Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
I'm guessing potassium, or calcium? Or both? Someone correct me if I'm off base
He has eating issues (remember, he's been in Feeding Therapy) so getting him to eat nutritious foods is extremely difficult. He won't take supplements and all the powdered vitamins are flavored and he won't take them even mixed with milk/water.

So I have to do what many people think is terrible: I have to hide fruit and veggies in his pancake batter. It's either that or he gets a feeding tube.
So, I will definitely take the hidden food route.
(yes, I offer him regular fruit and veggies at every single meal and have been doing so since he's been on table food. He won't touch it. Not even when he was in feeding therapy.)

It's a common thing with kids on the autism spectrum with sensory processing disorder.
Sure hope that insurance will pay for Feeding Therapy closer to home once the Autism Insurance Bill goes into effect in January.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I knew that

I am not in the camp that thinks hiding nutrients in other food is bad
I do it myself. If you can find it, there's a very old but tiny paperback called, I think, "The Sneaky Organic Cook" or some such. It's from the 70s but has some nifty ideas in, and other ideas to springboard off of.

Pancakes...hmm ~thinks to herself~ What do you hide in pancakes? I put shredded zucchini under the cheese on homemade pizza. You can't see it, cause it's white when it's shredded, and you can't taste it at all

Going home tomorrow I'm sorry that we had two days of shite, but I'm glad it all came out in the wash and that things are back to normal.
Only now, we both have stuffy/tickly/runny noses. M had it first; he thought it was the air conditioner, but now I have it, too. I'm trying to decide if it's a cold or allergies. No other symptoms, and neither of us feels bad. It's just the dang nose

What's everybody's Mabon plans? What's on the menu? I'm having a hankering for cornbread. And I don't even much like cornbread I like it with honey, but for savory, I had a boyfriend once that made a killer jalapeno cornbread. Had just enough of an edge, not really overspicy at all.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 PM

I am seeing my OB this week as I've been contracting with pain, so I know they're not braxton hicks. they're irregular right now so I'm on "bedrest" but no time for that. I have other appointments and two kids to school.

I am starting to feel down about my courses and degree. I am going into holistic therapy, but all my classes are for clinical. I'm so different than my classmates and for some reason that's bothering me.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Newmoonmum & unschoolinmom for happy healthy mommies and babies too!

Phyllis Curott eh? I will have to look this one up. I walked into goodwill shopping for props for The Music Man and saw a book called the craft companion. I was thinking arts and crafts (did I mention, shiny new pagan?) and thumbed through it. It was spells for various things, but very little explanation or ritual. I decided against it, and chose not to go off on a spell half cocked.

CariOfOz - Austrailia?! Like for a visit or for forever. It seems like such an amazing country. yay georgia natives! I've lived here for two years now, and compared to the many other places I have lived, I am a big fan.

Aubergine68 - Books...hm...well, I could point you toward some fantasy based things with a lore sort of feeling. If you like all the lore from old Irish stories you could read the bitterbynde trilogy. The first one is called The Ill Made Mute. Another one that I would highly recommend is Daughter of the forest, followed by son of the shadows. There is a third book, but unfortunately the quality diminishes as it goes, and I never did finish the third book. I always thought that Chocolat was a little bit witchy. I was torn as to my feelings about the movie or the book being better. The book is very good, and so is the movie, but the movie has a youngish johnny depp and...well, you see my dilemma.

Married to my loving DH superhero.gif, becoming more and more "crunchy" with age. 
Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 PM

DoK, there's a more recent cookbook done by Jerry Seinfeld's wife about hiding veggies in things. I'd happily lend you the book if it ever comes back to me (Dh's summer boss has it).

Maia, hope it's not a cold, and I'm glad you two worked things out!

newmoonmom and unschoolinmom, yes, many healthy happy vibes for safe and healthy babes.

we went to a cute little railroad place for kids today. Thomas the Train was the theme. I didn't know my DD was so into it, but she had a great time.

I <3 Mabon...I'm thinking a corn chowder will definitely be on the menu. I've recently gone gluten-free, so the typical stuff will have to be reconfigured.

