~}{~July Pagan Circle~}{~ - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
other than vitamins~ magnesium, Bs, esp. pasta is supposed to help. (they say sugar and caffeine and chocolate make it worse, but try telling that to me when i need an iced mocha... )

maia~ ok, that's not a cake, though... if it doesnt have cake! i make grasshopper pie all the time, remember that conversation?

redveg~ sending more kitty vibes. i know it's rough to be missing a pet.

i'm up super early, and partly because of something that happened yesterday. ugh. it's one of those friend things. where you "see" a friend who isnt your friend anymore, but she still is friends with your other friends, so you "see" her sometimes (well, online).... *sniff* for some reason, it really really hit me hard yesterday. i'm trying to combat it with thinking about the friends i've re-connected with who i wouldnt otherwise have, who now mean so much to me.... but it's still so sad to have lost someone who i loved so much, and to not know why. deep breaths......

anyhow, that and a couple other sucky things are bringing me down today. on the up side..... have i mentioned that etsy is dangerous? but it's also amazing. i found drawer pulls that i adore, and that makes me very happy.

off to meditate on week three's theme! happy weekend, all!
#362 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM

Maia, I'm sending you a PM.

Dark chocolate releases calming hormones DoK. I just bought a bag of dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds. They're yummy and make me feel less stressed.

I had the most "interesting" dream about Tim Roth from Lie To Me. Needless to say, I'm glad the kids woke me at 10 and got me out of it before anything else happened, but I sure ain't happy!

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#363 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Anyone know of foods/drink that can help get rid of the moodiness?

Really yummy dark chocolate

And...pamper yourself. As much as you're able

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#364 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
Really yummy dark chocolate

And...pamper yourself. As much as you're able
Strange as it may sound, I don't enjoy dark chocolate.
I'd love to pamper myself (could really use a haircut and color) but can't afford that.

So my pampering will be a cup of tea.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#365 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

ice cream cakes... we make them because you can't buy a gluten free ice cream cake!

My technique is to make a cake then use ice cream instead of frosting. For Ro's birthday she wanted frogs so I made frog shaped cookies and ice cream cake lilypads. Which were actually double thick pancakes with ice cream between the layers and mint ice cream spread all over the outside.

We're going to try and get to the Lughnasadh ritual at the local ADF grove. It's almost 2 hours away so hopefully it'll be fun! I'm waiting to hear if kiddos can come (it's a public ritual but it's late, the ritual is at 8pm with the dish to pass starting AFTER that so....). They're hosting a Druid Scout meeting in August, right before we leave for Pennsic so we'll try to do that even if we can't make Lughnasadh.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#366 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM

oh i have been so overwhelmed with life here, i forgot there is a celebration time coming up! woot! we missed midsummer because of the move and the puking. i am so in the mood to celebrate!

also found my TM amongst the last few boxes! so much of it is coming to pass, it is amazing. i am still blown away by the fact that we moved to AZ. there it is on the map arizona! didn't even think about it when i put it on there, i was thinking trip. lol yet here we are.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#367 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I'd love to pamper myself (could really use a haircut and color) but can't afford that.

So my pampering will be a cup of tea.
Hey, whatever works To me, pampering doesn't always mean money. As a single parent, right now at the moment my pampering is an hour (HOPEFULLY) of quiet time!

I didn't used to like dark chocolate either. I figured out it is an incremental thing. You have to go from milk, to like 40% dark, then 50%, then 60%, then 70%. I can almost, but not quite, eat straight baker's chocolate (unsweetened). I'm not there, yet, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
My technique is to make a cake then use ice cream instead of frosting. For Ro's birthday she wanted frogs so I made frog shaped cookies and ice cream cake lilypads. Which were actually double thick pancakes with ice cream between the layers and mint ice cream spread all over the outside.

