Pagan Summer Camp (intro/week one) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mornin'! it's still early here, and i've not wiped the sleep from my eyes, but i have my coffee, my incense, and my laptop in the garden!

i have the witches almanac, but to be honest, those are often larger ritual ideas, which tend to make me feel guilty for not spending more time on them.... sometimes it's good for a quickie, though!

i love the idea of using a different book... i was thinking i'd do that with my rose catalog... begin figuring out which roses want to be in my garden! i also have a really sweet home decorating book, which has really simple, soothing home ideas that are easy to apply...that might be nice as well.

i also love the TM idea!... i tend to avoid mine in the morning, because it's so huge and so overwhelming.... once i had the idea to make cards out of it, and draw one each day. might try something like that, keep it quick and simple, because my map has not been a regular part of my day.

i usually do morning cards... i'll eta mine in a bit. --ok. i drew the eagle: "spirit,integrity, connection to the angelic realm"... then i drew a "word" card and got "integrity." hmmmm.....

btw-- not lost on me that i "put off" the "do it now" camp last night... but for what it's worth i did it for a "do it now" i think you'll all approve of.... finally watching half blood prince (though we didnt make it all the way thru....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 11:43 AM

crafting! yippie!

i used to do a lot with a huge jar of embroidery thread and a small jar of semi-precious stone beads... quick and easy, tie one on in the morning, cut it off (and any negativity with it!) at night...

i love the idea of wind chimes. i was at a home recently that had those really huge wonderful ones, and it really did make me pause each time i heard them. they're on my wish list, for sure!

i keep a small vase of water on the kitchen windowsill or on my altar, to remind myself to "fill" ME back up-- that was a camp idea, maybe from year one?

sometimes i keep my meditation music running in the bedroom, so each time i go in there, i get a "whiff" of calm (we keep the door closed, so i dont hear it if i'm in the rest of the house)... (ok, that's not crafting, but it's a "bump into reminder")

for a while, i had beaded thematic charms on each window-- by room, sort of reminding me what the purpose of the room was-- calming in the bathroom, rich and sexy in the bedroom, earthy and rustic in the kitchen, playful in the crafting/play/etc area......

i also lurve to collect treasures on walks... i have a huge box filled with pinecones, rocks, shells, driftwood.... i keep them out in various places, so that i remember that moment of joy, calm, playfulness, etc... when i see them--nice to combine that with photos from the trip they came from... i have a photo frame with a pic of us on the beach, and shells from the beach in the frame (it's one of those double ones... glass inside to hold treasures, sort of like a shadow box). or maybe one of those electronic frames-- and put a special slide show on it, of special images that will ground you each time you walk by it.... i keep a photo collage on our bedroom door. it has images from my life before dh/ds, images of just dh and i, and images of all of us... all of them sort of "key" moments, that remind me of "our energy"... keeps me in the spirit of us, rather than getting distracted by other's energies as the day goes on.....

i'll get out ds's crafts for later and see what we can come up with today! maybe finish our "summer" gingerbread house...... use it to remind us of our metaphorical home......
#33 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
those are some great idea's aweynsayl

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#34 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Morning Cards... Yay for FB tarot, its the intent which counts.
Day: The World (Inverted) It's Thanksgiving Day. You've just finished a delicious meal, and there's a hot mug of coffee in your hand. Friends and family are arguing about the latest fiasco, the baby's cooing at you from across the table, and your feet are rubbing the belly of a devoted mutt. You're happy, fulfilled and truly thankful (at least until you have to start the dishes!). For this moment, the World and everything in it is yours.
We all recognize this feeling. It can come at any time or place and is always welcome. We can feel it at home raking the leaves or on the world stage accepting the Nobel Prize. It can seem quiet and simple, or wild and glorious. What is this feeling, and where does it come from? Card 21 can help us find out.

