~*~ October Pagan Families Circle ~*~ - Page 22 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy Halloween! Blessed Samhain!

Super duper busy today running errands and trying to avoid the side of town near the stadium - university football game today and it totally clogs up the streets.

Clay - hugs! I too hate being told that I need a break. I get overwhelmed traveling. I do like to spend time alone but would not at all have been ready to be overnight-separated from a youngling like yours is now. I probably would have had the same reaction. On the other hand, that would have demonstrated that we needed a break.

(Dh just realized that we really only took 4 whole days off from work since January. Yowsa. So we stayed home yesterday - not that he didn't work, of course - he just didn't do as much work.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
Healing- I am wondering if I might have an ulcer? I have had a general burning sensation in my lower stomach, it doesn't hurt, and it feels like when I had an ulcer in college. I am looking for some natural healing before I head to the dr.
Marshmallow root, licorice root, slippery elm, aloe vera - pretty much anything mucilaginous would be good and soothing for ulcers. You probably also want to consider bitters (dandelion leaf/root) to boost your digestive fire so that you can increase the nutrients that you are digesting and then absorbing. Here is a nice summary to get you started: http://www.herbs2000.com/disorders/ulcers_stomach.htm

and more thoughts on chores... we never called them chores. they are responsibilities. the other side is that one also has privileges.

aweyn: also look for attenborough's "Sexual Encounters of the Floral Kind" -- THAT is the movie we used to use. i found at least some parts on youtube.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5th Sacred Thing- the Melissa was a sort of bee focused society (and the name for each member of the society). The idea is that the book is set in a near/far future in which a lot has changed. Resources are very limited, and some populations don't have access to much in the way or medicine/food/technology. At the same time, there is a great deal more magic and functional magic (computers that store data using crystals that talk to those with certain gifts, etc). Anyway, the Melissas are women who have essentially submersed themselves in the bee collective/hive society. They provide services to the bees as well as to the scattered human populations. Kind of like, oh, bee shamans? They are no longer fully human... they're a sort of bridge, able to call bees, speak with them, create nectars that allow communication between the species or that treat specific illnesses. Stuff like that. One of the primary characters in the book becomes an "almost" Melissa... she is given gifts by the Melissas but keeps her humanity intact so that she can travel/remain active in the human world.

Travel- yeah, it's two seperate issues... my MIL gave us this "cycle" of her time share. It's a full week, studio apt, in a sort of summer vacation town. But the "cycle" is in November sooooo.... most things are closed. It should be a nice, quiet, relaxing break from normal life. Except we weren't expecting it, we have to leave next week, we have no money to pay for travel stuff (like gas to get there/back... it's an 8 hour drive... or food once we're there, especially since we have to stay gluten free for Laia so no eating out/fast food). We also don't have anyone here who can take care of the cat or the chickens, and no money to hire a one week farm hand. DH scrambled to get the week off and honestly, I just don't want to go. If we have a week off I want to spend it here, getting stuff done! It also annoys me that he found a way to accept this week vacation gift but never takes time off when I ask him... Pennsic was our first vacation of more than a long weekend in nearly 5 years.

And then there is the other element. DH thought maybe I'd want to stay here at the house while he took the three kiddos for the week. Torin is 14mo and nurses a lot (8-9 times a day and then all night long), he's never been away from me for more than a few hours. I can't imagine sending him away for a WHOLE WEEK. One, I'd probably get mastitis again and two... dear gods, I can't imagine anyone thinking that seperating a nursing 14mo from his mama for a week would be relaxing/healthy for anyone involved. It's one thing if you have to, but just "because"? And given that DH has been so scattered recently and Tor has taken the brunt of that (the scalding tea, the kitchen knife, a massive bleeding head bump the DH didn't notice, diapers unchanged for hours, etc), and Ro pushes DH's button with amazing skill leading to her melting down and him losing his temper in spectacular ways? I'd spend any time apart absolutely terrified that something would happen.

He felt like a week without the kiddos would be relaxing for me, and help me de-stress. I told him the only way it would work would be if we had rooms in the same hotel... I'd spend the day sleeping and eating room service and watching tv and he could bring the kids in to hug/nurse every few hours. Especially since I HATE being alone in this house. I completely freak out, turn on all the lights, and can't sleep at all. So even if the kiddos were all older and ok with mom being absent (keeping in mind that the only time I've been away from the kiddos over night was during birth, and even then they came to visit in the hospital during the days)... I wouldn't be ok unless I was someplace I enjoyed... like a busy hotel with lots of stuff going on at all hours, or a spa where it's calm and meditative but still filled with people. Alone in a cabin in the woods with the snow coming on? Not so much.

