~}{~July Pagan Circle~}{~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
No WAY!?! Tell him we are very proud of him Glad you're having a wonderful trip hun!
YES, I kid you not! And he's eating leftovers now, as we speak! I told him what you said and he gave me a thumbs-up.
OMG just now he said "mmm peppers!" and then when I looked at him all wide-eyed, he laughed and said "shut up!"

Holy cow. Oh, and thanks

Quote:
Next thing I know this kids hand is up near lucas's throat. I couldn't see WHAT he did.. but he got the scare of his life as I shouted at him that's for sure. Then the little pain actually tried to TELL ON ME Apparently his 'parents' were on the next bench to us... and just couldn't be bothered to supervise their kids... but obviously didn't care if *I* did either since they told him to go play. Him AND his female cohorts cut eyes at me the rest of the time we were there.
I'm not a perfect parent.. but ffs, ya know!?!??! *DEEP cleansing breath*
You GO, mama. I would have done the same, in your shoes. What's ffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
Cari, you know you are blessed to have a very involved "nan" in your life, do you? I wish my kids (and I ) would have access to that kind of experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
Maia- I find my dh is more apt to eat well when I am around, on his own, he is awful.
You might be right. OTOH, he has been utterly awful up till this trip...I don't know what's happening with him, but I don't care; I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
hugs to all suffering the heat. it's been cooler than normal here, but you're making me feel guilty for enjoying it so. does remind me though that i read something about in 2015 there maybe being a mini-ice-age.... kinda wouldnt mind that, in theory.....

off to try and get some movement on getting the house ready to be moved into.... wish me smooth and speedy vibes, please!
There you go!
The heat wave has hopefully broken, here. Holy cow it was awful! M's little window unit could barely keep up. It was like 98 for a couple of days. It's 80-something right now and feels like 68, by comparison.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

?? Question for you ladies- My dh is a bit of an anxious/worrier and it comes out as him grumping at the kids and passive aggressive comments to me. I have had it, honestly, enough crap dear- got mad if you are really mad or else just knock it off! Anyway- I think it would help for him to learn to calm/center/meditate so I going to find him some resources. In general his spiritualness is about "justice" but he doesn't have any set beliefs.
((hugs)) I'm on the other end. I have anxiety/depression issues that can cause me to act out. I can only imagine how not fun/fair it is on the other side. For me, some supplements have been helpful and some energy work. I will try to find a link that shows some specific things I do if you're interested. They are what I've found that can calm my anxiety down NOW when I am triggered. Good luck to you and your DH.

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:

off to try and get some movement on getting the house ready to be moved into.... wish me smooth and speedy vibes, please!

speedy, happy moving in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Oh my goodness? How could I have forgotten? I cut my hair a few days ago! It was so hot, and I realized that despite growing it out for nearly two years... I don't actually LIKE longer hair. I like the IDEA of longer hair, but the reality? Totally not me. So it's happily short again. It's actually not as short as I want it, but I'll get it buzzed shorter in a few weeks... I had all three kiddos and the stylist had to work FAST so it needs a little work.

I'll try to get a photo.

Hot again... we're meeting my mom at the park for lunch and the girls will play in the sprinklers. DH is sick (his turn with that 103+ fever bug) so he wasn't able to help much yesterday... he'll be home early today though which is good since I have an ICAN meeting tonight at 6:30. I understand that the "normal" meeting time (sun 3-5) doesn't work for some people. But Thur 6:30-8? That is such a bad time for most of the moms I know... partner or self home from work/dinner/bedtime routines all happen during that time period. It's just for the summer, but it's making me cranky.

I seem to recall some other mamas here being involved with ADF... anyone want to chat?
Can't wait to see your hair! Sorry about poor DH. I don't know why, but I can't stand being sick in the summer. It's never fun, but in summertime it just seems, IDK, wrong. Hope he gets well soon. Stay cool.

Quote:

Cari, you know you are blessed to have a very involved "nan" in your life, do you? I wish my kids (and I ) would have access to that kind of experience...
YEP!

