cleansing my own home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I do it myself or do I need to invite an expert, because most likely I will probably do it wrong.

I am stressed, weird things keep happening in the house and I'm always feeling down and husband and I keep fighting. I feel I need to cleanse my house and don't know where to start. Should I cleanse it myself? I'm stressed so I'm worried I'll just be bringing in more negative energy. Advice would be highly appreciated.

I heard about sage and that is always used for cleansing the house. Do I need to ask permission before I cleanse so I don't upset any spirits? The house has a history. The former family that lived in the house, well the wife was verbally and physically abused by the husband. He would drag her by the hair and pull her around the house by her hair. That's really sad to know and so I want to invite positive energy into the house.
#2 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

you can do it yourself, without asking permission from anyone.

go to the library and look up a book on the subject. we have one called Creating Sacred Spacce with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston, and it has a lot about cleansing spaces in there that is very easy to do.

A friend of ours is leading a space cleansing on Oct 23 (of our business), and then a chanting and reintroduction to the space on Oct 24. it's nice to have the help.
#3 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM

You can do it, and I kind of think you should do it, because it is your space. And depending on your spirituality, they way you would do it varies.

I did not clean my own house, but before the birth of DS1 and just a few days ago in prep for DS2, I annointed my house with ritual oils (Peace and Bastet's Laughter from Twilight Alchemy Lab). I think about the intent of the oils, and then I dabbed a bit at each corner of every window and door. Don't know why really, it just felt right to me. Draw good things to the house, ward off the bad.

Just think about what actions would have meaning to you, then focus and do it.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#4 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Def do it yourself!
I would
-Do a thorugh cleaning of the house getting rid of anything that could bring you or your family negative feelings.
-Walk through the house with sage getting each nook and cranny and also smudge around each of your fam members.
-While walking throughout house say a blessing and ask for exactly what you want ie; bad spirits away,neg energy away, cleansing of home, etc.
-Open all of your windows and let the bad energy out and new in.

You should feel a tremendous difference after that!
Many blessings to you and your family.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#5 of 10 Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't like the smell of burning sage and am allergic to most commercial incenses. Cooking smells are ok, and some essential oils.

I like to sweep out the house symbolically -- sweeping every corner of every room and visualizing negative energy being swept outside to dissipate on the cleansing wind. I, also, pretend to sweep negativity off of my family members. (It makes them giggle.)

Then I like filling the house with light and a clean smell (whatever that means to you -- some lavender or citrus essential oil in water used to clean surfaces does it for me) and visualizing the safe, happy home I want for my family and saying a prayer or ritual asking that it be manifested.

ETA I do this on the new moon usually, once every couple of months or once a season, whenever I feel the need. Always in the fall, for some reason.
#6 of 10 Old 08-18-2010, 12:48 PM

i think there's lots of good advice here. one other thing that someone told me once was that, after cleansing, when you're inviting good energy into the house, she suggested to sing, drum, dance, or whatever - not just to invite good energy from outside but to also put my energy into each room of the house. i really liked that idea.

i also like using bells in places that don't have a good flow of energy to them. a bell on the door knob, or a string of tiny brass bells somewhere near the doorway that can be jingled as you walk in.
#7 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i think there's lots of good advice here. one other thing that someone told me once was that, after cleansing, when you're inviting good energy into the house, she suggested to sing, drum, dance, or whatever - not just to invite good energy from outside but to also put my energy into each room of the house. i really liked that idea.

i also like using bells in places that don't have a good flow of energy to them. a bell on the door knob, or a string of tiny brass bells somewhere near the doorway that can be jingled as you walk in.
Really like these ideas!
#8 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Banned

the book that i mentioned goes into more detail, but she recommends:

1. first feel the energy of the house as is;
2. second set up an altar and make an offering (altar is a cloth, a leaf, a plate over the leaf, flowers on the edge of the plate, candle in the middle of the plate, a dish of rock salt, and clean or "holy" water (spring water works well)), incense there as well;
3. set your intentions
4. clap the energy clear first clapping your way around the room by room until the house is done;
5. do another round with a strong, clear bell;
6. do another round with small chiming bells;
7. then "shield" or seal the room by sweeping your arm in one corner, then going corner to corner;
8. if you want it "extra" clean, sprinkle rock salt everywhere (floors and such), leave for 24 hrs, then vacuum up and then you want to (if possible) put it into the sea (if not possible, the toilet will be fine).
9. if you want it extra, extra clean, consider using camphor as your incense.

drumming is also great, but she likes bells, this one. so, lots about bells in hers.

and, it goes with the idea of just putting bells in places that need good flow.
#9 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Banned

oh, and when you are done, washing hands (possibly after each room), and then doing a whole body cleanse in the tub. Just same bit--create the altar, add salt to the bath, and there you go.
#10 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 PM

there are, i'm told, some wonderful books on specific recipes for things like wall washings, and so on. a lovely friend of mine is looking into some for me. i can ask her for the names of the books, if you'd like. they're specifically pagan though, just fyi. the ones she's shared so far sound amazing. i'm so excited to try them-- but i'm really wanting to go beyond the "basics," if you kwim.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page