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
So I have to do what many people think is terrible: I have to hide fruit and veggies in his pancake batter. It's either that or he gets a feeding tube.
(yes, I offer him regular fruit and veggies at every single meal and have been doing so since he's been on table food. He won't touch it. Not even when he was in feeding therapy.)
*I* don't think it's bad at all! You are the mama, and it's your job to keep him healthy... which includes trying to get him to eat as nutritious of a diet as you can, making him brush teeth etc. I actually am not a fan of self regulation to the degree of allowing my kids to eat zero healthy food, ignore the health of their teeth etc (the teeth ref is because we met some ppl at a hs park meet this morning and the kid hd horrid teeth.. parent said he just REFUSES to brush them! Sorry tooth brushing is non negotiable to me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unschoolinmom View Post
I am seeing my OB this week as I've been contracting with pain, so I know they're not braxton hicks. they're irregular right now so I'm on "bedrest" but no time for that. I have other appointments and two kids to school.

I am starting to feel down about my courses and degree. I am going into holistic therapy, but all my classes are for clinical. I'm so different than my classmates and for some reason that's bothering me.
Bedrest is a pita.. but if it's gotta be done you at least need to relax on the couch while the kids do 'suff' Being different is not a bad thing! My gf rocked up to our hs coop yesterday with her choppy hair with wild BRIGHT red chunks coloured through it... and after an inital eye raising.. everyone was very social toward her. Just be your usual friendly self and I think it'll be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittee View Post
CariOfOz - Austrailia?! Like for a visit or for forever. It seems like such an amazing country. yay georgia natives! I've lived here for two years now, and compared to the many other places I have lived, I am a big fan.
Yep Aussie aussie Aussie I've been a permanent resident here since 2000 I absolutely love it here. I left Ga when I was 17 and haven't lived there since, although I have visited a few times. Sadly, at least in the area I lived (Albany/sw corner) people are too closed minded & intolerant for my liking. Including my remaining family there! I was always among the 'omg I always wanted to go there' crowd years ago.. and yep, it's completely lived up to expectations! And as a holiday location it's lurvely
[quote[
I always thought that Chocolat was a little bit witchy. I was torn as to my feelings about the movie or the book being better. The book is very good, and so is the movie, but the movie has a youngish johnny depp and...well, you see my dilemma.[/QUOTE]Yeah the movie wins out on the Depp factor I agree about the movie... there's a feel of magic in the air through the whole thing, we loved that movie

It's THE most amazing spring day here, I'm off to the gym and then off to enjoy it some more!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

unschoolin'... I hope everything turns out for the best.

M and me...sigh. Things were fantastic again, and then went south. He pulls away, and I cling more. It's an awful circle. We have to figure this out-- I told him, look, this is driving a wedge and it'll end up with us breaking up. He said NO, I don't want that...and neither do I.
This morning, he did lots better with trying to listen to my feelings, but he's stumped. I don't know how I can make myself any clearer. Mars and Venus indeed. Sigh.
He's going to bring it up with his therapist. I don't have a therapist...I only have you guys

Here's my feelings on the topic: I don't think things have changed with me. I'm pretty sure they haven't. He's gotten more...well, sex and intimacy and touching and focused attention don't seem to be as important to him as they were in the beginning, or as they do to me. He says I turn him on and that he loves me, but his behavior this time shows different. I know he does, but what's happened??

To him (at least, this go-round) hanging together in the same room with us on our separate computers IS hanging together. Now for me, that's fine for a little while, but it's kind of like the Waldorf theory of expansion and contraction-- I need to stop with the computers, or TV, or whatever separate activity, after awhile, and BE together. In and out, together and separate, activity and rest.
He wasn't getting that at all, and getting very angry with me (and pulling away) for mentioning it.
He can be very good about listening to my needs, and we did go for a walk last night when I suggested it.

And then this morning, I'm on the train right now to go home, and he calls me from work, agonizing (finally) about treating me terribly and how awful he feels. Personally I think he has been looking for an excuse to drink and hate himself more. He did say he'd already been thinking of it. I said LOOK, don't, try to use this as an opportunity for growth. He said good idea. Let's see ~sigh~

Anyway. He has a lot of issues from his past involving sex, and it's affecting us-- I don't know why now, all of a sudden, though. That's my problem with this whole thing-- he has severe issues and I know this, but if they haven't affected us yet, why now? So my own insecurities are rearing their ugly heads and I'm thinking it must be me, but I'm trying to be compassionate and realize he has a LOT to work through. But that doesn't help my issues any.

