~*~ August Pagan Familes Circle~*~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 684 Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I'm having a minor freak out... ok not so minor. We have MICE!!!
Whenever I see vermin in my home, I immediately wonder which goddess is talking to me and what she wants me to do. Anyone else do that?

Hopefully you can fix the sitch. I understand not wanting mice in your house! The sticky live traps work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
i just felt the baby kick. a real honest to goodness kick. makes me so happy!
Woooo hooooo! I'm so happy for you! I know that's a huge relief. Celebrate!

(This multi-quote feature is fun! )

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 AM

i gotta tell you all some funniness that happened here the other day. so it was during one of the rain storms. cae, sagan and i were out standing in it, getting drenched. i decided to go in the house, but for some reason thought i should strip in the door way. just as i was picking up my towel the MAILMAN drops the mail off. no big deal right? except i had the front door open because the boys were talking to me. thank the gods i had my back to the door and had yet to take off the underpants! although i think he might have gotten a partial boob shot! lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#63 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unschoolinmom View Post
Ds went to his first psych eval and the woman didn't even look at him. She spoke only to me so didn't see him running back and forth until he tripped and fell. Then asked me if that was normal. I'm thinking I just TOLD you this!

She put down potential ADHD but said it will probably change from appointment to appointment. What's that mean? She mentioned a medication that has a monster on it for adhd and agression and said it has had great progress, but wanted to see him for awhile.

I'm a little concerned that she wants to see him alone. I mean he's 5. Shouldn't I be in the room with him? I voiced this but she said it was the way they did their services. What do you mamas think about that? And about the rest of the appointment?
I think there is value to do an evaluation without a partent in the room - kids do act different around mom. BUT you should be able to observe via closed circuit camera or one-way mirror or something.

Also ignoring him while talking to you - really won't at least 50% of 5 year olds start bouncing off the walls. That seems really odd and counter-productive. At least she wants to see him for a while b4 making a diagnosis and trying meds.

DOK I can't imagine having to ditch your stuff in the middle of nowhere. That truly stings.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#64 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Actually my Lunabar task bar says the New Moon is the 8th, at 6:30am (if I'm reading it correctly). I'll probably start around...oh...mid-morning? 10ish? Anytime during the day is good, I guess. Maybe I'll get on here in the morning and say when I'm starting?
Thanks, redveg!
Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Update: My mom and my brother will be taking greyhound across country. Car can't be fixed for a reasonable amount.
My mom now has no car and no furniture/housewares. She has basically lost everything except some clothes.
How horrible. I am so sorry for your Mom. I can't imagine how she must be feeling. (((Hugs)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
been having a crazy day... dd2 has elimination problems (chronic constipation) and it had been three days since she last went. Much screaming, crying, unhappiness. And unfortunately today the Rx lax kicked in... so she eventually eliminated, then again, and again, and then again. She finally, after screaming for HOURS fell asleep and.... monster elimination. All over her, the couch, the floor. Literally 60 seconds after I nursed Tor to sleep. Had to put him down (of course he woke up, started screaming) and wake Ro to the poo-fest.
My DD had such a difficult time with #2. Poor thing I don't know why, something about the sitting while she went threw her off for the longest time. I found that mango worked like magic for her. A mango a day and she was regular? I think it had something to do with the consistency(not sure of spelling) and she would just refuse/or could not go? The fruit fixed it though.

Quote:
Roo broke a tooth. Not sure how, all he was doing was eating a cracker. The tooth was growing in very crooked and pushing against another tooth so maybe that weakened it.

It hurts him when he eats or drinks but he won't take pain med.
Will go to dentist tomorrow. I just hope that it's a baby tooth.
Poor little guy. I hope it's a baby tooth too.

Quote:
I'm having a minor freak out... ok not so minor. We have MICE!!! I saw one last night race into the pantry (here's hoping the little bastard is starving... tupperware ftw) and I walked into my bedroom in BROAD DAYLIGHT.. and I saw one/him run out of the ensuite under a dresser. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Get the sense I'm freaked out???? I'm going to have to investigate getting a cat or SOMETHING, because this is simply not acceptable. My skin is crawling And I'm worried about our pet rats being exposed to something by this nasty, feral, disease carrying vermin.
I hate the thought of killing another being, but my cat keeps my house clean. He does a great job

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

unschoolinmom, no, I wouldn't let my 5yo go to a psych appt. alone. I'd find another office to do business with if I were you. That's just me, tho! Good luck. I know how difficult it can be to get the needed help for your kid.
I agree with this