We're going to try and get to the Lughnasadh ritual at the local ADF grove. It's almost 2 hours away so hopefully it'll be fun! I'm waiting to hear if kiddos can come (it's a public ritual but it's late, the ritual is at 8pm with the dish to pass starting AFTER that so....). They're hosting a Druid Scout meeting in August, right before we leave for Pennsic so we'll try to do that even if we can't make Lughnasadh.
That sounds yummy, Clay! I love frosting, though. Have to have frosting. LOTS of it. Some people are cake people. Some are frosting people. I can totally do without the cake if I have lots of frosting

I hate rituals like that...you know they're not very kid-friendly if they're that late. Or, they're planned by people without kids who don't even consider the time. And then they get upset when kids are, well, being tired kids

I'm glad ours are at like 7pm. In the warmer weather, they're earlier. The kids' activities are like 3-4pm, then the ritual for an hour, then the potluck. Our Lughnassad one is on the 7th, though. Our family one will be the 31st or the 1st, so the 7th will seem rather after-the-fact, but I love big celebrations!
I am so, so, SO excited for the dark half, this year. It's been so beastly hot for so long.
Bele Chere sucked. Just a big shopping fest. Which, it is, but we didn't catch any bands or activities, and ds wanted to go home which was good, because it's 93* out there, and probably hotter smack downtown amongst the buildings and concrete.

Two good things came of it, though:
One is we found those fold-up Japanese style hand fans, which I'd been looking for. And for only $3.99.
Two is I finally went to the Chocolate Lounge

It was YUMMMMMM-MY!!!
DS had a root beer-- a really good one, with only three ingredients, and I had a sipping chocolate. Which is like this liquid chocolate in a wine glass, garnished with a coffee bean (I had java flavored). O. M. G. it was like crack. Srsly. Better than sex. Well...almost But srlsy, for someone who no longer drinks, this was the next-best thing. Ye Gods, yummy. Will have to go back! Only with a girlfriend. And stay for a good while.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#368 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
, and I had a sipping chocolate. Which is like this liquid chocolate in a wine glass, garnished with a coffee bean
Oh my, that sounds divine. Tell me more about it. I'm seriously craving chocolate right now, thanks.

#369 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Oh my, that sounds divine. Tell me more about it. I'm seriously craving chocolate right now, thanks.
It WAS divine It was like...liquid chocolate in a wine glass. I don't know how to describe it. Like...not like Hershey's syrup. Like...very light brown, very thick, but still drinkable. It's thick so you want to sip, not gulp. It feels very decadent. It's $3.25 or something per small glass, but it feels absolutely worth it.
It was hard to enjoy it to the fullest with ds there. He was patient, but not the kind of partner you want to indulge that with It'd be a great date, or a girlfriend time.
It wasn't like anything I'd had before. But there was kind of a familiar feel to it. It was like...sneaking from whatever it was your mom was making for someone's birthday, that kind of decadent indulgence, but also very grown-up, like wine.
It was amazing

#370 of 507 Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
He's like the little girl in the poem-- very, very good, or very, VERY horrid.
I know that poem well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
redveg~ sending more kitty vibes. i know it's rough to be missing a pet.

i'm up super early, and partly because of something that happened yesterday. ugh. it's one of those friend things. where you "see" a friend who isnt your friend anymore, but she still is friends with your other friends, so you "see" her sometimes (well, online).... *sniff* for some reason, it really really hit me hard yesterday. i'm trying to combat it with thinking about the friends i've re-connected with who i wouldnt otherwise have, who now mean so much to me.... but it's still so sad to have lost someone who i loved so much, and to not know why. deep breaths......
Thanks for the kitty vibes. Still no sign of him. I hate to bring it up to my DD, she has been so upset. Found a candle and a picture of Bast in her room and she's been going on walks trying to find him. I hope it works out, or I hope I find the right words if it doesn't.

Hugs to you mama on the friend situation. Who knows what the future has in store for us. Maybe you and this friend will re-connect at a different time in your lives? I do understand the loss though and the hurt and longing that goes with it. Focus on the positive

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#371 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unschoolinmom View Post
I had the most "interesting" dream about Tim Roth from Lie To Me. Needless to say, I'm glad the kids woke me at 10 and got me out of it before anything else happened, but I sure ain't happy!
LOL saw that on fb.. I would not have been impressed either

Quote:
I would LOVE to get my hair done too Maybe in a few weeks .. after the tax return comes in, I can squeek out 100bucks to go have it done. Feeling a bit old and frumpy.

Quote:
ice cream cakes... we make them because you can't buy a gluten free ice cream cake!
the fact that ice cream cakes all have gluten in them weirds me out... WHY should there be gluten in ice cream for goodness sake! unfair!
Quote:
Sounds fun! There is nothing like that here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
also found my TM amongst the last few boxes! so much of it is coming to pass, it is amazing. i am still blown away by the fact that we moved to AZ. there it is on the map arizona! didn't even think about it when i put it on there, i was thinking trip. lol yet here we are.

h
that's majorly ironic! It's very interesting how the universe interprets TM's sometimes.. gotta love a big surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
Thanks for the kitty vibes. Still no sign of him. I hate to bring it up to my DD, she has been so upset. Found a candle and a picture of Bast in her room and she's been going on walks trying to find him. I hope it works out, or I hope I find the right words if it doesn't.
I'm sorry he hasn't found his way home... I hope that he's ok out there somewhere and makes it back soon. I would have been (hell, still would be) heartbroken as a teen to lose my kitty's. They were just my life!

