Questions for Muslim mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-22-2010, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope no one minds but I am curious about something and I am hoping that Muslim mamas can answer.

How do you handle fasting during Ramadan when you are nursing an older baby? I am thinking over a year. Do you still fast and make up the time later? How does fasting affect your milk supply? Do you do a modified fasting like just drinking water? Thanks,

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#2 of 6 Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM

I'm not sure why the differentiation between an older baby and a younger one? It's all basically the same, I think. Fasting may affect supply, and if a mother fears for the health of her child for that reason she should not fast. If fasting is not affecting supply or otherwise causing no reason for fearing for health, then she should fast. But how it will go individually is all just personal ... there really aren't set-in-stone guidelines to follow about what will happen.

There are no partial/modified fasts, though. A person is either fasting or they aren't. If a person is taking water, then they very simply are not fasting.
#3 of 6 Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I differentiating between an older baby and younger is that I thought that if a woman was nursing a newborn or young baby she might not want to run the risk of altering her supply and so was more likely to refrain from fasting with a newborn. Also I thought that nursing women were exempted from fasting but didn't know if that changed when the baby was older kwim.

#4 of 6 Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatowill View Post
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I differentiating between an older baby and younger is that I thought that if a woman was nursing a newborn or young baby she might not want to run the risk of altering her supply and so was more likely to refrain from fasting with a newborn. Also I thought that nursing women were exempted from fasting but didn't know if that changed when the baby was older kwim.
I fasted when my daughter was 13 months old because I had a very robust supply. It was pretty hard on me, though. If I had it to do over again I'd probably not fast while nursing unless it was an older toddler who only nursed a couple times a day.
#5 of 6 Old 08-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatowill View Post
Oh, ok. Well, there's no clause that fasting takes precedent over breastfeeding once a child hits an age at which they could theoretically be weaned. Almost all of the exemptions from fasting are really just a matter of exercising judgement in good faith.
#6 of 6 Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the replies I had often wondered- I live in an area with a high population of Muslims but don't know any well enough to ask that sort of question.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page