Z'man Matan Torateinu...It's Sivan, time to celebrate the Torah! Jewish mamas thread. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How was everyone's Shavuot?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#2 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM

It was pretty good. I've been having sciatica/other hip pain of some sort, (B'h, it's mostly healed now. At least I'm up on my feet and back at work.) and so I wasn't up for a lot. I co-taught the 2-5 year olds at the children's program before candle-lighting, and stayed for 3 sessions at the community-wide tikkun (til about midnight). I was too worn out (it was the first time leaving my house/walking further than the bathroom other than acupuncture appointments in about a week) to go to services in the morning, but I really loved what I learned at the tikkun, and learning. (and it was really cool having a community tikkun, with jews and teachers from every congregation and jewish group in the area. Seein a wide variety of jews in one place was really neat. (as the opening thingy speaker put it amusingly "jews with black hats and colorful hats and no hats:)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 AM

Almost nonexistant! We ate lots of dairy yumminess (first Shavuot in 2 years we could have dairy!), and then crashed. No services or Yizkor or staying up late for us.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#4 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 AM

Shavuos was pretty nice here. No cheesecake though. Dh and Akiva stayed up learning all night ( alittle unusual) and came home at some crazy early morning hour - after 6 am .

Anyone know anything about treating ADD without meds?

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#5 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 AM

Tikva, for you or the kids? There's a "Parents with ADD" thread in the "Parenting" forum - we do a lot of talking about ADD treatments without meds.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#6 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM

/wave.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#7 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM

sivan is birthday time here.....3 in sivan means a party every week and then another 2 in tamuz that's 5 in all all born in June....
#8 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

My birthday is 12 Sivan (June 16th is the English date). And my anniversary was 8 Sivan (May 26).

Which reminds me I should probably go out and buy dh an anniversary card.

Heading up north in early June for a few weeks.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#9 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 PM

subbing for now
#10 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 PM

Hey.

Nic, what's going on that you're heading north? Something good, I hope.

State of chaos here. We moved today. I hate moving. But b'H the Internet is up and running. "Shock and awe" just doesn't begin to describe it; was anticipating days of hassle with it. Bli ayin ha'rah, right.

Anyway, hi. Hoping everybody's well.
#11 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Hey.

Nic, what's going on that you're heading north? Something good, I hope.

State of chaos here. We moved today. I hate moving. But b'H the Internet is up and running. "Shock and awe" just doesn't begin to describe it; was anticipating days of hassle with it. Bli ayin ha'rah, right.

Anyway, hi. Hoping everybody's well.
mazel tov on your move. Did you keep the same phone numbers? May it be only good for you.

#12 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Amy, we're just going north so we can spend some time with my family. I haven't seen my bro/sil and nephew/nieces for a year. My kids adore their cousins (and my sil is my best friend) so we're going to hang with them for a few weeks.

Where did you move?

#13 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
mazel tov on your move. Did you keep the same phone numbers? May it be only good for you.

Yeah, same numbers. b'H. Hoping it'll be different karma, though. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Amy, we're just going north so we can spend some time with my family. I haven't seen my bro/sil and nephew/nieces for a year. My kids adore their cousins (and my sil is my best friend) so we're going to hang with them for a few weeks.

Where did you move?

Same city, just about four longish blocks to the west. Hoping this landlord doesn't pull the same shtick ... this moving-every-two-years thing is a pain that I could totally live without.
#14 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Tikva, for you or the kids? There's a "Parents with ADD" thread in the "Parenting" forum - we do a lot of talking about ADD treatments without meds.
Not for me! LOL it's for my ds - hopefully the dr. I took him to on WEd. is onto something and we will do this without meds. She said to give it two weeks, so im yirtze Hashem, we'll see.

Happy birthday!

Merpk, I hope your move was good for your mazel and that this place should be the right one with the right people.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#15 of 27 Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 AM

So I spent Shavuot in the hospital... I was at Tel Hashomer for 2 weeks while the ENT department schlepped me around. I went in for a suspected sinus infection that wasn't responding to oral antibiotics so my dr wanted me on a 4 day IV treatment. They did a CT which shows a tumor on the right side of my face but no real sinus infection. After keeping me in the hospital for almost 2 weeks and postponing surgery twice I finally had it last week Sunday. I go back to the hospital on Wednesday for the biopsy results. Oh and I also had a deviated septum which they fixed. And they still don't know what's causing the facial pressure and headaches. Once my nose heals (about 2 months) I guess I'll start down the list of 'ologist' and see what they can come up with. First stop will be an allergist).

