Traditional Catholic Moms Summer 2010 chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 139 Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, since it's almost July, I think it's about time for a new thread, don't you? *Note for any new readers- by "traditional Catholic" we generally mean moms who do their best to stay faithful to the Magisterium.

Cagnew, I'm only halfway through it (The Salvation Controversy), so it hasn't addressed the "no salvation outside of the Church" part yet. But yeah, I tend to agree that that teaching has been really watered down or even ignored since VII So far it's basically corrected a lot of Protestant misconceptions about the Catholic view of Salvation, including things like penance, indulgences, etc. Right now he's addressing Calvinism.

Dh and I went to Latin Mass for the first time last night. It was very lovely. Too bad we only have the opportunity once a month! But we're going to try to attend every time it's offered (Una Voce offers it at a parish 45 minutes away the 4th Sunday of every month). I was a little saddened though that even at a Latin Mass with free chapel veils to borrow, some women still refuse to cover. I don't really understand why... Anyway it was a little confusing, especially for dh, who has no familiarity with Latin (outside of the Agnus Dei and Sanctus). Since I've been doing Latin with dd1 for school I didn't get lost quite so easily

I mentioned before having some issues with our parish, so we've been going to another one, I'm pretty sure we're going to go ahead and officially transfer. We did VBS with our old one and it just confirmed that we're not happy there (other than dd1 doesn't want to make new friends!) We haven't been there in a month and the priest didn't even talk to us or ask us how we've been.

Oh, and prayers for you and the baby, cagnew! Congratulations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 139 Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my baby on June 11. Awesome birth. Just wonderful. One of those hospital births no one thinks can happen. Little monitoring, no meds, great nurses, phenomenal HANDS-OFF doc, did my own thing from beginning to end....
sadly, baby was readmitted to the hospital at 4 days old with viral menigitis...hazards of being#9.
Max is fine now, already up to 9lbs from his birth weight of 7-7. Baptized yesterday.

baptism pics;

http://ninetexans.blogspot.com/2010/...of-heaven.html

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#3 of 139 Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, Karen!! I had a great hospital vba2c with dd3, anticpating the same this time! He's gorgeous!
#4 of 139 Old 06-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Just a quick check in and subbing to the new thread.

Prayers for everyone.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#5 of 139 Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

Cagnew, I'm only halfway through it (The Salvation Controversy), so it hasn't addressed the "no salvation outside of the Church" part yet. But yeah, I tend to agree that that teaching has been really watered down or even ignored since VII So far it's basically corrected a lot of Protestant misconceptions about the Catholic view of Salvation, including things like penance, indulgences, etc. Right now he's addressing Calvinism.
We are die hard EENS believers here. I'm glad to see others learning about this. It was being hidden long before Vat. II. Fr. Feeney (1940's and 50's )was excommunicated for refusing to be quiet regarding his teaching of this doctrine.

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
#6 of 139 Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 PM

hello all!
just checking in for the summer thread. and I wanted to ask for prayers. i spent last weekend in the psych ward for various reasons. please just keep me in your prayers that i can deal with the issues i am having.

btw- i am going to visit my beau soon, and am looking forward to visiting St. Vincent de Paul in Elkhart, IN. i haven't attended there, yet, but the picture of the altar provided on the website gives me high hopes!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#7 of 139 Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Prayers for you, PAL! Prayers for the intercession of St. Dymphna, too. Have a good time in Elkhart! Looks like a lovely church!
#8 of 139 Old 07-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for starting this thread cherrybomb. I love the latin mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumcrunch View Post
I had my baby on June 11. Awesome birth. Just wonderful. One of those hospital births no one thinks can happen. Little monitoring, no meds, great nurses, phenomenal HANDS-OFF doc, did my own thing from beginning to end....
sadly, baby was readmitted to the hospital at 4 days old with viral menigitis...hazards of being#9.
Max is fine now, already up to 9lbs from his birth weight of 7-7. Baptized yesterday.

baptism pics;

http://ninetexans.blogspot.com/2010/...of-heaven.html
Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
hello all!
just checking in for the summer thread. and I wanted to ask for prayers. i spent last weekend in the psych ward for various reasons. please just keep me in your prayers that i can deal with the issues i am having.

btw- i am going to visit my beau soon, and am looking forward to visiting St. Vincent de Paul in Elkhart, IN. i haven't attended there, yet, but the picture of the altar provided on the website gives me high hopes!
I am sorry to hear this. Prayers your way.

I am still having a rough go. But doing better now that I have started nasty medication.

Heidi
#9 of 139 Old 07-05-2010, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey Mamas! Popping in and subbing. Life has been super busy. I think I missed the last thread entirely. Oh well.