What to do? Augh. He said, this morning, very sincerely, that he doesn't want to lose me. I said this has to be resolved or he will. I can't live like this. I don't think he can, either. And I for sure don't want to lose him.
Oh, mamas...sh!t. What a mess. Why can't people just be mentally healthy? Why do we both have to be so f**cked up? We are both so damaged. We both think/hope/are pretty sure we can work through our stuff. I hope.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

I started today's lunch last night in the crockpot and our house smells all oniony.

I have actually read Practical Magic and a couple other Alice Hoffman books before seeing the movie. I think the author is trying to do something different and more complicated with her books than the filmmakers were, but that Pagan/Witchy mamas really need what the filmmaker offered more than what the author did.

I think I want to reread Katherine Howe's Physic Book of Deliverance Dane.
Time for me to break out the crockpot too.

I agree about the Practical Magic movie and book. I enjoyed Deliverance Dane too.
Quote:
maybe read Harry Potter all over again, in advance of the approaching season. AND some Stephen King, to boot.
The Harry Potter books are so good. I loved them. I read them every once in a while.

Quote:
I have to hide fruit and veggies in his pancake batter.
There are cook books out there all about hiding food in other food. I thought about getting a few of them when my kids were little.

Quote:

Feel better. I hope all goes well at your appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
DoK, there's a more recent cookbook done by Jerry Seinfeld's wife about hiding veggies in things. I'd happily lend you the book if it ever comes back to me (Dh's summer boss has it).
I know about her book and there was one other that was just like it but don't remember who's the author.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

And then I got my Note From The Universe in my email:

Quote:
I know you already know this, but Maiasaura, the only way one can find their way is to first be lost. To make it big, start out small. To fall in love, first feel none. Yet, when such wishes are granted and the dreamers suddenly find themselves lost, small, and alone, you should hear the "expletives"!

So, look at it like this: Any such feelings are simply a sign that you've made a really, really big and daring "wish," and that its manifestation has already begun.

Foxy, clever, wry -
The Universe

Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Morning

It's looking overcast here today, we could use some rain though. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Today I will be cleaning the mess teens make when the have a 4 day weekend.

Let me tell you my weekend was filled with teen drama. One of my DD's, who's 16 going to be 17 in Nov. Likes a boy she met in school the year before last, who's 19 and I have been dealing with the I am not fair because I won't allow them to date. The tears, the looks, the never ending discussion on why I won't allow it. I am so glad today is school so I can have a break from that.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 09-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Maia- My own experience with my hubby who I have been with for over 13 years has shown me the really, my hubby is an onion with so many layers and he doesn't show his layers all at once, so I am constantly peeling them away. I am not trying to change the layers but trying my best to understand how many there are, and what is in them.

Well, this is a quick reply cause it is school work time so need to get off the computer.

Unschoolin- please rest and have the kids bring work to the couch. *hugs*

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Welcome Kierae, NewMoonMum, and Brittee

The trip to the ocean last week was a success. We had wonderful sunny weather, played in the sand and built driftwood forts. Good times.
On the way back home, stopped at Trader Joe's & got some yummy wasabi mayonnaise ( among other things) and Ikea.

Cari- I'm glad to hear dh has a new job. Phew!

DoK- sorry you and ds have to go through the hoops trying to get his schooling sorted out.

Clay- home looks fabulous

redveg- it's hard being the mama Maybe make a deal for when they can date? I mean, if it's been a year, maybe she can wait another 6 mo or so?

I'm out of time, so I hope everybody has a wonderful, stress free day.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post
I would love any good vibes and prayers you ladies can spare.
I'm pretty nervous, waiting for some test results, I am really hoping they'll be in by mid-week.
<<snip>>
I really am feeling hopeful I will be fine this time, but knowing how frequently the condition repeats and waiting for those results is scary.

thanks for letting me rant here!
& for a smooth pregnancy!! and rants are always welcome here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
i have had that too. i even got in trouble at another forum i go to . i forget not everybody is the MDC kind of people. i have really wanted to tell alot of people off lately. please planets? please let up? lol.
Amen for the request for the planets to let up already! I did feel a bit of a breather on Friday... which was short lived...