Me: The Hanged Man (Inverted) The Hanged Man is one of the most mysterious cards in the tarot deck. It is simple, but complex. It attracts, but also disturbs. It contradicts itself in countless ways. The Hanged Man is unsettling because it symbolizes the action of paradox in our lives. A paradox is something that appears contradictory, and yet is true. The Hanged Man presents to us certain truths, but they are hidden in their opposites. The main lesson of the Hanged Man is that we 'control' by letting go - we 'win' by surrendering. The figure on Card 12 has made the ultimate surrender - to die on the cross of his own travails - yet he shines with the glory of divine understanding. He has sacrificed himself, but he emerges the victor. The Hanged Man also tells us that we can 'move forward' by standing still. By suspending time, we can have all the time in the world.

Morning Readings Once again - yay for google:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

Ahh the message today - let go, surrender, accept, and be thankful in the little things

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#35 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Crafts! In the spirit of DO IT NOW - I'll be shredding a favorite pair of jeans (they have too many holes in all the wrong spots) along with wool sweater that I have had sitting in my desk drawer and braiding a small rug for my kitchen sink to remind me of softness, & love.

I loved those jeans and yup its been on my list for a very long time to do, and now is the time. I like the water idea too...

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#36 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM

here, clay-- an 09 camp links thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
those are some great idea's aweynsayl
thankee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
I loved those jeans and yup its been on my list for a very long time to do, and now is the time.
wow! that sounds wonderful!
#37 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

2009 link added to OP!

Love the idea for a rug! That's a bigger craft than I can manage with the wee ones, but I'd love to do something along those lines. And what a great reminder to sink into comfort... every time you stand on it you'll have that reminder and all the positive memories!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#38 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 PM

What inspirational ideas!

Quote of the day:

Robert Service
Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.

Mamas, this is a great reminder for me these days. I seem to have gotten into the habit of thinking more negatively than I have in a long time. I'm working on it.

Hmm still pondering a Do It Now craft...Maybe I'll put a grain of sand in my shoe.

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#39 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
And this year I am moving from NY to NC in the middle of camp but I want to participate as much as possible anyway.
Where in NC? I'm in Asheville-- though at the moment, I'm visiting in MA. When are you moving?

So, mamas, M and I went to Barnes and Noble today, and I found a daily reader I think I'll be happy with. It's called Pocketful of Miracles by Joan Borysenko.
Today's thought was basically when you do your life review, what kind of impression will you have left on other people? One of joy or one of pain? And see if you can bring a consciousness of love into every interaction

No crafties for me. Not here in MA, anyway! I don't have daily ones, but sometimes I do make friendship bracelets with intent. I also have my little bitty kitchen altar on the back of the stove, which, since I'm in the kitchen most of the time, I do focus intent on that.
I love the wind chime idea.
I will have to think on daily crafties.

I have been trying to smudge every morning, and salute the directions and the Goddess and God.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#40 of 89 Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM

We are moving to Cary, NC. I hope to visit Asheville on a long weekend in the next year or so, though. My mama was there a few years ago and said I would love it.

The river rocks colors thing was an immense help. We got my mama all moved out and tomorrow is her big day! I hope she's able to get a good night's sleep tonight!

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#41 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 12:05 AM

This is not routine time for me -- I'm not working this month, and my days are about painting my kitchen and figuring out what my kitchen altar will be when I set it up again, spending time with my kids, facilitating their priorities in an unschooly spirit, focusing on diet and exercise, and self care in general. Finally getting my hair cut tomorrow! We are also going out of town a couple times and having my mom here later this month *braces self*. I'm actually choosing not to do crafty stuff right now, even neglecting the garden, choosing to give myself the gift of open, free time as much as possible.

One thing I'm loving is getting to sleep in, or at least wake up at my own pace. My kids are finally able to fend for themselves a bit in the mornings -- the little one will come back for a snuggle if he misses me -- and I'm taking time to remember and think about my dreams. I think I'll dust off the dream altar tonight and ask for a dream to remember and ponder for tomorrow morning, in the oracular spirit.

I've been using my town's library as a stichomancy source, since one of my kids is in a program there this week.