I'm going to get my hair cut this afternoon... just shaping a little and thining... they're so thick. They usually take forever to dry (if I do a pony tail on wet hair in the morning, the middle of it won't be dry when I pull it off at night)... so I went out with dripping wet hair yesterday, hoping that would keep me comfy in the heat... hair dried in about an hour.
Happy haircut.

Quote:

Thanks Today started off cold... and is getting chilly now, but about 10am the sky parted and we had a couple of hours of sunshine! It was lovely.. and well timed since I met a gf & her family at the shopping centre near me .. so that we could shoo my 3 into the fenced playground and we could chat over a posh coffee Perfect timing on the sun, it was *just* this side of jacket weather.

Enjoy your little holiday... I'm sure the kids will have a ball with their grandma. My guys are going to be doing regular friday sleepovers with their nan (it was her crazy idea to put them in saturday morning at 815am swim lessons so she volunteered ) You won't know what to do with yourself after you have a long shower by yourself!
It was heaven! And, I kinda didn't know what to do with myself

Had a lovely time at the shops with my gf, her husband and their two kids (their kids are 12 & 14) We grabbed a coffee and took my littlies to the fenced playground and they had a pretty good time. My 6yo had a little girl a couple of years older than him 'chasing' him.. in a nice way He tried to play it cool, but from the big gryn he had on his face as he hid by us, he was enjoying the attention. Oh boy am I in for it

Clare & I gabbed about this & that.. and then there was ANOTHER bratty child incident at the playground. It's school holidays so it was fairly crowded and there were two slightly older girls (probably 9ish) who were quite catty to Lucas, who wanted to play. Then one of them acted like they were going to play nice... and called who I guess was her little brother over & told him to do something to Lucas. Next thing I know this kids hand is up near lucas's throat. I couldn't see WHAT he did.. but he got the scare of his life as I shouted at him that's for sure. Then the little pain actually tried to TELL ON ME Apparently his 'parents' were on the next bench to us... and just couldn't be bothered to supervise their kids... but obviously didn't care if *I* did either since they told him to go play. Him AND his female cohorts cut eyes at me the rest of the time we were there.

I'm not a perfect parent.. but ffs, ya know!?!??! *DEEP cleansing breath*

We turned the tables though... the boys were playing with some of the apps on my friends mobile phone and the mean kids were VERY interested in what they were doing (cyber drums/keyboard etc) but knew very well that their nasty behavior made it impossible to come ask to see. Hopefully they learned a lesson?

ON topic now ... I'm discovering by reading the camp thread, that I'm VERY spiritually in the dumps! I am really having a hard time even caring about or wanting to do anything spiritual at all? What's up with THAT??? Just feeling... rather empty.
Sounds like a nice afternoon, well besides ill behaved kids and parents. Sorry about the empty feeling. My spirituality definitely waxes and wanes. It does seem that just when I really notice the waning and it bothers me that's usually when I start to feel the inspiration to get reconnected and then it just happens. IDK, might be just me. Hugs mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG mamas, what an incredible trip And aside from, well, the abundance of that, M actually ate vegetables
I kid you not! Fresh ones! Green pepper and-- are you sitting down?-- broccoli! Raw, even!! Willingly. Without complaint. AND asked for more.
I am gobsmacked
I'm glad you're having such a good time.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day to some extent.

Day 2 of kid-free here. DP is still sleeping! I think we're recovering from almost 7 years of sleep deprivation! Little does he know that when he's ready to get up I plan on coercing him into cleaning out the garage with me Dum, dum, duuummmm (scary music).

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Old 07-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Aress, The Other Side of Virtue by Brendan Myers was already mentioned. I am trying to remembr another book I read a few years ago. It was a paganism for men type book but DP thought I'd get something out of it too. Something about the Pagan Warrior. I'll google it a bit and see if I can figure it out.