Have had a beautiful day here... cleaning of all things DH went over with Quinn to pick up the brothers from swim lesson at nans and I stayed home to get stuff done, as we're supposed to go out to a family picnic tomorrow I cranked Pink up on the ipod and rocked out while powering through the house hehehe. Had a small fire out int he bushland behind the house again.. we think that someone likely stole a car and managed to get it back in the wooded area and lit it up when they were doen with it. (that's the typical end for a stolen car here, can of petrol and a match) Called & reported it, but it Seems to have burnt out finally.

Exactly 2 weeks till the boy comes 'home' I've totally got the almost manic, nervous excitement going on. Definitely need to spend more time out in the garden.. I went out today and checked on the seeds we started, and spread compost around the plants and came away feeling so grounded and calm after just 15minutes.

While I was out there, I put the pot I planted with herbs as Bitty rat's 'grave marker' (really, more to keep the random cats that have wandered into our yard from digging him up ) in place and I thought of Clay's lovely little Earth altar. I'm going to keep my eyes open at op shops for something in the way of an outdoor decoration... along the lines of those little chinese lanterns or something, to sit in amongst the herbs and try to create our own little spot in the garden

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#372 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
maia~ ok, that's not a cake, though... if it doesnt have cake! i make grasshopper pie all the time, remember that conversation?
No

We found Breyer's ice cream limited edition called Grasshopper Pie, though. It was mint with cookie pieces in. Not bad, but I like mint chip better.

Up another pound today Could a couple spoonfuls of icing, a half cup of ice cream (if that) and a small wine glass of sipping chocolate really make that much difference in a day? Plus we walked two hours yesterday. Granted it was slack walking, but it had to equal about 20 minutes hard walking, at least. Dang.
I'm up over 185 now

#373 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the fact that ice cream cakes all have gluten in them weirds me out... WHY should there be gluten in ice cream for goodness sake! unfair!
Gluten is in wheat, barley, rye, and (some) oats. And their derivative products (malt, caramel color, soy sauce, food starch, beer, etc). All the commercial ice cream cakes I've seen are made with wheat flour. And of course you have to be careful with the ice cream too... obviously cookie dough or brownie or oreo flavors are right out, but often barley malt is use to add "crunch" to things like nuts and gluten is in most caramel and some marshmallow so... unless I've called the company with the lot number or the packaging says gluten free the ice cream has to be "plain". It's a pain in the patoot, but I suppose it saves us money in the long run!

weight- at one point I weighed myself twice a day, every day. I'm not obssessive about weight (this would NOT be a good daily ritual for someone who is) but kind of like the daily fertility awareness stuff I wanted to know what was going on with my body. Having weeks and weeks of daily wight checks let me see some very specific patterns... like, time of day really does make a HUGE difference. Most people will see a 1-3lb variation over the course of a day. You can see a 1-3lb variation depending on whether your bladder/bowels are full or empty even. In my case I had a very consistant 2lb variation between morning and night, a 5lb variation over the course of a month (up 5lb by the start of my moon time, down those 5lbs when my bleeding finished), and a +3lbs after eating at my favorite buffet.

Soooo... with a 1lb/1 day variation it could be water, it could be a full bowel, it could be a hormonal twitch, it could be almost anything! It might help to do a morning/evening weight journal for a month just to see what patterns emerge.

I know a lot of health sites say to weigh yourself once a week but I really wanted more data. I can see how someone could get really obsessed with the numbers, but in terms of finding patterns and knowing what to expect and what variations were "unusual" helped me.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#374 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I love frosting, though. Have to have frosting. LOTS of it. Some people are cake people. Some are frosting people. I can totally do without the cake if I have lots of frosting
I am so, so, SO excited for the dark half, this year. It's been so beastly hot for so long.
you're giving me a fiendish idea for my own birthday cake this year.... ice cream, frosted. end of story. if only i could get They Whom Hath Power to bring eggnog out for my birthday, the world would be complete.

funny you mention the dark half! i was meditating on the upcoming "holiday"... my least favorite/one with which i connect the least here in the Land of the HOT HOT HOT..... and i found myself drooling over the part of the wheel from halloween to imbolc. sigh. drool. sparkly! yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
.... Found a candle and a picture of Bast in her room and she's been going on walks trying to find him. I hope it works out, or I hope I find the right words if it doesn't.