Here's a quote that stood out today, from a book picked at random (Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran Foer -- looks worth reading through)

"Humans are the only animals that have children on purpose, keep in touch (or don't), care about birthdays, waste and lose time, brush their teeth, feel nostalgia, scrub stains, have religions and political parties and laws, wear keepsakes, apologize years after an offense, whisper, fear themselves, interpret dreams, hide their genitalia, shave, bury time capsules, and can choose not to eat something for reasons of conscience."

I heart Robert Service, btw that quote. And ideas, cards and quotes so far.

I've been talking about this on the witchy weight loss thread, but I'm teaching myself to hoop (deosil, widdershins, and on all the lower chakras) I'm giving myself the rare treat of listening to an entire album of music I've never heard before while I hoop -- I think that's probably old fashioned, now, listening to albums, but mostly it's been Raffi and Laurie Berkner for the past 13 years, so I'm ready to branch out to grownup music, and I enjoy the space of an album to really hear what the artist/songwriter(s) are trying to say. Music was important to me once and I'm trying to find that connection again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, btw -- should have meaningful intelligible lyrics, be of any genre as long as it has at least sort of a beat to exercise to, and be popular enough that my library is likely to have it.
#42 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
How can you nurture your self and your spirit through phsyical triggers? What can you do RIGHT NOW, THIS MOMENT, to bring connection into your space? Small things, easy things, a flower on the shelf of the fridge and ribbon tied around your ankle, a bead strung through a zipper pull, a cd set in the window to throw rainbows across the room....

Stay cool, stay happy, sip those camp beverages and share those campy crafts!
I need to adopt your bracelets of intent...a click as it bumped against the keyboard etc would be a nice, gentle reminder to get back into 'life'.

You have such lovely ideas! I must admit I'm feeling very bereft of 'craftiness/creativity' lately. The one place that isn't holding true is in the garden. (I consider gardening very crafty and tasty ) I am making sure I spend time out there daily because it's very nurturing for me.. and added bonus, the kids always come out with me to 'help' and we discover whatever is new & exciting together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
For the Lazy and Facebooker- I did my tarot on facebook, got the empress
Ok.. I totally did NOT need to know that fb had a tarot app

clearly I had to have it my card of the day is...

Quote:
Temperance
Calm and balance. Need to have patience for events surrounding you as they play out. Moderation. Accommodation. Reflection on your life. Maturity. Draw emotions in and stop overreacting to outside forces. Contemplation and reflection on events, relationships and work. Be the calming force in chaos. Possible to overcome addiction to substance, people or relationships. Obsession passing. Order being restored. Bring calm to mind and behavior patterns. A time of peace is beginning. Let it wash over you.
Definitely apt for me at the moment as my older son (17) will be moving here soonish. The last two years have been a time of healing for us and I think this is a contination.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#43 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Hey Ladies, going to post a question in the other thread but wanted to pop in here to see what was new.

I hoping to pick up some new candles today cause they really help me focus and I am low on colors but had to laugh, cause my white candle, which is on my kitchen altar - well, it is melting in the heat. So, since it is for cleansing, I am taking that as a good sign. hehehe

I think hair, and hair rituals are really important. As I read about different cultures, the very early ones, women wore their hair long and plain-they wore simple hats, coverings. I have had my hair short for years, but am growing it out now. It feels good, which is odd, as it usually drives me nuts. I am thinking of putting a permanent braid in and adding beads as a symbol of my intentions for the year. I am also buying new shampoo today, henna maybe?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#44 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

WHAT MAKES A CAMPER HAPPY? CAMP FOOD!

Think about it... food is an important part of memory making. Toasting marshmallows, illicit after hours snacks from home, hot dogs and burgers, potato salad, and so on. I remember nothing about my first girl scout camping trip beyond the fact that there were pit toilets (ugh) and we ate french toast cooked on a camp fire (yum). Food is a big deal!

And I don't know about you, but I tend to eat at least a few times a day. Which makes eating a great opportunity for the "Do It Now" approach! What building block of pagan practice can you add to your food?

