introducing "more religion" to the family - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we are Christian but have not attended church since shortly after the birth of our first child almost 6 years ago...for various reasons but mostly b/c i didn't want to leave kids in the nursery and didn't feel comfortable with them in the service, so we just kinda dropped out.
we want to return but still are hesitant with a 6yo, 3yo, and 5 week old....so my thinking is just trying to introduce "more religion" (for lack of a better term) in the home, but i don't know what to do. we say grace before dinner and two fridays a month, the kids go to "mission friends" at a local baptist church (we're united methodists). i just don't think they "get" the whole thing...and i'm at a loss as to where to begin. so many of the kids in the mission friends group seem to "get" that "God made this" and "Jesus does that", and so forth. My kids just look blank.
Any advice on where to begin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Honestly...do you do TV? Veggie tales are awesome, even people who aren't christian like them.

Also, I would just read to them. There are lots of great adaptations of bible stories, or you could just read the bible.

That's where I'd start at home.

I keep my son with me during service. Once its too much we step out sometimes I go with him to kids room, sometimes we leave. He really enjoys the singing, your kids probably will too and that's just the beginning part of the service for most churches (followed by sermon and some singing at end). Also, if you want to try church my old church had little totes with coloring books and crayons for quiet kids to stay with parents. No body minded kids being taken out if they go loud.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#3 of 5 Old 10-24-2010, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The best advice I got was to not worry about including my kids. Just get my stuff together. Pray. read scripture. DO it where the kids could see me but don't worry about them participating. While praying pray for my kids and my family. If you want your kids to
"get it" start by praying for God to reveal Himself to them. Also as they see God being a part of your life they will understand more how He is a part of theirs.

Start a whole bedtime routine including scripture reading, prayer or reading a Bible story. You don't need to do it all at once. Just slide in one little thing.

Go to church regularly. Its not too much to do with three kids. I did it alone. It is especially easy at churches with good childrens programs and nurseries. n If you can't make it through the whole service go late, sit in the back and gradually increase the time but definitely go.

Add a few CDs with songs about God and Jesus and the Bible. Add a few good books into your rotation (I like Arch books. They are short sweet, fun and cheap. I am kinda biased though. My GrandpaGreat writes for them )

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 5 Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Add Bible stories into bedtime routine?

I had a hard time doing that (being disorganized) but that has worked out great. The kids and I have had some really good conversations. Currently, we aren't doing Bible stories, but memory verses instead. Every 2-3 weeks, I pick a new one (mostly randomly) and we learn it together. Each child also prays, and then we pray the Lord's prayer together.

If it were me, I'd start with praying together first, and add in the Bible stories as you get more comfortable.

You can do church with 3 kids. At those ages its' not about them "getting" it, but becoming familiar and comfortable with the church community. Church isn't just about hearing some preaching and singing some songs. It's about connecting with the Body of Christ, participating in worship together and also working together to serve others, fellowshipping, and helping each other. In order to do that, you have to be willing to go regularly, so you can get to know others and they can get to know you.
#5 of 5 Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM

I agree with cappucchinosmom about getting involved in the community. Also, you might feel more comfortable with leaving a child in the nursery if you know the people that are there. My middle bean is almost impossible to take into church - she can't even make it through the first hymn before I have to body pin her to the floor. So she stays in the nursery and I usually take dd1 out to the service until the big kids go to Sunday School. But I sat in that nursery for a good many weeks before that, which was a drag. But I made some good friends, and dd is very happy with all of the parents, and we can take turns watching them while others go out to the service.

But some good kids books are never amiss - I'd start with the creation story, and then go for some books about the nativity around Christmas time.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page