Goddess tradition - Kwan Yin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little intro: I was raised Catholic and have been agnostic most of my adult life. The last year or two, I feel a strong pull to the moon and the goddess tradition. I'm drawn to Kwan Yin in particular. I have 2 daughters. Dd#1 is 10 and approaching puberty. I'd like to explore the spiritual side of myself more; perhaps as a means for healing my rather traumatic childhood/adolescence. I'd like to create rituals that I can share with my girls; maybe a full moon ritual? I'd also like to create an alter. Any suggestions on how to get started?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 PM

We have an alter to Kwan Yin in our house. Both DH and I feel compassion is the most needed work here so we choose her specifically.

Nothing fancy is needed for alters. Choose a deity that speaks to you. Choose a representation of that deity (we have a Kwan Yin statue with a pedestal and Buddha background). Give gifts or decorate the alter how you want. There are traditional gifts for each deity or you can choose your own. Flowers, gems, etc.

To further answer your question - I suggest two books

Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions
Celebrating the Great Mother.

Both are pretty pagan in perspective which might not resonate with your Catholic background but are a good start.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

I have Circle Round already; but have only pulled out stories for the equinox celebrations. Celebrating the Great Mother is on my amazon list; and that got put into my cart now. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM

I second both books but find I use Celebrating the Great Mother much more than Circle Round. Circle Round was written by members of the Reclaiming Witchcraft tradition and reflects that tradition (which doesn't bother me, I identified as a member of reclaiming for many years) while Celebrating is a more "generic path" book (which resonates more with me/my family now). Anyway, I usually suggest Celebrating to families that are not specifically wiccan in focus.

Hmmmm... I'm very fond of Kwan Yin, finding her to be a very approachable and comforting entity. I have a small shrine to her and agree that you don't need anything fancy. I would love a statue (etsy has lovely stuff!) but for now I have a small bird bath/reflecting pool, a prayer flag I made myself, and a place to sit and contemplate. My family is primarily focused on the Irish and Norse pantheons, but the shrine to Kwan Yin is next to our nature table... kind of seperate from our family altar, but easily reached by the kiddos (who like to put leaves, shells, rocks, and other "nature walk treasures" on the shrine).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

I really like the outdoor shrine idea. I didn't really know too much about the different traditions within the pagan umbrella. Celebrating the Great Mother is on it's way to me right now.

I'm still trying to decide where to put the altar... but managed to set up a "temporary" on for Day of the Dead/Samhein. We're adding things to it everyday. Maybe this should go in the pagan thread, but when do you cast a circle? And do you do that outside? Close to the altar? I'm planning an "ancestors dinner" and would like to add a little ceremony to it and trying to figure out what's a good way to do it so the kids don't think it's too strange.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM

I also love Kwan Yin, her gentleness and compassion is everflowing. I have a statue in my home as well.

The Full Moon is a great time for ritual and sisterhood in general. I’ve found with adults and children just go with what you are attracted to. Stay away from lengthy prescripted rituals. If you like altars – construct a simple one for each full moon. If you like to sing or dance, incorporate that. If you like dressing up make special garb or jewelry to wear during your rituals. You can always do yoga, meditate, hold hands, pray, go on nature walks.

You can follow the astrological signs that the full moon is in. This might give you a focus or “flavor” for the ritual. Full moon in Leo vs Pisces will seem different.

I do ritual with my 6 yr old son, either alone with large groups. When it’s just us 2 – we follow his lead. Sometimes they are 5 mins long. We use a small round table that is knee high and construct a new altar each time, using things he finds around the house. He is really into this part the most. We do a lot of dancing around the altar too. Sometimes we sit at the altar and use it for our magic, crafts or projects during ritual time.

I like to take filtered or stream water and leave it outside in a glass jar, for the 3 nights of the full moon. This makes Blessing water which can be anointed on your foreheads for ritual. Oil can also be used and adding a dab of glitter makes it special and fun.

It’s also fun to make our own blessing or healing teas by selecting herbs, grinding them in a mortar and making tea to drink. Small crafts like blessing bags, garlands or crescent shaped cookies are fun.

Always offering blessings and healing to our mother earth, the animals and people, our home and loved ones is the most satisfying.

Books you might look into: The Goddess Path

http://www.amazon.com/Goddess-Path-Myths-Invocations-Rituals/dp/1567184677/ref=pd_sim_b_20

Casting the Circle

http://www.amazon.com/Casting-Circle-Womans-Book-Ritual/dp/0895944111/ref=pd_sim_b_14

Wheel of the Year

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Year-Living-Magical-Life/dp/0875420915/ref=pd_sim_b_66

I’ve checked out most of the kid/family centered Pagan books and find Circle Round to be the best. I recommend it to adults too who are new to the path J

Here’s a free Pagan zine for kids, comes out for each Sabbat. Really cute!

http://www.pookapages.com/

Rhianna

Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Rhianna - That is most helpful.  Lots of great ideas.  I really like the round alter table, making tea, crescent shaped cookies, water with glitter!! ,...