Could you offer a blessing on the workers who prepared your coffee (either the people who picked the beans or the person behind the counter)? Perhaps meditate for a moment on the blending of coffee and cream? The balance of bitter and sweet? Log into the computer with coffee in hand and sign one petition, send one letter to your state/federal rep, make one FB post, aimed at bringing social justice to the agricultural world? Think quick, think easy, think "what is in my hand right now and what does it mean?".

How can you apply this awareness to the various meals of the day?

Can you smile at a stranger as part of your daily "choco-fix"? Or could you use that chocolate as a trigger to remind you to give thanks for ____ (perhaps the first thing you see after taking a bite of chocolate?).

When you prepare food can you stir good will into the food, bless the plates, offer a drop of drink and a crumb of food on your altar or out of doors, use a ritual table cloth, or....?

What techniques do you use already, and which techniques might be worth trying out?

Every night we sing a blessing before we eat dinner. It's just at the one meal, but it's the only meal where we are all together. The one we use is:

Blessings on the blossoms
blessings on the fruit
blessings on the leaves and stems
blessings on the root

Blessings on this meal!

The girls love it, dh hams it up, and it reminds us to pause and connect with our food, our family, and our gods.

How about you? What makes your meals special? What are your pagan building blocks to "DO IT NOW" while preparing food or, even better, eating it up?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#45 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 AM

I love charging my water with LOVE or another inspiring word.

I'm thinking of leaving a tall glass of water (covered) by the window at night to let the Moon infuse it with her energy.

I add intention in almost every food I make/bake.

I have a favorite wooden spoon and I'm thinking about decorating it with symbols... will ask DS for his wood burning pen.

DH's schedule is making family meals virtually inexistent right now... looking forward having every one at the table at the same time very soon!

I find the preparation of teas very spiritual... very centering. I try to put the same attention into making my coffee but the morning brain fog makes it challenging... maybe I could switch the preparation to the night before, when I'm wide awake.

Getting my food from the garden or the Farmer's Market really makes a difference to me... I feel a difference in the energy of the produce... I think the connection with the hands that cared for the Earth might be the key.

Valérie   
#46 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

FR~ love the sand idea!

aubergine, your schedule (lack) sounds lovely. as for music recs (i want to join that thread! how do i find it?)... maybe some paul simon? i'm thinking rhythm of the saints or graceland... graceland is wonderful for exercise. maybe some indigo girls, or nancy griffin.

aeress, as a super-long-haired gal, i love those ideas! i cant not have my hair long. i feel like i lose me. i wont let anyone else cut it.

FOOD.
i actually did a "do it now" food thing yesterday... i'd been meaning to make some summer mulled wine (white wine, brewed with mulling spices, then chilled). finally just DID it. yummmm. i do a lot of intent with beverages... less so with food. although, i do make a lot of family recipes, which connect me to my grandmother, who was very important to me. let's see... i'm in the garden now, looking at a really beautiful sage plant. and some mint that's going a bit wild. i'll make some mint something, and incorporate fresh sage into dinner..... i'll go NOW and pick some and take it inside so i bump into it and remember.
#47 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Card pull: Caroline Myss' Healing Cards

Front: A visit or call from a friend can heal you.
Back: You can also heal a friend in this same way. Is there someone you've been wanting to contact but haven't made time for? Today make the time.

Ah, perfecto! Last night I saw an old friend/co-worker who was in from out of town. It was so nice to see him, re-connect with him and myself-my former full-time career self. I know just who I should contact. I will pause and Do It Now.

Oh that felt so good!
I got up this morning and put 2 decks of cards next to my bed and a pretty polished stone that DP gave me to put on top of my morning card.

Food
Clay, I love your blessing. I'd like to incorporate something like that. Our meal times could use more intent in general. Food's not too big of a deal for my kids. They get to the table eat fast and get back to what they're doing...often before I've sat down yet.

Awyn-I remember reading about your summer mulled wine before, and I want in. Would you mind sharing how to do it one more time?

