FAST - Tammuz is nearly over! Jewish Mamas thread :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies

Now that Tammuz is almost over I thought I'd hop in.

Good to see you around, Chavalemomela

Our shul is lay-led during summer and I volunteered to lein Torah. Kinda nervous. Reminds me of studying for my Bat Mitzvah

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#2 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Hi. I'm here.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#3 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 04:20 PM

hello.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#4 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Mazel tov! We were just voted in as members to our yishuv. Now we just need the money to build!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#5 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 10:27 PM
npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
Mazel tov! We were just voted in as members to our yishuv. Now we just need the money to build!
Mazal tov! Wonderful news!
#6 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 PM

Mazel tov, jul511riv!

Faliciagayle, good luck!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#7 of 26 Old 06-25-2010, 03:14 AM

#8 of 26 Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Mazel tov! Good luck!
#9 of 26 Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 AM

I'm getting ready for my parents' visit... haven't seen them in 3 years and this is the first time in over 20 years my dad will be in Israel. Last time my mom was here was right after we made Aliyah so it's been 12 or 13 years.

They'll be here for 10 days. Last time they saw Nati he was 3 months old and this will be their first time meeting Eli (he's 15 months).

Wife to 1, Mom to 4
#10 of 26 Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 PM

time is flying by. the other day, I was at shul, and realized it was sort of... my anniversary of coming to shul. That is, the parsha was one of the first I remember hearing/reading when I first came, so it was pretty much a year since I started going. Now it's almost the 17th of tammuz, which means it's almost tisha b'av, which was the first holiday I observed after moving out on my own and starting to explore judaism more. (the first holiday other than passover/hanukah/rosh hashanah/yom kippur, ever). I remember last year reading you guys talking about how your 17th of tammuz fasts went, and being disappointed I missed it.

I haven't started my official conversion process yet. I don't have any doubts I want to do it, but I'm not sure if I'm shy, or I'm not comfortable enough with the rabbi at shul to approach him. I think I'm shy, since I haven't approached any other rabbis. (Actually, I did approach him last year, around this time. He recommended taking a series of beginer classes last winter. I took some of them, but got too depressed to finish them all (which I regret because they sounded interesting. I guess that's part of my shyness. Feeling like he told me what I could do to take the next step and I didn't do it, and how do I come back and say I want to take the next step, in this time when your really busy (summer into high holy day prep), and I didn't do what you first suggusted.)

Also news in my life, I'm planning on proposing to my boyfriend/DP. (I know he's planning on proposing as well, but I decided that I rejected the social conditioning that had me waiting for him to propose, nagging him. It's way more fun to plan proposing to him, than worry about when he is going to propose.) Super exciting!

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#11 of 26 Old 06-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmelion View Post
I'm getting ready for my parents' visit... haven't seen them in 3 years and this is the first time in over 20 years my dad will be in Israel. Last time my mom was here was right after we made Aliyah so it's been 12 or 13 years.

They'll be here for 10 days. Last time they saw Nati he was 3 months old and this will be their first time meeting Eli (he's 15 months).
Oh wow. I hope you have a really wonderful visit. May all of us who long to see our families in Eretz Yisrael be likewise blessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
time is flying by. the other day, I was at shul, and realized it was sort of... my anniversary of coming to shul. That is, the parsha was one of the first I remember hearing/reading when I first came, so it was pretty much a year since I started going. Now it's almost the 17th of tammuz, which means it's almost tisha b'av, which was the first holiday I observed after moving out on my own and starting to explore judaism more. (the first holiday other than passover/hanukah/rosh hashanah/yom kippur, ever). I remember last year reading you guys talking about how your 17th of tammuz fasts went, and being disappointed I missed it.

