can you help me find my diety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all, so my spirituality is ummmmmm, strange. So I've been on a quest to find my god/goddess. Don't confuse that with looking for a religion. So, can anyone help me? I've tried meditation and come up with a strange combo of nonsense letters. I do feel I'm being called, but by whom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithsstuff View Post
Hello all, so my spirituality is ummmmmm, strange. So I've been on a quest to find my god/goddess. Don't confuse that with looking for a religion. So, can anyone help me? I've tried meditation and come up with a strange combo of nonsense letters. I do feel I'm being called, but by whom?
By someone who is full of nonsense? IN what way did you get a string of letters while meditating?

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 AM

faithsstuff, if I were you, I'd continue (or start) daily meditation sessions. Borrow some books from the library or browse through a good book store ... see what draws you. I had a pretty powerful experience during a Reiki session involving vision and sense of Jesus and Mary. You may surprise yourself in what you find and how you find it.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 PM

I'm going to try again because my first post was deleted and I apologize if it came across as hurtful or proseletyzing. I didn't mean it that way. What I should have said was that for me, personally, I believe that the one true God came to earth in the form of Jesus to, yes, call us. And I don't think that getting to know him has to look like "religion" in the sense that you are hesitant about. If you've never read the Bible, I would start with the book of John. But of course you are on your own path. Good luck and I wish you all the best.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM

Faithstuff, that is such a broad question! I think that only you can find out which deity is calling you. Is there a time line for finding out? I'm asking, because sometimes it is a journey that you have to take whereby little by little you find what you are looking for. Or, a strong spiritual experience happens when you least expect it.

This said, I suggest meditation and finding your still point, keeping an open mind, reading about different types of spirituality, gods/goddesses, and going to spiritually strong places if you can. I mean hereby the Camino pilgrimage, or even religious houses (churches, etc.). Sometimes, even going to a mountaintop, the sea/oceanside, or a forest will help. Going alone will be infinitely more powerful as well.

I realized that I had a strong spiritual experience years after it happened, lol. It's been a journey and little by little the pieces are falling together. All the best in finding your deity.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithsstuff View Post
I do feel I'm being called, but by whom?
who do you want to be called by?

I think we have a lot of say in the process

Part of my invocation when I meditate is "allowing only the highest and best to enter in."

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 AM

I agree with Linda on the move. There are a lot of "gods and goddesses" out there....invite only the highest, purest forms in your meditating mind!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 AM

I would look through imagery of different deities to get a sense of who you feel drawn by, or maybe a general pantheon/religion.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 AM

Make up your own! Seriously! Our UU church had a wonderful series of classes that DD attended, and the kids ended up creating their own pantheon. It was an eye-opening experience.

For years, I've said that "Asphaltis" (that's a variation on "asphalt") watches over me, and helps with good parking places, safe trips, anything to do with driving. It's sort of a joke (I'm agnostic), but so what.

I believe that all named dieties were created by humans, some made very long ago, others more recently. So go ahead and make up your own.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Banned

what is the random series of letters?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Ann-Marita

I wonder if we go to the same UU church... we have a coming of age program for 9th graders where the kids have a series of classes and retreats and a vision quest in order to develop their own credo.

I noted your location and I would say that that is a very accurate description of the location of my UU church wink1.gif

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the tips.  I may be to lazy to make my own though orngtongue.gif  I'd like to get an alter set up, maybe it will have to be seasonal.  I have to say that the day I posted my question was bizzarely bad.  Cat pooped on the bed, toddler walked through it, cat #2 peed on the clean clothes, had to wash 3 loads of poo/pee laundry, and I set my planter on fire.  All while hubby was in Miami.

User Tag List