Pagan Summer Camp (intro/week one) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
What can you do (in, say, 5 minutes or less) to unwind? Could you hang a charm/word/symbol on your door (or grab a sharpie and "paint" a symbol) to touch as you enter your home? Could you visualize "taking off" the world as you remove your shoes? Perhaps you could take a coin and put it in a special jar with the intent of donating that money once a year to a cause dear to your heart... and use this act as a chance to think about that cause and then put it out of mind knowing you are actively working towards a solution (this is good if you tend to worry about big world problems instead of sleeping )? Could you grab a handful of salt and scrub away the cares of the day in the shower? Use a candle during your shower/bath/evening toothbrushing to bathe in light? Could you rub a special strand of beads or a finger labyrinth as you lay in bed? Could you bless the nightlight, sing a lullaby to the trees, open your window and blow a kiss to the moon, leave a tiny silver bead and a drop of milk out for the Fair Folk (you can get a bag of itty bitty faerie sized beads for a few dollars and have offerings for a year!)?

Let's share ideas for simple, easy, no-time or nearly no-time ways to wrap up the day in a mindful way!
I used to keep my obsidian under my pillow/hold it in my hand to fall asleep... (and carry it around in my pocket all the time) It was a great way to ground into the Earth energy and release the day... I'll see if there's a crystal in my stack that want to help me at night.

I want to make my own toothpaste and infuse it with healing energy... You're making me think I might even make two different batches dedicated for morning and evening. Using stimulating essence/herb for the morning one and calming/cleansing essence for night.

Valérie   
#62 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

to the repetition... vacation bible school was more or less the same exact "stuff" each summer... the only thing that changes were the crafts and, sometimes, the order of the day. After all, no one was adding new apostles or bible quotes!

My Morning Reading included the following line:
Quote:
it is all right to change course as we seek the best way to Spirit; it is equally all right to stay where we arae - as long as we realize that compromising our truth is dangerous.
and ended with the following challenge:

Quote:
If you are oriented on your path by a set of rules not of your making, or coasting along with a contract you have not fully consented to, ask yourself what strongly held beliefs that course is ignoring or causing you to change or diminish.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I used to set out food/drink every night for the Fair Folk (I had an offering stone in the garden at my last house) but I've fallen out of that habit. The ADF path has a strong "offering" focus and I think my daily reading is pointing out the need to re-create and build this sort of connection again. I need to go into town this afternoon and I think I'll stop at the craft store and get one of those "bag of silver beads" (itty bitty beads... a few hundred to a bag). Then I'll see about building an offering stone/earth altar.

And for the do it now bit? Does a to-do list count?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#63 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Morning/Afternoon Campers

I just wanted to give a quick check in, and then I'll try to come back around later after I put a little more thought into the evening wind down.

Morning card from Caroline Myss Healing Cards:
"Without hope, we live in desire."
Ask yourself, "What are my desires?" Then ask, "What are my genuine needs?" Discover how casually you desire things that have no real value for you. Then you'll realize how easily you lose your power.

Hmmm

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#64 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
I want to make my own toothpaste and infuse it with healing energy... You're making me think I might even make two different batches dedicated for morning and evening. Using stimulating essence/herb for the morning one and calming/cleansing essence for night.
This is good! Post recipes, when you get them? Pretty please?

Dunno about evening routine. By the time ds goes to bed, I'm wiped from his extreme energy after his meds wear off. Then I talk to M, usually, then read my book and go to sleep. M is grounding for me-- he's the first adult energy I've had since ds was born. Good, grounding, loving adult energy. He does really help me-- but I do need a spiritual source as well. Must think on this.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#65 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Homemade toothpaste- I just mix some baking soda with peppermint eo, and I have some powered myrrh in there too. Sea salt and other eo's ( cinnamon?) are more options. I keep it in a tiny lidded glass jar.

Evening unwind- a quick stretch or yoga posture or two would be quick and easy.