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#65 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM

DoK- has your mom turned over the car yet? An unprepped, rusted, dead junker is worth several hundred dollars as "unsorted metal scrap". If she had the mechanic remove the catalytic converters each of those are worth anywhere from 40-100 dollars (depending on type, and again, just dead and yanked out of the car). And they should do this for her pro bono for smashing the car. This is why charities ask for dead cars... broken down into it's pieces/power washed a sedan sized vehicle would be worth around 500 or so, usable parts would increase that value, and just dead as they sit they're still worth a few hundred. MAKE SURE the scrap yard doesn't just "take it off her hands".

If she hasn't signed with the store owner, have her ask for the numbers of auction houses and other shops. Even without an actual bidding war, if the store owner knows it's not a "sure thing" then they might offer more.

I'm so sorry... I wish we lived closer! Check with st vincent du paul, salvation army, catholic charities, and your local UU group. And if there is a Senior Service center they might have aid available too. Does she have food allergies? Could you get food from a pantry for her?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#66 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 09:19 AM

at being cleaned out! Yes... I'm pretty sure she's had a power cleanse!

Of course the cat added a few fur balls, Tor went through dipes too, and, well, there's a sheet over our couch while the cover is being washed.

Cari- mice... we get mice every few months. If you see one, you've got dozens! The tomcat style traps work well (they look like big bag clips?)... they snap the mouse so it's quick, they have a handle of sorts to carry it out, and they reset easily.

Tooth- ouch! I hope it's a baby tooth too! Maybe it'll open the way for less crowding?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#67 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Ds woke up with a cold sore (or something that looks like it) on his lip...Right in front of the chipped tooth. I'm beginning to think the tooth is fine and it was the lip that is actually sore.

He can't tell the difference, unfortunately. I really don't want to drive into Boston to the dentist today. For one thing, I don't have the money for the parking garage!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#68 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
[B]DoK- has your mom turned over the car yet? Check with st vincent du paul, salvation army, catholic charities, and your local UU group. And if there is a Senior Service center they might have aid available too. Does she have food allergies? Could you get food from a pantry for her?
The car has been turned over. They are already on the greyhound bus to come back.

I've recently checked with local charities for myself. No free stuff is available. I'll have her check with the local Senior Service once she gets into town.
She has food restrictions (diabetic with high blood pressure.) She can't use the food pantry for their food but my local one also gives out a $20 gift cert for the local grocery store. So, I'll make sure she does that. But that is only allowed once a month.
Most of the time, she'll be staying with my brother in RI so she won't have to worry about food. (until she gets her own apartment through elderly housing.)

#69 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM

momofthree-YAY!!!!

dok-I hope everything's okay with Roo and it's not his tooth.

The pyridium isn't working just yet. They gave me six pills to take three times a day. So I have them for two days? I'm still in constant pain and using a Tylenol combo for the pain.

As for ds being alone, there's no monitoring that I can do. They tell the parents to stay down in the waiting room, while they take the kids upstairs. All you can do is watch whatever kid's cartoon is on or read a magazine until the hour is up and hope that all is well.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#70 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Just saying Hi!

It's really humid here and my fingers/shoulders/neck hurt. Time for my magical Rosemary/Juniper oil.

Mice... DH put a poison that turn them into dust... don't know the name. And we have a trap in the cold room... just in case.

Love, Light and Relief for everyone!

Valérie   
#71 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Hey all! I'm back from vacation- we had a great time. Lots of swimming in the lake and hiking. Came back home to some serious heat- like 103F. And my internet is really sporadic. One minute I can get online, off the next. ( I'm working on getting that taken care of.)
August goes by so fast with more bdays, and trips. We'll be going to the coast at the end of the month.
DoK- I hope your mom and brother make it back safely, then things can get better.
Cari- Good luck getting rid of the mice! Know anybody with a cat you can borrow?
Clay- Poor Ro, I hope she's feeling better. And, on the bright side, you'll have a clean couch, right?
Unschoolin- Hang in there! I hope your uti is gone and ds's appt goes well
Maia- I've had good success with selling homes using energy like- the next person through the house is going to be the person who loves the house and has to have it. I'll light a candle for you too.
redveg- any word yet on the lump? Good thoughts for you and dd!
mamaofthree- Yay! for feeling the baby kick
Val- I hope your magical oil helps out. Did you make it? I love making herbal meds! My comfrey salve is awesome.
#72 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
Val- I hope your magical oil helps out. Did you make it? I love making herbal meds! My comfrey salve is awesome.
A friend makes it. Along with marvelous natural soaps, skin and home care products.

