~*~September Pagan Family Circle ~*~ - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 630 Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
Not enought time to check up I am down with the flu. It has been so long since I have been sick with the flu.
Hugs, redveg. I hope you feel better soon. I hate the flu, but I like to think that sickness has its place-- forcing us to slow down when we are so reluctant to do it on our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post
And the GOOD NEWS - the antibiotic is working!!!! My elbow is looking and feeling much better! Yay to no surgery!!
Yay! That is awesome news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittee View Post
My dh lost his job today. Someone who he thought was a friend was saying things to the boss and now has dh's job as a result.
Gawd, that's awful. Sounds like the betrayal is worse than the job loss I wish your dh a better job, and soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
our weather here is hot also. i mean i know it is suppose to be pretty hot until mid october, but it is still well over 100. the last three days have been pushing 110.
Ye Gods, mama, and here I was complaining about 85...wow. I feel like a weenie now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post
oh Gods I am feeling so lost, guilty, and miserable right now.
I'm sorry, mama. Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
My Gillian turns 6 tomorrow.

Happy birthday, Gillian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
(We aren't fully prepared for the end of the world, only somewhat prepared.)
Oh man, are you a survivalist, too? I had a buttload of stuff for y2k and then the lights stayed on
Though I still have survivalist tendencies, I now think that if "they" sent "the bomb" over here, I'd say "where's the X?" and then stand on it with my ds.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#362 of 630 Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 PM

Lots of stuff going on as usual... to those who need them, and yay for those who are celebrating!

had a wonderful weekend (I was out M's way this weekend, Maia, for an art festival and housewarming for an old friend), and now...post-nasal drip. I need some serious sleep, but DD has been sleeping like crap. I cannot be sick again...I was sick for almost all of August! And I'm huge on vit D....I take 11,000 i.u. daily! my immune system should be awesome!

feeling alone in parenting: sometimes I feel that way myself, though after reading what you had to say, mamaofthree, I guess I don't. I truly hope you can fnd some way to wake him up and get him to really be your full partner.

Come ponder with me about food!
#363 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
My dh lost his job today. Someone who he thought was a friend was saying things to the boss and now has dh's job as a result. I am very disappointed in the whole thing, but dh is hurt because he thought this guy was a friend.
I am not feeling well at the moment, and think that the stress may manifest itself as an illness. I'm going to go watch movies in bed until dh gets home and we can talk about our game plan. Why does this economy have to suck so bad??
Oh that's very crappy! My dh got fired almost 3 weeks ago.. Thought he found a job but it didn't work out. Now he's starting a job that is pissing me off, but we'll put up with for now because despite govt assistance being very good here... it's not really enough to cover all our expenses and have anything at all left Our economy never tanked like the US has... but it's starting to feel the strain despite best efforts of the govt to keep it from dying in the arse, so to speak. I really hope another opportunity presents itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
well, the worst is that i don't know which cat is doing it. the old lady (sick) cat or the rambunctious ("i wanna live outside") kitten (who beats up on old lady). on the other hand, 99% of the pee these days is on stuff that can be washed. old lady's deceased brother pee'd regularly on the carpet. yuck.
EW my sympathies! We had a cat up until a few years ago, she pee'd on everything. The vet tested for uti etc, nothing. I finally had to rehome when it became out of control... she peed on My bed.. with me in it.. imagine waking up laying in a puddle of cat pee!!!!!!

Quote:
conversation with DH tonight.
Started with talks over if DS should go to preschool...I could be swayed by a great preschool but really, for the time being, am on the side of him staying home, DH is "willing to look into the research" but everything he says is fighting the idea...
turns in to a conversation about our son being circumcised...which I am so against but finally allowed since it meant so much to DH as a Jew, and I am still so broken up and consumed with guilt over it, and DH says that is yet another reason he does not know that we should ever have a third, in case it's a boy...

oh Gods I am feeling so lost, guilty, and miserable right now.
UGH.. can't blame you. The Jewish thing is kind of weird, because your son is not a Jew by birth (if You, the mother was jewish, obviously circ would have been a valid discussion)

Preschool isn't something that requires researching imo ...It only came about in the last generation, and we can see how much it seems to have benefited children on the whole thus far (not much except as childcare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Psst- I posted a pic of my son when he was an adorable toddler on my blog. Go see.
I think I'm getting broody.
Oh he ws too cute! I love flipping back thru the pics of the boys from when they were tiny, it reminds me that they weren't always little beasts like they are lately

I'm not sure if I posted about a huge drama with a friend of mine (long story short: I'm super stressed due to joblessness etc now and could NOT handle getting involved in a drama she is having that involves mutal aquantances of ours) We are attempting to talk and put things back together... so maybe I can save my friendship.. cause goodness knows I don't have many.

