Adult Baptism Social Protocol? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are pursuing membership in our church, and one of the requirements is adult baptism (by immersion). So we will be taking the big dip at the end of September.

Does anyone know the social protocol about this? I know that after baby baptisms there is usually a little party and cake, and we did the same after our daughter's dedication. So I am wondering if we should maybe have people over for coffee and sandwiches afterwards? Is that indulgent and pretentious, or is it just the way it is? There have been a couple of baptisms done while we have been attending this church, but nobody that has been good friends with us.... so if they had a little reception, I wouldn't have known about it.

I want to recognize that this is a *big deal*, without being self congratulatory about it.

Thoughts?

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#2 of 7 Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have never known anyone to have any sort of reception following an adults/teens baptism.

Does your church have a coffee hour of any sort? maybe you could host it.

Will there be other people being baptized? it would be really cool if there was a celebration for all of you.

Will your families be coming? Perhaps just celebrating afterwards with your family or very close friends.

For our family the Godparents threw the reception, they even took care of calling up people and inviting them. It was nice having Godparents to the play the role of proud parents, ya know.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 7 Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

I am not sure one way or another yet if there will be anyone else being baptised the same day. The church secretary just called us this week to tell us it had been scheduled.

We do have a coffee time / socialization after service, but it isn't anything that anyone hosts. Volunteers just put on the giant percolators in the morning so it will be ready after service.

We will be inviting my inlaws, and I suspect they will come, if only for the opportunity to hang out with their granddaughter. All the rest of our family lives too far away. They would be definitely be coming over for lunch no matter what.

We don't have God Parents in my denomination, so we don't have anyone to host. I am just as happy to not have anything to be honest. If we did do something we would just probably invite the members of our bible study group (which is 7 couples and 9 kids!) and not the whole congregation or anything like that!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#4 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are close to the people in your Bible study why not go to a park for a pot luck picnic at a park kind of thing. If you want to do something.

I certainly don't think you are obligated to do anything. I have never been involved in anyone celebrating an adult baptism. Especially in protestant circles (The protestants I know who have had baptisms, especially adult/older child, never seem to make a very big deal of it. Baptism being a very big deal in my current church was the first thing that caught my attention). Most of the baby dedications I have been a witness to have not have parties either. Just one family ever and and it was just everyone meeting at a pizza arcade after church. They brought a cake.

so no, you are totally not obligated and I doubt anyone would notice that you didn't do anything.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 AM

I was a teenager when I got baptized. Nothing special afterwards was done that I remember. We were baptized in front of the congregation and it was a happy time.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#6 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM

The Catholic church typically performs adult baptisms at the Easter Vigil service. The church I grew up at held a little reception with cake and punch downstairs after the mass was over.

I'm fairly certain that the cake and punch were provided by the church, and not an obligation of the Catechists.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#7 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstar View Post
The Catholic church typically performs adult baptisms at the Easter Vigil service. The church I grew up at held a little reception with cake and punch downstairs after the mass was over.

I'm fairly certain that the cake and punch were provided by the church, and not an obligation of the Catechists.
This is what happened with me as well.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page