But I also wanted to share this site http://www.spiritualityandpractice.c....php?id=16&g=5, that is specifically the Justice page but there are resources for dozens of other practice areas.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 07-08-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

aeress- I've been re-reading my celtic recon stuff, and exploring the ADF (druidic) stuff... how about this article on Celtic ethics and the modern pagan movements? It's by Erynn Laurie, one of the "founders" of the celtic recon tradition. Pagan Virtue by J Casey (a very academic but still readable text, it's more about classical ethics/virtue/morality and not so much a how-to book)? Or perhaps Living with Honor by Emma Orr? That's a fun one... it addresses modern life/modern questions.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 PM

I'm home. So very tired. My haunted story is going to have to wait til Friday.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

welcome home! get some sleep

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Mamas, its HOT. I can deal with 70 and 80 degree temps, 90* not so much. Not to mention we have no popsicle type stuffs or even fruit. I crave fruit in this type of weather. I have $7 to last me until next payday. Boo. I am so hitting the farmer's market next week if I can.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 AM

something i have been realizing since we got back to AZ... that that whole move that i felt we needed to make or i would be miserable my whole life, is sort of like wanting things. they don't take the place of people. as much as i love the land and the ocean i was miserable without my friends and even my family. dh and i didn't get closer, i feel like we got further apart. what is most important to me is my family and my friends and that 19 months away really helped me see that. i feel really blessed that we were able to move back here. i am glad we made the move so now i will never sit around saying "what if..." but i really feel like it is similar to me wanting a HUGE car or lots of fancy clothes, it isn't worth the trouble to get. i would rather we spend time together then have stuff.
dh will be working more, but then he is happier when he is busier. and the kids and i will be able to reconnect and damn i LOVED the heat and the sun. i use to think i didn't but when we woke up that first day and i walked out into that 110 degrees, it was like i opened up again. and everyday it just feels right.
i do feel like maybe we were vit D defecient (sp) it has been such a blessing to be in the sun.
sorry others are suffering in it, but i am just so happy to be in the middle of it again.
plus i am so motivated again. i have had this dream for YEARS to open a free clinic that supplied people with alternative medicine and midwives, doulas, massage therapy, community gardens, LLL meetings, onsite day care sort of thing, parenting classes. being here really woke that up again. got me thinking again.

anyway... just thought i would share. lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
YES, I kid you not! And he's eating leftovers now, as we speak! I told him what you said and he gave me a thumbs-up.
OMG just now he said "mmm peppers!" and then when I looked at him all wide-eyed, he laughed and said "shut up!"

Holy cow. Oh, and thanks
LOL Nice at least he is more OPEN now to trying though.. which is good, because if you are going to be cooking & cohabiting eventually, he'd go hungry otherwise lol

I can't respond to everything because i'm on mah NEW LAPTOP WOOT! And I'm sooo having to adjust to using it lol. It's schmexy as heck though... and I think I'm going to like this portability business. I'm on the veranda with a cuppa hehehe.

JUST pulled it out of the box to check it over, and of course you mamas were the first place I went Will be back later after it charges up and I get dh to xfer some stuff over from the old one!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:

Yes, I do! My MIL is awesome, probably better than awesome, but that's just my word of the day lol. I wish your kids had a nana around that would have them for sleepovers, and go get fish n chips by the bay for dinner, and race off to swimming lessons too. Everyone should have a nan like that!

Come to think of it, my Mema was similar. We would stay with her for weeks in the summer sometimes! We'd go to the upick farms near her and load up with strawberries, or snap beans, or whatever was growing. We'd walk out into the field next to her house (her field, leased to a local small farmer) and pick a few ears of corn (Farmer was a family friend, so it was cool) and cook them straight away. And ice cream.. she ALWAYS pulled out the ice cream maker when we were there, mmmm homemade banana ice cream! Or peach I've been very fortunate with grandparents in my life, and I'm so glad my kids are too!

Popping back on quickly on my old puter before I start copying stuff

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I am sending them to DH now. Goddess I do love him! He is a great guy and has so many good qualities but the constant hand holding (figurative) drives me nutty, I am a very much an independent person and don't like coddling. So today, I am focusing on giving him resources just like I would a friend in need, be there but not solve it for him. He likes me to give solutions but it is just not me. So I am building a bridge from me to him. That is my image this morning- a bridge.

Cari- laptop newness! woohoo!