I have no problem being told I need a break... heck, I've been asking for a break for a while! So I can (intellectually) see how DH had this brainstorm. It makes total sense. He really thought that this out of the blue gift from his mom would be the perfect time to get the kids out of my hair for a bit while providing cat/chicken care at the same time. He just didn't think it through. And he really didn't expect me to collapse in a puddle of tears! We just need to figure something else out. When I was fighting through PPD/PTSD after the birth of dd1 breastfeeding was the only thing that kept me going. Breastfeeding (despite the thrush and mastitis this time round) is kind of the only thing I feel like I "do well" in terms of being a good mother. Sure... I craft with the kiddos, and make meals, and all that... but breastfeeding has been rocky but do-able. No questions asked. I can do it, I do do it, it's good for everyone, I rock! So to be told "forget it, we'll just wean Torin because you're stressed"... it felt like I was being told "give up the easy stuff and just relax with the hard stuff you have left". Not what he wanted to say of course, but that's how I heard/felt it, you know?

Sigh... we'll figure something out. We always do! And sorry to be a Saturday downer. There must be something in the air!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 10-30-2010, 07:39 PM

Fly by

Valérie   
Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 PM

thanks for all the tips etc. Yeah, I had to get on DH about emptying out the vacuum, outside, every time. And we've taped a flea collar onside the canister.
But more adventures ensue as DH accidentally threw out the vacuum filter and we can't find a new one around here. Looks like we need to order and rush ship it-still means not being able to vacuum for a few days, just what we needed.
We are looking for a non-toxic service, I am done messing around. I found another one on one of my boobs this morning. Yesterday I narrowly avoided a panic attack about the whole mess. I've seen them twice on DD, many times on myself, and DH, DS and I have bites(DH's are the worst, bugs seem to love him).

Maia-thanks for the tip about switching. Unfortunately I called our vet a few days ago and they told me to reapply Frontline, which seems to not have worked, and now we'll have to wait a few weeks before trying something else.

BLAH BLAH POOP POOP POOP!! NOT the way to start the new year and the new baby!!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 PM

wombatclay . Do you think you could get DH to stay home and accomplish projects for the week that he took off work? I wouldn't be worried about hurting MIL's feelings by declining the week. If she questions it, just tell her what you told us. I think a momma being stressed about what her littles are doing would be way worse than just staying home for a week with DH available to help. I hear you about the night time stress too. I lock the doors, check them, and then lock my bedroom door just to be safe, and I still toss and turn all night.

Married to my loving DH superhero.gif, becoming more and more "crunchy" with age. 
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM

clay: i so get where you are coming from. although no one has yet ever offered us a week away people have suggested i wean when i am stressed, OR offer to take my big kids and leave me with not just a baby but a toddler. lol like that doesn't help! i need the big ones here to get me water and stuff. i think, like you said, your dh's heart was in the right place... i just don't think men sometimes get it. that is something my husband would do, and not get why i was a complete mess afterwards.

aweyn: I would so LOVE that.

well i got my hairs cut. nothing fancy. just had them cut off about 8-10 inches so my hair is just above my shoulders. i was going to do bangs, but i wasn't sure so i didn't. lol i can always do that at home. now i am toying with coloring my hair. i like it when it is reddish, so maybe...

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I cried for an hour or two and am still a mess. Swollen eyes, stomach upset, headache, the works. It was something dumb, and dh had actually meant it as a suggestion that might make my life easier but dang... it was just about the worst thing to say, and kind of the worste moment. It just shook me to my core and crumble bumble mushy melt.
Aww, Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
ok, so, do i have to go read 5th sacred thing, or can someone just say something about it?
Read it. It's a good read all the way 'round! And the sequel (prequel) Walking to Mercury. What Clay said, it's not the whole theme of the book; it's just a part of it, but a really powerful, cool part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
And sorry to be a Saturday downer. There must be something in the air!
You're not. Clay, we all need friends to dump and vent on. That's what we're here for, mama! You have more on your plate than the rest of us put together, and you handle it all with grace and dignity. It's actually about time you fizzled, and it sounds like you needed a good cry Hang in there, OK? We all love you