Prayers for you P&L

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#10 of 139 Old 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM

Hi all! Just subbing to the thread... summer is our super busy time (a chance to get outside!) but I saw this thread was fresh, so I'm popping in to say hi!

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
#11 of 139 Old 07-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Hi mamas! We found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting a new blessing from God! And this child is truly a blessing from God because we were using NFP and were avoiding. I had been praying to Our Lady for some time to ask her to intercede and soften my husband's heart to be open to a new child in our family. This wasn't quite what I had in mind but oh well!

Here's the thing. I'm due at the beginning of March. Lent starts March 9 next year. So should I anticipate a struggle trying to get this baby baptized during Lent?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#12 of 139 Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
So should I anticipate a struggle trying to get this baby baptized during Lent?
Canon law is on YOUR side. It calls for having the baby baptised within the first few weeks of life, no exceptions for Lent/Advent/parishes that like 1x a month baptisms.

Here's a link to the book of Canon Law - check out #867

"Can. 867 §1. Parents are obliged to take care that infants are baptized in the first few weeks; as soon as possible after the birth or even before it, they are to go to the pastor to request the sacrament for their child and to be prepared properly for it."

There's no way a DRE/priest can stretch "in the first few weeks" of life to mean "until Lent is over". You can press on this one, if you encounter resistance, and win. I've had several Lenten babies... all baptised during Lent.

#13 of 139 Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post
Canon law is on YOUR side. It calls for having the baby baptised within the first few weeks of life, no exceptions for Lent/Advent/parishes that like 1x a month baptisms.

Here's a link to the book of Canon Law - check out #867

"Can. 867 §1. Parents are obliged to take care that infants are baptized in the first few weeks; as soon as possible after the birth or even before it, they are to go to the pastor to request the sacrament for their child and to be prepared properly for it."

There's no way a DRE/priest can stretch "in the first few weeks" of life to mean "until Lent is over". You can press on this one, if you encounter resistance, and win. I've had several Lenten babies... all baptised during Lent.
Wonderful! Thanks so much for finding this for me! I was dreading the thought of having to possibly wait all of Lent before we could baptize.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#14 of 139 Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 PM

MediumCrunch - Congrats on the babe! So glad he is healthy again.

P&L - So sorry about your recent struggles. I hope things improve for you quickly.

Ladies, I need some help too. I am so tired, I have no idea how some of you have several children with more on the way. I have three now 5 and under and my DH is gone M-F for his job and I just feel absolutely nuts some days. I know that I do not want any more children. I just don't. I didn't feel this way after the births of my first two but I feel done, done, done now. And I know that isn't a good enough reason to avoid pregnancy, just not wanting to take on more children. I don't have a grave reason, I am just tired and ready to move on.

Have any of you faced this? As a reminder, I converted and my husband did not - he is still agnostic. He is ready to go for a V and I have to admit I haven't been all that negative about it, I've just left the issue alone which I know is a cop out. I haven't gotten my cycle back yet (which is amazing b/c it was back quickly after the first two) but I am literally POAS weekly in fear that I am going to get pregnant again way too soon.

I love my babes, I just think my body needs a break both physically and mentally. Andy advice?

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#15 of 139 Old 07-11-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Hi mamas! We found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting a new blessing from God!
Congratulations.

Heidi
#16 of 139 Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, Annie!

Charbeau, do you use NFP and have you taken a class? I think the sense of terror is greatly reduced when you really know what's going on with your cycles and you've got an instructor to talk with. I use Creighton Model and I'm very confident in my ability to space children. Toddlers are difficult. My oldest two are turning 9 and 5 shortly and my youngest is 2. It's much easier, I think, than dealing with many small children.
#17 of 139 Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM

just checking in! I've been gone for awhile, busy with my baby Francis and my older ones home for summer vacation.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#18 of 139 Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
MediumCrunch - Congrats on the babe! So glad he is healthy again.

P&L - So sorry about your recent struggles. I hope things improve for you quickly.

Ladies, I need some help too. I am so tired, I have no idea how some of you have several children with more on the way. I have three now 5 and under and my DH is gone M-F for his job and I just feel absolutely nuts some days. I know that I do not want any more children. I just don't. I didn't feel this way after the births of my first two but I feel done, done, done now. And I know that isn't a good enough reason to avoid pregnancy, just not wanting to take on more children. I don't have a grave reason, I am just tired and ready to move on.

Have any of you faced this? As a reminder, I converted and my husband did not - he is still agnostic. He is ready to go for a V and I have to admit I haven't been all that negative about it, I've just left the issue alone which I know is a cop out. I haven't gotten my cycle back yet (which is amazing b/c it was back quickly after the first two) but I am literally POAS weekly in fear that I am going to get pregnant again way too soon.