Mamaofthree- your clinic idea is great! We need women like you to create communities for women!

Off to read the camp thread-

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
something i have been realizing since we got back to AZ... that that whole move that i felt we needed to make or i would be miserable my whole life, is sort of like wanting things. they don't take the place of people. as much as i love the land and the ocean i was miserable without my friends and even my family. dh and i didn't get closer, i feel like we got further apart. what is most important to me is my family and my friends and that 19 months away really helped me see that.
That's so awesome. It takes what it takes, h, and I'm glad there was a good lesson in it. You sound so much happier

Quote:
I can't respond to everything because i'm on mah NEW LAPTOP WOOT!
YAY.wow! How cool! Lucky you! I want one of those tiny purse-sized ones. Ahh, someday.

Quote:
I wish your kids had a nana around that would have them for sleepovers, and go get fish n chips by the bay for dinner, and race off to swimming lessons too. Everyone should have a nan like that!
Sigh. Yes. This, unfortunately, is my mom: http://schott.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/glam-mas/
I hate it. I so resent it. She actually had the gall to send me a loving mother's day card one year, with an article inside on this very topic As if that would make me feel better?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 PM

I had the joy of having involved grand-parents. We lived far from them but were always welcome in their home, they spent time with us and talked with us.

My parents would be like that if my mom wasn't so sick but her health prevent her to care for her grand-children and my father is her caretaker so he have little time and energy left for anything else. I remember how it was different when my oldest was little and mom was healthier... DS got to have a little bit of it when he was a baby but DD2 came too late... My mom was barely able to hold her when she was tiny.

My ILs are/were very involved in their daughters' kids life but not so much in their sons' kids life. Their loss; my kids are amazing loving beings.

This situation is weighting on me (and on DH) and prevent us to celebrate our anniversary like we would like. We can't go away, even for a week-end, cause no one will take the kids.

Let's talk about something happy/positive: the cake is done and smell wonderfully good!!!

Valérie   
Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I totally get it. Even the professional (neuropsych) that is evaluating ds was a bit surprised (and wiped out) from ds's constant movement. So, I know we'll be adding the official diagnosis of ADHD to our growing list.
I, too, like quiet. Especially in the morning. The moment ds wakes up, he starts talking (with no concept of volume control.) It makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

Today was a rough day with my ds's behavior. The fact that I've felt queasy all day (and getting worse) doesn't help.

Wow, I know how that is... my ds had lead poisoning when he was a baby and it has resulted in an extreme case of adhd that makes me want to just bang my head against a wall most of the time. Constantly yelling, running around, talking non stop, even with the concerta... It's rough. Hugs.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 PM

When I was very little (2-3) I stayed with my maternal grandmother. My parents were going through hell (death of a child, divorce) and Gramma Gertie was my caretaker. I suppose my sister (4 years older) was there too, but all I remember is me and my beloved Gramma.

Gramma was a constant part of my life after my mother remarried, as we lived across the street from her and I saw her multiple times a day.

My MIL is what I have come to call a 'kodak grandparent.' This type of grandparent wants the photos of time with the children...but doesn't seem to want any real connection. Click -- head home. Ugh.

My mother, on the other hand, doesn't even try that hard.

I totally understand the feeling of not being able to get away and even celebrate anniversaries because there's no one (trusted) to care for the children. I don't have any friends close enough here to ask them to take on the energy of my three children. Seriously. And a neighborhood teenager? Well, first of all I don't know any personally, and secondly, I think I'd come home to find said teenager strapped to the wall in the basement.

It's not always easy...but it is what it is.

Maryhippie.gif

Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

There may be storms today... I can hope, right? It hit 102 yesterday and that is just obscene. It's just too hot to DO anything. I mean, the overnight low was in the 70s. We don't have a/c so I've got lots of fans blowing, but still... the air is hot and the humidity is deadly! Tor is really mommy-focused (teething maybe?) and holding him is hard since he's a sweaty little hot water bottle of a babe.

