~*~June Pagan Families Circle~*~ - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to cry today as I received orchids from a famous shop in Paris from DP. It was what I needed and I can't wait until he comes back home.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 PM

maia:

DoK: i hope things feel better soon.

unschoolin: so sweet.

the house was viewed today. our agent is going to contact the other agent this evening and see how it went. while the house was being viewed we went out for burgers and stopped by a park and the kids played. it was nice to be out as a family, watching the kids run and laugh and dh played Frisbee with them. he has been so stressed and crabby that mostly he is just unpleasant to be around, but this afternoon was nice.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Still raining, and a sore throat to boot, but Ro is feeling better (and using the potty despite the UTI! I wonder if the uti symptoms are actually helping in a sort of sensory threshold way?).

Insulation is getting taped as I type... then dh can call the code guys and we can move on to drywall!

I feel this HUGE pull to declutter/organize. I should go check tracy's site. Anyone else feeling like this? I agree storage units are twitchy... a lot of our clutter is in the form of books. But the addition includes 200 FEET of built in bookcases. So once that's done, the books will have a home. And the addition will include a closet that will be floor to ceiling (and that's a 14 foot ceiling) so again, once the space is there the clutter will transform into useful objects in their place. I just don't know if I can make it!

Now, we do have a lot of honest to gods excess. We don't need 10 bath towels for just 5 people, for example. And we have two bottle openers. And a teflon pan I never use because of the teflon. Stuff like that. And the girls have too many toys. I'm gradually downsizing plastic toys and toys that can't be shared (my mom brings dollar store gifts over all the time, and the girls have gotten really jaded)... but even then, we need more space! The play kitchen DH made is wonderful, but it's still big, so it "feels" cluttered even when it's neat as a pin.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unschoolinmom View Post
I wanted to cry today as I received orchids from a famous shop in Paris from DP. It was what I needed and I can't wait until he comes back home.
Aww, YAY! That's so awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I feel this HUGE pull to declutter/organize. I should go check tracy's site. Anyone else feeling like this?
YES!! Me. I am a decluttering fool. Which is good, because for years I have been amassing stuff. Which, we really don't have that much compared to a lot of people I know, but it's too much for me.
I got rid of so much! And there's still lots to go. I sold the shed (dang, Clay, could have sold it to you ) so all the stuff that was in it, is in our spare bedroom. It's all big Rubbermaid bins of holiday stuff, mostly. I have 3 bins for Yule, 2-3 bins for Samhain/fall stuff...you get the picture.
I kwym about getting rid of stuff just to re-buy it. That's just what I was thinking I'd have to do if/when we move to MA.
If we live in a place half the size of where we are now, it will still feel cluttered because all the stuff we have now, even though I've downsized, will fill up a smaller place

And I don't know what to do about our camping stuff, for instance. We've been to PSG for the last 10 years, and I don't know when/if we'll be going again-- but I don't want to get rid of all that! Maybe I can, though. Maybe I can be a minimal camper, too.
But things like the 5-day cooler-- I don't know where in the world we'd store something like that in a 700sf apartment. But I don't want to re-buy that, either. Should I keep it on the chance that we'll camp at PSG again soon? Sigh.

Quote:
Now, we do have a lot of honest to gods excess. We don't need 10 bath towels for just 5 people, for example.
Why not? I use two. One for my hair and one for my body. But then, I have longish hair and I turban-wrap it while I dry my body. Maybe that's not necessary with short hair.

Quote:
And we have two bottle openers. And a teflon pan I never use because of the teflon. Stuff like that. And the girls have too many toys. I'm gradually downsizing plastic toys and toys that can't be shared (my mom brings dollar store gifts over all the time, and the girls have gotten really jaded)... but even then, we need more space! The play kitchen DH made is wonderful, but it's still big, so it "feels" cluttered even when it's neat as a pin.
I hear that. I so can't wait to get rid of nearly everything. I've been wanting to do this for years. It's hard, like-- the other night, I finished the book I was reading. I looked on my bookshelf to find one I hadn't read yet, but I'd gotten rid of them all!
But I have to say, it's so freeing to get rid of it all!