I'm off to go work outside- fortunately not too long today! It'll hit 100F later.
#66 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... could you put a tea bag of some earthy/grounding herbal tea in a cup of water when you start the "crazy time", then drink it when your ds is "out"? I've been doing this with my exercise time each day... I drop a RRL tea bag into my water bottle when I start and then when the dvd is done the tea is ready.

Or maybe a bowl of big chunky rock salt... after your ds is asleep rub your hands through the salt to ground the energy? Or something else you could physically rub over your hands or face? Or how about a bell, chime, singing bowl, etc? Ring it and just focus inward while you can hear the sound... the vibrations can pass through you and carry away the stress/tension... sort of "resetting" you to a calmer frequency?

~~~~~~~~~~~
It's too hot for me to do anything... I wanted to make that earth altar but there's no way... it hurts to breath, the sweat is everywhere, and I am NOT doing more than the bare minimum. I took the kiddos in to the ScienceCenter but it was so hot in town I decided to skip the shopping. So no offering beads (I'll find sometihng in my bead basket) and no earth altar building. Not unless the temp drops 30 degrees and the humidity dries up!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#67 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Finally bought an incense burner, and lit a bit tonight- also picked up some candles.

Salt rubs= I make epsom salt rubs and either add a bit of baking soda for a scrub, add it to my bath or sprinkle it about the house and then sweep it up. I haven't done this in a long time.

Kitchen blessing- made chicken drumsticks, rice with green pepper, onion and tomaters. I think it would be beneficial to add a blessing as I prep the meal and will need a visual reminder to do it. As I cut fresh herbs I give thanks.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#68 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
This is good! Post recipes, when you get them? Pretty please?
I'm thinking of trying this one.

Valérie   
#69 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

The spirits have spoken and the word is "do it now".

One of the tasks for today is "sweep the porch". Our porch is small (not much more than a covered shipping pallet). There is a wreath on the door, a windchime, some dried herbs, a solar light, a wicker basket that the chipmunks have munched through (it had a bunch of plants but only 4-5 were spared), and a big rock the girls brought home. It's evil hot but.... small porch, fast task, a box to check off, right? A sense of success despite the weather.

Well... I put the rock in the planter to cover the bare spot... then realized that this could be the perfect earth altar, offering spot! I went upstairs to find something to round out the look, opened a small box and found... the first necklace I made using the pagan beading book. I'd forgotten that it was a "druid's path" prayer bead set! OMG! And next to the prayer beads was an offering bowl I made in college. I used to offer water in it, then it held baby things (lock of hair), then it got packed away. I had no memory of what was in the box when I opened it, and the contents were beyond perfect!

Anyway, my porch is swept (took 2 minutes) and my earth altar is built too... it took maybe 10 minutes and I love it! I tucked the offering bowl and beads into spaces around the stone, between the plants, then I added a carved stone (used to hold scented oil) and a rock Tor handed me.

pics on the way!

#70 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ohh! very nice.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#71 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Anyway, my porch is swept (took 2 minutes) and my earth altar is built too... it took maybe 10 minutes and I love it! I tucked the offering bowl and beads into spaces around the stone, between the plants, then I added a carved stone (used to hold scented oil) and a rock Tor handed me.

pics on the way!
I love this! Can't wait to see pics.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I think I will try it too. I love the idea of different AM and PM ones

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#72 of 89 Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... could you put a tea bag of some earthy/grounding herbal tea in a cup of water when you start the "crazy time", then drink it when your ds is "out"? I've been doing this with my exercise time each day... I drop a RRL tea bag into my water bottle when I start and then when the dvd is done the tea is ready.

Or maybe a bowl of big chunky rock salt... after your ds is asleep rub your hands through the salt to ground the energy? Or something else you could physically rub over your hands or face? Or how about a bell, chime, singing bowl, etc? Ring it and just focus inward while you can hear the sound... the vibrations can pass through you and carry away the stress/tension... sort of "resetting" you to a calmer frequency?
Nice ideas! What is RRL tea?
Hey Clay? Why don't y'all invest in a window unit?

Quote:
Hmm, something to think about. Might try it at some point. If you do, let us know how it turns out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Post
I love this! Can't wait to see pics.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#73 of 89 Old 07-10-2010, 12:49 AM

saphire-I'm inspired to make your toothpaste recipe. Off to the store tomorrow to get a yummy eo.

I felt the "do it now" vibe and have been decluttering all day. I've been putting this off for months, and have finally made a dent in my packrat collections.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#74 of 89 Old 07-10-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Pictures of my earth altar here.

#75 of 89 Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 PM

FR~ lol that you remembered that! i'm honored! there are actually two recipes-- one is summer mulled wine, and one is summer wassail!

summer wassail is basically a mimosa with spiced apple cider rather than orange juice... adjustable to the proportions of cider and champers as you wish!

summer mulled wine is steeped on the stove like mulled wine would be... cinnamon, cloves, maybe an orange slice (and a spoonful of honey! forgot that. dh just had a glass, and i remembered). i was out of bay or i would have added a leaf of that as well, maybe a grating or so of nutmeg... i steep it for 20 min on low (using half the bottle of wine, so as to keep the... potency...) then cool, re-bottle it, and chill!

aubergine, thanks for that link! great thread!

we dont do meal blessings really, either, but we always "toast"... ds loves to "do cheers"... has ever since he was tiny. i always loved toasting. my family has tended to do it on special occasions, maybe that's why? when i was in england, we always did it in the pub... i picked up my irish friend's habit of saying "sláinte"... and it's just stuck. (and it's really quick and do-able for all meals, out or in! ;-)

val, i LOVE the idea of morning and evening toothpaste!

clay, what a beautiful altar! i love when stuff happens like that.

~~ evening things.... love these!

i do a lot with spray bottles of stuff... bless the beds before we get in them, cleanse myself/protect/etc depending on how the day went, etc...

i usually light a candle and put on my "bedtime" playlist, or turn on twinkly lights or my salt lamp... so the light is special, it marks off the time as "time to wind down"... i especially love music for that. my mom did it as a child, and i've always done it.

i keep a bowl for my ring, and imagine it being cleansed of the day (it's a nice watery blue, so it's like the ring gets bathed, lol!)

i've been drawing night time cards, or just putting away the cards for the day, so that when i wake, i have a "fresh slate" as it were....

i miss doing offerings. i plan on building a garden altar when we're in our new place, and i hope to make that part of our routine.