I haven't started my official conversion process yet. I don't have any doubts I want to do it, but I'm not sure if I'm shy, or I'm not comfortable enough with the rabbi at shul to approach him. I think I'm shy, since I haven't approached any other rabbis. (Actually, I did approach him last year, around this time. He recommended taking a series of beginer classes last winter. I took some of them, but got too depressed to finish them all (which I regret because they sounded interesting. I guess that's part of my shyness. Feeling like he told me what I could do to take the next step and I didn't do it, and how do I come back and say I want to take the next step, in this time when your really busy (summer into high holy day prep), and I didn't do what you first suggusted.)

Also news in my life, I'm planning on proposing to my boyfriend/DP. (I know he's planning on proposing as well, but I decided that I rejected the social conditioning that had me waiting for him to propose, nagging him. It's way more fun to plan proposing to him, than worry about when he is going to propose.) Super exciting!
Good luck on all accounts!

#12 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM

What's the best way to ask a community for help that doesn't seem "neby" or too much like a pity-party?

It's been a year since DH's accident, and in that time, he has had a series of surgeries, goes to regular therapy, and has tried to resume working, unsuccessfully. (He was back to working 2 days a week, but it just wasn't working - he lost his job last week). He has made great strides with his therapy, and is getting stronger, but its a long and painful process.

DH has now shifted to a different pain medication so he can have more consistent pain-relief and do his physical therapy even more, get even stronger.
Because of the new drug, he no longer can drive or work and is basically home-bound (aside from the trips to therapy and doctors).

I work full-time and am not around during the day, and frankly, DH is bored and could use some company. He is very smart and very friendly, and would love some visits from men, women, kids, etc. He would enjoy it.

I am posting a note on our local community list for visitors for him, but I don't want to sound to "nebach" (pitiful). DH is not pitiful. He is a strong person, we are both strong people who have just been put into a terrible situation and are trying to handle it as best as we can. But even strong people are pitiful sometimes.

I am concerned about the pity, because both DH and I are sensitive to this. We really don't like to be "nebach." Also, I find people are less likely to want to help those who are in situations where they wallow in misery, kwim? Since I am asking for a concerted community effort to visit DH, I want to voice it in as positive terms as possible.

Any tips?

Thanks!
#13 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 03:57 PM

I would kind of just let go of the not wanting to be "pitiful" thing. I understand that you are nervous about this, but frankly, it's a mitzvah to visit the sick and you are giving people the opportunity of doing a mitzvah. So I would just ask for your request, I would also ask friends. Perhaps your rav or others that you know and trust if they can put the word out. Maybe help your husband meet like minded men online that he can talk with. Think of projects he can do from the house. I don't know if he's bedridden or if he can get up and walk a bit around the house, but maybe there is something he can do to help others from home. Maybe if the beit knesset is making mishloach manot, for example, he could offer to put together baskets or something from home. This sort of thing. If he is able to GIVE to others while also reaping the benefits of having company, that makes this all the better. Good luck.

#14 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Because of the medications, he doesn't have the focus and concentration to do projects (that's why working didn't work out). But he could use company. I am trying to put the word out on multiple networks.
#15 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 12:40 AM

(cross-posted on Birth & Beyond)

Here it is! We finally got it up on youtube:

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLyOyfHkZY

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux9xl...eature=channel

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur5Ur...eature=channel

part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15J77...eature=channel

Part 5 (Bonus) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVoPH...eature=channel

Please let me know what you think! We were very happy with the episode.
#16 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM

We loved it!! I started out annoyed at the "she wants a homebirth but will the pain be too much?" at the beginning, but otherwise, they were wonderfully respectful and it was a GREAT show!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#17 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Best episode of The Baby Story I have ever seen! What a cute family! Thank you so much for sharing!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#18 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 04:23 PM

So I just saw that Chavelamomela's got a cute little red head, and I've got 2 little red heads. I was wondering how many other Jewish mamas here have red heads in the family too. Also, does anyone know if there is a traditional story/explanation for Jewish red heads? I'd love a cute comeback or interesting tale to tell people who assume my kids' red hair comes from the Irish side of the family.