M lives in a 10x10 room. He has to be really picky about what to keep and what not to bring in. He has one small bookshelf with the books that are most meaningful to him, for instance, and if he wants to read other things, he goes to the library. He rents DVDs or borrows them, rather than owning any.
I want to be like that.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 08:23 PM

I'll downsize everything but the books. Good books, bad books, big books, small books, inappropriate books, witty books, boring books... they all stay. Kind of like the quote about "When I have money, I buy books. If there is anything left over I buy food."

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
Just popping in to say hi and
Getting ready for church, so can't stay on, but will reply to everyone later.

Short: Yes, Cari, by "distracted" that's exactly what I meant. I'm not making excuses (I hope) and if I do, please feel free to call me on it.
I just know how easy it can be to make excuses for people we love, been there done that Good for you hun... all you can do is make sure he 'hears' you, don't let him hide from you.

Quote:
Insulation is getting taped as I type... then dh can call the code guys and we can move on to drywall!
200ft of bookshelves, NICE! We *definitely* need 10 towels for the 5 of us I'm a 2 towel kinda girl (ala Maia with the hair) and with the various soaked bathroom floors during kids baths etc, we could probably use a few extra even

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 06-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Clay, are you expecting to be in the addition by fall?

If it were me, instead of spending $$ on off-site storage, I'd pick up a bunch of watertight, insect-tight rubbermaid bins with lids, fill them up with books, offseason etc. and stack them in a well-drained spot in your yard covered with a tarp, for good measure, just to get the place cleaned out. You may find you want to keep the bins or you could resell them.

Southernmommie, Karen, I've been crabby and out of sorts too. Have you seen Tracy's New Moon article? She predicts lots of complaining in the short term, generally!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I'll downsize everything but the books. Good books, bad books, big books, small books, inappropriate books, witty books, boring books... they all stay. Kind of like the quote about "When I have money, I buy books. If there is anything left over I buy food."
Well, I used to be that way. Then I hooked up with DS's father. He was compulsive. We owned a house and he'd go to the thrift store when they had 20 books for a dollar and get bags of them. And they'd amass and not get read. Oh, he tried, but I think he just liked owning them. I mean, musty, smoky, didn't matter. And they were everywhere, like roaches.
When I finally kicked him out, I got rid of like twenty-six banana boxes full of thrift store books, most of which were dog-eared, moldy, and hadn't yet ever been read.
Don't get me wrong. I love books. But I will never own that many, ever again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I just know how easy it can be to make excuses for people we love, been there done that Good for you hun... all you can do is make sure he 'hears' you, don't let him hide from you.
I try to catch myself in the act of making excuses. But I can also delude myself. Which is why I said, if you need to, please call me on it
HOW do I make sure he hears me? How do I not let him hide from me, with his "alRIGHT already"?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 PM

maia--for me, nagging is also an anathema. I hate doing it, but otherwise, I'd be the only one doing anything resembling paperwork/bills/phonecalls/emails. Obviously, that's not nearly a big deal as opposed to say, keeping sober, but yeah, you have every right to nag. Hopefully he will take up journaling. that wuld be a great way to keep away the boredom!

unschoolin'--that's so fabulous!

I attended my friend's 40th birthday party today. Lots of drumming and belly dancing going on! my little baby girl had a hip scarf tied on, and she shook her groove thing to the drums!!!Never danced quite like that before I obviously need to take her to belly dance class (and I wouldn't mind going myself). THey have classes at my friend's shop, so I just should go.

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
I try to catch myself in the act of making excuses. But I can also delude myself. Which is why I said, if you need to, please call me on it
HOW do I make sure he hears me? How do I not let him hide from me, with his "alRIGHT already"?
And that is the 64k dollar question isn't it Wish I had an answer for you

Witchy... littlies with hip scarves, cuteness! You totally SHOULD go... belly dancing is awesome!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
What a lovely gift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
he house was viewed today.
Hope it sells quickly!

Quote:
Still raining, and a sore throat to boot, but Ro is feeling better
Glad Ro is feeling better but sorry you have a sore throat. Hope it's gone by the time you read this!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 AM

Thinking about you, Wolfcat, as you get ready for tomorrow. Wishing you a great first day back!