~~~

thank you for a wonderful week of camp, clay! i've really enjoyed it! yay for doing it now!
#76 of 89 Old 07-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
thank you for a wonderful week of camp, clay! i've really enjoyed it! yay for doing it now!

Thank you, Clay

#77 of 89 Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 PM

That was a good week. (Except that I got my whole week on Sat morning). Thank you Clay.

With DD starting on food, I was planning on more of a dinner ritual, so that was very timely.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#78 of 89 Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nighttime grounding -- well I love sitting on the porch swing in the dark, weather permitting, but it really feels too exciting and magical and not about being in my body sometimes. I can't look at the stars and be totally grounded, somehow. It's too exciting.

I've been writing about hooping in the weight loss thread -- really loving doing this every night before bed, being in my body, listening to music - and even waking up next day stiff so I'll offer that as a grounding practice

I am *so* making that toothpaste. Love spearmint eo -- used it to help with nausea when pg -- and this would be a good excuse to buy a new bottle.

Thanks for the reminder about making toasts. My kids love that, and I'll be reintroducing it as a regular thing.

Still thinking about dream images as oracle cards every morning - thanks for inspiring that practice. Makes me feel better about not remembering the entire dream, this new assumption that there is some particular message in fragments that stand out in my memory.

Love the earth altar Thanks so much for camp, Clay! Getting a little overwhelmed about to leave on vacation here so I feel I haven't done this thread justice. I'll be coming back to it though!
#79 of 89 Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 PM

Hi all! I have missed the past camps and I am glad I came back to MDC in time for this

I have been in kind of a spiritual rut the past couple years.. my hubby had been deployed for two out of 4 of the last years so I forgot myself in taking care of my children. I even went to a Christian church with a friend a month ago, only to realize that I am indeed pagan! :LOL This camp with be a great way to jump back into things, spiritually, especially with the DO IT NOW!

