Orthodox Christian Mamas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 127 Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

instead of a blessingway or shower, why not just host a totally awesome baptism or make a a big deal of the churching?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#122 of 127 Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

lilyka,  that's a great suggestion---what have you seen done along those lines? i'd love to hear some examples...

i really love the idea of a church-related celebration, just not sure how that would work in our context.

our parish is very small (about 10 adults) and only one of my siblings is Orthodox, so we wouldn't have family persay at the baptism or churching and my non-O friends may or may not come (many would be uncomfortable).

we have our LO's baptised at 6 weeks, and had a reception at our home after the baptism for DS and it was pretty exhausting. not sure if i'll be up to it but i'll definitely give it some thought. i love the idea of it, though. :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#123 of 127 Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you do not have a big church family to celebrate the baptism (generally I have seen the big celebrations after the actual event, not so much the churching but that is the sort of thing that would inspire me to host a simple coffee hour )  I would recommend doing a party afterwards to celebrate it.  Since you don't feel up to a party right then, maybe wait a few weeks to host a celebration (at our parish the tradition is that the newly baptized receives communion for three weeks wearing their baptismal clothes and holding their candle.  Perhaps after the last Sunday)  A huge upside to this is that you can have pictures or a slide show from the baptism.   (pictures of a baptism is how I started on my path to the Orthodox church...).   You can keep it simple.  Perhaps even just gathering for dinner at a nice restaurant.  My friends do this and everyone just pays for their own meals and they provide cake.  You could phrase it as "we are meeting at xyz after church to celebrate baby's baptism.  we would love it if you could join us."  And then have a cake and some balloons and perhaps a photo album of the baptism.  It does not need to be elaborate to be meaningful.  You could tie in some special little things as well  maybe ask people to write a letter to the baby that you assemble in a special memory)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#124 of 127 Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM

hi mamas! just wanted to check in and say "hi".

Little DS2 is here with us and we had the baptism and a small reception in our home.

Boy it was alot of prep and work for this sleep-deprived mama! :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#125 of 127 Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 AM

#126 of 127 Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Hi Mamas! I'm bumping up our thread in hopes of having a little more action on this thread. I haven't been very active myself on MDC recently. Life with 3 little ones now is crazy.smile.gif So, for now---
Christ is Born!
I hope that you all had a wonderful Holy Week and Pascha.

#127 of 127 Old 04-24-2014, 05:31 PM

Hi mamas!

Well, almost a year has passed and no talk on this thread. Let's bring it to life again!

Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen!

I hope that you all had a wonderful Lent and Pascha.

We are sort of dragging through Bright Week, still putting things away and doing washing, etc. from Holy Week and trying to get back into the school groove--s-l-o-w-l-y. :)

How are you all doing?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page