Traditional Catholic Moms Fall 2010 chat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 133 Old 09-20-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought I would start the thread on time instead of half way through the season.

Heidi
#2 of 133 Old 09-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there! I am a Catholic Mama. Trying to get back into the swing of going to mass every week at our small parish with no other kiddos. DH used to work on weekends, but now that he doesn't and the boys are getting older (7, 5, 2.5), we really want to get back into it.
#3 of 133 Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good luck with getting in the swing of going to mass again.

Heidi
#4 of 133 Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Hi ladies! Just subbing the new thread.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#5 of 133 Old 09-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Just checking in, RCIA is going great and I'm thrilled with the group I'm in.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site for Catholic bumper stickers. I saw some wonderful ones on the cars in the parish parking lot and now I want some. I saw one that says " I'm grateful for the 1000's of good priests "
#6 of 133 Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM

#7 of 133 Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks P&L, I hadn't seen christianshirts before, lots of good ones on there
#8 of 133 Old 09-21-2010, 09:08 AM

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Catholic to the max has some neat car window decals, too.
#9 of 133 Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 AM

Oh, I hit reply too fast. Has anyone done the Mary Undoer of Knots novena? I've heard a lot of great things about it, I bought one and hope to start it soon.
#10 of 133 Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Just subbing ckberkey, good luck in getting back into a regular schedule of attending Mass. I haven't been in a few weeks (birth, c/s recovery) and I'm really missing it even though we are doing readings at home... husband takes the older kids, but I haven't even been to our new church yet.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#11 of 133 Old 09-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Hello all, hope you are having a blessed day!

So on Monday we are doing a Rosary for Life outside of the new PP clinic opening in our city, they are having a ribbon-cutting ceremony and we want to make sure our presence is felt.

I am going with my baby and trying to think of a sign I could make. We want to keep it positive and loving, nothing graphic or confrontational. Thoughts?

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#12 of 133 Old 09-25-2010, 05:01 PM

I think one of the bumper stickers in the links would make a great sign. Choose Life, Your Mom Did.
#13 of 133 Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 AM

Choose Life or life is worth choosing are always good ones.

Latin Mass today!
#14 of 133 Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
JMJ

I've seen families with children make signs that say "former fetus" and wear them around their necks.
#15 of 133 Old 09-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Happy to be back home - in the Roman Catholic Church. Our Lord is truely awesome - after weeks and weeks of being a Lutheran he showed me in this short period of time the beauty of our faith and has brought me back home.

breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, NFP using, Christian Momma of two
#16 of 133 Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Welcome back home dirndl!

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#17 of 133 Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 AM

For years my grandparents gave each newly married couple a beautiful Crucifix for their wedding gift. When DH and I got married my grandmother was no longer with us so my aunt and uncle gave us a crucifix from the same company. The figure of Jesus is the same but the way that He is painted is not. I believe that all current Crucifixes of this size and from this company are painted like ours is.... a new version.

My mom and her sisters lovingly refer to his new version and the "Scary Crucifix". It's the the most eye appealing because it is VERY bloody. and his body is one solid peachy color. His loin cloth is stark white. Yea, I know that Jesus was very "bloody" in real life. but the old version just looks better.

I was recently given my grandparents Crucifix.....the non "scary" one. My mom said that I should bury our wedding Crucifix.... no one likes looking at it.

What would you do with it? Bury it? Hang it in a less prominent place?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#18 of 133 Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoremybabe View Post
For years my grandparents gave each newly married couple a beautiful Crucifix for their wedding gift. When DH and I got married my grandmother was no longer with us so my aunt and uncle gave us a crucifix from the same company. The figure of Jesus is the same but the way that He is painted is not. I believe that all current Crucifixes of this size and from this company are painted like ours is.... a new version.

My mom and her sisters lovingly refer to his new version and the "Scary Crucifix". It's the the most eye appealing because it is VERY bloody. and his body is one solid peachy color. His loin cloth is stark white. Yea, I know that Jesus was very "bloody" in real life. but the old version just looks better.

I was recently given my grandparents Crucifix.....the non "scary" one. My mom said that I should bury our wedding Crucifix.... no one likes looking at it.

What would you do with it? Bury it? Hang it in a less prominent place?
Technically speaking, if it hasn't been blessed or anything you can just dispose of it. Blessed objects are typically buried, burned, or broken and then disposed of.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#19 of 133 Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Welcome back dirndl!

adoremybabe, I'd probably just hang it in a less prominent place.
#20 of 133 Old 10-01-2010, 10:03 AM

http://www.hawaiicatholicherald.com/...0/Default.aspx

Quote:
The first guide is that when the nature of a blessed item is destroyed it is no longer blessed. When blessed candles, for example, are cut up, they are no longer candles, no longer blessed.