Any ideas for staying cool (physical and emotional)? The girls are so out of their skins and I just don't have any energy! I don't want to lose my "do it now" momentum... but if the weather doesn't change I'll never get anything done!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM

feeling very irritated with repair people today... already! i had plans this morning to take the kids out to breakfast and then to a used bookstore before everyone started arriving at noon (and on all damn day!) and the appliance guy called and they are coming between 9 and 11. so that blows that plan because everyone else is noon to 5. he was suppose to be a noon person too. when i mentioned it he said it was the only time he had. ugh! he was actually suppose to come yesterday but couldn't make it. all day yesterday we had to wait on people coming and fixing things. i am not complaining about stuff being fixed, just why do they need such HUGE windows. ugh! now i have to break it to the kids who are just about out of their mind with boredom. grrrr!

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 07-09-2010, 01:03 PM

mof3~ ditto that! i've had a bit harder of a re-entry, but yes. time away to quell the "what ifs"....

clay-- do you have a kiddy pool? can you grab some bags of ice and make a cool retreat? popsicles in kiddy pool helped us get thru a childhood of heat...... hugs, momma! stay cool!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM

already the fighting has started. they are so bored. i am so pissed today about the fact that so much was wrong with this place. and after all the move in fees and whatever we paid alot for this place and so much is a mess. the plumbing broke and flooded a bedroom, the drier doesn't shut off so it is a fire hazard, the oven gets so hot on the outside that you can not touch it )it is close to whatever the internal temp is), because of the flooding they had to rip up the floor in a bedroom, the dishwasher is a huge rusty mess, the sliding glass door is stuck, the carpets were suppose to be cleaned and they are NASTY no way they were cleaned (not that i care but they leave this nasty note saying you have to prove the carpets were professionally cleaned... no way this happened here)
plus our stuff is a week late getting here. i am feeling a bit overwhelmed. i want to be a bright shiny light but i am getting really mad. i feel like we deserve a rent break, this is so nuts! and i am just irritated about the whole thing. when i complain people say "well at least stuff is getting done" well yeah, but shouldn't it have NOT HAPPENED? i mean shouldn't this place have been move in ready? i am grateful that the owner and the agency are so on top of things (after the holiday of course) i am glad we haven't had to fight to get this stuff done, it still makes me mad. GRRRR!

we wanted to look around the city, go to local spots. i know it is hot, but just getting out and being in a new situation really perks the kids up. we have spent all week waiting for things to get done. all this damn waiting!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Good Morning
Day 3 kid-free. I am so happy that the kids are having a great time 4 yo DS told me on the phone that he "loves me all the time and misses me so much." He then told me about all his adventures and that he likes his bed. I'm glad he seems to be holding both thoughts: missing me, but being OK and even able to have fun without me. 6 yo DD is having such a good time she's only stopped to talk to me on the phone once so far.
Chiming in on the grandma conversation. My MIL and I have had still have many issues. I a lot of difficulty communicating with here. Every time I've opened my heart to her, it has backfired, and I end up very hurt and sad. OTOH, she loves our family, is the most involved grandparent we have, and I have a strong desire to heal our relationship while also protecting myself. I'm trying to think of a special way to thank MIL for her generosity-taking a 4 and 6 yo on her vacation, buying them plane tkts etc...Any ideas? Something meaningful, but not too pricey. Our budget's pretty tight. In the past, when I've tried to do such a thing she's responded in a strange uncomfortable way-almost with suspicion? Just typing this out helps me see how I need to just do what feels right in my heart and then release any expectations. Can you tell I have issues with my own mother? Pardon the ramble here...
*******Anyway, I always like water play for staying cool. Pots, buckets, turkey basters, squirt bottles, a hose with a sprinkler over a tree branch (if you have a "mist" setting, this doesn't use as much water and keeps the area cooler), frozen lemonade or whatever frozen treat...Good luck staying cooler everyone.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
already the fighting has started. they are so bored. i am so pissed today about the fact that so much was wrong with this place. and after all the move in fees and whatever we paid alot for this place and so much is a mess. the plumbing broke and flooded a bedroom, the drier doesn't shut off so it is a fire hazard, the oven gets so hot on the outside that you can not touch it )it is close to whatever the internal temp is), because of the flooding they had to rip up the floor in a bedroom, the dishwasher is a huge rusty mess, the sliding glass door is stuck, the carpets were suppose to be cleaned and they are NASTY no way they were cleaned (not that i care but they leave this nasty note saying you have to prove the carpets were professionally cleaned... no way this happened here)
plus our stuff is a week late getting here. i am feeling a bit overwhelmed. i want to be a bright shiny light but i am getting really mad. i feel like we deserve a rent break, this is so nuts! and i am just irritated about the whole thing. when i complain people say "well at least stuff is getting done" well yeah, but shouldn't it have NOT HAPPENED? i mean shouldn't this place have been move in ready? i am grateful that the owner and the agency are so on top of things (after the holiday of course) i am glad we haven't had to fight to get this stuff done, it still makes me mad. GRRRR!