Once again, so many inspired ideas. Thank you all for sharing.

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#48 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Camp food- not first thing in the morning, but gotta think about this one. Time to put my kitchen back together today, the paint is dry....

aweyn -witchy weight loss thread here Thanks for the music suggestions -- Graceland sounds about right and I haven't listened to that in 20 years, easily. Never actually did listen to the Indigo Girls and have never heard of Nancy Griffin... so those are new-to-me.thanks!

I love the idea of burning symbols in wooden spoons, V.

Got woken up to deal with ds's nightmare/need to use the toilet in the night (he's still in dipes when he sleeps). Lost most of the thread of the dream. Two images remain, like two cards drawn.

1 -- An apartment building, walkup, with a 2 bedroom apartment for rent in a not-great neighborhood, but clean and safe enough and one could fix it up to make it very livable. A good place to choose to live to make a beginning from. The kind of place I lived in with my best friend when I first moved out when we were both students, where you got a hundred dollars a month off the rent because it was the only building on the block that didn't have balconies....the building manager was a hippie named Velvett....hmmmn....meditating on what that place meant to me this morning.

2- A golden sword charged in the sun that could cut through knotted rope -- energy to break through difficulties?
#49 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Crafts: I'm taking a class on religious/meditative jewelery making. Perfect timing or what!

And I do want to go back to food blessings.That was part of my religious practice as a Christian child, and for me, at least, is probably one of the greatest ways to keep mindful of the gift of food.

My coffee tastes extra delicious this morning. It almost sent me into a blessing with one sip!

Come ponder with me about food!
#50 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM

time to be honest My crafty plans might not be going anywhere, too big and ambitious right now. So trying to scale back and figure out something simple but charged with intention. I'd love something to have at work, to remind me to breath, trust and flow with the universe. Ideas?

I tried the FB tarot cards again - but I'm not feeling it. So I asked my magic 8ball (which I've had forever). First - should I get a deck of Tarot: With out a doubt Second - Should I focus on incorporating a daily devotional into my life All signs point to YES I'll listen to my mantra and ask for inspiration.

Food - mmm I love food, and more so the blessings and saying thank you. Food is my way of saying thank you, enjoy and to provide comfort when someone is in need. Food is love to me.

#51 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

I've never connected with tarot... I love the art, and have used decks in art projects, but as an oracular tool? No go. I had a celtic deck that worked for me (based in ogam) and this rune deck works too. So if tarot feels wrong, just keep looking! Well, keep looking if you want... there's no reason to have a divination tool of that sort if you don't want one. My normal "go to" tool is a pendulum.

hair- there's a pagan headcovering thread in religious studies... personally I find that head/hair covering is a handy spiritual tool. I have a collection of scarves, wraps, woven bands, and jeweled/beaded wire "strands" that I wear at different times and for different reasons.

blessings- that one came from dd1's preschool. They sing it before meals. They have a "thank you" song too but it was too much for us. Along the lines of "do it now", I'd rather do something small consistantly than fail to do something bigger and then feel bad about it. I'm trying to overcome my "think big" nature (I think big then give up/get overwhelmed and not only does nothing get done, I feel bad about it too.) so.... just a quick, 30 second, blessing song and even then only before dinner.

--I've been using the "secular" version of Motivated Moms to help me focus on "enough"... it provides a short list of chores for each day and you check them off as you go. The thing is they're really small "to-do" items, like, "clean the top shelf of the fridge" or "wipe down the outside of the stove".... After a month or so you'll have done the whole fridge, and the whole stove, and the whole whatever it may be, but it will have happened gradually without anyone getting overwhelmed, and you'll get the instant feedback of successfully checking off the day's boxes. A blend of "enforced enough" and "do it now"---

#52 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
I love charging my water with LOVE or another inspiring word.
I used to do this too sometimes. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Could you offer a blessing on the workers who prepared your coffee (either the people who picked the beans or the person behind the counter)? Perhaps meditate for a moment on the blending of coffee and cream? The balance of bitter and sweet? Log into the computer with coffee in hand and sign one petition, send one letter to your state/federal rep, make one FB post, aimed at bringing social justice to the agricultural world? Think quick, think easy, think "what is in my hand right now and what does it mean?".
This reminds me of the latest Elemental Castings Podcast -- episode 31 on this link. My brain is too heat-fogged to sum it up, but it is an inspiring meditation on our relationships with our bodies and with the earth that imo fits very well the theme of "do it now."

