Traditional Catholic Moms Summer 2010 chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 139 Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our meeting w the priest is this afternoon. Pls pray that dh and I can come to an agreement of sorts.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#62 of 139 Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nicole hugs and prayers to your family.

Heidi
#63 of 139 Old 08-15-2010, 04:15 PM

The meeting went really well. Now dh and I have days of prayer and contemplation ahead of us. I feel like the priest was truely speaking through god. Unfortuantely they don't all feel that way.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#64 of 139 Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 PM

I wish you luck, theboysmama

I am fully into my first cycle for the Marquette NFP study, and I am really excited!

My first Holy Sacrifice of the Mass at St. Vincent de Paul in Elkhart was lovely! Father was right on target with his homily, and the music was so very uplifting!
I am planning on visiting St. Thomas the Apostle next time I am there. The website says that have a schola(!!!!!!!!), and I am looking forward to that.

On another happy note, Mama and Daddy took DD, my sister, and I to Orlando for a family vacation. We went to fulfill our Sunday Obligation at Our Lady Queen of the Universe. It was very lovely- the choir was fantastic, the homily very thought provoking, and there was nothing questionable! Did I mention the wonderful gift shop?

Prayers for everyone!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#65 of 139 Old 08-16-2010, 06:17 PM
JMJ

I've been out of the loop for a bit since we've been out of town. Nicole, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm so glad to hear you were able to have him at home and are getting the chance to mourn him properly. Prayers for you and your family, especially for you and your husband as you work out how to follow God's plan for your lives.
#66 of 139 Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 AM

Do any of the mamas here have family altars?
I am wondering because J and I are considering creating one in our home, along with a small version for Viv's room (a Mary statue, a Joseph statue, a crucifix and some small saint statues for the family one; the same for Viv, but with saint pics)

We talked about having candles, but are unsure if we should go with a real candle, or a battery operated one. I was thinking a real one for the fam altar, and a battery votive for Viv's room.
Also, flowers- real or silk? It seems like silk would be easier on everyone and a bit cheaper. I think the lord would be forgiving if we have silk flowers because of finances.

#67 of 139 Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Hi mamas! I can't remember if I have already asked this or not so please forgive me if I have...preggo brain is difficult!

I'm due March 4 so if my priest agrees to do the baptism during Lent, can I just go ahead and pick a weekend ahead of time for the baptism? For instance, March 27th? The baby will surely be here by then and it would be easy to plan ahead of time for out of town guests.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#68 of 139 Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Prayers please mamas. We found out yesterday that our sweet baby died. DH wisely suggested that we go to church as soon as we left the doctor's office. We found one of the priests and he sat with us for a little while and prayed for our baby. I'm just so angry right now. I want my baby back.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#69 of 139 Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Oh, Annie - I'm so sorry for your loss.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#70 of 139 Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM
JMJ

Annie, I'm so sorry to hear that. Prayers for you as you mourn your loss.
#71 of 139 Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM

#72 of 139 Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM

Oh Annie, I am so sorry about your baby. Please pm if you want. This just happened to us as well (on 8/9/10) and I am really struggling. We headed strait to church and the priest as well and it was helpful but it sure doesn't make the pain of losing my son go away.
Hang in there, pm me if you wish, and I will pray for you.
Nicole

#73 of 139 Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry Annie

cagnew, we are okay. Money situation isn't as bad as it was, so that's a relief. Still far from good, but I'm trying hard to be thankful for what we have instead of pouting about what we don't!
#74 of 139 Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am not sure if you remember a long time posters named "the hidden life", a catholic mom of 4 who use to post in here a while back anyway her husband died two days ago. Please remember her and her children in your prayers.

Heidi
#75 of 139 Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
JMJ

The family is in my prayers.
#76 of 139 Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

How awful, prayers for them.
#77 of 139 Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Nicole and Annie: s I am so very sorry about your losses. Iwill remember you and your families in my prayers. I promise.

Sarah: I know it's hard with little ones in Mass. I have a 3 yr old and a 18 month old (and another on the way, though it's still very early). My advice to you is to go cold turkey. No food, no Mass bag, nothing. Sit towards the back. Take them out when you need to and bring them back in when they quiet down. Yes, this will seem ridiculous because you will be in and out constantly and you won't hear much of Mass. It's okay. God gave you the kids and He would rather you be there with them, even if you dn't hear much. Kids are funny... once they realize you are in charge and they aren't going to get their way, they tend to calm down. It takes time, but its worth it. Your 13 month old isn't going to learn if he isn't there. The only think I let my kids bring is a blankie and my 18 month old can have a juice bottle- but we will be getting rid of that soon b/c he is getting older.