Valérie   
#73 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM

ohmygoodness, it's been quite the month already, hasnt it?

there was so much i wanted to reply to but i havent it in me to multi-quote.... moons (sitting in the garden watching her now... yes, you have i think three days, maia, for "new"), selling houses, anniversaries and amorous moments (and happy anniversary!), Good Mommas (did i miss an update? did it go ok?), sick and healing mommas and ailing grandmas (who sounds amazing~ love the avalon bit!)... baking bread in summer (yeah, right), picking and canning peaches!!! (that had been our plan for the weekend, too! til house troubles reared up, lol), babes and poop, cars breaking down and all things being lost, babes moving and frightening dreams, dds health woes, adult dds causing stress.... hugs and kisses and vibes and all to you all!

& thank you all so much for your hugs and vibes and hopeful thoughts! we're pluggin' thru... i know we'll come out stronger on the other side.

so, small funny you'll love... our new place is across from a church. i didnt really think much about it (so happy to have a home!), til sunday am i was there, windows open, in grubbies, up to elbows in grime, music (softly) blasting (renaissance music, so it's not like it was metal or something), incense smoking... and i realize i'm basically on display to folks as they come out of church... there was one moment especially... i get sort of trancelike anyway while i'm cleaning that intently and intensely... i was wiping the front window inside, looking out to the church, i had my hand on the window--a totally zenned out expression on my face, i'm sure--wiping the window with my other hand... i saw someone stop sort of joltingly and stare at me..... is it possible i've already pegged myself as "one of those people"?

on another note, anyone else having any "fall" like moments yet? i was surprised how it's hit me. i dont typically get that "turning inward" feeling you all talk about-- at least not here in sunny az, where i usually feel "opening" up as it cools.... but it's felt cooler and even fall-like, and i'm experiencing it totally differently than i used to. it was one thing i'd looked forward to, living somewhere with "seasons"... being more "in tune" with seasons like you are... but when that fell thru, i'd given up on it.... could it be i'm having it now anyway? isnt that weird? how'd that happen? i grew up here, and lived here for, what like 4 years before we left for less than 6 months, and it's been, being back, in a lot of ways, like coming somewhere totally different....
#74 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Oh my, I have to see if I can find the time to read nearly 4 pages to get caught up. But at least I rememberd it was August on day 3 instead of a week in like I usually do.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#75 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

on another note, anyone else having any "fall" like moments yet?
Yes, the other day we were collecting acorn caps. I was surprised that they were falling already.

#76 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Post
Maia-I'll light a candle on the new moon.
Thank you!

Quote:
Roo broke a tooth.
Oh, man, mama. I hope it's a baby tooth, too. Is it broken completely, or just chipped? I've actually filed my own teeth that have chipped, using a metal nail file. Ew, but it works, and is free.

Quote:
maia: that looks interesting. i read some place (while googling earlier) that st joseph is the saint of carpentry and real estate, and he is good to have come to a house selling. i guess you could even bury a statue of him at your house. i was thinking of putting a candle with a picture of him on my altar. i like the ritual thing on that link you sent. i will see what i can come up with. thanks
St. Joseph is indeed the patron saint of carpentry, and of families and homes. And real estate. I was like, who's St. Joseph? Um, he's Jesus' father Silly me.
You can go to www.discountcatholicproducts.com and get a really cheap statue. I got a tiny one, like 4" tall, with a card, and I buried him upside down in the yard by the "for sale" sign. It was like $4.

Like everything, I think it's all about intent, and I do include him in my prayers/invocations for the day.
My brother has had one in his yard for awhile. His house has had like 30 showings and no bites. But I know him-- he probably just plopped the statue in the yard and forgot about it, expecting St.Joseph to do all the work alone. I'm surprised he even got one!

Quote:
We have MICE!!!

Any suggestions on non violent ways to get rid of him/them???
Nope, not really. And like Clay said, mice do NOT come by the each. If you have one, you possibly have thousands. Sorry to bear bad news!
When ds was little, I knew we had them, but when I saw one run across the back of the stove in broad daylight, AND I had a cat, I knew it was time do get drastic.
I bought the poison and yes, I know they hemorrhage alive, but by that time it was about I had a little baby, and his life trumped theirs.

