Catholics, Baptism and Godparents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
this question popped into my head on another thread but I did not want to derail....

But I was wondering if Godparents could be named after the baptism if there was not time to choose them at the time of the baptism. For example: My friends little daughter was born with a birth defect and was rushed into surgery soon after the birth. There must not have been time to get a priest there because Daddy did a quicky baptism right before they took her for her surgery (This is not allowable in my tradition but it melts my heart just thinking about how sweet that is ) and there are no shortage of priests here. it was a Catholic hospital for crying out loud, so everything must have happened REALLY fast. SOOOOOO, that brings me to the question....in an event like that would godparents be named later? if so is there any sort of special thing they must to be official or are they just unceremoniously dubbed "the godparents".

Just curious.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This happened to my Godson, also. They ended up having a blessing of some kind later in church, with the godparents present. It is also possible to have a baptism even without the Godparents present, if they live too far away or something. Rare but possible.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria View Post
This happened to my Godson, also. They ended up having a blessing of some kind later in church, with the godparents present. It is also possible to have a baptism even without the Godparents present, if they live too far away or something. Rare but possible.
Actually, it isn't all that rare, with families so widespread in today's culture. And you can have proxies stand in for the ritual, and/or a "Christian Sponsor" (though it is preferable to have at least one Catholic godparent).

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Actually, it isn't all that rare, with families so widespread in today's culture. And you can have proxies stand in for the ritual, and/or a "Christian Sponsor" (though it is preferable to have at least one Catholic godparent).
Yep, exactly right.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List