Hugs to you mama on the friend situation.
sniff. ds freaks out at the mere notion that a cat might die, so i can only imagine.
thank you for the hugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
While I was out there, I put the pot I planted with herbs as Bitty rat's 'grave marker' (really, more to keep the random cats that have wandered into our yard from digging him up ) in place and I thought of Clay's lovely little Earth altar. I'm going to keep my eyes open at op shops for something in the way of an outdoor decoration... along the lines of those little chinese lanterns or something, to sit in amongst the herbs and try to create our own little spot in the garden
lovely! do you know, i am vaguely remembering one of the very first interactions you and i had... i was asking about ways to ask former pets permission to disturb their resting place. bet you dont remember that!
#375 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
you're giving me a fiendish idea for my own birthday cake this year.... ice cream, frosted. end of story. if only i could get They Whom Hath Power to bring eggnog out for my birthday, the world would be complete.
Ooooh, I'm so stealing.
When's your birthday again? Isn't it in October? I'm sure I can find you eggnog, if they don't have it in AZ. I'll send you eggnog if you send me sage
I'll even send you my macdaddy vegan frosting recipe! Be your best friend!

Quote:
lovely! do you know, i am vaguely remembering one of the very first interactions you and i had... i was asking about ways to ask former pets permission to disturb their resting place. bet you dont remember that!
I think even I remember that. Vaguely.

I think today is the Least-Amount-Of-Phone-Calls-With-M since the beginning of time
His phone holster broke, and he's got a $300 smart phone, so he doesn't take it out of the house for fear of breaking it in his pocket. And he spent nearly all day out, today. Then when he got home, he was/is too tired to have conversation.
And it would all be fine with me if I hadn't pulled my back (again ) and been in so much pain. Luckily, ds left me alone and didn't pester, but I was in dreadful pain and so awfully lonely. If M had been available as he normally is, I would have been fine. Or if I hadn't been in pain, I would have been able to handle not hearing from him. As it was, the combination was devastating

I finally took 4 ibuprofen at 4:30 and I'm still in pain, but it's more bearable. And I took a hot bath, at M's suggestion. I finally put epsom salts on the grocery list. This isn't happening again without them, dang it!

It's so freaking hot here. My A/C has been working its arse off all day and it's still 80* in here

#376 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Sorry for the bleh day Maia. I too know the feeling of being unable to speak to someone you love for various reasons.

It was 110 today. So the kids and I stayed in while dh worked. We've got a/c and two fans running and it's only slightly comfortable.

Despite that heat, the kids and I cleaned, then made homemade oatmeal raisin cookies. Now I'm finishing up dinner. Italian sausage and beef lasagna, salad, and bread with homemade garlic butter.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#377 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM

lol, early october. it's never out here. later in the month, maybe... sometimes not til early nov.
#378 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

For the raw or TF foodies... eggnog.

For the vegans and waist watchers... 'nog.

For the traditionalists... eggnog.

For all and sundry... many eggnogs.

And for those who want to replicate the luscious sipping chocolate that is sitting there, up thread, making me drool... try this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was an exchange student in Turkey for a year... we (the ten exchange students from the US/Canada) wanted eggnog and we had to make our own. From half remembered childhood nog making moments, and with no idea what the turkish word for nutmeg or cinnamon was, in a country where there isn't much rum. It was an adventure but it was by gods the best nog I've ever had.

#379 of 507 Old 07-24-2010, 11:34 PM

dh got a grill today! woot! i am really excited about trying to cook different stuff on there. i was thinking we could even cook quiche out there. lol

i picked up a few dresses today at target. they look great. i hate to shop because i don't really like how i look. but these dresses looked great. lol

trying to find a way to invite myself to my parents house tomorrow. lol i want to go swimming. i was thinking after lunch but before dinner and bringing Popsicles and chips as bribes. lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#380 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 AM

Goodness, it's muggy as heck.

I'm hoping to sell something today...Wish me luck!