I didn't know that the full moon is 3 nights?  We'll be traveling during the next full moon and I'm planning visit a kwan yin temple that day.

I wonder if they will have any celebrations around the full moon.  I'll check out the books as well.  Thanks so much!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM

You;re welcome! Actually the full moon is only one night but it's energy, in which people use for magical or ritual is extended to 3 nights. Not sure who decided this hehe

Do you think others here would like a thread about doing ritual, sabbat holidays, full moons, goddesses, magic, divination, etc with kids? I definitely have experience to share, and questions myself sometimes. I have noticed some threads lately on this topic by "new" pagan-ish folks.

I could start a new thread by the season or holiday - and discuss that or whatever we want. Just ask-a-question kinda thing. I know there is a monthly pagan families thread but that one is geared more towards friendship and chatting. I'd lke where newbies or perhaps non identified pagans could pop in. What do you think?

Rhianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post

Rhianna - That is most helpful.  Lots of great ideas.  I really like the round alter table, making tea, crescent shaped cookies, water with glitter!! ,...

I didn't know that the full moon is 3 nights?  We'll be traveling during the next full moon and I'm planning visit a kwan yin temple that day.

I wonder if they will have any celebrations around the full moon.  I'll check out the books as well.  Thanks so much!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Do you think others here would like a thread about doing ritual, sabbat holidays, full moons, goddesses, magic, divination, etc with kids? I definitely have experience to share, and questions myself sometimes. I have noticed some threads lately on this topic by "new" pagan-ish folks.

I could start a new thread by the season or holiday - and discuss that or whatever we want. Just ask-a-question kinda thing. I know there is a monthly pagan families thread but that one is geared more towards friendship and chatting. I'd lke where newbies or perhaps non identified pagans could pop in. What do you think?

Rhianna

Yes, yes, yes!  It would be very helpful to have a thread like that for pagan newbies.

BTW, I saw your link for the beliefnet quiz, and that was great!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:01 AM

rhianna- I would love if someone started a thread!  I have an almost 2 year old, and have no idea how to start introducing ritual etc.  I grew up baptist and can't seem to break out of 'sunday school' type thinking for children.  I really enjoy using candles with intent and it just occured to me this is something I can share with my toddler.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 AM

I've been pagan for many years now, but I really want to start including my 3 year old in ritual and also share more of my pagan spirituality in general with her.  I would love a thread on this where we could get suggestions, ask questions, share thoughts and ideas, etc.  smile.gif 

Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 PM

I’ve been brainstorming a bit and think we could make a monthly thread that will cover upcoming Sabbats, plus other topics. I would be happy to start the threads each month.

November – Open topic

December – Winter Solstice

Jan- Imbolc (which isn’t til Feb first but this way we can plan ahead)

Feb – Open topic

Mar – Spring Eq

April – Beltane/MayDay (planning ahead)

May – Open topic

June – Summer Solstice

July – Lughnasa/Lammas (planning ahead)

Aug – Open topic

Sept – Autumnal Eq

Oct – Samhain/Halloween (planning ahead)

Open topics could be full moon rituals, daily/bedtime/meal time rituals, rites of passage, honoring the Goddess and God, altars, spells/wishes/intentions/prayers, divination. Another option is to just have Open Topic each month and include Sabbats too. What do you all think?

These threads could be centered around age appropriate ideas – what works for a 2 year old vs an 11 year old are really different. What do other families do? Simple rituals, altar ideas, easy activities/crafts, stories, songs…

I am a longtime Pagan but it’s been a slow start rediscovering spirituality as a family. Many of the rituals and groups I am with are not kid friendly. In that rituals start late in the evening, may have open fires or be outside in the dark, etc…  Plus I work full time so I’ve had to retrain myself to scale things down, way down LOL

It will be wonderful to share with other families!

Rhianna (Brendan, 7 on 11/18)

Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 PM

excellent ideas, I would be interested in a monthly ritual as well. Thanks Rhianna for sharing your ideas with this board.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Hello,

I also love her. She is being great to me and my family.

My mom gave me her statue that I keep on my nightstand. I heard you should keep a bowl with rice, incense, fruits that you can offer her to thank her.

She is amazing.

Keep her with you and teach your girls about her and her compassion.

Take care

Andreia

Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I got a Kwan Yin statue as well.  I grew up in Hong Kong but was raised Catholic.  I remember seeing people offering fruits, incense, red candles to her.

I've been feeling a much closer connection with her and she is amazing!  I haven't talked too much about her to my girls... but what a wonderful idea!

xo

Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 AM

Hi, I was happy to come across this post. Our family is spiritual, not religious.Anyway, I came across this cool goddess site. 

http://www.mother-god.com  I am working to clear out the subconcious trash that we all absorb through out life. Our world is way out of balance when it comes to feminine energies. There is alot of cool ideas about the kali yuga pre patriarchal earth., too.

blowkiss.gifearth.gif

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif

User Tag List