Oh and did I mention I'm still nursing my 14 month old? Who has swallowing and therefore food issues? And who, according to our pediatrician is officially 'failure to thrive'? And was pretty much a full-time nurser?

So I pumped and dumped for almost 2 weeks and when I came home, he pretty much picked up right where we were, thankfully.

We were supposed to have Netanel's Upsherin (first haircut at 3 years old) on May 21st but I was... well, in the hospital so we're having it b'Ezrat Hashem June 18th.

You can see the second official invite here: http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...vite2Small.jpg and if anyone would like to come, PM me We live in Ariel.

Wife to 1, Mom to 4
#16 of 27 Old 05-31-2010, 02:40 PM

wishing you a R"S

Allergist is probably the best choice for 1st stop on your list.
I'm sure you have tried pretty much everything, neti pot, himalya salt, xylitol, are all good at helping clear the sinuses, help keep bacteria free, reduce inflamation etc; Something called Umcka made by natures way is really good at reducing mucous and I recently read that is helping people with pollen and other allergies too.
Garlic is good in general and SA for the immune system and even if you can stand it...sniffing some is supposed to totally clear up sinuses....I have'nt tried that one myself yet.

Assuming your ds is also eating solids you could try adding good fats and calories to what he eats. cream, coconut milk/cream YOu can add to almost anything, smoothies, scrambled eggs , applesauce, mashed banas etc;
maybe adding fish oil and probiotics, he might also be allergic /intolerent to some foods.
have you had him tested for gluten intolerence? that is a bigf one in babies /toddlers who have difficulty gaining/thriving etc;
hope it all works out for you, that's a lot to go through.

btw, that's so great that he just picked up nursing when you got home
#17 of 27 Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 PM

r's!

#18 of 27 Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 PM

r's indeed kmelion

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#19 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 AM

Kmelion--

I hope you are feeling better. My husband had surgery for a deviated septum two years ago, and it took a long time (about 8 weeks) to recover; on the up side, the sinus infections basically stopped after the surgery. I hope that in the long run, the surgery will give you much needed relief. Refuah Shlamuh!
#20 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 12:44 AM

Popping in! r's'!

#21 of 27 Old 06-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Hi mamas,

I know its been a very long time since I posted on this thread and hung out on MDC. (I've been more at JATP than here...)

I think the last time I "checked in", we were in the immediate post-DH's accident days, and I was moving and getting ready to give birth.

B"H I gave birth (our first homebirth!) to ds2 3 days before Yom Kippur. Noam Elimelech is now 8 months.

Dh has made a lot of improvement since the accident, but his recovery will be a long process and not a simple one. He has tried to work part-time since the accident, but that hasn't worked out so well, as he is in a lot of pain and can't focus (a lot of medication). He's working very hard at physical therapy to rehabilitate the many body parts that have been affected since the accident. he's had multiple surgeries, and still needs several more. It's a slow process.

I started a new job (B"H!) when Noam was only 5 weeks old and I was even able to bring him with me for a couple of months while he was very young (thank-god for slings!). This job is very big, and it takes an incredible amount of my time. Its also very rewarding, which is good, but the stress and demands and responsibility is tremendous. It's a great position for me, but being the sole bread-winner is tough and an added stress to being a mom and caring for DH.

We had something exciting thing recently happened that I wanted to share...
Our family and our birth was filmed for TLC's show, "A Baby Story" - our episode aired in April 26th and I just got the dvd (so we'll be able to upload to youtube...give me a bit!).

Anyway, its nice to catch up with everyone. Have a good shabbas.
#22 of 27 Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM

kmelion - RS!

Chava - I saw your Baby Story episode - it was great. I hope you were happy with it

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#23 of 27 Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM

I'd love to see your Baby Story episode!! What a neat opportunity.

We just had DD's babynaming this weekend. It was lovely, and the torrential rain held off until after havdalah, while we were all getting dessert inside.

AND my DS turned 2 this weekend!

Lots of simchas this weekend - G-d has been good to us.

#24 of 27 Old 06-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Yup, we were very happy with the Baby Story episode. They really did a good job "getting it all in" and portraying our story with in a genuine, warm, and non-judgemental way.
#25 of 27 Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Chavelamomela-I would really like to see it but I don't know if I can access youtube from my computer. Is there any other way I can see it?
#26 of 27 Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 AM

I'll let you know when it's up.
#27 of 27 Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM

better late than never ~ Tammuz thread http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...0#post15553950

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page