Quote:
YAY! That's so awesome! Isn't that fun? I loved when ds kicked me. He did it all night long, but rather than keeping me awake, it comforted me.

Quote:
no, I wouldn't let my 5yo go to a psych appt. alone. I'd find another office to do business with if I were you. That's just me, tho! Good luck. I know how difficult it can be to get the needed help for your kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I think there is value to do an evaluation without a partent in the room - kids do act different around mom. BUT you should be able to observe via closed circuit camera or one-way mirror or something.

Also ignoring him while talking to you - really won't at least 50% of 5 year olds start bouncing off the walls. That seems really odd and counter-productive. At least she wants to see him for a while b4 making a diagnosis and trying meds.
I can't remember if ds went to any evals without me. I am pretty sure there were a few, where I watched behind a 2-way mirror. I agree with Liza. Kids do act differently without parents around. See what they say if you say you want to wait just outside the door, and not downstairs in the lobby, maybe?

Also, a thought-- maybe she wasn't ignoring him, per se, just seeing out of the corner of her eye how he acted when not directly being paid attention to? DS's counselor does that sometimes, pointedly ignores him and talks to me. Sometimes it's because she wants to talk to me, and believes very strongly in not being interrupted, and sometimes it's to see how he acts when being ignored. She will correct him in a heartbeat if he interrupts in a rude manner, either by behavior or words. I don't have a problem with this.

Quote:
If you see one, you've got dozens!

What Clay said.

Quote:
Ds woke up with a cold sore (or something that looks like it) on his lip...

I really don't want to drive into Boston to the dentist today. For one thing, I don't have the money for the parking garage!
Don't kiss his lips, just in case it is a cold sore! They're so, so contagious. I'm sure you know to make sure he keeps his hands clean.

Can you take the train? M told me how much those parking garages are-- OUCH. They're a LOT!

Quote:
Maia- I've had good success with selling homes using energy like- the next person through the house is going to be the person who loves the house and has to have it. I'll light a candle for you too.
Well hey there saphire! Welcome back! Glad you had a good vacay.

I'd love the next person to be The One-- but we haven't had any showings, yet. Maybe the first one will be the last one. I hope!
Thanks, on the candle!

Quote:
yes, you have i think three days, maia, for "new")
Good ~whew~! I thought so! Monday the 9th it is, then. I want to be alone in the house. DS can be very distracting!

Quote:
Yep, I've just started having them. YAY!

OK, here is a tea y'all need to try: http://www.shopcrownhouse.com/Bigelo...rcbig00190.htm
Iced, I think it's just what Hogwarts Pumpkin Juice might taste like!

I had some the other day, and yep-- shades of Autumn, for sure.

M called me briefly on his lunch break

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#77 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
Can you take the train?
No, Roo is terrified of them.

#78 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Good Morning
Just a quick drive by. I'm off in a few to take kids to the zoo and the park.
It should be lots of fun. Both kids love Wildlife Bio so much and always think up such good questions that...um...i usually can't answer, so we have to find someone to ask or look it up.

Hope the day brings peace and good energy to all...Fall...hmmm...

Quote:
i gotta tell you all some funniness that happened here the other day. so it was during one of the rain storms. cae, sagan and i were out standing in it, getting drenched. i decided to go in the house, but for some reason thought i should strip in the door way. just as i was picking up my towel the MAILMAN drops the mail off. no big deal right? except i had the front door open because the boys were talking to me. thank the gods i had my back to the door and had yet to take off the underpants! although i think he might have gotten a partial boob shot! lol

h

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#79 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM

one random note about the mouse poison... only use it if you're SURE the mice live elsewhere. The idea is the mouse eats it, gets thirsty as the poison works (this is the bleed/clot/dust thing), and wanders out of your house seeking water. However, many mice think of youre house as "their house" and they're getting their water from condensation behind the toilet, or drips left in the shower pan (or below it, if there is a leak at the drain), or from uninsulated water pipes in a basement or crawl space. If you dCon a mouse that is used to getting it's water from your home, or which has a nest in your attic/crawl space/wall/garage/etc.... that is where they will go to die.

My parents used dCon for decades and there were always decaying mice tucked into hard to reach corners of the hosue/barn. Ick!

Anyway, dCon can work great but... a snap trap is more humane and doesn't leave you with that special "hint of cadaverine" that is the primary note in "eau de old house".