Red, hope you feel better soon hun!

I'm sure there are other things I wanted to reply to but my next has dropped out twice and I had to go BACK through and requote, so I'm simply out of steam

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#364 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 AM

#365 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 AM

Thanks for all the ladies. I think we could all use a big . Of course that is how I feel whenever I open my latest MDC email. I love being part of this group.

Married to my loving DH superhero.gif, becoming more and more "crunchy" with age. 
#366 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
My dh lost his job today.
That's so crappy I hope he finds a new job asap.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#367 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Morning all. I am not going to make it today. I thought I could catch up, but I need to get back in bed. I do feel better, but not enough to be up and around. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Hugs to those in need/want

I will try again tomorrow. I feel so out of touch I am thinking about you all though.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#368 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Woke up to frost.

I'll go and see what survived in the garden...

Implementing a new rhythm in our life and I find it hard to keep up here and a few other places... Transition time...

Hugs and Good vibes to all!

Valérie   
#369 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
And I'm huge on vit D....I take 11,000 i.u. daily!
VitD is a fat-soluble vitamin, witchy. You can get toxic amounts of it. I wouldn't over-do it. Do research it and be careful, K?

I heard about that art festival. I thought he was going to take pix but I don't think he did.
He stayed sober the whole weekend! and went to a meeting on Saturday. I said "What did you get out of it?"
He said "Nothing. A couple people stood up and said basically they went to AA and didn't drink anymore."
I said "Um, there's your message. I don't think, at this stage of the game, that you NEED anything more profound than that!"
He got it

He has been avoiding his friend J's phone calls. The one that he goes to get sometimes? He admitted that J is mostly a drinking buddy. I knew it, but M wouldn't say so.
Well, this morning he told me that he did talk to J last night. And that J said he might want to check out an AA meeting with M sometime. M told him he'd have to run that idea by me first!

I said, you know, that's not a bad idea. But probably not yet. J should, if he's really interested, try to check out meetings in his own area first. And then maybe awhile down the road, you can pick him up and take him to a meeting. IN the daytime. But probably not yet. That would be like the blind leading the blind and you'd both end up drunk.

He said "That's why I ran it by you, first".
I said "Good call"

Then I said, "Which is why it'd be a good idea for you to get a sponsor".
He said "That'll probably never happen".
When I asked why, he said "You know I don't like people very much".
I said "You have a vicious past that put you in that position. That is part of what ends you up drunk." and he thought it would be a good idea to start breaking out of that pattern. So, tiny baby steps

DS has no school today, because of a "teacher work day", whatever the heck that is. I wonder what parents do, that have to work?
Anyway, we're going to the apple orchard and get a LOT of apples. I'm going to need them on this diet, though how I'll only stick to one a day is beyond me. Maybe I should not get a half bushel like I usually do? Sigh. That's going to be hard. Me lurve apples.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#370 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I'm so annoyed at this forum-- I am not getting email notifications. I went to the CP and changed it, and changed it back again, to see if I could reset it, but...nope. Nada. I don't know what's wrong. It's just annoying. I keep forgetting which forums (except this one ) I'm part of. Argh!

#371 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM

Hello! Wishing everyone a good day

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
And I'm huge on vit D....I take 11,000 i.u. daily! my immune system should be awesome!
That's about what I take in the winter - lower dose in the summer because we try to be outdoors. I asked my doctor a year ago if I could get my blood levels of D tested and he just laughed - "You're a Canadian, you're D-deficient by definition in this climate!" So I've been on it since, will ask for another blood test when I have my next checkup.

DoK, that is a lovely photo of you and your son. I can really see the love between you, and he is definitely a cutie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I really hope another opportunity presents itself!

I hope that for you too, Cari! You had, indeed, posted about the drama with your friend. I'm glad you're having the chance to work things out with each other, hope it comes out the way you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pomegranate 1jar View Post
Hello, and Welcome 1pomegranate 1jar. Now that is an unusual username, what does it mean?