Quote:
My normal "go to" tool is a pendulum.

Funny - I didn't know that, but the Clarity necklace I got from Hearth and Home has become my first pendulum.

I have decided that I *love* the tarot, really have an affection for it and the symbolism of it, but it is not a divination tool for me, either.

it provides a short list of chores for each day and you check them off as you go. The thing is they're really small "to-do" items, like, "clean the top shelf of the fridge" or "wipe down the outside of the stove".... After a month or so you'll have done the whole fridge, and the whole stove, and the whole whatever it may be, but it will have happened gradually without anyone getting overwhelmed, and you'll get the instant feedback of successfully checking off the day's boxes. A blend of "enforced enough" and "do it now"---
I've been working on developing my own chore lists - 12 noon, 3 pm, 8 pm for things that need to be done every day - I include things like brushing teeth and vitamins as well, anything that needs to be done routinely, and a weekly list as well. I worked up a checklist and used it pretty regularly for about six months - just took it down for painting. I think I will revise it a bit and reprint.
#53 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM

I've been reading along & gotten some great ideas. I have so much going on, it's easy for me to get anxious and overwhelmed. So my Do it Now is to keep breathing. And take a little time out here too.
For the crafty among us, a couple years ago I made 4 seasonal goddess dolls. Only about 4 inched tall and I beaded and decorated them seasonally. They are great spiritual reminders sitting around and are very simple to make.
Better go put together some of those great ideas before the opportunity passes!
#54 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Neat! The MM program has a list of "every day chores" (a dozen things, ranging from "clean the catbox" to "take your vitamins" to "do the laundry" to "exercise" to "quiet time" to "clean the sink") along with a different set of tasks for each day. I've color coded the daily stuff and edited it to suit... so there are 4 morning things, 4 during the day things, and five evening/night things. It has really been keeping me motivated to exercise and do things in small doses.

#55 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Hrmm, I have a couple of pagan meal blessings in my house binder that I created for last camp. Wonder if DBF would be comfortable adding that in?? He doesn't really like to sit at the table and eat, but I find it important. Whoops, bit of a ramble there. Anyway, I can always just say them in my head.

Card for today:

I'm using The Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards.

Ostara-Fertility
"It is the perfect time for you to start new projects, access new ideas and give birth to new conditions."

The little book has a message, but its really long and probably can't post it here.

Various Meanings of This Card:
Signifies Pregnancy, Be involved with a successful conception, adoption or custody resolution. Its an opportune time to make changes.

Well, we all know how much I want a child of my own, to give birth, etc. I have a feeling that's probably not what this card means for me. The little message was about being positive, like attracting like, a bit LOA if you will. Which is something I have been struggling with.

Hrmmm....thoughts?

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#56 of 89 Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
We are moving to Cary, NC. I hope to visit Asheville on a long weekend in the next year or so, though. My mama was there a few years ago and said I would love it.
That's between Chapel Hill and Raleigh-- which would make it about 4 hours away from me. Maybe 3-1/2 depending on traffic.
You oughtta come visit! You would love it. Very crunchy/alternative and tons of resources for AP parenting, vegetarians, etc. Plus it's gorgeous! I'm about 5 minutes drive from the Biltmore Estate.

Quote:
How can you apply this awareness to the various meals of the day?

What techniques do you use already, and which techniques might be worth trying out?