Ok, pagan related stuff: I glanced at my pan statue (which is basically in storage in my room) and realize how much I miss his energy. I'd love to bring back fun, frolic, and sensuality to my life. (Not talking about s3x, just a hint of sensuality to the Self.) Hope that makes sense.

I wish I could move back to the East Side (Providence). For some reason, it feeds my spiritual self. Maybe because there are a lot more pagans/earth based spirituality there.

What sort of energy would you like more of?

#381 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unschoolinmom View Post
Sorry for the bleh day Maia. I too know the feeling of being unable to speak to someone you love for various reasons.

It was 110 today. So the kids and I stayed in while dh worked. We've got a/c and two fans running and it's only slightly comfortable.

Despite that heat, the kids and I cleaned, then made homemade oatmeal raisin cookies. Now I'm finishing up dinner. Italian sausage and beef lasagna, salad, and bread with homemade garlic butter.
Thank you, unschoolinmom. I ended up sleeping like a rock, and my back still hurts, but not so much. I will be able to get stuff done today, and I've already been on the phone with M for an hour

110*??? How in the world. When it gets that hot, I just think of what it must have been like for people in the days before a/c, or people who don't have it-- I'm such a wuss, anymore.
Yesterday my a/c was running its arse off, and it still stayed about 80* in the house
And you had the oven on?? Go you, mama.

Quote:
lol, early october. it's never out here. later in the month, maybe... sometimes not til early nov.
What are you talking about? Are you answering my post? About your birthday? And eggnog?

Quote:
For the raw or TF foodies... eggnog.
For the vegans and waist watchers... 'nog.
For the traditionalists... eggnog.
For all and sundry... many eggnogs.

And for those who want to replicate the luscious sipping chocolate that is sitting there, up thread, making me drool... try this.
You are just evil, Clay

Dunno why, alkie that I am, but I have never liked rum in eggnog. I like it plain.
I have made it before, though, and for sure it's WAY better than store bought! I didn't look at your nog links yet, Clay, but the one I made I remember you whipped the egg yolks or milk or something separately, and folded them in after

Sipping chocolate-- the one I had was cold, not hot. It was lurcious!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
dh got a grill today! woot! i am really excited about trying to cook different stuff on there. i was thinking we could even cook quiche out there. lol
Trying to picture quiche on the grill. Not working

Quote:
i picked up a few dresses today at target. they look great. i hate to shop because i don't really like how i look. but these dresses looked great. lol
I know, right? I bought my Airport Dress at Target. I look better in that dress than just about anything I've ever worn. And it's a maternity dress!
Who knew. Their clothes always look good, though I don't like how thin the material always seems to be, and I hate the way their XXL is like a small, anywhere else. I wish they had real sizes!

Quote:
Trying to find a way to invite myself to my parents house tomorrow. lol i want to go swimming. i was thinking after lunch but before dinner and bringing Popsicles and chips as bribes. lol
Thinking about this...I was going to say why would you need an invite to a parent's house, just go, but then as a parent I was thinking I'd probably be annoyed if my adult child just assumed it was OK...or maybe not. I don't know. I'd just call my own mom and say "mind if we pop by?"

Quote:
I'm hoping to sell something today...Wish me luck!

Quote:
Ok, pagan related stuff: I glanced at my pan statue (which is basically in storage in my room) and realize how much I miss his energy. I'd love to bring back fun, frolic, and sensuality to my life. (Not talking about s3x, just a hint of sensuality to the Self.) Hope that makes sense.
Of course it does

Quote:
What sort of energy would you like more of?
Just energy, in general. I've been so slack this summer. Granted, I did declutter a whole bunch, but I've slacked off, and I've been inside SO much. It's just been so hot. I am dying to be outside but can't handle the heat. I feel like I'm (and making my ds miss) the whole summer.

I would like more energy at all.

#382 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 11:45 AM

I wish we all lived close to each other.

That is all.

#383 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Me too... I hate that the women I'm closest to are geographically distant! No fair!

An amazing woman has passed away... DH's childhood piano teacher/french tutor passed away suddenly (but not unexpectedly since she was in her 90s with multiple medical conditions). My MIL is the executrix of the will since this women was essentially family (she was one of the women who had to "approve of me" when dh and I started dating )

She was an amazing, firey, passionate, and opinionated woman... she and her husband fled France during WWII and she supported herself for 30+ years after her husband passed away. She loved playing with the girls (she didn't meet Torin) and I just can't believe they wont have her in their lives now.