#19 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 PM

My red-head ds also has green eyes...

As you saw, both DH and I are brunettes, and our parents and grandparents were all brunettes too.

We had to go back 5 generations on each side to find redheads!

Oh, and FYI, ds2, Noam, who was born with a full head of dark brown hair...is turning very light, and has a lot of red highlights! (on a recent trip to Israel, a cabdriver insisted that this is called "Gingi Sfaradit" or "Sephardic Redhead")
#20 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
So I just saw that Chavelamomela's got a cute little red head, and I've got 2 little red heads. I was wondering how many other Jewish mamas here have red heads in the family too. Also, does anyone know if there is a traditional story/explanation for Jewish red heads? I'd love a cute comeback or interesting tale to tell people who assume my kids' red hair comes from the Irish side of the family.

You might want to remind anybody who asks about "Jewish redheads?" that King David was a redhead.

And while Esav (Esau) isn't considered a Jew to emulate, he was very definitely red, and very definitely the grandson of Avraham Avinu, the son of Yitzkhak Avinu, and uncle to the 12 tribes. Along with being Yaakov Avinu's twin.

So there's definitely redheads in the family.

:-)
#21 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM

I'm not red-headed, but it's very red in the sun. I always figured it had to be from the small scottish side (though no evidence of any red or reddish hair there.)

#22 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mags - good luck on all accounts! I hope you'll share the story of your proposal when it happens

Chavale - beautiful! Like Sara, I was also annoyed at the whole "can she handle the pain" thing but otherwise, it was lovely. You have a beautiful family I was surprised how little there was of the actual labor and birth.

Sara - how late is too late to back out of reading torah? I'm slated for July 24 and I'm feeling super nervous. The summer crowd isn't as thin as I thought it would be and well...

DD was reddish when she was younger, now her hair is dirty blonde. Both Dh and I are brunette (DH is super dark, too). Whodathunk? now DS is red and very blond - strawberry! He's got a patch of white hair on the side of his head, I hope it stays.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#23 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post

Chavale - beautiful! Like Sara, I was also annoyed at the whole "can she handle the pain" thing but otherwise, it was lovely. You have a beautiful family I was surprised how little there was of the actual labor and birth.
its actually more surprising to me how MUCH there was of the labor! the film crew actually didn't arrive until about...5 minutes before Noam was born (traffic, apparently). I hadn't realized how much DH had actually caught on tape during the labor (He was awesome, and he was doing this all the while thinking "what if they don't make it? I have to save the show!"). But he never let on and I really didn't notice.

So you want to know a bit about reality tv...

Okay, there was one teeny part we "faked" - by that, i mean we re-enacted. We described on the show how to get things moving, my doula encouraged me to take a walk outside. We did that. But we never caught it on tape.

3 months later, when they came back for the follow-up visit, I dressed in a big loose coat and the same snood I wore while laboring and re-enacted a few contractions on the walk! (They told me I'm a natural, a good actress). So while the walk happened, I wasn't really wearing make-up and a winter coat during labor!

But the timeline was true to the actual labor, as were the descriptions of what happened. The interviews obviously happened later, but we talked about them as if we're "in the moment"

They also re-enacted the shots of the doula arriving into the building and the MW coming out of the elevator with her bags. Not a "lie" so much as giving them images to work with to tell the story. But no, I didn't deliver the baby again!
#24 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
You might want to remind anybody who asks about "Jewish redheads?" that King David was a redhead.

And while Esav (Esau) isn't considered a Jew to emulate, he was very definitely red, and very definitely the grandson of Avraham Avinu, the son of Yitzkhak Avinu, and uncle to the 12 tribes. Along with being Yaakov Avinu's twin.

So there's definitely redheads in the family.

:-)
Thank you, merpk! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

#25 of 26 Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM

Eve I cried.

A beautiful show.

But for real Chavela, that is such an awesome video. I cried.
#26 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 PM

it's been a while. elul's over here

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9#post15730529

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page