I love my babes, I just think my body needs a break both physically and mentally. Andy advice?
I teach NFP and I think that a mama's physical and mental health are a grave reason to avoid. You also have a duty to the existing family. So if adding another child right now would cause more strain and problems to mama and family, I think it's reasonable to avoid.

#19 of 139 Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Thank you all for your prayers.
I have been attending a therapy group, and will soon be seeing a therapist one-on-one. I think that is what I need right now.
When I move to Elkhart, however, I will be looking into going to a Catholic therapist/counselor.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#20 of 139 Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Hi. I have popped in here a few times since I had my first baby. Now #2 is 9 months and I think I need to stick here a bit more.

I have a question for all of you. I really need help in figuring out how to maintain my spiritual health while being an AP parent. I miss silent prayer and having really good prayerful masses so much. I am really struggling with some personal issues, as well as our family is in our own crisis right now. As I write I'm in my hotel room with my kids napping at a Steubenville Conference. Mass this morning was amazing...my husband took the kids in the back while I sat up front. It was prayer time that I've been needing for so long...but I was sitting there thinking that I need this more than once a year. I was here last year, too.

My son is going through some serious separation anxiety, does not nap well, and doesn't sleep well alone at all. We cosleep, which I'm happy doing, but even when we put the kids to bed at night I have such a short window of quiet time. Anyway, I'm absolutely exhausted, I know that I need more prayer in my life...but I just don't know how to get it with these two kids who are so attached to me.
#21 of 139 Old 07-18-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
I miss silent prayer and having really good prayerful masses so much
I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but the way I approach this need in my life is to have the Magnificat magazine and we (or I, alone, during the day) take time to attempt to get the daily readings for either Mass or evening prayer read through.

It's more special when we do it as a family/with DH & I (if the kids are already in bed) but I have been known to grab it as soon as my youngest goes down for a nap while the others are engaged in something and give it a quick read. It doesn't take long and helps with putting SOMETHING spiritual in the day. Also might give me a topic of discussion with DH later on if I've done it during the day when he's not home!

#22 of 139 Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post
I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but the way I approach this need in my life is to have the Magnificat magazine and we (or I, alone, during the day) take time to attempt to get the daily readings for either Mass or evening prayer read through.

perfect. i can do this!
#23 of 139 Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post

I'm late on this! I'm so sorry life is stressing you out. I only have one and a half and I know the feeling. This is really something you have to find a GOOD priest to talk to about this. Mother's stress really can be a grave reason to avoid for a short time. On the inside of total exhaustion, everything seems overwhelming and permanent. With a little break, you might feel totally differently - which may mean anything from a few days at Grandma's Daycare or children who are a few months older, a few months more independent.

And about not protesting about the choice your husband is considering - remember your feelings are probably just stress. You want your husband to convert and get to Heaven. You want your kids to grow up in a family that fully appreciates the value and gift of each life. Be strong. Remember he may be leaning towards choices due to your current stress level and it would be pretty awful to realize you made the wrong decision a couple years down the line.

Prayers for you!

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#24 of 139 Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 PM

Hi Mama's!

I'm not a Catholic (not yet anyway) but I've been lurking and thought I'd introduce myself. My husband (who was raised Catholic but hasn't been active until recently) and I were married a year ago and we're having our marriage convalidated within the next few weeks to faciliate the baptism of my 6 year old son. We've been attending mass and I'm going to begin meeting with our Priest for some private RCIA classes/meetings. I think the whole family should be on the same path and it's an exciting step for our family.

I would welcome any information or support regarding the RCIA process. I'm looking forward to learning and starting the process. I'm concerned that I won't be able to devote enough time to the studies. I'm a mama with a full time demanding job and I'm also involved in graduate studies in accountancy. I know that I will need to apply myself I just hope I'm not taking on too much kwim

Thanks for reading
#25 of 139 Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hi and welcome Jaspersmommy! I think most RCIA classes are designed with time restraints in mind. They realize that most people attending have jobs and families. If you get started and feel overwhelmed, just talk with the RCIA director and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

We could use prayers, we're in a really bad financial situation right now (dh's unemployment ended last month, he just got a job last week, so we've had NO income for a month), and so of course everything keeps break (car, dryer, etc). I'm extremely stressed out :/ And our priest is on vacation and no one else is authorized to give out money! uggh.
#26 of 139 Old 07-23-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspersmommy View Post
Hi Mama's!

I'm not a Catholic (not yet anyway) but I've been lurking and thought I'd introduce myself. My husband (who was raised Catholic but hasn't been active until recently) and I were married a year ago and we're having our marriage convalidated within the next few weeks to faciliate the baptism of my 6 year old son. We've been attending mass and I'm going to begin meeting with our Priest for some private RCIA classes/meetings. I think the whole family should be on the same path and it's an exciting step for our family.