Hope you are feeling better soon, redveg. Thinking about you, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
Woke up to frost.

I'll go and see what survived in the garden...
Hey, Valérie!

We've had a week of frosts. I have some herbs I want to bring indoors for the winter in pots - oregano, lemon balm, lemon verbena, rosemary, maybe lavender and a couple of mints. They tolerate early frosts, but I have to get them potted and bring them into the warm soon. And I'm using some cc points to buy grow lights so I can actually keep them alive this year. I'm trying to find the kind of bulbs that give full-spectrum light and planning to try having them in my living room - a plant center for the kids, and maybe we'll get some benefit from the light, too. We need more light in that room, anyway.

I've been thinking of participation in online communities as a creative act lately, and about how right it is that one can choose how and even if, to participate. Best of luck with your transition and your rhythm - hope it works out that we still see you around here!!
#372 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

That's about what I take in the winter - lower dose in the summer because we try to be outdoors. I asked my doctor a year ago if I could get my blood levels of D tested and he just laughed - "You're a Canadian, you're D-deficient by definition in this climate!" So I've been on it since, will ask for another blood test when I have my next checkup.
I figure I'm nursing (a toddler, but still quite often) and I live in MA, so I take an amount based off what I've been reading. The slightly weird amount is becuse I've also added vtamin A in the form of cod liver oil, and it has a bit of D in it as well. I think the RDA is way too little! But yes, I'll be careful...promise!

Good for M taking baby steps!

NewMoonMom, I've asked my DH before if he regrets being circ'd, and he does not, though if we had had a son, we did come to the decision to not do it. So please don't continually beat yourself up over it. Can I gently ask if your husband is a Reform Jew, and how welcomng his congregation is? I only ask this because my DH, who was born of a non-Jewish mother, was stll raised Jewish, and his Reform congregation was fine with him. However, outside of his congregation, in college especially, he was very much made to NOT be welcome as a Jew because his mother never converted (she is a lapsed Catholic). So DH, who basically didn't believe the theology by that point anyway, stopped practicing and became Pagan of his own accord. He does consider himself culturally Jewish, however.

#373 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Morning gals! I've missed you all and been holding you close in my thoughts!

for everyone and for the cusp of the full moon & Mabon!

s, , and for the ickies, job loss, betrayals and other things which have affected all of us in one way or another.

Fall is in the air here in WI! We managed to harvest & cut down our garden this weekend. The tomatoes all caught a fungus and I worked to transplant some of our herbs back into containers. I have a stevia & some basil to move and then we're set. I blended up all our lemon balm and ended up with lots of little cubes (frozen) that I can pop out and add to any dish I need over the winter

Trying to plan for Mabon since this is my first actual time celebrating it and stumbling along... I think I need a little re-read of the holiday and get down to the essential parts of it.

Welcome back Bluets & Gun! Missed you ladies a bunch!
Welcome 1pomegranate 1jar!

Random shoutouts (sorry if I missed anyone!)-
DOK - Still holding you in my thoughts and wishing you strength and a good outcome s

Maia - HOLY BABYSTEPS batman for M!! !! !!

Redveg - I hope you are feeling better soon

Brittee - s ... and remember there is a window open somewhere for your DH. He will be on to better things soon!

Cari - ugh for your DH! keeping my fingers

Aeress - belated Happy birthday Gillian!!!

NewMoon - I know the discussion re: circumcision. s

Aubergine - Hello Sunshine! I love your list of herbs... ! Psstt... I've been having a tickle to focus on some dream work... can you recomend an authors or works which would be great for a novice?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#374 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Hello, and Welcome 1pomegranate 1jar. Now that is an unusual username, what does it mean?
Thank you!

Well, it is a bit obscure I guess.

'1 pomegranate' is a nod to Eve from the bible. I view her story very differently than it was intended. To me, by eating the fruit, she gave us what really matters to us as women, daughters, lovers and mothers. To have knowledge to me, is to know suffering yes, but also great love. You cannot have one thing without the other. I sort of see it as a gift of sacrifice, I guess you could say?

