quaker "friends" families - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there must be quaker/friends mamas out there, but I can't seem to find a tribe. I would love to share resources about how you share your faith with your children. I would to learn about love books, games, movies that promote peaceful values and listening to one another.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TForce View Post
I know there must be quaker/friends mamas out there, but I can't seem to find a tribe. I would love to share resources about how you share your faith with your children. I would to learn about love books, games, movies that promote peaceful values and listening to one another.
Any ideas?
Hi mama. I am a recently convinced friend. I still hold onto my Pagan beliefs, but incorporate them with Quaker beliefs. I am a head covering, modern "Christian" dressing mama. I am learning idea myself, and would be thrilled to hear from other mamas also.

Head covering Pagan-Quaker mama to 6yo DS, and DH. Recent WAHM www.napleshealthadvisers.com
Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM

I have moved this over to spirituality. Please let me know if you have any questions.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM

Hi! DH has been a friend for years. We're definitely of the liberal variety. I know the UU bookstore online has a lot of kid/family focused books that would be compatible with the Quaker worldview. I haven't read it yet, but have "non-violent communication" on my "to read" list.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM

hey there, we're 'friends' in Atlanta. Though we haven't been to a meeting in weeeeeeks.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM

one of the best resource lists i know is the Quakerbooks of FGC bookstore. the online catalog has many subcategories, and you'll find a lot of the titles in your library. for example, there are many picture books for teaching Quaker beliefs. also good resources there for adult reading and reflection.

also great book lists at the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Library. they are organized by theme, for example "conflict resolution: children" and "environment: children"

if you had a specific topic or age you need ideas for, i would be glad to help. i have been attending an unprogrammed Friends meeting for ten years now (though in the past year i have been also attending a masjid and immersed in Islam....a long story for another thread ).

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM

I have two books on Quaker parenting. "One Small Plot of Heaven" by Elise Boulding and "Paths to Quaker Parenting." I bought them both on Amazon, but I'm sure QuakerBooks has them as well.

One non-Quaker specific but great book that I discovered over the summer is the NVC-based "Respectful Parents. Respectful Kids." There are so many great activities and ideas in it.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 09-26-2010, 04:33 AM

hi subbing

i'm a pagan but actively seeking truth in other religions. I've been very active in a UU church this last year but have wanted to explore quakerism more. I've been unable due to an unprogramed service + 3 yr old just don't work.
from what i've read i could easily identify as quaker as well DS is with grandma so my first meeting will be tomorrow !

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

User Tag List