Smudging ritual for new home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all,

I'm pagan-leaning but not really practicing. We're moving into a new home soon and I would love to do some kind of cleansing ritual before we do. The previous owners are getting divorced later in life and selling their family home as a result, something that happened to both DH's and my parents. So we're a little freaked out. Excited too of course, but would love to get rid of any bad energy in the house (and in ourselves).

I did a quick search on-line but didn't find anything I loved. Anyone have a good source?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#2 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm very happy to see this thread!

I just got myself three smudge sticks of yerba santa to restore some harmony in the house, but I never really done this before.

I follow my own instincts in these matters, but would love some "professional" opinion! I feel very much drawn to smudging, and hopefully when we close on our new house in two weeks (), I will definitely be going out to get more smudgesticks (sage and maybe sandalwood).

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#3 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 PM

I always smudge my new space, whether it be home or business.
I take a sage wand (I prefer white sage) and after it get's smoking (light on fire, then blow out) I walk around my house and ask that any of the previous owners energy be freed. That any negative energy be taken up to spirit in the smoke and transmuted to positive energy in the heavens.
Also, when I am in each room I suggest a positive affirmation such as in the living room I call for fun family times as well as relaxation and enjoyment with company. In the bedrooms I ask for peaceful, deep and rejuvenating sleep. Etc etc.
I love smudging. I do it regularly, not just when I move in. I smudge myself, my kids, my hubby, my dog. I always feel better after a good smudging.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#4 of 12 Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 PM

oh, i wish there was an easy way to link you to every time this has come up on the pagan thread!

if you're especially wanting to get negative energy out, there's a ritual to do with mirrors, starting at the innermost point and working out... banging pots and pans or ringing bells helps "clear out" bad energy, too...

you could sprinkle salt, then sweep it out.... or strewing herbs!

one idea someone gave me recently was to place something "you" in each room for a while, to infuse YOUR energy in the house. (like a favorite crystal) (along those lines, you could get feng shui based crystals and place them in the appropriate baguas, just to get the energy "flowing".. that would help get "bad" "out")

i love spritzing! make a special infusion and spray everywhere.....

i found cedar smudge, and i'm so excited for that, as it resonates more with me than sage.

you could always pop on the pagan thread and ask, as many of us dont always look in the forum....

congrats on your new home, and may it be joyful and harmonious!
(oh-- NAME your house! that's supposed to help, as well!)
#5 of 12 Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM

I like salt, and sage smudgeing. I usually smudge first, then salt. (liberally with sea salt).

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#6 of 12 Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I like salt, and sage smudgeing. I usually smudge first, then salt. (liberally with sea salt).
Yes to salt as well. And crystals.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#7 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 03:08 PM

I also heard keeping windows wide open and light flowing through is also good for clearing out negative space.

My mom started doing that, along with salt, to help in her place. She has since moved out (and probably should be doing all the above daily while staying with my brother. ).

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#8 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 07:07 PM

I love all these ideas!

Being a military family and moving around, we love smudging! After we smudge the house, we burn clove incense - it helps bring positive energy into the house.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#9 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Hi!
Where would I purchase smudging sticks and the sea salt? I am in a new area and not sure where to start looking. What kind of store am I looking for?

Anyone have a favorite online vendor? I could google and find a million I am sure but would like to support a business that needs or has earned it!

Thanks in advance!

:
#10 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM

most "health food" stores will have the smudge sticks... or a "metaphysical book store" would... if you want to do online, try etsy! (ok, dang, i knew that was going to be dangerous..... sigh!)

the salt-- i get mine in bulk from the health food store (whole foods, or a co-op, or whatever).

welcome to your new area! hope you're having a wonderful time getting to know it!
#11 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
most "health food" stores will have the smudge sticks... or a "metaphysical book store" would... if you want to do online, try etsy! (ok, dang, i knew that was going to be dangerous..... sigh!)

the salt-- i get mine in bulk from the health food store (whole foods, or a co-op, or whatever).

welcome to your new area! hope you're having a wonderful time getting to know it!
Oooohhh I saw a smudge stick of white sage and cedar...mmmmmm so tempting!!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#12 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM

Ah etsy OF COURSE!!! Thanks so much! LOL, I know Etsy is a dangerous place!

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page