Quote:
So, I 'm asking again today so y'all don't forget -- any book recommendations, especially witchy ones, fiction and non-? I know I'll be wanting a load of them in October and I won't be able to get at any of them till November.

yay for books I got back into the spirit of reading this weekend. Oh how have I missed it!!

The first book which popped into my head - was Memoirs of a Geisha. Not witchy I know, but the ceremonial aspects and rituals of being a Geisha resonated with me.

Quote:
I don't think that's terrible at all!! Feeding tubes are drastic measures, and often its a battle to get them out once in.
I am on the hidden food wagon too and have hidden many a veggie or fruit in items. I have a great sweet potato or squash or pumpkin pancake that I love - just add 1 cup of that pureed into the pancake mix with a little extra brown sugar. Its one of my favorite fall breakfasts to make.

Quote:

unschoolin'! Also here's a little note I wrote to your l.o.
Dearest baby dino - please be calm and give your momma some much needed rest and a little less stress. You must bake for at least 40 weeks to be ready for the world and to take on your brother and sister. We know you are eager to meet everyone, but patience little one, patience. ktg

Degree - are you doing school still? Is it with your psych degree? s
Quote:
What to do? Augh. He said, this morning, very sincerely, that he doesn't want to lose me. I said this has to be resolved or he will. I can't live like this. I don't think he can, either. And I for sure don't want to lose him.
Oh, mamas...sh!t. What a mess. Why can't people just be mentally healthy? Why do we both have to be so f**cked up? We are both so damaged. We both think/hope/are pretty sure we can work through our stuff. I hope.
Oh Maia! I think there are many things afoot and swirling inside M which are not about you, but him instead... I had a long response typed out, but it didn't feel right, too raw and not clear. So all I have this ...

All love comes from love - you must forgive & love yourself, before you can give love fully to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
Morning
Let me tell you my weekend was filled with teen drama. One of my DD's, who's 16 going to be 17 in Nov. Likes a boy she met in school the year before last, who's 19 and I have been dealing with the I am not fair because I won't allow them to date. The tears, the looks, the never ending discussion on why I won't allow it. I am so glad today is school so I can have a break from that.
Oh holy drama mama!! I remember that time period in my life. Hmmm time to and write my mom an apology letter.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Yes ktg, I'm futherin' my learnin'! LOL. I don't know why I felt down yesterday about my choice, but I realize I'm going to be a darn good therapist! Being stuck with pill pushers in my classes will just have to be something I get used to.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
M and me...sigh. Things were fantastic again, and then went south. He pulls away, and I cling more. It's an awful circle. We have to figure this out-- I told him, look, this is driving a wedge and it'll end up with us breaking up. He said NO, I don't want that...and neither do I.
This morning, he did lots better with trying to listen to my feelings, but he's stumped. I don't know how I can make myself any clearer. Mars and Venus indeed. Sigh.
He's going to bring it up with his therapist. I don't have a therapist...I only have you guys

Here's my feelings on the topic: I don't think things have changed with me. I'm pretty sure they haven't. He's gotten more...well, sex and intimacy and touching and focused attention don't seem to be as important to him as they were in the beginning, or as they do to me. He says I turn him on and that he loves me, but his behavior this time shows different. I know he does, but what's happened??

To him (at least, this go-round) hanging together in the same room with us on our separate computers IS hanging together. Now for me, that's fine for a little while, but it's kind of like the Waldorf theory of expansion and contraction-- I need to stop with the computers, or TV, or whatever separate activity, after awhile, and BE together. In and out, together and separate, activity and rest.
He wasn't getting that at all, and getting very angry with me (and pulling away) for mentioning it.
He can be very good about listening to my needs, and we did go for a walk last night when I suggested it.