How about you? What makes your meals special? What are your pagan building blocks to "DO IT NOW" while preparing food or, even better, eating it up?
I am pretty sure I've posted all our food blessings on another past camp. Or some thread! If not, I'll repost them.
I sometimes stir a pentagram into whatever I'm making.
I also have a tiny altar on the back of the stove, but at the moment it's just got a candle on it, and a timer, and my grandma troll. I need to do it for Lammas when I get home, maybe, or at least put some fresh stuff on there! Maybe some mint or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
I have a favorite wooden spoon and I'm thinking about decorating it with symbols..
Good idea! Might steal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
i cant not have my hair long. i feel like i lose me.
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Post
Food's not too big of a deal for my kids. They get to the table eat fast and get back to what they're doing...often before I've sat down yet.
I allow ds to eat in his room a lot of the time, but not for dinner, usually. When we have dinner together, I let him light a candle (which is a huge privilege for him) and we say a blessing. We used to use one of the many Pagan ones, but he's taken to trying to get through them as fast as possible so he can eat.
So I found this little book of graces that I've had for ages, and it has lots of blessings from lots of traditions, and I let him pick and read a new one each time.

When eating with others, I often say a blessing silently. Sometimes I hold my hands, palms down, over my plate, to soak up energy from the food and its sources, as I give thanks.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#57 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
WHAT MAKES A CAMPER HAPPY? CAMP FOOD!

Could you offer a blessing on the workers who prepared your coffee (either the people who picked the beans or the person behind the counter)?

Heh I do believe I shall go have a meditative moment thinking fond blessings to the person that picked the glorious beans that are going into the lovely cuppa that I'm about to drink

We actually don't 'DO' anything as far as formal meal blessings etc... it was never a part of my childhood so it feels awkward to me to say a spoken blessing. I do 'cook with intent' and often light a tea light on my kitchen altar Someone mentioned symbols on wooden spoons... I actually had the idea to do that years ago but never did... kitchen witch wands!

Not cooking tonight though, so I'll be blessing the lovely human being who rolled our sushi for us today

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#58 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM

Subbing, now I need to catch up.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#59 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Well, the Fairies sure know how to give me little Do-it-now tasks, this morning card:

Family Harmony

The fairies ask you to think of three reasons why you are grateful for each member of your family. If one person seems to particularly frustrate you, think of five reasons why that person is worthy of love.

Off to get my coffee and do that task while I make the cake I was suppose to do last night.

And Clay, you inspired me and I got the Motivated Mom program (it's only 4$ now since there's half of the year over). We'll see if it helps me.

Valérie   
#60 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

This is the way we stack the blocks, stack the blocks, stack the blocks....

So campers! Rise and shine! We've looked at a few different "do it now" ways to build a daily practice. Morning Readings, Morning Cards, Physical Reminders/Wearable Art, and Fast Food Fancies (from how the food is made to how it is eaten). The goal is to discover the building blocks that work for you... 30 seconds here or there, bite sized blessings, reminders to ground/center/focus/breath built into your day!

And soooo... we've built options into our mornings, mindful reminders into our days, an intentional meal or thankful treat... onward into the evening!

What can you do (in, say, 5 minutes or less) to unwind? Could you hang a charm/word/symbol on your door (or grab a sharpie and "paint" a symbol) to touch as you enter your home? Could you visualize "taking off" the world as you remove your shoes? Perhaps you could take a coin and put it in a special jar with the intent of donating that money once a year to a cause dear to your heart... and use this act as a chance to think about that cause and then put it out of mind knowing you are actively working towards a solution (this is good if you tend to worry about big world problems instead of sleeping )? Could you grab a handful of salt and scrub away the cares of the day in the shower? Use a candle during your shower/bath/evening toothbrushing to bathe in light? Could you rub a special strand of beads or a finger labyrinth as you lay in bed? Could you bless the nightlight, sing a lullaby to the trees, open your window and blow a kiss to the moon, leave a tiny silver bead and a drop of milk out for the Fair Folk (you can get a bag of itty bitty faerie sized beads for a few dollars and have offerings for a year!)?

Let's share ideas for simple, easy, no-time or nearly no-time ways to wrap up the day in a mindful way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page