'1 jar' is a nod to Pandora. Again, I view her tale differently. As above, you cannot have great joy without knowledge of suffering. You cannot be thankful, if you have no stick to measure with. Also - this is an aside, I enjoy writing, so my fancy can run away with me. I don't think it was just illness and evil that left her jar. sometimes, when I think of "releasing suffering and woe", I again think of love. Because of love, whether motherly, or that of a lover or even that of loving your home/land/country/planet - we suffer greatly. We experience woe. Is there any suffering more painful than love? but it is SO entirely worth it!

So, that was a long answer - but I view these two mythologies as a necessary to all that is dear to me as a woman, and frankly I give thanks to both ladies.

Do you think me odd now?
#375 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 01:30 PM
gun

1Pom - I think you fit right in! Welcome!

And thanks for the warm welcome back I recd. I was nervous about coming back and feeling like I would never catch up, and I didn't but its ok. I just missed this group so much!

Peace- Heather
#376 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post
1Pom - I think you fit right in! Welcome!
#377 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 01:38 PM

that is beautiful. i love when someone takes a story that is intended to make women look bad and turn it around and put it in a new light. i never thought that eve eating the "apple" was a bad thing, i always thought i was a bit weird that everyone thought getting knowledge was wrong. you say it so wonderfully. WELCOME!

so after spending a week or more fuming and being royally pissed off at just about everything, i just sort of released it all yesterday. i realized that when i am looking for all the things dh does "wrong" that is all i am seeing. yes, he has his faults, but he isn't a bad guy at all. and i am far from perfect. this whole living with someone else is hard work, i can't expect every day to be sunshine and roses. all the time i am struggling with my "demons" he is doing the same.
i have been trying to take a bit of time for myself, eating better (i was sort of binging on junk at the same time which isn't good), trying to get a short nap in about mid-day, doing alot of talking/writing, really remembering what i have to be grateful for, taking my vitamins, getting outside some (even though it feels like the surface of the sun), planning the garden, that sort of thing.
anyway, thank you all for "listening" to me as i processed all of this stuff. i am very grateful for all of you.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#378 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
gun

What's everyone doing to celebrate Mabon? Whatchya cooking?

I mentioned that DD1 has been working thru her grief about my MIL' death. Today she wanted to pretend to be MIL and was visiting us. I think this is a very healthy step in the right direction! And my arm is getting better!

Nice pic DoK!!

Redveg - feel better!

Peace- Heather
#379 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Browsing through some pages and stumbled upon this one on witchvox... and it has a menu too!

Mabon

I like the focus on the wheel as it turns and we get excited for the end of this summer (thank goodness!) and get ready for winter. This year - it feels like a chapter is ending.. and perhaps its for me because I'm finally focusing on the importance of faith in my life and I'm getting excited - quietly excited - for winter.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#380 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM

for mabon dinner i am planning on making this stew http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html along with a few sides and a pear tart.

gonna go check out the link.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#381 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
that is beautiful. i love when someone takes a story that is intended to make women look bad and turn it around and put it in a new light. WELCOME!

so after spending a week or more fuming and being royally pissed off at just about everything, i just sort of released it all yesterday. i realized that when i am looking for all the things dh does "wrong" that is all i am seeing. yes, he has his faults, but he isn't a bad guy at all. and i am far from perfect. this whole living with someone else is hard work, i can't expect every day to be sunshine and roses. all the time i am struggling with my "demons" he is doing the same.
Thank you! I'm glad.

I have found, that the better the man, the more we judge. My husband is amazing. 95% perfection. He'd walk through fire for us, I kid you not. So, with such a gift on my hands, you would think that 5% would be no more than a gnat, right? Drives me up the wall. Those stupid few things feel huge. What is wrong with him? The.stupid.idiot! I have to force myself to step back and look at the bigger picture. He is just so perfect, those few flaws seem glaring in comparison. It makes no sense, but there it is. So, when I get annoyed, I make myself take a step back. And it is terribly ironic too, because I'm not even 75% perfect, myself.
#382 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 02:59 PM

I have found, that the better the man, the more we judge. My husband is amazing. 95% perfection. He'd walk through fire for us, I kid you not. So, with such a gift on my hands, you would think that 5% would be no more than a gnat, right? Drives me up the wall. Those stupid few things feel huge. What is wrong with him? The.stupid.idiot! I have to force myself to step back and look at the bigger picture. He is just so perfect, those few flaws seem glaring in comparison. It makes no sense, but there it is. So, when I get annoyed, I make myself take a step back. And it is terribly ironic too, because I'm not even 75% perfect, myself.