Trust me, I thought it would be impossible to get my kids to sit still and be quiet (and we go to Latin Mass... which is longer than a novus ordo mass). My husband is co-director of the choir so I always have the kids by myself. I would look around at the other families whose kids would sit so perfectly and wonder how they did it. Finally I realized that it was somthing that was going to take time, patience, and consistency. There is no easy way- but if you perservere and remember why you are at Mass- for God, not for yourself- it's totally worth it!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mommy to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), and two angel babies. 

#78 of 139 Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM

This post at Te Deum laudamus! might be helpful:
Shhhhhhhhhhhh... the secret to quiet and still children at Mass

#79 of 139 Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
This post at Te Deum laudamus! might be helpful:
Shhhhhhhhhhhh... the secret to quiet and still children at Mass
Coming out of lurkdom to say that I found this article very helpful with improving Ladybug's behavior at mass. I also found it amusing that it was printed in America of all places.
#80 of 139 Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
Coming out of lurkdom to say that I found this article very helpful with improving Ladybug's behavior at mass. I also found it amusing that it was printed in America of all places.
That is a good article.
The place it is published is quite amusing!

#81 of 139 Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Do any of the mamas here have family altars?
I am wondering because J and I are considering creating one in our home, along with a small version for Viv's room (a Mary statue, a Joseph statue, a crucifix and some small saint statues for the family one; the same for Viv, but with saint pics)

We talked about having candles, but are unsure if we should go with a real candle, or a battery operated one. I was thinking a real one for the fam altar, and a battery votive for Viv's room.
Also, flowers- real or silk? It seems like silk would be easier on everyone and a bit cheaper. I think the lord would be forgiving if we have silk flowers because of finances.
We have one by the children's bed, but it's very simple. There are two framed pictures, one of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and one of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In front of these are three candles (depicting Jesus, Mary and St. Jude), and I light these every morning for our morning prayer. The girls take turns blowing the candles out when we're done (and they're never left unattended with them lit, obviously). They have a handful of prayer cards and a prayer book on the table/altar, too.

We also have a little table in the living room that the girls use as a pretend altar-- they have a Mass kit on there with a little altar cloth and everything. Cute stuff, nothing fancy, but they have fun with it. And I think having silk flowers is a great idea! There are some at Michael's or Hobby Lobby that are quite realistic, IIRC...

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.
#82 of 139 Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 AM

At what age did you start actively teaching your child the most prominent prayers of the Church and start praying the Rosary with them? My DD just turned 5 and she has memorized the Hail Mary and we are working on the Glory Be. My issue is that while she will be able to say them rote from memory she is struggling to understand what they mean.

Should I just leave it alone for now? What are you all doing with your little ones?

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#83 of 139 Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 AM

We have a circle of friends whom we say the rosary with once a week.... Rosary, snacks, playtime.... it makes the kids really look forward to it.
For my kids it took a couple explanations about what the prayers ment, it was really more an explanation of the lesser used big words.
There are a number of publishers that have rosary books for children that do a good job of explaining the prayers and the purpose of the rosary... just ask at your local Catholic bookstore, or check out EWTN.com in their religious catalog.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#84 of 139 Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG580 View Post
At what age did you start actively teaching your child the most prominent prayers of the Church and start praying the Rosary with them? My DD just turned 5 and she has memorized the Hail Mary and we are working on the Glory Be. My issue is that while she will be able to say them rote from memory she is struggling to understand what they mean.

Should I just leave it alone for now? What are you all doing with your little ones?
Viv has had the Bedtime Prayer (Now I lay me down to sleep...), the Guardian Angel prayer (Angel of God, My Guardian dear...), and learned the Hail Mary and Glory Be last year.
She asked about words like "womb" and such, but not much more than that.
As for the Rosary, I found this blog post and asked a friend to make us bouquet. I think it makes it a bit easier for the wee ones.

#85 of 139 Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the links to articles. I am NOT looking forward to this. I guess I need to talk to her more about the importance of Mass, which I do already, of course, but wow. And I'm thinking it's time to start bringing the toddler, too.

I guess better now than later, huh?

