Catholic converts: am I crazy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 09-18-2010, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP I'm in the same boat! I CANNOT believe that I want to convert. Honestly, I'm really scared (and happy)

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#32 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well ladies, I think I have gotten up my nerve to go to the RCIA class tomorrow evening. I missed the first one (they are every other week) but I will talk to whoever is in charge and ask if I can join in anyway. Wish me luck!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#33 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post
Well ladies, I think I have gotten up my nerve to go to the RCIA class tomorrow evening. I missed the first one (they are every other week) but I will talk to whoever is in charge and ask if I can join in anyway. Wish me luck!

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#34 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos;15860569 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************15860 569******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Are you really in the country mentioned under your name? If so, you absolutely can go, even though you did not go the first time. Please PM, if you feel like it, I think I could be of some help to you. (There is a mothers' group you could join if you are anywhere near the capital region. Mostly very AP-minded mamas.)

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#35 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I am, Anumaria! I'm American but I've been living here 6 years. Was wondering actually if you were here based on your username. I will PM!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#36 of 47 Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM

Have you considered Eastern Orthodoxy?
#37 of 47 Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
Have you considered Eastern Orthodoxy?
Did you read any of the other replies in this thread before posting?!

#38 of 47 Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

OP, hope the speaker was someone that did not make you fall asleep.

I kept on thinking about your situation, and had to go study a bit. You might be interested in this link:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=28095

It is apparently not very hard at all to marry even a non-christian in the Church, if both parties so choose.

Anyway.... Good luck on your journey, wherever it takes you!

#39 of 47 Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

I kept on thinking about your situation, and had to go study a bit. You might be interested in this link:

It is apparently not very hard at all to marry even a non-Christian in the Church, if both parties so choose. And if both persons have been baptized, no matter what one believes now, it should be even easier. Assuming both were willing to get married in the Church, that is.

#40 of 47 Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria View Post

It is apparently not very hard at all to marry even a non-Christian in the Church, if both parties so choose. And if both persons have been baptized, no matter what one believes now, it should be even easier. Assuming both were willing to get married in the Church, that is.

Thank you!

#41 of 47 Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:

You have to get a dispensation from the Bishop. My marriage was convalidated before I entered the Church and my husband is non-Christian and not baptized. It is my understanding that we have a valid marriage but not a sacramental one. It is definitely possible, actually required that your marriage be valid prior to confirmation.

#42 of 47 Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG580
You have to get a dispensation from the Bishop. My marriage was convalidated before I entered the Church and my husband is non-Christian and not baptized. It is my understanding that we have a valid marriage but not a sacramental one. It is definitely possible, actually required that your marriage be valid prior to confirmation.
Yes... but what I was thinking of is the interesting situation where someone has been baptized but no longer considers oneself a Christian. And, at least here, the dispensation is just a piece of paper, IYKWIM. I don't know of anyone that has been denied it.

#43 of 47 Old 09-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes... but what I was thinking of is the interesting situation where someone has been baptized but no longer considers oneself a Christian. And, at least here, the dispensation is just a piece of paper, IYKWIM. I don't know of anyone that has been denied it.
That is a weird situation. It would still be a sacramental marriage, but the person wouldn't believe it was!

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#44 of 47 Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
That is a weird situation. It would still be a sacramental marriage, but the person wouldn't believe it was!
Weird indeed! But it would be what would happen if I converted to Catholicism and got my courthouse marriage with my baptized-Lutheran-but-now-atheist husband validated by the Church.

#45 of 47 Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Weird indeed! But it would be what would happen if I converted to Catholicism and got my courthouse marriage with my baptized-Lutheran-but-now-atheist husband validated by the Church.
If you weren't baptized Catholic, or didn't become Catholic at any point before, there is no need to have this convalidated. If you and your husband are both baptized, it is assumed to be a valid sacramental marriage, even if it was done in a courthouse.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#46 of 47 Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
If you weren't baptized Catholic, or didn't become Catholic at any point before, there is no need to have this convalidated. If you and your husband are both baptized, it is assumed to be a valid sacramental marriage, even if it was done in a courthouse.
Sigh, how nice and easy that would be! But I'm not baptized unfortunately.

#47 of 47 Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM

If you haven't already I'd advise you to join the board at:

http://forums.catholic-convert.com

oodles of knowledge, majority of posters are converts including one priest. There is even a poster from Finland which I think would be helpful to you considering the extremely small number of Finnish Catholics let alone Finnish converts.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page