In a mixed blessing... she left us her furniture. And it's serious "adult" furniture... antiques, items with historical significance, etc. The problem is the addition isn't done so where can it go? How can I balance our casual three kids and a couch shredding cat rural lifestyle with furniture that is worth more than our house? The will stipulates that the items be used (not sold) and I'd love to have this reminder to "live with passion and intensity" but I'm not sure we can even afford to rent a uhaul, let alone a storage unit.

It'll work out, I know, but it's an emotional day.

#384 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 12:37 PM

DOK- Hmm, need to think about that.

Well, dh is off to a UU retreat. I was supposed to go but Erin isn't handling her sisters and Momma being away, so home we stay. I am ok with him being gone, I might get bored but should be fine otherwise. My older girls come home on Thursday. It is raining, so we might head to the mall or the craft store.

I miss everyone, I have been reading and trying to stay caught up...healing, love and light to everyone!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#385 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
It'll work out, I know, but it's an emotional day.
She sounds like she was an amazing woman. How thoughtful of her to give your family the antiques! I hope you can make it work. Is there a way you can sell some of your current stuff to make room for the new (old) furniture?

#386 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

That's the thing... we don't have much furniture because we don't have much room. Upstairs we have a queen sized "futon height" bed that DH/DS/I use. There is a queen sized air mattress that fits on top that we pull down for the girls to sleep on each night. Downstairs we have 1 poang chair, a folding futon loveseat from Target, a tv tray thing with two ikea kitchen chairs (where the girls eat during the day), and a folding card table that "lives" under the loveseat ... for our "family meal" we unfold the card table, DH and I sit on the kitchen chairs and the girls share the piano bench. Other than that there is the upright piano, a cedar chest that holds toys inside and books on top/doubling as seating when people visit, and the little play stove dh built for the kids. And that's it!

We actually have antique furniture that we used in our last home (gifts from family on my side) that have been living in the shed under tarps for two years because we can't fit it into the house. There is just no room! The addition is going to "be" a living room and kids' room... but we already have an antique trundle bed for the girls (the room will be 10x12 so two beds would be pretty tight, and when we add Tor? ack!). I'm dying to have a real couch and would be happy to burn the futon loveseat, so that is good, but... the addition wont be done for a while yet and I'm not sure a "real" couch would fit in the space currently being filled by the loveseat (it's jammed into place).

Right now I don't have dimensions on any of the furniture and I don't know how long it will be till the addition is done. I'm just feeling frazzled, you know? I need to settle somehow.

Oh, and my SIL is visiting next week and we have a certain need to "wow" her. Sigh. Stress!

#387 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
How can I balance our casual three kids and a couch shredding cat rural lifestyle with furniture that is worth more than our house? The will stipulates that the items be used (not sold) and I'd love to have this reminder to "live with passion and intensity" but I'm not sure we can even afford to rent a uhaul, let alone a storage unit.
OK. Shed?

This brings to mind Flylady's rule about love it or let it go. Your lovely lady wants you to love her things. So I don't think it'd matter if the furniture is worth more than your house. I think it matters more that it gets used and loved. Cats or no cats, kids or no kids. Ruined by love? It's like the Velveteen Rabbit.

I know this isn't furniture, or anything worth money, but it's an example: When my mom went to Ireland, one of the things she brought me back was a linen tea towel, with shamrocks on it, in a plastic bag-with-cardboard so it was obviously hung up on a rack in the store where she bought it.
It stayed in that bag for the longest time, and I even hung it on the wall for awhile, because I didn't want to ruin it. But I wasn't loving it, and it was clutter.
Finally I opened the damn bag, and now I use that towel, and it's dirty and not-beautiful anymore because it's been used so much.
But.
It's loved. And every time I use it I dream of Ireland (maybe that's my heart home ) and I think of the gift she gave me, and realize she was thinking of me when she bought it.

HTH You'll find a way.

#388 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 PM

maia: with my folks i would have to ask. i hope with my own kids i wouldn't mind. i love having people over and i would love to be around my grandkids. it is really stressful for my mom, so we have to ask. BUT we won't be going anyway, we are trying to unpack a few more boxes and i am setting up my altar and dd wants to spend her gift cards she got for her birthday. lol so i have to brave the mall (yuck) to take her to hot topic. lol

have a great day everyone.

h

#389 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 05:53 PM

I love Hot Topic

#390 of 507 Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM

LOL,Maia!

Reading but not really posting. Not enough time in my day! Be back soon!

Come ponder with me about food!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page