DeShanna, what an amazing and romantic gift!

Dh surprised me with a gift today, too, also with a French connection. He was awfully proud of himself.

It was a box of.....wait for it ......Cindy Crawford Meaningful Beauty Anti-aging System creams. Made with some kind of rare French melon that prevents skin aging.

Yep. I said, "You bought me WRINKLE CREAMS???" and he said "That's not what those are!" But of course, that's exactly what they are. I'm sure I had a really interesting expression on my face

And a new box will arrive every 90 days unless I decide to cancel, in which case I get a full refund....

I'm sure he didn't mean it the way it came across -- he's a few years older than I am and aging has never been an issue for him either. I'm really happy with the natural, homemade beauty products, though. And yeah, I'm past 40, but also totally not giving a sh** about aging either, looking forward to being who I am.

Maybe this is just another case of how Aphrodite is trying to get me to pamper myself more -- she probably incarnated and sold him on this stuff for me -- and, of course, I am resisting, because I just don't get the girly stuff.

I am TOTALLY making DH a jar of Master Tonic for his birthday. TOTALLY. Maybe a subscription where a fresh jar arrives every 90 days....

Dh has a history of getting me gifts that make me incredulous and then turn out to be the best things ever. I'll probably try the stuff and actually turn into Cindy Crawford or something.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM

This is the last week of school. Thank goodness! (tired of people asking why Roo isn't in school.)

Today is supposed to be 20 degrees hotter than yesterday. We're going from chilly to hot in one day. Ugh. The local beach doesn't open until wednesday though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

I said, "You bought me WRINKLE CREAMS???"
I saw that advertised on an infomercial. It's crazy expensive.
Not exactly a romantic gift.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Dh surprised me with a gift today, too, also with a French connection. He was awfully proud of himself.

It was a box of.....wait for it ......Cindy Crawford Meaningful Beauty Anti-aging System creams. Made with some kind of rare French melon that prevents skin aging.

Yep. I said, "You bought me WRINKLE CREAMS???" and he said "That's not what those are!" But of course, that's exactly what they are. I'm sure I had a really interesting expression on my face

Dh has a history of getting me gifts that make me incredulous and then turn out to be the best things ever. I'll probably try the stuff and actually turn into Cindy Crawford or something.
Oh that's just WRONG LOL... Totally get him a 'subscription' to Grecian formula or something in return

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
This is the last week of school. Thank goodness! (tired of people asking why Roo isn't in school.)

Today is supposed to be 20 degrees hotter than yesterday. We're going from chilly to hot in one day. Ugh. The local beach doesn't open until wednesday though.
Beaches that close... what an odd concept The water temp on the Gold Coast is still about 22C (72F)... it's warmer IN the water than OUT these days! I hear ya about the school questions... some days I just want to scowl & tell ppl to mind their own business!

Still sucking down flu tablets... and if I miss one, the headaches & sinus crap flares to ridiculous levels again... so I'm NOT missing any Will see how tomorrow goes. I did manage to do some grocery shopping.. which is good as the cupboards were bare And I had a freebie coffee from my favourite place so I grabbed a creme brulee and it was lurvely.

Came home and had another coffee with DH on the veranda and I guess the boys had been up his rear the whole time I was out, so he kept shooing them away so we could have our coffee in peace. Poor Connor was sooooo about it. So when DH went inside to start dinner, I invited connor to sit with me while I finished my coffee and we giggled about this & that. Later, just before bed, he was saying what a lovely day it was.. when I asked him what he thought the best part was? he said 'sitting on the patio with you'

MELT goes my mummy heart is that not the sweetest thing ever??

And then Quinn wanted to snuggle in our bed.. and I left to do something... he just snuggled in and went to sleep.. totally adorable. And that's after I walked into the kitchen and found Lucas reading a story to Quinn on the couch. I tell ya... not sure what is into my usually wild child boys... but today they were just makin all the right moves I totally need a day like this with them now and again to remind me that it's NOT always hectic and spaz!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Cari- That sounds like such a lovely day (except for you being sick.)

Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I am TOTALLY making DH a jar of Master Tonic for his birthday. TOTALLY. Maybe a subscription where a fresh jar arrives every 90 days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I hear ya about the school questions... some days I just want to scowl & tell ppl to mind their own business!
Thank goodness in Asheville there are so many homeschoolers that nobody bats an eye. We don't homeschool anymore, but still.

Quote:
when I asked him what he thought the best part was? he said 'sitting on the patio with you'
Aww! That is so sweet!

Quote:
And then Quinn wanted to snuggle in our bed.. and I left to do something... he just snuggled in and went to sleep.. totally adorable. And that's after I walked into the kitchen and found Lucas reading a story to Quinn on the couch. I tell ya... not sure what is into my usually wild child boys... but today they were just makin all the right moves
Yeah, hold onto that image, mama! You'll need it some days! My boy loves to read to people. It's so cute. I don't know why he doesn't read more himself-- I wish he would-- but he's a fantastic accelerated reader and loves to read to smaller folks, and unschoolers who are still working on it.
I keep telling him he ought to be a mother's helper. Get paid to play with people? Rawk!

I just submitted a job application online for CNA. Wish me luck, mamas! My certificate runs out on June 30th
Actually, I'm not even sure I care if it runs out. But how hard is it to work 8 hours to keep it current? I'm such a slacker. I could have done this at any time, since March when I quit nursing school, but no. I wait till the last freaking minute. "Last Minute Annie" is what my mom used to call me. She's so right. Not that I would ever admit that to her, of course

Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM

do people really have people giving them a hard time about their kids being homeschooled? i have had people say to the kids "which school do you go to" or "no school today" and the kids just smile and say "we are homeschooled" and everyone has always said "that's great".

so rowan has out grown his diaper covers. i decided i didn't want to order any new ones till we got to az. so i washed all the diapers and we are using them to pack that china (lol). dh went to go get some disposables and they are scented! YUCK! it doesn't even say on the package that they are scented. they smell like nasty baby powder. bleck! usually when something is scented it will say so so you can get unscented. now i have to go and buy more diapers. yuck!

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 06-14-2010, 12:19 PM

In my culture, homeschooling is a death sentence. I've had more people tell me that as black children, I'm setting my kids up for jail and failure because they're not in school.

I had an awful nightmare early this morning, but for some reason, my amazing good mood is keeping me from feeling upset about it. Perhaps the reason I'm so happy is awful to some, but for me, it's a true affirmation!

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM

oh that's AWFUL DeShanna!!!!!! I would think just the opposite is true. Children that are at higher risk of being recruited into that kind of life would benefit MUCH more so from being homeschooled where they can really learn the values their parents want instilled in them with out the horrible influences.

*I* think you're doing exactly the right thing for your family!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I saw that advertised on an infomercial. It's crazy expensive.
Not exactly a romantic gift.
I'm a little worried that he bought himself something crazy expensive for Father's Day and this is an attempt to soften the blow, actually. Will be watching the visa bill....and probably taking them up on that money back guarantee. What I really need is new underwear.... badly, actually.

ETA Unschoolin, that is a *lot* of pressure to put on a homeschooling family I can't imagine it.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Catching up once again ladies - y'all are fast!

Wolfcat- holy smokes that time when by fast! I hope you are having a wonderful day today and everything went swimmingly!

Unschoolin' that sounds like such a lovely gift to receive

Aubergine - hmm interesting gift? I'm sure it was well intentioned

Mamaof3 - Yay for house viewings - fingers are crossed here for you!

Cari - I love when my boys want to snuggle too, its such a rare moment anymore.

Clay - yes I feel the decluttering bug, chirping around me. I didn't get to do much except try to convince DH we needed to go through the house and clean it out instead of leaving "piles" of stuff we want to donate.

