Summer Unitarian Universalist Thread - All Welcome - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, the main reason I am drawn to UU is because I am a universalist who doesn't believe anyone is going to hell, and I also no longer fit in congregations where sexual roles are prescribed or where same-sex relationships are condemned.

It's honestly hard to imagine anyone being drawn to UU if they have "fundamentalist" views on salvation or sexuality or women's roles. I mean, wouldn't such a person just plug into one of the many fundamentalist congregations that are out there?

The only exception I can think of would be a "missionary" on a mission to convert UU's to fundamentalism. These people wouldn't really be trying to join, just disrupt. I wonder if UU congregations have ever had to deal with anyone like this?

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#92 of 97 Old 09-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry slightly off topic (although I have been enjoying the discussion)...

I just need positive encouragement from like-minded mommas...We just e-mailed the invite for DS's dedication at the local UU church to my family...that includes my verrrryyyy Catholic, emotionally immature, childish, punishing mother, who did not previously know that I am now UU instead of Catholic. I feel great about our decision, but I am not looking forward to the consequences...they won't be pretty that is for sure. SO any encouraging words are desired and welcomed. Thanks!!
#93 of 97 Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

locknestmother,

That sounds really hard. I have been extremely fortunate in not having to deal with close relatives with different beliefs. I would hope that the simple joy of seeing her grandchild dedicated and the beauty of the ceremony will, if not win your mother over, at least convince her to be both civil and supportive this one time.

Will you have a partner participating in the dedication? Are you going to have one or two Guide Parents or God Parents? Having a support team can make things easier. Also, I bet your minister is an old hand at dealing with relatives from other religions at Child Dedications and will make everyone feel comfortable.

Regardless of how your mother behaves (or even whether or not she comes) I hope you can relax and enjoy the ceremony. My memories of my DD's Dedication are some of my favorite church memories. It was truly a powerful, moving, amazing experience and I hope your experience of your son's dedication is great too.

Good luck!

Adele

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#94 of 97 Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Well I went to a UU that is new to me. I took the babies with me. The people were friendly. The nursery was a little small but they had a good time playing there. I got to sit and listen to the sermon without interruptions. I could've had them with me but I would've ended up chasing my 3 yr old and she would've been loud. The sermon was about atonement. The minister talked about how we as UU'ers don't believe in sin but that we should still try to forgive and be forgiven. I thought it was very timely as I'm having a hard time forgiving my mom. I felt at peace when I first sat down. Then later when he led us in a meditation, I felt like I might go to sleep! There were only about 10 or so adults under the age of 40. I wish there were more of us and even an older lady who mentioned in the joys/sorrows that she was glad that there were young people there and encouraged us to keep coming. It can be a hassle trying to get the babies ready and going alone to UU church but I'm going to try to keep going.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#95 of 97 Old 09-20-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

It sounds like you had a really good visit, Bella. I'm glad.

Thank you for updating us.

The sermon at my church yesterday was also about forgiveness. That's great that you found it personally timely. When I started reading that sentence I thought you were going to comment on how we were just coming off the Jewish High Holy Days (Yom Kippur was 9/17 - 9/18). At my church we often have a sermon on forgiveness and/or atonement at this time of year and I think this is probably common in UU churches.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#96 of 97 Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

It's the first day of Autumn!

Please come join us on the new Autumn Unitarian Universalist thread.

#97 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks Adele Mommy...Things are both great/and horrible at the same time. My mom responded in her crazy way and we are being punished, but I am doing okay with it. I DO have a wonderfully supportive DH, and our close friends are being Guide Parents. Plus, since my family is being so mean and hurtful, some friends are coming to the Dedication to be family by choice for us. So all in all, I can't wait...I have already read what will be said at the Dedication and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I do think the day will be very special for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page