And then this morning, I'm on the train right now to go home, and he calls me from work, agonizing (finally) about treating me terribly and how awful he feels. Personally I think he has been looking for an excuse to drink and hate himself more. He did say he'd already been thinking of it. I said LOOK, don't, try to use this as an opportunity for growth. He said good idea. Let's see ~sigh~

Anyway. He has a lot of issues from his past involving sex, and it's affecting us-- I don't know why now, all of a sudden, though. That's my problem with this whole thing-- he has severe issues and I know this, but if they haven't affected us yet, why now? So my own insecurities are rearing their ugly heads and I'm thinking it must be me, but I'm trying to be compassionate and realize he has a LOT to work through. But that doesn't help my issues any.

read the book :how to improve your marriage without talking about it". it explains very well why he doesnt want to talk about it and why he pulls away when you want to talk about it, and why he doesnt understand your need for connection. seriously good book esp for people who like psychiatry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
Maia- My own experience with my hubby who I have been with for over 13 years has shown me the really, my hubby is an onion with so many layers and he doesn't show his layers all at once, so I am constantly peeling them away. I am not trying to change the layers but trying my best to understand how many there are, and what is in them.
we cant change the layers, can we?
and i love this analogy.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yes ktg, I'm futherin' my learnin'! LOL. I don't know why I felt down yesterday about my choice, but I realize I'm going to be a darn good therapist! Being stuck with pill pushers in my classes will just have to be something I get used to.
Yay!! You're in a holistic program? Is this one?
Bastyr program

If I ever get to move back to WA, I'm thinking about this one strongly food and its connection to the mind/health/body/spirit

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM

maia: if he was hankering for a drink all weekend, could he have been resentful of you being there and so he was pulling away and not wanting to connect? i am sorry it didn't go as well as you hoped.

DoK: i don't think it is bad to hide fruit and vegetables (i have issues with the commercials that act like all kid hate to eat them). the book by seinfeld's wife is a good one. my MIL gave us a copy one year ( i have since passed it on) but she hid spinach in brownies! lol i am lucky and don't have to hide foods, if i make zucchini bread or pumpkin muffins or banana pancakes (or whatever) my kids know. BUT if your son won't eat any other way then do it. why do you feel the need to apologize?

newmoonmum:

Aeress: i love th onion thing! very shrek like! lol although i prefer a parfait... they also have layers! lol

birthday went well. dh dug up the garden beds (they were so nasty you had to use a pick axe to break them up. lol) and the kids got me Ponyo and My Neighbor Totoro. my mom gave me my grandmas cast iron dutch oven! which i have been wanting forever! and a great cast iron skillet. my SIL made a chocolate fountain! woop! that was amazing.

as for my anger issues... i use to have this workbook that helped you work thru this stuff, either i got rid of it or it is still packed up someplace. i feel like i have this cup inside of me and it is empty and when it gets full is when i get really upset, but lately it is never emptying, so i get pissed really easily.
facebook is part of it, i feel like people say things on-line that they would never actually say in real life, it is like a pass to be a jerk or something. BUT also it is a learned thing, my dad was like this... fine, fine, fine then BAM! NUTS! so i will laugh stuff off, let it slide and then wham i am so mad about something. i am finding i have less and less patients for certain types of people, and all they have to do is just say one thing and i wanna go crazy!

we went to dh's nieces daughters birthday party yesterday. it was nice. my dd is having a fundraiser for school, they are selling organic cleaning stuff (i HATE those darn fundraisers, i would rather hit everyone up for a couple bucks, which most people can do then ask them to buy overpriced stuff) so she asked around, most of dh's family is having money issues, i figured no one would buy anything (plus they don't really care for organic stuff), but you never know. well, only grandma bought something, and everyone is was like man this stuff is pricey and we are broke. cool, i get that. BUT one SIL just went on and on about how broke they are, they are so much more broke then anyone else, we can't even begin to know how broke they are. i just wanted to yell SHUT UP! i don't really care, just say you can't afford it, it doesn't make us feel bad. and then when you ask how the older kids are doing she just brags and brags about how they are doing in school and who is on the deans list and so and so is SOOO great, but nothing about the actual people, just their grades and how it makes her look good. and then she goes off about how they are going to remodel their kitchen and all the stuff she wants and yada yada.i can't stand talking to her. i can't tell you a thing about her family except they are broke and get good grades. sheesh! this is the stuff i can't stand. i finally just got up from the table and sat alone outside. because i wanted to start yelling at her, STOP IT! can you not actually have a conversation? blaaah!