We are "learning" the Hail Mary and the Our Father now at bedtime. She gets to pick a prayer. Mostly she asks for the Guardian Angel prayer, which I still need to help her a bit with, but I point out when in the Mass we say the Our Father, and we always say the Hail Mary when we light a candle at the Mary altar after Mass, so I think she's getting it.

Would love to have a family altar, but am a bit nervous about raising it with DH. We have crucifixes in most rooms but I think much more would rankle his agnostic sensibilities. DD calls holy cards "Pope cards" because her favorites have JPII and B16 on them, I guess, and I can tell he gets a bit uncomfortable at those.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#86 of 139 Old 08-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmiles View Post
DD calls holy cards "Pope cards"
My kids call them "trading cards" and they compare and trade them w/ eachother.

#87 of 139 Old 08-28-2010, 01:24 PM

This may be the unpopular option-
but in times past, young children were not brought to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass until they were of the Age of Reason- around 7, or so. St. Therese speaks of staying at home while the family attended Mass.
A child's religious education was at home, with emphasis placed on prayers, the family altar, and the importance of the Mass- when he/she was old enough to attend.

Perhaps you can have the children stay at home with DH while you attend Mass. And then take the DD to Adoration to discuss Our Lord in the Eucharist.

#88 of 139 Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
My kids call them "trading cards" and they compare and trade them w/ eachother.
Holy Traders

Quote:
Beautifully designed with classical religious art, every card features a saint or Feast day from the Church calendar and includes a short bio, statistics, and a brief catechism Each high-quality card promotes a saint as a role model or gives information on important Church feast days. The glossy, full color cards contain a short bio, statistics and a brief catechism. Set #5 features 26 cards, including St. Matthew, St. Francis Xavier, All Saints Day and The Conversion of St. Paul. The cards also display beautiful religious art on both front and back from classical artists such as Raphael, Giotto, Murrillo, Reni, Lippi, Fra Angelico, Zurbaran, Saraceni and many more!

#89 of 139 Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This may be the unpopular option-
but in times past, young children were not brought to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass until they were of the Age of Reason- around 7, or so. St. Therese speaks of staying at home while the family attended Mass.
A child's religious education was at home, with emphasis placed on prayers, the family altar, and the importance of the Mass- when he/she was old enough to attend.

Perhaps you can have the children stay at home with DH while you attend Mass. And then take the DD to Adoration to discuss Our Lord in the Eucharist.
Great point! I generally don't bring my small ones to Mass, and I always think of St. Therese if anyone questions me on it!
#90 of 139 Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 PM

Hi Mamas,
I'm new to this thread & just wanted to say hello. I'm a 33 year old married mommy to a 2.5 yr old boy & 1 yr old girl. I live in Calgary, AB (Canada), try to dress modestly & femininely (still working on this, but have come a long way in the past 4 mo!), am considering head-covering at least for prayer times & mass. Oh, we're off birth control too, after SWEARING we'd never have more children last year after I had a horrible VBAC, 2nd degree tearing w/ infection, and a very colicky baby.

My husband is agnostic (believes in God/ a Higher Power, but not religion) & has little respect for the Catholic Church). I was raised in a couple of different denominations of protestant churches, left Christianity for 11 years, and just came back to God in Jan of this year.

I started going to an Alliance church but just didn't feel like it was answering my questions about salvation through faith AND works, and some other things I was struggling with that I was reading in the Bible. Much to my parents horror, I started attending my local RC church after just a month or so of looking into Catholicism. I am in an inquiry/ RCIA group as well, but my baptism isn't considered valid so I may be in the program until Easter 2011!!! That's a long time for me to wait to partake in the Holy Eucharist, but I understand the delay.

For those of you who are converts... what drew you to the Catholic Church instead of Orthodoxy? Also, how did you decide what church to attend? I went to the closest to my house but am wondering if I should have checked out others first before joining the RCIA program. No one wears veils (except 1 woman in her 80's), most women dress immodestly, only maybe 25% of people kneel regularly during mass, and I'm wondering if I'd be more comfortable in a church in which those things are more common. Also the woman leading my inquiry group said that it's a sin to use birth control but that her husband had a vasectomy and they are ok with it, oh... and go to confession at least once a year but she freely admitted to not going last year & wasn't too concerned about it. Just seemed strange to me for someone teaching in the program for people who are so new and seriously considering how these things will affect their lives. Whoops, this ended up long and rambling...sorry!

Nice to meet you all!
Shellie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page