Candle Magick, A Thread to Learn and Grow through Candle Lighting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know about you, but i love candles. I have pretty colored ones, scented (natural scents), unscented, tall, short, homemade, store bought, I just love them.

In the last few years I have begun to understand what ways candles can be used to bring magick in our life. While at the thrift store I found a small book, Practical CandleBurning Rituals. In the book their are spells/rituals that have accompanying bible verses to read before beginning your ritual but it also has rituals broken into step by step directions.

As a pagan, I have found this book very helpful and insightful, even though for me, the scriptures aren't necessary.

In the book they give a color candle to each day of the week-
Sunday- Yellow
Monday- White
Tuesday-Red
Wednesday- Purple
Thursday-Blue
Friday- Green
Saturday- Black

Before we get into the symbolism of the colors, I thought we would reflect on the color and day.

Today is Monday, so I will light a white candle. In our house Mondays can be rough, we have had a very busy weekend, daddy heads back to work and there are many chores to be accomplished. We also homeschool, so we have some work to do before we can do other things for the day. We are usually tired, slightly grumpy and general slow moving on Monday.
Reflecting on the color for today- White-, what does the color offer to us? How can the color help us change our attitude for the day?

This is what we will reflect on, and then we can discuss what we might do to recharge our Mondays.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Does anyone know where to buy soy candles with cotton wicks that are scented with natural ingredients? (unscented, but colored is ok, too)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This topic is interesting....

I converted to Catholicism over a decade ago, and always loved the practice of lighting candles while praying in older Catholic churches.

I've become more interested in pagan practices in the last couple of years. One thing I do, suggested by Ellen Dugan, is write an intention on a scrap of paper, pop it into the metal base of a tea light under the candle, light the tea light candle, and let it burn down till it goes out to "seal the spell." I don't have colored candles, but I *do* have a lot of tea lights. I could try using colored paper under the tea lights? Or different colored ribbons around or holders for my beeswax pillar candle?

I've seen colors referred to in some books, but have never much worked with them. Whenever I think of buying some, I get a little anxious about colored dyes, etc....part of me feels that I should be making my own candles -- I actually have some wicking and local beeswax that I've been meaning to do something with.

ETA - why are you looking for that particular kind of candle, DoK? I assume soy because it is vegan and natural ingredients for health/allergy reasons? Personally, I cannot bear most scented candles, or scented products of any kind, so that limits my candle options.

Over the summer, I found myself at a used book sale in the basement of a museum in the mountains and found an antique pamphlet, dated 1942 by one Henri Gamache, called The Master Book of Candle Burning

A Wiki article puts this book in the tradition of African American hoodoo folk magic - something I've heard of but don't know much about. The rituals involve bible verses, colored candles, astrology and carefully laid-out altars. I haven't read it carefully, yet, but it is quite different from modern magick books I've read. I found an interesting article online that discusses this tradition

Gamache lays out the days of the week with candle colors and they are the same as you list, Aeress. I assume that the author of the Practical Candleburning Rituals may have used this pamphlet as a source? I'd love to get a copy of that book! Sorry for geeking out about this, but I find it interesting, and very cool that the candle colors are working for you.

To get back on topic in the thread -

White -- means a clean slate for me, new beginnings, a clean page to write on, a freshly primed canvas to paint on, the purity of fresh raw milk....

And my Mondays definitely need recharging. Especially today, oh, do they ever.

Someone up from a nap, going to post this and come back later.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Candles- I buy some of my beeswax candles locally, and some from Etsy. I also buy beeswax and use tealights to make candles. I use a metal cookie cutter, like a star, and out the tea light in the middle. I melt the beeswax and pour it around the tea light. If I put a little wax around the outside of the cookie cutter, it keeps the wax from going all over.

I try to keep burning for smell candles as my everyday candles and then I have ritual candles. I also burn incense on occasion. The incense I use to cleanse and clear a room.

I like the idea of reflecting on the day and lighting a naturally colored candle.

I also use herbs under tealights, to burn when I am trying to send intention.

I like the idea of sealing thoughts, wishes etc into the tea lights.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Candle magick is a love of mine. I remember first dabbling (when I was oh so young & naive!) with lighting candles over pictures of friends when they were in need. so many pictures wrecked that way... and how I just didn't get it back then.

I love the color of the day concept - hmm in looking at the week it reminds me almost of a sunrise to sunset idea.

Today is purple and purple has struck me as powerful, royal, lofty, commanding, thoughtful.

I've been tinkering with the idea of candle making for a while... maybe I'll put it on my fall list of things to learn.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 PM

i need this thread! i also need to geroffmyrear and find some good candles.

i've not been in a happy candle place lately! my faves always get discontinued.... i used to get awesome soy wax natural oil candles at whole foods. they no longer carry the line, i think it went "under," alas. i can get palm candles at the co-op here, but i dont lurve them. there is this awesome lady who does food grade wax candles where we just moved from.... i'm thinking of ordering a box from her.... maybe for my birthday.

User Tag List