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 09-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Yay!! You're in a holistic program? Is this one?
Bastyr program

If I ever get to move back to WA, I'm thinking about this one strongly food and its connection to the mind/health/body/spirit

No, I have to wait until I'm done with the higher psych stuff first. Then I'll get my holistic certification at a local community college. I just hope I can make psychology, human sexuality, and holistic balance together to help many people find peace again. My goal, to help those seeking come to grips with identifying their sexual self. Hard to do I'm sure but I'm up for the challenge!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
No, I have to wait until I'm done with the higher psych stuff first. Then I'll get my holistic certification at a local community college. I just hope I can make psychology, human sexuality, and holistic balance together to help many people find peace again. My goal, to help those seeking come to grips with identifying their sexual self. Hard to do I'm sure but I'm up for the challenge!
oooh I have a friend you could talk to.... I think she's getting her phd in human sexuality, and probably with some psychology thrown in there too. I think the 2 of you would have lots to chat about!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
birthday went well. dh dug up the garden beds (they were so nasty you had to use a pick axe to break them up. lol) and the kids got me Ponyo and My Neighbor Totoro. my mom gave me my grandmas cast iron dutch oven! which i have been wanting forever! and a great cast iron skillet. my SIL made a chocolate fountain! woop! that was amazing.

as for my anger issues... i use to have this workbook that helped you work thru this stuff, either i got rid of it or it is still packed up someplace. i feel like i have this cup inside of me and it is empty and when it gets full is when i get really upset, but lately it is never emptying, so i get pissed really easily.
facebook is part of it, i feel like people say things on-line that they would never actually say in real life, it is like a pass to be a jerk or something. BUT also it is a learned thing, my dad was like this... fine, fine, fine then BAM! NUTS! so i will laugh stuff off, let it slide and then wham i am so mad about something. i am finding i have less and less patients for certain types of people, and all they have to do is just say one thing and i wanna go crazy!

we went to dh's nieces daughters birthday party yesterday. it was nice. my dd is having a fundraiser for school, they are selling organic cleaning stuff (i HATE those darn fundraisers, i would rather hit everyone up for a couple bucks, which most people can do then ask them to buy overpriced stuff) so she asked around, most of dh's family is having money issues, i figured no one would buy anything (plus they don't really care for organic stuff), but you never know. well, only grandma bought something, and everyone is was like man this stuff is pricey and we are broke. cool, i get that. BUT one SIL just went on and on about how broke they are, they are so much more broke then anyone else, we can't even begin to know how broke they are. i just wanted to yell SHUT UP! i don't really care, just say you can't afford it, it doesn't make us feel bad. and then when you ask how the older kids are doing she just brags and brags about how they are doing in school and who is on the deans list and so and so is SOOO great, but nothing about the actual people, just their grades and how it makes her look good. and then she goes off about how they are going to remodel their kitchen and all the stuff she wants and yada yada.i can't stand talking to her. i can't tell you a thing about her family except they are broke and get good grades. sheesh! this is the stuff i can't stand. i finally just got up from the table and sat alone outside. because i wanted to start yelling at her, STOP IT! can you not actually have a conversation? blaaah!

h
That sounds like an awesome birthday! I those movies, and if you don't have it - get Castle in the Sky!! and Ooooh a cast iron dutch oven

Anger issues - I'm like you - I can let it build, and build and build and then BLAM! I have to get it out, otherwise it will fester like a wound and just get worse.

Walking away is one of the few options I treasure and we have friends like your SIL. Its always one-up'ing, one up'ing homemade dinners, organic eating, shopping and then its OMG we're so broke ! blarrrgh!!! I feel like this

Deep breathing and limited time with them makes it coping so much better, which is sad because they are nice people who just drive us insane.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM

DaughterOfKali-I too see nothing wrong with how you're handling the veggie issue. I'd say if the ONLY way people offer nutritious food to their kids is to hide it-that's not good. Obviously you are not, you have been offering them from the beginning and setting a good example. So the next logical step is to find another way to incorporate them into his diet! We don't have such feeding issues, just some picky eating, so he eats some veggies, others we mix into food (his fav is spinach corn muffins). We also have a few simple veggie recipes he can help make, he usually wants to eat it if he helps.