I would welcome any information or support regarding the RCIA process. I'm looking forward to learning and starting the process. I'm concerned that I won't be able to devote enough time to the studies. I'm a mama with a full time demanding job and I'm also involved in graduate studies in accountancy. I know that I will need to apply myself I just hope I'm not taking on too much kwim

Thanks for reading
Congratulations and welcome!

Well, for me RCIA was sort of the very teensy tip of the ice berg. I know RCIA programs are tailored parish to parish but what I learned in RCIA was maybe 1% of what I needed to know to confidently enter the Catholic Church and convert. I know you are busy, but this is the most important thing you will ever do in your life. Make the time commitment and you will be richly rewarded.

The theology of the Church is a gold mine just waiting to be explored, not only will RCIA be of great help to you, but you hopefully will be inspired to dig even deeper. The intricacy and beauty and sensibility of Catholic Christian theology is a treat waiting to be opened and savored.

I entered the Church in April of 2009 during the Easter Vigil. My children were baptized at the same time. My husband is currently coming around. It is the most significant thing that has ever happened to me - not that there aren't struggles - oh, there are. But my life has never been happier or better or richer.

Keep in touch with us, please!

#27 of 139 Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I do want to put forth effort into the program because I imagine the rewards will be that much richer. I also don't want to enter into the Catholic faith without having a deep understanding. My son will be baptized soon and I don't feel confident that I'm knowledgable enough to guide him on his path. Looking forward to Sunday school starting up in the fall.

I'm hoping my experiences will bring my husband closer to his faith. I'm the one who is driving the boat on this one, so to speak. He believes its a good idea for our son however he's not really mentioned his own faith. It seems as though he's just "going through the motions" when we're at mass. I know a few others have been dealing with similar issues or perhaps I read that in the spring or winter thread. I've been busy reading

I wonder how my experience will differ from an official RCIA program. Essentially I will be meeting on a weekly basis with our Priest and he will be providing private instruction and guidance. Should I expect to receive a historical background in the church or will it extend much beyond that.

Does anyone have any experience with a one-on-one RCIA?
#28 of 139 Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspersmommy View Post

I wonder how my experience will differ from an official RCIA program. Essentially I will be meeting on a weekly basis with our Priest and he will be providing private instruction and guidance. Should I expect to receive a historical background in the church or will it extend much beyond that.

Does anyone have any experience with a one-on-one RCIA?
I think it sounds like a great way to go through the conversion process. You can read or study a specific topic and then take your questions to the priest weekly. Frankly, I think that may have been a better way for me to do it but that is not how the program was set up at my parish.

Podcasts might be good for you and there are a few really excellent DVDs out there as well that have good info. Why Be Catholic? by Tim Staples http://www.catholic.com/new/why_be_catholic.aspis a good one as is Common Ground featuring Fr. John Riccardo http://www.ninevehscrossing.com/Comm...nd/CGOrder.php. Fr. Riccardo's RCIA podcast series is fantastic and free: http://frjohnriccardo.libsyn.com/category/RCIA. Fr. John Corapi also has a very good RCIA series, though it is pricey.

Here is a site full of free audio CD's: http://freecatholiccds.excerptsofinri.com/

My parish actually has table full of them along with LightHouse Ministries CDs for people to take. Our parish also has quite a good library that things can be borrowed from. I suggest checking to see what your parish offers.

I also recommend reading anything by Thomas Howard, all the C.S. Lewis books (starting with Mere Christianity), Scott Hahn writes easily digestible books as well. G.K. Chesterton is also fantastic and don't forget about Thomas Merton and his Seven Storey Mountain - such a classic that it can't be missed!

Some of the CDs may be good for you because they are easy to listen to while you are driving around. Podcasts can be downloaded onto an iPhone or iPod and played in the car as well, not sure if you have one of those though.

#29 of 139 Old 07-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Mind if I pop in here for a quick question? I normally just lurk on this thread. I'm a convert and single mom.

We dress modestly, which normally equates to dresses {by her choice} for DD who is starting K this fall. We homeschool, and I normally buy her used school uniforms {polo or middy blouse and jumper} to wear on school days as I can get them CHEAP here {$1 a piece} and they last very well.

DD is starting a local homeschool PE class that is held at a YMCA gym, and I'm at a loss for what to have her wear to PE. It looks like from pics most of the kids wear t-shirts and tight fitting pants {think leggings} for PE for her age.

Would a dress get in the way too much? Would a skort be better? I have a few uniform skirts with shorts under that I got for her to wear already.

Trying to make sure we have this ironed out beforehand as it sometimes take me a while to find modest clothing that fits her as she is tall for her age.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#30 of 139 Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 PM

How many of you wear a veil to mass ? Do traditional Catholics still wear a veil ?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page