M struggled tonight for a time, but he found tools and used them and he's sober
Day at a time, right?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post
Maia-thanks for the tip about switching. Unfortunately I called our vet a few days ago and they told me to reapply Frontline, which seems to not have worked, and now we'll have to wait a few weeks before trying something else.
Oh--- I didn't even think about stuff you apply TO the pet. We didn't have a pet at the time. We were taking care of someone else's cat (she was temporarily homeless), and I hated that cat, so I made it stay outside all the time.
There were woods behind our cabin and we got WAY, way infested with fleas. Tiny vacation cabin that we lived in off-season. One room and one bedroom and one bathroom, and wood floors, and we had so many fleas that the vet told me I'd better do something and soon, or I'd be hospitalized, for all the flea bites I had.
We bombed, we sprayed, we did everything we could think of, and still we had fleas. It took weeks and a ton of money,and lots of benadryl for me, before they got gone. It was horrible.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 PM

Fleas-We sprinkled dried mint on everything and let it sit overnight and vaccumed it up the next day. (Plus adding garlic to the dogs diet)
We use a natural spray that has neem (sp?) oil in it. So far so good. These might help.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
cari, HUZZAH!!!!
Ty I have another random update too.. and it's something GOOD so I have to share! We were hanging out at MIL's today after the kids swim lesson and she told us after christmas she is replacing their mattress with a memory foam jobby... and offered us their current mattress, which is only a couple of years old (and very $$$ so excellent quality). SO we do not have to stress about saving the money to buy another one

Quote:
i need toilet help, my cunning home-wise ladies-- ours get disgusting within a day of cleaning them! i cant find a "problem" plumbing wise, so i guess it's just gross....
Ew The one the men/body use, is just atrocious here. I had to have daim take the whole seat off and scrub it in a tea tree oil solution to get rid of the ICK! I'm going to have him do that monthly, and hopefully combined with my regular wiping things down routine will keep it decent. Our big problem? The heat here causes the water in the traps of the plumbing to EVAPORATE... you will walk into the bathrooms and be hit in the face with sewer gas smell Cue water wastage... ALL taps ON to fill those suckers up

Quote:
i need more time for all i need to get done! gak! we went apple picking yesterday-- my first time picking grannie smiths, and i have to say, i think it's my new favorite picking experience. there was something *extra magical* about them, and i was of course, thinking of all my fellow avalon-lovers..... !
Lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post

Fly by

Hey hun, hope you are well!

I spent my Beltaine visiting family, the hitting the garden centre and picking up some seedlings (bok choi, cucumber, sugar snap peas, watermelon and rockmelon/cantaloupe) and planting them out in the veggie patch Then I had a GLORIOUS nap

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 PM

a drive by today... Happy Samhain to all and Happy Halloween!!

NMM - sending flea be-gone vibes

Clay - sending you a HUGE hug and some love m'dear. You are/were not a Saturday downer by any means!!! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts today wrapped up in a bubble of light and joy!

First is breakfast with french toast/ strawberries & whip for the boys. Then we're off to carve our pumpkins, slap on some costumes (I'm going as the full moon/night sky!) and t & t today!!

Love to everyone !

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 10-31-2010, 02:58 PM

clay -- I hope things look easier today. I'm so sorry to hear that the thrush is still an issue. Is it improving, at least? If it were my family in that situation, I'd definitely be wanting to take the week off and stay home rather than traveling. And bf was definitely a parenting tool I couldn't've stood to lose while my babies were young toddlers! Oh, my.

Happy Samhain! Happy Halloween!

Sunny day, got lots of housework to do to get ready for the trick-or-treat time....just realized that we won't be doing a lot of Dia de los muertos stuff during the day tomorrow because we are going to our new library opening My family practically *lives* at the library and this is going to be huge for us. I'll have to look for a copy of Fifth Sacred Thing, sounds like my kind of book. Fortunately the weather is nice for it -a ceremony and walk to the library- we'll be outside most of the morning.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:41 PM

Popping on quickly to wish you all a Happy Halloween and Blessed Samhain.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 10-31-2010, 07:04 PM

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u...urrent=043.jpg

Here is my boy being our forum's favorite eye-candy for Halloween

Old 10-31-2010, 07:58 PM

Maia- he has the serious face just like our favorite eye candy.