#80 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM

DoK: why can't your mom get food from the food pantry? being diabetic and having HTN shouldn't cause her not to be able to. i bet should could let them know about her conditions and they would set up a bag/box for her. also there is that (what was it clay) angel boxes that are in expensive and i bet she could find a box that would suit her needs.

maia: here in AZ they are big on those catholic candles you light in church or home. usually have a saint or mary or Jesus on them. some are even blank and they are in different colors. i could get one in a color i like and put a picture of st joe on it during the ritual.

one thing i dislike more then anything talking to dh about is money. it doesn't matter how good the out look is, he is so nihilistic about it. his energy is so crappy, i feel like he screws it up for us with his bad thoughts all the time. like i have to work extra hard on it being ok, to counter balance his poop! grrr.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#81 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
If you dCon a mouse that is used to getting it's water from your home, or which has a nest in your attic/crawl space/wall/garage/etc.... that is where they will go to die.

My parents used dCon for decades and there were always decaying mice tucked into hard to reach corners of the hosue/barn. Ick!

Anyway, dCon can work great but... a snap trap is more humane and doesn't leave you with that special "hint of cadaverine" that is the primary note in "eau de old house".
This is true. However, the smell doesn't last that long. It's gross, but it does the trick, and it gets most all of them.
Snap-traps, yes, I agree, but yick. Emptying dead mice takes its toll after awhile.

Quote:
maia: here in AZ they are big on those catholic candles you light in church or home. usually have a saint or mary or Jesus on them. some are even blank and they are in different colors. i could get one in a color i like and put a picture of st joe on it during the ritual.
I have taken a liking to those, too. I found a couple at the poor store for 99c each.

Quote:
his energy is so crappy, i feel like he screws it up for us with his bad thoughts all the time. like i have to work extra hard on it being ok, to counter balance his poop! grrr.
Yep, Grrrable offense, IMO

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#82 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Dh only does the money thing with me. If I go shopping (he knows it's usually for house and kids and pets stuff) he'll ask me how much I spent. But used to tell me never to ask how much he spent when he bought his $400 worth of comic books. I finally threatened to use said comic books as toilet paper if he kept ticking me off. He's good now.

Maia-I'll ask her at the next visit. She wants to meet dd, because of her thing as children such as dd are interesting? I do like her response to the homeschooling, even when I told her we mostly unschool, and all my other "hippy" things I do.

I'm going to start holiday shopping because I want fall and winter to get here. Fall because...I like colorful leaves and winter because the little one comes!

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#83 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 PM

aweynsayl: are you in Arizona?

as for the mice: eeek! lol there are those humane traps, but then you have to let the mice go some place and they could just move back in. hey, you could get a snake or two. lol

h

#84 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Mornin', all! (Well...it's morning here in CA.)

I'm having a great start to a great day. It's supposed to get up to 69 degrees today, so that's nice. It's been a pretty cold summer. Maybe I feel fall-ish, already, but that is probably due to the fact that summer seems to have passed us by.

My lips are peeling today. Just thought y'all needed to know that.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#85 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
DoK: why can't your mom get food from the food pantry? being diabetic and having HTN shouldn't cause her not to be able to.
I use the local food pantry so I know what they have. Canned goods are extremely high in sodium. And she can't eat pasta very often because the carbs turn into sugar and her numbers spike. (yeah, our local pantry is pretty pathetic. They don't have much.)

#86 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 05:29 PM

An interesting look at the week/month... goes well with Tracy's thoughts and, well, it's shorter!

mice- oh yeah...snapped mice can be ugh. One last factoid though courtesy of the vet school. The "have a heart" style catch/release traps? It's true. If you take them far enough away to prevent them returning, they're too far away to live long... unless you drop them next to a dumpster or something. And in some regions the catch/release traps are illegal anyway! You can make a trap though with a coffee can... a little peanut butter in the bottom and a slit in the plastic lid. Make sure it's just a slit though and that the lid is on tight!

Garb- I am still sewing like crazy as I can. The kids are basically done! They just need cloaks and embroidery on their garb. Now I need 5 tunics for DH, 5 undergowns for me, and 5 "apron dresses" for me. The food is on the way from amazon, the kitchen box and the tent stuff box packed. So just the final clothing, the toothbrushes/paste, the bedding, air mattresses, tent, pack/play. Oh, and shovel, camp stove, tarps, sheet wall, and....

Sigh.

Ok, not as ready as I could be. But getting there! I'm so stoked!

