck and remember to listen to your inner self: it is very wise and will not steer you wrong.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#21 of 28 Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 AM

bump.gif

So this morning I heard, err, told myself, that I would probably get another in-person hearing (most of mine are over the phone) before I quit my job in May.  Just now I got an email from a scheduler asking whether March 17th would be alright for an in-person.  Weird.  I've only had one in the previous two years.  Totally unimportant, but that's what brought me back to this thread.

Someone suggested the book Practical Intuition, and i was just wondering whether anyone else had suggestions. Not sure if Intuitive Jamie's new book would be on point?  I need to learn more, because it really bugs me that there is something there that's easily accessible (at times) and I'm just not accessing it.

Anyone had any recent success growing their intuition?

#22 of 28 Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM

I've read for Laura Day on several occasions.  I do not consider myself an intuitive person in any way.  I know her through a friend and it's just something she has people do.  And when she asks you to read she pushes you to answer specifics...she doesn't really accept general answers.  It's an interesting experience.  She also in her workshops pairs people up and has them read for each other for 5 minutes and then switch.  Afterwards you share as a group and the person you are reading for (who wasn't allowed to give info during the reading) talks about their experience and what you keyed in on.  Interesting too.  I've had some really cool insights from people this way.

Her point is that it's a skill like any other that needs to be developed.  Best thing you could do is just read for people for fun, learn how you "get" things and tap into it often.  I suppose you can do it on your own, but it's easier with others so you can sort of hone in on what you're getting and separate that from how you're interpreting it.  Those are my only words of wisdom and I'm not an "intuitive" by a longshot.  So take it for what it's worth!

#23 of 28 Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 AM

I've been quietly experimenting using a pendulum, esp with easy yes/no questions such as "Is this friend of mine having a baby boy?  A girl?  I have been surprisingly accurate with this lately - 6 for 7 at the last few babies born in my life -- but not completely accurate.  My miss was that I predicted (to myself) with the help of the pendulum about 8 mo ago that a friend would have a baby boy - well she lost the baby, but her daughter had a baby boy and now she is a doting grandma to this little guy.  

I am considering doing a meditation program with  visualization exercises.  I want to be able to get more useful information in answer to my questions..

I agree that practice is important, but I'm too shy to practice on real people.  There was a thread here a few months ago about trading tarot readings - something along that line might be useful.

#24 of 28 Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 AM

This thread is just what I am needing. I have fought my intuition for way too long and I am now ready to be open again. I think we all have intuitive skills. I just felt very nourished from a loving grandma for many years and it is right on the tip of my spiritual mind to fully open.

#25 of 28 Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM

Had to share this story here - dh lost his wallet, very unusual for him.  He was sure it was in the house and was turning the house upside down, with our dd's help.  I suspected he lost it at a restaurant he went to the day he found it missing, and was calling cc companies etc. to see if charges were being added to the cards.  

I played "20 questions" with a pendulum to narrow down the location of the wallet - never done that for a lost object before.  The pendulum session said it *was* in the house, in our bedroom.  I systematically cleaned out the bedroom and found it this morning in an unusual corner of dh's armoire that he and dd both *swear* they searched already. Yay for intuition!

I found it interesting that I feared/suspected one thing and that idea was not confirmed by the pendulum (which I believe is influenced by my subconscious.)  The pendulum *didn't* confirm what I feared to be true, but gave me a different answer, that was true.  So I guess I *do* have access through my intuition to reliable information that is separate from my anxieties. 

#26 of 28 Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM

way to go!

#27 of 28 Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM

I'm coming to this point where I know certain things so clearly, with the use of my pendulum... not just "in the moment" questions, but future stuff that is unfolding accurately.  How do I move past needing my pendulum to unlock that information?

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#28 of 28 Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 AM

I believe that intuition is a (very fast) cognitive process, and not a spiritual one. To nourish my intuition, I respect it and listen to it. I try not to worry about things that are not happening right now, and so the real signal of intuition, like fear, are not ignored when I need them. Intuition may be wrong sometimes, but it is always based on concrete signals - even if we are not aware of that. So, I always pay attention to what it is trying to say. 

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page