How do you know what God wants you to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those mamas who believe in a God who provides guidance for our everyday lives, how do you know what God wants you to do? I am coming from a Christian perspective, but am interested in other perspectives as well. Sometimes it is easy to know what decisions are in accord with Jesus' teaching and therefore what God would want me to do, but many times it is not so clear. I am trying to practice listening for God's guidance and trying to figure out how to recognize it.
#2 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 PM

I pray for guidance and listen carefully to my intuition, or that "small, still voice" that I know to be God's. Sometimes I get conflicting ideas and am not sure whether it's just wishful thinking or truly divine, so I pray more and eventually come to the correct decision. With major decisions or doubts, I give it time. Sometimes it takes me many nights of heartfelt prayer to know what God wants for me, but eventually it does become clear.

It took me a long time to really hear God's voice amid all the chatter and white noise of my thoughts and day to day life, and I'm not always successful the first time. But it gets easier as time goes on and whenever I'm in doubt, I pray for further understanding.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#3 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 PM

I don't think God plans out every little thing I should do. In many cases, I think we are given the freedom to choose between many "good" options. Should I study medicine, or marry and raise a family - both are good things. While I may get a special calling, I think in many cases I am allowed to choose. As a result, I don't necessarily feel I need to hear something from God on every choice I face; I might ask for input, but I don't worry if I don't get any.

But of course there are times when I want input, that I don't think all the options are good, or especially when none of them are good.

Prayer is an obvious answer. In most cases, we probably don't have a voice in our ear saying "Get thee to Vermont, and give up the high paying job and the rat race" (for example). But if we practice prayer diligently, I think one thing it does is it quiets our mind - the endless stream of passions, stray thoughts, and general confusion. And it has this effect even when we are not actually praying. It can be much easier to really sort through problems when we don't have all these voices and ideas confusing the issue.

The next thing would be to consider religious teachings that we subscribe to - for Christians that would mean Scripture, the writings of holy and wise people, and the traditions of the church. And it would also mean asking advise from one's priest, minister, or spiritual advisor. Failing that a mentor, elder, or wise friend who would not be afraid to be blunt if required.

And I think in many cases we just need to go on in a place of trust, living our daily lives according to the teachings of the church. Since there have been Christians for 2000 years, a lot of the day to day has really been worked out. We won't have all the answers all the time, but that is what faith is - trust in God to help us come ever closer to him.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#4 of 8 Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 AM

I think most everything falls under Biblical principals, even if it's not specific to each individual situation.

So I start with the Bible to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

In most situations, I don't need to go farther than that--what I need is there.

But in more difficult situations, we pray. We ask God to make it clear the direction he wants us to go.

And we seek counsel from people we know who are wise and Biblically minded, so that they can point out to us Biblical options we may have missed.
#5 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I don't think God plans out every little thing I should do. In many cases, I think we are given the freedom to choose between many "good" options. Should I study medicine, or marry and raise a family - both are good things. While I may get a special calling, I think in many cases I am allowed to choose. As a result, I don't necessarily feel I need to hear something from God on every choice I face; I might ask for input, but I don't worry if I don't get any.
This is helpful. Sometimes I find I get caught up in thinking there is one "right" choice and I have to figure out what it is, which makes me very anxious, when, in many situations, there are usually a number of "good" or "right" choices.
#6 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
I think most everything falls under Biblical principals, even if it's not specific to each individual situation.

So I start with the Bible to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

In most situations, I don't need to go farther than that--what I need is there.
Can you elaborate on this? Maybe give an example? I am trying to do this more, but sometimes I have a hard time figuring out where to look or finding something that seems relevant. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the Bible yet. I think your suggestion of asking other Biblically-minded people who may be able to point out things you might miss is a good one. Thanks!
#7 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
All Jesus really wants from us is to believe in Him. Spend time with Him. Most other things will fall into place.

Spending time with Him can be as simple as sitting and reading one verse. Than thinking about it for the day. Or taking something that your thinking about then looking at it through "God's Eyes"

An example for me is----How BIG God is and how little we are. Sometimes I start to think about all the things that are going on around me. Then I stop and say Jesus is BIGGER then this.

Also you can talk to Him at anytime. day/night. Just tell Him what is on your mind. I thing that is great is that He is real and alive for you to have a great relationship with.

Can I say just one more thing? I think that if you do something and it is not what the Lord wanted yu to do he will tell you. If you are open to hear. You are free to do what you want. We are called not to sin. beyond that things are really open.

I know when that Lord wants me to do things. I know that He want me to go to college. So he made a clear way. I know that he wanted me to go on the missioin trip and a few other things. Yes, the more that you walk with Him the more you may feel Him showing you things to do, butr like I said you are really free to enjoy life. Do what will make you happy.

A very good teacher is Wayne Monbleau. www.lovinggrace.org

Hope that helps. And make sence I sure be sleeping it has been a long day.
#8 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 PM

To me, it's that other voice that speaks to me without fear, selfishness, confusion, anxiety...it's in the stillness. I also see it in synchronicities after I listen to said voice. It seems like everything lines up perfectly as if backed by divine intervention!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page