Happy Samhain!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM

Happy Samhain!!!

Married to my loving DH superhero.gif, becoming more and more "crunchy" with age. 
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 PM

Happy and blessed Samhain!!

Clay-stupid "advice" to wean! Why don't people know anything about breastfeeding in this country. That would just make it MORE likely for you to go into a depression! How annoying.
Maia-that is just WAY WAY too awesome and adorable!!
Cari-Ew ew ew!!

New Year's resolution for me: be more positive, less negative! Look for the silver lining!!
So, having to treat our home for fleas? It will entail a deep and total cleaning of our apartment. I am anal about cleaning so that's awesome. And the treatment(which is totally non-toxic) will guard against some other insects. Last winter we had quite the ant problem after a long, cold storm.

love and light
Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

*swoon*

i did get a picture of my little jawa boy, but he was so tired from hockey practice this afternoon that he didn't want to go out. he was a bit worried that the halloween fairy wouldn't come to our house ("does she always visit?" "well, she always visits our house") because he didn't go out trick-or-treating and didn't have any candy to leave for her.

stickers, magnets and activity books were big hits. overheard: "hey mom! they give out STICKERS at this house! cool!" (mom's response was something like "hey, that's a neat idea") so i'm feeling pretty good about a candy-free halloween.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 11-01-2010, 02:10 AM

had a great samhain/halloween. BIL and his kids came over, MIL came and so did dd's friend. the men folk took all the kids and teenagers TOT. before everyone got loaded up on candy i fed them a nice hearty dinner. so when they came back everyone actually didn't eat but a couple pieces of candy.

some weirdness from MIL. i do love her and feel like i totally lucked out in the MIL department but sometimes she can say some whacky stuff. she told ds#1 when he said he wanted to take bagpipe lessons "why on earth would you want to do that?" with that sort of grossed out tone. sorta forgetting that my whole family is almost completely scottish AND their family is at least 1/2 irish! lol ds#1 actually wants to learn because of this new sort of music style he is working on. but even if he wasn't why would you say that? ugh. then she said to me "well now that you have insurance which hospital are you going to have the baby in?" we are having this one UC just like Rowan. but three of the 5 so far have been born at home and the other two at a birth center. we have done that not cuz we didn't have insurance, but because i won't go to a hospital. not that i have issues with anyone who chooses that, i just choose home and i prefer UC. it isn't like i haven't talked about it enough. and we usually have insurance (you know here and there thru out the years we might have not had it, but usually we do). it is just weird, cuz i have total her many time why i prefer being at home. it is sorta like when we were vegetarians and she would always send me meat coupons (like we weren't eating meat cuz i couldn't afford it... not that she sent us grassfed beef coupons, just like oscar mayer meat coupons. lol) and make us meat sandwiches, and make porkchops etc it made me crazy, no matter what i said she would do it. she is never nasty about it and i would say 80% of the time she and i see eye to eye on so much stuff... just this weird little stuff she does makes me NUTS! lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 AM

A "strange but true" story I just learned:

My DS is C.C. (initials). His first friend and very close buddy is B.B. BB & CC are 3 weeks apart in age (nearly 3). BB was born on CC's due date. CC was born on BB's due date. BB's mom & I had the same OB. She was induced b/c OB feared BB was well over 8 lbs or more at 38 weeks. OB predicted CC was "maybe 7 lbs." BB was 7 lbs 3 oz. CC was 8 lbs 3 oz. Their first names both refer to bears. Was there some cosmic switcheroo?

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 AM

that is wacky!

h

Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
A "strange but true" story I just learned:

My DS is C.C. (initials). His first friend and very close buddy is B.B. BB & CC are 3 weeks apart in age (nearly 3). BB was born on CC's due date. CC was born on BB's due date. BB's mom & I had the same OB. She was induced b/c OB feared BB was well over 8 lbs or more at 38 weeks. OB predicted CC was "maybe 7 lbs." BB was 7 lbs 3 oz. CC was 8 lbs 3 oz. Their first names both refer to bears. Was there some cosmic switcheroo?
Ok.. that is just WEIRD!

New thread is up mamas!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe

User Tag List