I read Tracy's article re: gemini new moon and I'm bracing for how it will be at work - where communication is poor (really poor) so I think I'll see it play out on this front a lot more than my homelife, but here's hoping!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 06-14-2010, 02:00 PM

unschoolin: I wonder if that is an issue with other minority groups too? because education can be seen as a way "up and out", and that how can you (generalized you) do all of that for your kids? not that school is better at all. personally i would think that your children (anyones really) would have better luck staying away from bad influences if they were with their parents more. school isn't free of violence, angry kids, bad policy etc.

h

Old 06-14-2010, 02:05 PM

I totally agree. In fact, a report for my state just came out showing that minorities have the highest suspension, expulsion, and drop out rate. Usually landing on the streets and eventually into jail.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Unschoolin' your last post reminds me of a comment the guide made to DH & I when we toured Jack's soon to be school about another "alternative" school which had shared the same building as them. She (the guide) was trying to smooth over the fact that they no longer share the building with that program, and yes they were kids who were on the verge of being adjudicated through the system and "phew" they were glad to be rid of them. The tough part of that statement was knowing the local neighboorhoods had a very high minority representation (black, latino/hispanic) and so it was tough to hear her churn out this statement for us (2 little ole white people). I actually felt terrible to hear the program had closed as it was just another opportunity lost for those kids.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Around here, people think homeschooling means that the child stays home and watches tv all day.

I can't post more right now. I'm going to watch Days of Our Lives. hahahahaha.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 PM

DOK - is Marlena still on the show? I remember way back when she was kidnapped, possessed, a killer, and etc... I kept thinking wow that's alot to happen to just 1 woman in that little town

Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM

No, she's not on the show anymore.

Ds just told me that he wants to make potions. How do you think the school district would react if I put Potions 101 on his curriculum summary?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM

Will it be taught by Prof. Snape?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
do people really have people giving them a hard time about their kids being homeschooled?
Not here, but I've had some funny, head-scratching reactions before. Nobody's ever said anything negative. The ones who wanted to, but were too polite to, just kind of had that deer-in-the-headlights look when they went "Oh".

Quote:
In my culture, homeschooling is a death sentence. I've had more people tell me that as black children, I'm setting my kids up for jail and failure because they're not in school.
That's freaking crazy. Really?
I guess I'm still amazed that there's still so much difference in "cultures" among races. I guess I have a lot to learn about other races than mine, which is white
It would be lovely to be enlightened, unschoolin, if that's not an offensive thing for me to say. I haven't the slightest idea how to go about learning about different kinds of people. I'm so dang sheltered. Well, not sheltered, just...I don't know. Ignorant? It's a shame, really, and I don't know how to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
Children that are at higher risk of being recruited into that kind of life would benefit MUCH more so from being homeschooled where they can really learn the values their parents want instilled in them with out the horrible influences.
ITA.

Quote:
I'm a little worried that he bought himself something crazy expensive for Father's Day and this is an attempt to soften the blow, actually.
Oh, no...that would be just awful.

Quote:
unschoolin: I wonder if that is an issue with other minority groups too? because education can be seen as a way "up and out", and that how can you (generalized you) do all of that for your kids?
I knew someone that lived in central America. She was white and from the USA, but married a man from there, and they had a family. That's exactly what she told me the native people think. They thought this family was cuckoo for keeping their kids out of school deliberately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
The tough part of that statement was knowing the local neighboorhoods had a very high minority representation (black, latino/hispanic) and so it was tough to hear her churn out this statement for us (2 little ole white people).
And that's the kind of thing M tells me about the schools where he is. I just can't get it. I'm like...DS's school right now is way too white. They're trying to figure out how to diversify it.
I can't see what would be wrong with ds attending a school that is 50% Hispanic, 25% each white and black. Why would that be a bad thing? Why would there be more chance of violence and gang behavior because of that? WHY would there be more of a chance of ds falling in with a bad crowd?
I wonder if those are real concerns, or just because M and I grew up in a homogenous environment where "other" was bad. I'm so trying to undo that mindset.

Quote:
Ds just told me that he wants to make potions. How do you think the school district would react if I put Potions 101 on his curriculum summary?

You could write down "pharmacology". Only you and ds have to know it's really potions

Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM

DoK - The Hogwarts Summer Correspondence School yahoo groups have lots of ideas for Potions classes, some based on chemistry, some more imitative of the kinds of potions Snape taught his classes about.

User Tag List