I am laughing, cause yeah, my dh is such an amazing guy. Honestly, my biggest issue when we were first together is that he doesn't find fault in me. lol, how warped is that?
I had more to write but kids need help, so back to type more later.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#383 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Browsing through some pages and stumbled upon this one on witchvox... and it has a menu too!

Mabon

I like the focus on the wheel as it turns and we get excited for the end of this summer (thank goodness!) and get ready for winter. This year - it feels like a chapter is ending.. and perhaps its for me because I'm finally focusing on the importance of faith in my life and I'm getting excited - quietly excited - for winter.

i liked her menu and it was fun to finally read an article like that and be able to see it reflected in my surroundings and at our farmers markets. this is my first autumn where there is a change of seasons- i lived in az for so long- we used the equinox to celebrate the change from 105 degree days to 90 degree days...

Quote:
for mabon dinner i am planning on making this stew http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html along with a few sides and a pear tart.

gonna go check out the link.

h
drool. that looks like a really yummy stew. ive always had pretty good luck with giadas recipes too... although I cannot follow a recipe to save my life. I think I just tend to like her flavor profiles though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

I am laughing, cause yeah, my dh is such an amazing guy. Honestly, my biggest issue when we were first together is that he doesn't find fault in me. lol, how warped is that?
I had more to write but kids need help, so back to type more later.

this is so me!

if is sit and think about my dh I feel so full and happy. He has come a long way in his journey to fatherhood and spirituality and more recently he has fought his depression and really stepped up as my man.

but I get so mad at some of his tiny flaws... and he is so celebratory of my flaws, he would tell anyone he loves everything about me "even teh crazy"

we got into a little argument the other night because I wanted him to stop reading and come into the living room with me and the kids. it reminded me of the scene from the movie knocked up- the paul rudd character says, "my biggest problem in my marriage is that my wife likes me too much" or something like that.

i think we get to the point where we think "well you are so awesome about all this, whats up with this other little bit? what DONT YOU CARE?"
lol

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#384 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM

oh, and our menu is
roasted lemon herb chicken
roasted potatoes and chard
acorn squash dessert....

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#385 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 PM

Mabon- Squash/carrot muffins, stew of some sort, and dessert

What dessert to make?

I am hoping to get some wheat stalks and pick up apples for Mabon. I think we will try to make fresh cider or juice.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#386 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM

Just lit my candle and am thinking of all you Mammas!!

DOK-how are you feeling today?

redveg-still wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Britee-how are you guys holding up? What a lousy situation, I am so sorry.

Valerie, ktg-me jealous of your frost. I grew up in Chicago, and am temporarily stuck in LA. I SO miss the change of the seasons, the smell of winter, billowy clouds and thunderstorms...can't say I miss needing to take a sledgehammer to an inch-thick layer of ice on my windshield...
1pom-welcome! These ladies are the best!!

Maia-oh, that is really wonderful news!!

MO3-I am super glad to hear you are coming into a better emotional place, and especially looking to take better care of yourself. Right on!!

cari-about preschool-yep, exactly..of course DH says just because it's new does not mean it's not beneficial. My battle is made harder by the fact that his idolized mother is a preschool teacher. PLUS he thinks that his father being a child psychologist gives him some special insight into what's best for kids..nevermind that his father got his PhD decades ago and really specializes in high-risk situations like suicidal teens.

witchy-thank you for that...that's one of my fears-that my son will be angry with me one day for not protecting him better. I'm not sure how DH defines his practice...I mean I know he certainly rejects many orthodox ideas. The temple we belonged to before we moved was quite reform, and there were things he really liked about it, and things he did not like so much. Funny thing is, until we started trying to start a family, DH also only considered himself culturally Jewish. He had the whole "science is my religion" deal going on. When we wanted to start a family, I told him I felt he needed to think about what of his religious heritage he wanted to share with our kids. He was so mad at me for a while, feeling I was telling him what to believe..but then he started going to Hillel at his university, and kind of never looked back. He's pretty devout now. He half-jokingly tells people who wonder about our interfaith marriage "my Wiccan wife made me a better Jew."