#87 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
redveg- any word yet on the lump? Good thoughts for you and dd!
Yes, they didn't find anything?? I think it is some kind of cyst, maybe from drinking too much soda(caffeine)? Thanks for thinking of us

Quote:
so, small funny you'll love... our new place is across from a church. i didnt really think much about it (so happy to have a home!), til sunday am i was there, windows open, in grubbies, up to elbows in grime, music (softly) blasting (renaissance music, so it's not like it was metal or something), incense smoking... and i realize i'm basically on display to folks as they come out of church... there was one moment especially... i get sort of trancelike anyway while i'm cleaning that intently and intensely... i was wiping the front window inside, looking out to the church, i had my hand on the window--a totally zenned out expression on my face, i'm sure--wiping the window with my other hand... i saw someone stop sort of joltingly and stare at me..... is it possible i've already pegged myself as "one of those people"?

I bet you will get some visitors from the church soon Yes on the Fall moments. I feel myself getting that cozy/want to cook all my comfort foods type of mood. Fall is my favorite.

Quote:
I always have plenty of candles around, but these Saint Candles are my favorite, not just for magickThey are great when the power goes out, I used them all the time when I lived in Florida.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#88 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
sick and healing mommas and ailing grandmas (who sounds amazing~ love the avalon bit!)...
Well, she was indeed amazing. She passed away yesterday T'will take a long time to process this but overwhelmingly I just feel so grateful that I had her in my life. I could (and probably will) write a history of our relationship just through a list of all the books and poetry we have shared with each other over the years. A lot of those works were of a spiritual nature....I wish I just had some time to myself right now so I could snug up and reread (including Mists of Avalon!) and think of her. I know her spirit will always be with me. She was truly magic.

(Clay, I don't think I offered my condolences on the family friend who passed away recently. She sounded like a really cool lady and she obviously thought a lot of you and your family.)

My mom isn't doing well -- she is convinced, I think mostly thanks to a `helpful' family member , that she isn't allowed to seek support or tell anyone that her mom has passed. She just generally seems very confused on the phone. There were some big red flags for me in our conversation a couple hours back. I can't be there right now for $$ reasons, we can't bring her up to visit because she's just out of hospital and still under medical care, and I feel kinda helpless. Got someone from the social work office to check on her at her home, will call her again tonight. The staff there and her doctors think the world of my mom and I feel so lucky to have their support. Still feels like it would be so much better/easier for her if I could be there, though.

Quote:
Yes, the other day we were collecting acorn caps. I was surprised that they were falling already.
I don't think I am going to get any acorns this year. Too wet and a little too cool - this tree is meant to be growing in a warmer zone.

DoK, I am so sorry for what your mom is going through. Hope it will be better for you all when she is close by, even with the rough patch getting her re-established.

Quote:
one thing i dislike more then anything talking to dh about is money. it doesn't matter how good the out look is, he is so nihilistic about it. his energy is so crappy, i feel like he screws it up for us with his bad thoughts all the time. like i have to work extra hard on it being ok, to counter balance his poop! grrr.

h
My dh does that, too. He has the kids, who cannot do anything to help, worried about how broke we are, and he downloaded some of that on me, too, last night before bed -- between that and my family stuff, I didn't get much sleep. I am applying for a bunch of subsidies this week and canceling some expenses. Hope that helps his mood.

I have been feeling like I need to bust out of some very stressful patterns. Year after year, every June I am so overscheduled and stressed, every summer it seems dh gets sick (not yet, so far this year), every summer money worries overwhelm (hey - probably related to dh getting sick, I think), and every December I am again overscheduled and stressed with holiday obligations.

No more of this nonsense! I am going to make some changes and FIX all this

Quote:

My lips are peeling today. Just thought y'all needed to know that.
Ouch! got a good ointment for that - maybe a little coconut oil? Drinking lots of water?

Eeek, Cari!!! I once moved out of a rental because I couldn't handle the mice. I say, hit the problem with everything you can throw at it.

Love to all, got a wakeful babe to cuddle!
#89 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 PM

We always have mice in the fall (rural area, it gets cold, they come inside).

Kitty takes care of the problem quite effectively
#90 of 684 Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mom called -- the social worker and her doctor both talked to her about how normal grieving is, that she should seek support when she needs it, about diet and taking care of herself, and I think they've convinced her that some of the stuff she was worried about was not real. Reality check apparently has been accomplished ETA - to be clear, for anyone who doesn't know, my mom has a lifelong mental illness and is on disability for it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page