Looking Back, Looking ahead... Elul Jewish Mama's thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed we didn't have an elul thread.

How are you doing ladies?

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Where has the time gone?

I have been trying to find a shul/congregation for our family to join. (I want to make more Jewish connections here in town. I want somewhere to attend services regularly, and somewhere for my kids to start learning Hebrew and attending religious school). Neither my dh or I have ever attended services regularly, or been active members of a synagogue, so this has been really difficult for me to figure out. I wanted to get this all squared away before the school year started, but so far I've mostly done lots of browsing of websites. We've attended the family services at one congregation, and enjoyed it, but those are only once a month. Some synagogues don't seem to have family programming at all, some only have it during the school year. What am I supposed to do with my kids the rest of the time?

Am I going about this the wrong way? If so, how on earth do I choose a synagogue. It was easy the last place we lived. There was a total of one so there wasn't really a choice.

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#3 of 13 Old 08-13-2010, 02:20 PM

The best way to choose a synagogue is to actually go there for shabbat.

Many wonderful shuls have lousy websites that do not reflect the warmth and atmosphere that are there IRL.

So give yourselves the next few weekends to try different congregations out. And don't worry, you're not married to your decision, you can continue to try out new ones through the year.

And yes, in many communities it can be very quiet in August, as many people go away, traveling, etc. Since R"H is right after labor day, that doesn't give you a great opportunity to choose where to be for high-holidays services, so its best to call or email the contacts and find out what children's programming they have, how welcoming they are to new families,etc.
#4 of 13 Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM

Just bumping up.

Dash's mom, you're not a thread-killer, don't worry!
#5 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 PM

That's good to know Chavi!

So, I'm still wondering what you mama's do with your kids during Shabbat? Does your whole family go to shul together and stay together during the services? Does your family go to shul together but the kids go to children's programming or childcare for some or all of the service? Do some of your kids go to shul with one parent while the other stays home with younger kids? How does your family/shul work it out?

#6 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Dash's Mama, I think it depends on the shul.

Some shuls are large, have established children's programs, and expect to see the kids there, not in services.

Some are less large, and don't have a formal program, and the kids hang around in and out of the sanctuary.

And some (usually in older, more formal communties) frown on anyone bringing children/babies to shul (hard to believe!).

The trick is finding a community that suits your needs.
#7 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Yay! The Jewish Mama's Threads are going to be moving back to FYT!

Thank you Mods!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0#post15765700

(The new thread in FYT).
#8 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
That's good to know Chavi!

So, I'm still wondering what you mama's do with your kids during Shabbat? Does your whole family go to shul together and stay together during the services? Does your family go to shul together but the kids go to children's programming or childcare for some or all of the service? Do some of your kids go to shul with one parent while the other stays home with younger kids? How does your family/shul work it out?
DH and I are actually the youth director's at our shul, so DH davens at an early minyan and then we both work during the regular minyan.
Most families with kids your children's ages leave them at groups in our shul. Women or men with younger kids will often hang out in one of the playrooms. Sometimes the husbands go to the early minyan so they can watch the kids while their wives daven.
In the community where I grew up women would often just come for kiddush or not at all because they were at home with the kids. Some shuls feel strongly about not having kids make noise and others don't care.

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#9 of 13 Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 AM

Thanks so much for responding, shnitzel. I didn't think anyone would respond here once we moved the group over to FYT.

#10 of 13 Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
Thanks so much for responding, shnitzel. I didn't think anyone would respond here once we moved the group over to FYT.
what is FYT?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#11 of 13 Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Finding Your Tribe.

How's it going, HP?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#12 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Finding Your Tribe.

How's it going, HP?
haha of course! I knew it sounded vaguely familiar.

Thanks for asking! I'm doing good. I haven't been around here much lately for some reason... life has been very full lately! truth be told I study a lot and I'm trying to learn Hebrew so I can understand what I am studying better! Hebrew isn't a peice of cake to learn, my word. or maybe I'm just old... heh I also took some breslev advise and am trying to pray for a minimum of 30 mins a day... and before you know it the day is just over! but it has changed my life for the better. makes me realized how little time I spent praying before... that's sad actually.

but enough about me... how are you???

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#13 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Hey, Laura! (Surprised to find you on here, and I miss you!)

Things are ok here. Just really super busy. I never really feel myself in September. The holidays aren't something I can really get into. Too busy, too much pressing stuff that has to be done YESTERDAY.

Anyways, l'shana tova to all of you! May you have a sweet and happy 5771.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page