Maia-it definitely sounds like he's struggling with some demons. I obviously don't know much about it, but I know what it's like to have issues of abuse in the past. Sometimes things trigger a depression, sometimes you can't figure out for the life of you why, but you are suddenly stuck in your past and you don't know how to get out. I can't imagine what it's like for my DH when I get like that.
Also we've had some similar issues with expressing intimacy, but we're the opposite-DH is very physical, I tend not to be. I need an emotional connection, while DH shies away from sharing emotions, so we definitely struggle sometimes. I won't want to be sexual if I don't feel emotionally validated, and he pulls away even more emotionally when we are not being physical! It helped us to read "The Five Love Languages" by Dr. Gary Chapman-it's about couples who express their feelings of love and intimacy differently and how to come to an understanding about it.

Hmm so excited about making Samhain special( I think it's my fav Sabbat) that I have not thought much about Mabon. I need to come up with a few simple ideas! All I've done so far is make some autumn-y crafts with my son to decorate. It's a start!!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
we have friends like your SIL. Its always one-up'ing, one up'ing homemade dinners, organic eating, shopping and then its OMG we're so broke ! blarrrgh!!! I feel like this
Sometimes I fantasize about getting all dressed up , setting the table beautifully for dinner, and then announcing,

"Oh, food? Know I forgot something! Hey, let's order pizza!" or even

"Hey, didn't I say it was a guests-cook-dinner challenge? Sorta like a reality show. You get to rummage in my cupboards and freezer and put together a meal for us and I get to rate it! Won't that be fun?"
Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I fantasize about getting all dressed up , setting the table beautifully for dinner, and then announcing,

"Oh, food? Know I forgot something! Hey, let's order pizza!" or even

"Hey, didn't I say it was a guests-cook-dinner challenge? Sorta like a reality show. You get to rummage in my cupboards and freezer and put together a meal for us and I get to rate it! Won't that be fun?"
Welcome to IRON CHEF!! Aubergine-style!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM

i love that.
what i would love is having a conversation with her WITHOUT it being some sort of pissing contest about who has it worse. everyone has their days, everyone has stuff that sucks sometimes. i try to validate what goes on with them, but i never feel validated, just "oh you think that is bad, well check this out!" like come on, really? ugh!

i gotta learn to just let this stuff go. i feel like i have this cup inside that can take all this BS and then it over flows and i get mad... well my cup is either getting really small OR it is filling up way too fast. i am finding so much stuff irritating lately. i don't like it.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Oh my Goddess!! I have to update you all!
My test results came back already. Not only NORMAL-but the number they are watching for-my bile acid levels-WENT DOWN since my first test!!
I can hardly believe it!
I know so many Mammas who have had cholestasis with every single pregnancy they've had, this seems to good to be true!!

Thank you so much for all your positive thoughts!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Happiness for Newmoonmum and the little one to come.

ETA CariOfOz, I have lived lots of places, some very close minded, and some less, courtesy of an army brat and a career in artistic theatre. We've settled fairly close to Atlanta now, and I like how different it is from other areas, like my own crunchy gay friendly alternative haven.

Married to my loving DH superhero.gif, becoming more and more "crunchy" with age. 
Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 PM

newmoonmum: that is GREAT NEWS!!!

h

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 PM

NewMoonMom- This is good news!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 PM

hugs and vibes and yay! and boo! and so on for all.

ds and i are both sick. again. i'm trying not to take it personally, but i'm not doing so well with that.

i cant stop longing for fresh air and cooler temps and, well, the life i thought i'd be living now. i'm so frustrated with me for having SUCH a hard time with this adjustment. i'd beg for a heart home thread, but i think that might just about do me in, rather than help. i dont expect any answers, but if anyone has any, by all means, pleaseeeee share. (i think i need to ask the tapping guy for a script for living a displaced life........)

happy almost new moon! (fingers crossed for happy hopeful articles!)
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Another busy week. Hoping I can be back on here more this Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post
My test results came back already. Not only NORMAL-but the number they are watching for-my bile acid levels-WENT DOWN since my first test!!
Woohoo! Fabulous news!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

User Tag List