we wanted to look around the city, go to local spots. i know it is hot, but just getting out and being in a new situation really perks the kids up. we have spent all week waiting for things to get done. all this damn waiting!
I'm so sorry. That's a lot to be wrong. I might be tempted to discuss a rent break. Hang in there mama, can you think of a small way to nurture yourself for a couple of minutes at least? Maybe hide in the bathroom with a good book or relax in a chair with a cool rag on your eyes? Hope things get better soon.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM

I had two pretty involved sets of grandparents. I'd spend entire summers with each (and even one school year). I remember kitchen times and walking to the library (both grandma's were readers) and rain shower mud puddle battles and coming home sick from blackberries (Pennsylvania) or mangoes (Puerto Rico) and train waiting.

My brother who lives with my parents is my afterschool care for DS, and you wouldn't believe the grouching and whining I get with having the kiddo over there for 90 minutes a day, 4 days a week. He is just destroying their lives. This coming from two homebodies who can't cross the street for a hot dog, I have to trot across the street to bring it to them.

DP's mom is more "grandmotherly" but she has all but one of her 7 grandkids in the area and I think my BILs take a bit of advantage of her. But I LURVE when she calls and says it's been a couple weeks since I've seen R can he sleep over? She is carless so we usually have to go to her, but no problem. I let her intiate the visits, but she is usually willing to babysit, since she knows I usually call her last.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It's pretty hot. But M has an air conditioner-- thank the Gods. We're hopefully going to a farmer's market tomorrow.

I am SO, so happy right now, mamas...a reunion just like I'd hoped for, so far
good on ya for the reunion. satisfying to the soul isnt it? and the farmers market. i think that's about my favorite thing in the world.

Quote:
'Morning, mamas!

I'm having the most amazing time, so far! We are all over each other, and tons and tons of laughter and smiles. My face hurts from smiling so much and I'm getting a ton of exercise already

OMG, so this morning M made coffee, realized he'd forgotten to get half and half for me, so he ran out and got some before he even had coffee, and now he's gone out to get my glasses fixed (I broke them in the airport yesterday), while I am still sitting here in a nightgown. He's so amazing.

Ye Gods, I am so in love

I need to shut up before y'all puke
that is REALLY sweet. coffee in the a.m. is a great start to the day.

Quote:
:

I'm going to get my hair cut this afternoon... just shaping a little and thining... they're so thick. They usually take forever to dry (if I do a pony tail on wet hair in the morning, the middle of it won't be dry when I pull it off at night)... so I went out with dripping wet hair yesterday, hoping that would keep me comfy in the heat... hair dried in about an hour.
i do this too and it seems to keep me cooler for a bout a half an hour too. i have v. thick, curly, long hair and sometimes it is a p.i.t.a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Oh my goodness? How could I have forgotten? I cut my hair a few days ago!

I'll try to get a photo.

I seem to recall some other mamas here being involved with ADF... anyone want to chat?
love to see photos. tell me more about adf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Post

Day 2 of kid-free here. DP is still sleeping! I think we're recovering from almost 7 years of sleep deprivation! Little does he know that when he's ready to get up I plan on coercing him into cleaning out the garage with me Dum, dum, duuummmm (scary music).
a break is a good thing. didcha get the garage done? or at least underway?