So, I did the tarot app on fb and it was pretty accurate!
Quote:
The Hermit - Exploration (Orthotopic)

The traditional hermit is a crusty, bearded character who has withdrawn from the company of men to live a life of seclusion and hardship. Card 9 supports this understanding. The Hermit represents the desire to turn away from the getting and spending of society to focus on the inner world. He seeks answers within and knows that they will come only with quiet and solitude. There comes a point in life when we begin to question the obvious. We sense that there is a deeper reality and begin to search for it. This is mainly a solitary quest because answers do not lie in the external world, but in ourselves. The hermit on Card 9 reminds us of Diogenes, the Greek ascetic who is said to have gone out with a lantern in hand to search for an honest man. Diogenes is a symbol of the search for truth that the Hermit hopes to uncover by stripping away all diversions.
As far as crafts, I knit daily and it puts me into a meditative state. I try to put good intentions into what I am knitting, especially if its for a friend or loved one.

Food... I love cooking and always try to stir love (or sometimes healing) into my food. I am on the hunt for new Graces to say at meals... but one we say after we light a candle at dinner is simple... "Thank you, Goddess, for this food." When dh was deployed, we added and keep Daddy safe in at the end.

One thing I have been making a lot of in this sweltering week in NY are popsicles. I brewed up some chamomile tea for calming and destressing and blended it with fruit... blueberries and peaches were our faves.

eta: I love the earth altar, clay! How lovely!

Thanks so much to the organizers, I am excited about this!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#80 of 89 Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Nearly forgot because I trimmed the girls' hair a month or so ago...

One evening ritual has been braiding good dreams or wishes into the girls' hair before bed. Some nights I'd pick the "dream" and other nights I'd ask them what they wanted... so some nights dd1 would have a "rain" braid and a "flower" braid, or a "trip to the lake" braid, or "rainbow" braids.

Then in the morning when I comb out their hair the knots were "Faerie Knots" and each one represented something the faeries wanted them to remember, or represented something they did with the faeries during the night. Sort of a way to help them get into the habit of remembering their dreams/trusting their dreams for meaning and message, while also distracting them from the not so fun brushing of hair.

This could be adopted for any age I think, and if there isn't enough hair to braid perhaps make a spritzer of water and EO to spray on the hair at night with a dream/wish attached and then again in the morning? Or use some dried herbs or something in the shower? I think I'll start braiding an itty bitty dream into my own hair, or perhaps make a beaded or woven "dream strand" to put in my hair.

Also... depending on how quick/crafty you are, you might be able to "Do It Now" and decorate a pillowcase or throw pillow with symbols. Anything from embroidery to beads to aplique to markers....

#81 of 89 Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 PM

I made prayer beads, and while I don't have any specific prayers I'd like to use for them, I think it will get me settled to finger them and thing about the gods in this way.

Come ponder with me about food!
#82 of 89 Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

PAGAN SUMMER CAMP WEEK ONE, NEARLY DONE!

I hope you've had a fun time at camp and that you're ready to carry the "DO IT NOW" energy into the next week! Hopefully we've found a few building blocks of daily practice, tricks to work spirituality and awareness into daily life that can be done right here, right now, nothing extra required. Pull up a tree stump, grab a marshmallow, pour a drink, and grab some building blocks!

Morning Reading/Morning Pages: open a book or a browser and see what the message is!

Morning Card/Evening Cards: grab your tarot deck, rune stones, or other divination tool. Pick one (or more) and see what the theme of the day may be. Then in the evening perhaps grab another card to take with you into the realm of dream. It only takes a moment but wraps your day in mindful meaning!