All that said, as I have mentioned we are inviting our son to participate on both our traditions, which he does eagerly, and when he is old enough(as with whatever other kids we have) he will decide his own path, if any. I am more adamant in this than anything else in our lives. So though DH confesses he'd rather raise them Jewish, he knows there is no way I would ever allow the divine to be dictated to our kids. Won't it be fun when we (hopefully) move closer to family and we'll have his huge family around us pushing their views...because I know I will not be able to keep my mouth shut on that one. Well, DH sure didn't marry me because I kept my opinions to myself...

I am so rambling..everybody feel well, and have a great day
#387 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:

DOK-how are you feeling today?
Thanks for thinking of me.
Been having asthma trouble. Went to doc today. They did an EKG just in case. Am on prednisone for a week. Ugh.

Hoping to get results from the biopsies this week.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#388 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Yeah, it was the folks at Hillel that made my DH feel VERY unwelcome, that he needed to convert in order to count. He was like, I had a bris, a Bar Mitzvah, and a Confirmation (Reform temple), doesn't that make me a Jew? sort of train of thought. But yeah, we definitely want my DD to know her Jewish and Christian heritage, but since neither of us practice those, we're raising her Pagan with the option to do whatever she wants when she's autonomous. If it doesn't work for her later, that's her choice, just as it was our choice to change religion in our 20s. I'm just saying this for you to know if your son decides to be a religious Jew, he may face the same sort of attitude that my Dh did...so you can be prepared for it, unlike my ILs.

On a different note, the local Mabon celebration is going to be all storytelling, so my DD should have fun. She loves stories!

#389 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM

The internet keeps kicking me off mdc! poot!

welcome 1Pom... love the stories and insight. Glad you found us!

DoK- I'm sorry for the worry. I hope it's just jitters and the report is filled with 'no problems'. Big hugs.

And big hugs to everyone going through family job loss, underemployment, worry, and other identity/finance ickies.

Weather- we're expecting frost at altitude this week. So we're scrambling to get the last tomatoes. The winter coop is done and the flock moved (double walled coop with foam board between layers, ventilation, closer to our house so less to shovel, solar power light to maintain laying). The stove has been taken apart and cleaned, the chimney cleared, and the pellets ordered. And I need to start planning a winter kit for the car.

I'm having more panic attacks... not sure why. I'm feeling overwhelmed and need to get some space, but I just can't seem to catch up, let alone get ahead. Not sure if it's the seasonal energy whirlpool or the recent changes in plan or just the red queen's race of homeschool/out school/groups/activities and I just need time for things to settle. Hmmm.

Mabon- we made "fall leaves" today (crayon shavings melted into waxed paper, then cut out using tracings of the kiddos' hands, then strung up to make "falling leaves" that glow in the sun) and last night I made a wreath for the door (grapevine base, dried grasses with seed heads tucked into the grapevine, the two crows that are always part of the seasonal wreath, and five little bags made from shimmery fabric... I filled each one with a different "harvest", rosemary from the garden, the last red rose from the trellis, glass beads for my business, corn from our veggie garden, and one bag filled with little wooden markers associated with my TM). And I set up the altar for the season with a red/orange/gold cloth, squash and heritage tomatoes, candles, etc.

Mabon meal-
fresh sliced peppers (from our CSA) and bean dip
polenta with apple sausage
squash pie (again CSA, like a pumpkin pie but not pumpkin)
local cider for the kids and a pumpkin ale for us

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#390 of 630 Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM

hey everyone. i keep thinking i'll feel better and want to come play, but that doesnt seem like it's happening, so i'm gonna pretend to play and see if that psyches me out at all...

i'm trying to figure out a way to celebrate the "fall" equinox <insert snide remark about the weather here> that makes me feel Good About Where I Am, rather than mopey about where i am NOT.... focusing on the wine element is feeling right to me. i make this awesome port and cream chicken and pasta dish with sliced grapes. with maybe something baked apple for dessert. wine and apples. that i can do, that is "local" and... seasonal. anyone else avoiding the more pumpkiny slant? it's so hard, as it's INYOURFACE everywhere right now! but i feel the need to save that-- wait and have it be more special later in october? i did sort thru my embroidery floss for my beaded bracelets and pull out the colors that said "fall" to me. russets and olivey greens and grapey purples and reds.

i've been thinking of you all. sorry i'm so self-absorbed and self-pitying lately....
xoxox

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page