Quote:

plus i am so motivated again. i have had this dream for YEARS to open a free clinic that supplied people with alternative medicine and midwives, doulas, massage therapy, community gardens, LLL meetings, onsite day care sort of thing, parenting classes. being here really woke that up again. got me thinking again.

anyway... just thought i would share. lol
this is very close to my dream too.

Quote:
I can't respond to everything because i'm on mah NEW LAPTOP WOOT! And I'm sooo having to adjust to using it lol. It's schmexy as heck though... and I think I'm going to like this portability business. I'm on the veranda with a cuppa hehehe.
we got a newish laptop too and i am still finding my way around it.

Quote:
feeling very irritated with repair people today... already! i had plans this morning to take the kids out to breakfast and then to a used bookstore before everyone started arriving at noon (and on all damn day!) and the appliance guy called and they are coming between 9 and 11. so that blows that plan because everyone else is noon to 5. he was suppose to be a noon person too. when i mentioned it he said it was the only time he had. ugh! he was actually suppose to come yesterday but couldn't make it. all day yesterday we had to wait on people coming and fixing things. i am not complaining about stuff being fixed, just why do they need such HUGE windows. ugh! now i have to break it to the kids who are just about out of their mind with boredom. grrrr!
we got a new refridgerator la couple of weeks ago and they put off the delivery several times. which woulda frusterating but livable had the old one not been dead for a month. living out a cooler with teenagers is. not. easy. i am so greatful to have a new refridgerator now.

Quote:

this must be so frusterating. i am sorry. can you call your local renters union? do other cities even have these?

things are moving along here. we went to a memorial service the night before last, and ian found a purse by the river, he had to climg over a fence to retreve it got the id. and brought it to me, i said great! you gotta go get the purse too. so he did, and i emailed the woman, (had her business cards in the purse, and we got in touch. turns out she is in town for a christian conference and wouldnt be able to fly without her id. so we brought it to her outside of the conference center, and she rewarded ian with 20 dollars. and to us how the good lord helped us find it. which i found really humours because i thought a river goddess helped ian find it.

the weather here is still hot. hot. hot. but i am doing some tincturing and drying of herbs to use the heat energy of the sun, bless those plants.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

ADF- Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship, It's funny that I'm interested in ADF because I remember being in college and dismissing ADF as...well... "not as serious" as OBOD. And now I really feel like ADF holds itself to a very high standard and that they have a pretty serious attention to detail. Probably the opinion of a few of my friends (members of OBOD) rubbed off on me. But 15-20 years ago I never would have envisioned myself in ADF. But right now it feels like the right place for DH and I. I guess I'll see how the dedicant path goes.

The Dedicant Path takes a year or so... you document your process in mastering various ADF virtues, you write book reports, you keep a journal documenting meditation and whatnot, you celebrate a year's worth of rituals in the ADF format, etc.

much too hot

much!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
awsome. thanks, clay.
we i ddi some work today with flower essences and cleaned a bunch. things still dont feel CLEAN after the bugeralry. but its getting better. i am worried about financially recovering from this all.
on and ians auntie was supposed to come over, to loan me her camera (she doesnt use it anymore and it was cheap to begin with.) she called. she put it off until alter and still isnt here. i need a camera, for work she offered hers and was very kind in dong so, but i wish she wouldnt blow us off...being robbed sucks.

so now i am going to comcentrate on the positive.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
a break is a good thing. didcha get the garage done? or at least underway?
Yes. We. Did. DP is off donating as I write. It feels so good! We moved into our house 1 year ago, and there were still many boxes to go through from that. Then of course the mess from going through various boxes here and there looking for things we needed. We could barely park our bikes in there. Now you can walk around (it's only a 1 car garage), things are organized, and I set up an art work area!