Making Spirit Physical: camp inspired crafts that bring spiritual oomph to things you'd do anyway. A scarf, piece of jewelry, a bookmark, a symbol drawn on your hand with a pen, a jingle bell on a string tied to your ankle, a message on your doorframe, a windchime in the yard, a wind spinner in the garden, a dvd/cd (or a real live prism) throwing rainbows at random around the room, a postcard or picture above the toilet, an affirmation written on your toothbrush with a sharpie, an offering bowl by the door (for loose change that will be donated annually, for silver beads to gift the fair folk, for table scraps to feed the compost pile while meditating on rebirth, for random pebbles and leaves and feathers the nature spirits send your way), whatever it may be... but something that brings your focus inward on a semi-regular basis, no extra effort required!

Food for Thought: you're making food and eating food anyway, so throw a little mindfullness into the mix! Stir your food with intent, thank the people who provided the food (both the person behind the counter/in the store and the person who grew/harvested/prepared the food), sing or say a blessing, take just 30 seconds to bring awareness and focus to your food! Use a bowl of treats (chocolate, fresh fruit, coffee beans, whatever your treat may be) as a reminder to give thanks, set out a cup of water to soak up the moonlight or charge it with love (write something on the outside of the glass with a sharpie or ceramic paint, or write it on a piece of paper that you wrap around the glass).... but nurture your spirit as you nurture your body and your family.

Soothing Sleep: after the excitement of a day at camp, wind down with meaning. Brush your teeth, scrub your skin, shower with power! Brush or braid your hair to bring the dreams, sip tea or toddy to soothe the soul, light a candle, play a cd, knit one row while asking for sweet sleep/knotting the stress of the day into the fabric (away from you),stretch, do whatever you normally do... but do it "on purpose". Give it an extra burst of meaning.

Just remember... it is better to do something small than to do nothing at all. Don't put things off till you can "do it right" or "do it big". Just DO IT NOW. Before you know it and without any "extra" work you'll find you're living in balance.

Happy camping! Onward into PAGAN SUMMER CAMP WEEK TWO!

#83 of 89 Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmama View Post
One thing I have been making a lot of in this sweltering week in NY are popsicles. I brewed up some chamomile tea for calming and destressing and blended it with fruit... blueberries and peaches were our faves.
Magickal popsicles, I love it!

Thank you, Clay, for an awesome week

#84 of 89 Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Thank you Clay! I loved my first week at camp!

Valérie   
#85 of 89 Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Magical popcicles sound so good!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#86 of 89 Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 AM

yay camp! Thank you, Clay!

Come ponder with me about food!
#87 of 89 Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks Clay!! looking forward to week 2
#88 of 89 Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Come on over and join us for Week 2 and let the fun continue

Week 2 - Gratitude

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#89 of 89 Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Nearly forgot because I trimmed the girls' hair a month or so ago...

One evening ritual has been braiding good dreams or wishes into the girls' hair before bed. Some nights I'd pick the "dream" and other nights I'd ask them what they wanted... so some nights dd1 would have a "rain" braid and a "flower" braid, or a "trip to the lake" braid, or "rainbow" braids.

Then in the morning when I comb out their hair the knots were "Faerie Knots" and each one represented something the faeries wanted them to remember, or represented something they did with the faeries during the night. Sort of a way to help them get into the habit of remembering their dreams/trusting their dreams for meaning and message, while also distracting them from the not so fun brushing of hair.

This could be adopted for any age I think, and if there isn't enough hair to braid perhaps make a spritzer of water and EO to spray on the hair at night with a dream/wish attached and then again in the morning? Or use some dried herbs or something in the shower? I think I'll start braiding an itty bitty dream into my own hair, or perhaps make a beaded or woven "dream strand" to put in my hair.

Also... depending on how quick/crafty you are, you might be able to "Do It Now" and decorate a pillowcase or throw pillow with symbols. Anything from embroidery to beads to aplique to markers....

I LOVE THIS!! I really need to do the braids for dd, she wakes up so much at night!! I should do something with a pillowcase for ds too. Probably get some fabric markers and just draw it.

A friend of mine is making dream catches for them.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page