The same applies to other blessed articles. Unless one owns a warehouse, there’s a limit to how many crucifixes, statues, rosaries and holy pictures one can accumulate over the years. When they no longer have a use, it is proper to break or tear them and then discard them.

The church’s purpose in encouraging these sacramentals is to increase our faith and assist our spirit of prayer and devotion. When they have served that purpose, there’s no irreverence in disposing of them appropriately.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#21 of 133 Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome! It sure feels good, to know where I belong ...

breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, NFP using, Christian Momma of two
#22 of 133 Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 PM

Hello Everybody!!!
Have really gotten back to my faith in the last year. Brought DD to CCD today. The Sister that was running the program came up to me and asked/told me that she needed ME to teach 4th grade. I am a Catechism TEACHER!?!??!
Only my Dh understands...so I hope someone here understands how amazing this is. Thanks for letting me share!

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#23 of 133 Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 PM

congrats GothNurse!

And welcome back home!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#24 of 133 Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Hi! Just checking in to the new thread.

Does anyone have any ideas for All Saints day costumes that are inexpensive and easy (don't require sewing, etc.)? This would be a costume for my 5-year-old boy.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#25 of 133 Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest View Post
Hi! Just checking in to the new thread.

Does anyone have any ideas for All Saints day costumes that are inexpensive and easy (don't require sewing, etc.)? This would be a costume for my 5-year-old boy.
You can make a pretty passable St. Michael with nothing more than a white t-shirt, cardboard, and foil.
If you want to go for the armor, just use a white t-shirt and jeans or blank pants underneath. Wings aren't needed, but could be fun. A good costume shop will have nice ones that aren't too spendy, but can always be saved for future All Saints days.

other ideas:
Saint Michael the Archangel Halloween costume
Costume Ideas for All Saints Day

#26 of 133 Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 PM

Thank you, P&L...those links were very helpful. Tonight my kids were running through the house and I noticed my son was wearing my brown hooded cardigan and it was pretty big on him. So I stopped him, zipped it up and folded the sleeves a little, and by golly I think I can make it work as a Franciscan robe!

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#27 of 133 Old 10-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest View Post
Thank you, P&L...those links were very helpful. Tonight my kids were running through the house and I noticed my son was wearing my brown hooded cardigan and it was pretty big on him. So I stopped him, zipped it up and folded the sleeves a little, and by golly I think I can make it work as a Franciscan robe!
Yay for St. Francis!!!

#28 of 133 Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 AM

It is very nice to see a Catholic discussion, makes me feel at home I have recently been able to go back to Mass because of not working every single weekend anymore and IT FEELS GREAT!

Nina, wife to Michael , mama to DD1, DS1, and DS2, and "Bub" to
DD2
#29 of 133 Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 PM

please pray for my dh and myself. We are really struggling right now. I feel very strongly we should be using nfp. Dh wants to use condoms. He sais that by refusing to use condoms I am holding him hostage (basically bcs he can't dtd whenever he wants). I feel strongly that bc is not ok and not ok for our family. I would also like to have another baby, especially after the loss of Emeric. Earlier in the week he said he didn't think he could stay married to me if we continued to use NFP and last night he said that he would just go and get the vaccectomy so I would see how it feels not to be a part of the decision. He sais he is going to leave the catholic church (I told him that wouldn't change anything bcs I would still be catholic and regardless if I was I would still have these beliefs). I have had strong messages from God and the blessed mother (I belieive) that we are to have more children and just trust in them. Dh doesn't want to hear it. We were up until 3am and my ds1 got up and took care of the kids this morning and has done a great job. So I just woke up and we missed mass. We would have to be leaving now for the latest service.
Please pray for us during this hard time, that we can come to some kind of agreement, so we can both stop being in so much pain in regards to this issue.
This is really wearing on my marriage

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#30 of 133 Old 10-10-2010, 04:31 PM

I have no words of wisdom for you theboysmama, other than that I shall keep you in my prayers.

I guess it would be wrong to say let him use the condoms or get the vasectomy- they would be his sins, and not yours- but we get married in order to help lead our spouses to heaven.

Why is he upset about NFP? Because he can't dtd whenever he wants? Is he equating sex with love? Is he unsure about having more children because of the loss of your child? It is possible that he is venting his sadness and anger through being angry at NFP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page