I'm sorry about your break in. Did you loose quite a bit? I hope everything feels clean again soon.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
YAY.wow! How cool! Lucky you! I want one of those tiny purse-sized ones. Ahh, someday.
No tiny thing for me.. I can't cope with those itty keyboards lol. I'm actually using the desktop at the moment, simply because the glide pad is giving me the poops. MUST get a mouse for it, then I'll be thrilled. I did, however, sit on the patio and browse online for laptop bags with Connor earlier

Quote:
clay-- do you have a kiddy pool? can you grab some bags of ice and make a cool retreat? popsicles in kiddy pool helped us get thru a childhood of heat...... hugs, momma! stay cool!
We have totally done this before...

Quote:

Um... I would seriously rock up to the agents and say, listen, this place is a LEMON. Give me my $ back, We'll GTFO and find another place and you can either bomb this one or spend 6months doing the renovations that clearly need to be done. If not, then I'd be on the phone to the tenants union (and yep aweyn, they are here too) That just REALLY sucks!

Today we woke up and went over to the parents around lunch to collect the bigger 2. I popped out after we got home & grabbed groceries, and we put a turkey breast in the oven ... we're having xmas dinner in July tonight While I was putting stuff away, the neighbors from across the road came over to ask if we heard anything last night... someone broke into their 2 cars AND their visiting MIL's car They didn't break any windows or anything, but they stole misc stuff and the MIL's navman gps thingy Felt bad for them, they seem like average folks (and like us they want out of this neighborhood but they can't afford to move). Dh's van will be locked up like ft. knox now and my car will be in the garage (which is almost always is anyway)

Anyway.. off to go start rearranging the family room to make room for the comp. desks so we can start making a room for D!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 AM

Greetings all. I finally caught up reading from the last week.

I'm glad it sounds like there are fewer sickie-ickies around, but unfortunately lots of frustration.

I'm finally kicking a strep infection that decided to hit, um, not my throat. Found out the hard way I can't handle goldenseal, so I had to go on antibiotics. I had to go back to the doctors today again though. Two weeks ago at my annual exam, my naturopath checked out a raised sore on the back of my head. She said if it doesn't heal in 2 weeks - go to an MD. I had DH check it out today to see if it improved - he said it looked like I was growing an alien "go to a doctor." Nice, just what I wanted to hear in the morning.

Got in to see an PA at my doc's office. Turns out I (likely) have a keratoacanthoma (yup, had to have her write that mouth-garble down). I'm getting it cut off on Monday. I'm sure its not cancerous (it is in my hair, so really no sun exposure), but still a little concerning. It will probably delay the haircut I was planning, because I'll have a chunk of hair shaved at the nap of my neck and probably an ugly wound for a while.

I got a new tree this week though. My mom bought us a mountain ash tree for mother's day, father's day & our anniversary for last year & this year. (I was supposed to pick it out last year.) A local nursery had a moose get inside their moose fence and damage a couple of their large trees, so I got a 4" diameter, 15 foot tall tree for less $$ than a tree half its size. And they planted it and put a moose fence around it. I love it. It makes me excited for fall with the leaves turn and winter with the red berries.

I know why I moved to AK from Georgia. I really am a wimp when it comes to heat. We reached 72 today - it really was to hot for me. Oddly today was a record cold this morning at 44. It is now raining at 55. But the hot spike and the rain is good for my garden, especially the raspberries. I don't think my zucs are going to make it this year. Too cool, unless today is actually the trend for the month and not the only warm day of the summer. (Our 4th day this summer over 65)

Have a wonderful weekend.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 07-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Good morning, mamas! Woke up too early with way too little sleep-- probably a nap will be in order today :yawning but it looks to be a gorgeous day. Super-hard rainstorms in the forecast, but right now? Breathtaking!

Quote:
the neighbors from across the road came over to ask if we heard anything last night... someone broke into their 2 cars AND their visiting MIL's car They didn't break any windows or anything, but they stole misc stuff and the MIL's navman gps thingy
Dh's van will be locked up like ft. knox now and my car will be in the garage
Wow, how awful. I'm glad your cars escaped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I'm sure its not cancerous (it is in my hair, so really no sun exposure), but still a little concerning. It will probably delay the haircut I was planning, because I'll have a chunk of hair shaved at the nap of my neck and probably an ugly wound for a while.
Yikes! Yay that it's nothing, though!

User Tag List