Family Circle – New monthly thread – All are welcome - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All!

We’d like to start a monthly thread that is open to everyone! It will be geared towards families who want to include their kids in ritual, magic and seasonal celebrations. This thread is also great for those new, curious, interested or non pagan but like dabbling.  All are welcome!

Topics open for discussion:

Sabbats – seasonal holidays

Esbats – Full or New moon rituals

Goddesses and Gods

Altars

Rituals – daily, bedtime, mealtime, rites of passage

Magic, spells, wishes, intentions, LoA, prayer, divination

Books, stories, crafts, food

Traditions – Pagans, Wiccans, Witches oh my! Or not calling yourself anything or being a blended religious family….

Community – public rituals, pagan/SpiralScouts, religious freedom/privacy, extended family questions

Questions – ask anything you like. No question too simple, too silly or too mundane!

We can share what real families do and ideas for kids of all age ranges.

November discussion – Any and All topics listed above - open discussion

December discussion – New Thread for Winter Solstice plus open discussion

Look forward to sharing with you! Feel to introduce yourself below J

Rhianna  (mama to Brendan age, almost 7)

#2 of 25 Old 11-15-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

My intro: I am a WOH mom to a boy who will be 7 this week! My DH is our SAHP. DS goes to first grade full time. We are a Pagan family but our interests and paths vary a lot.

I have been following the Pagan path about 20 years now and am currently part of a group that hosts full moon circles, open sabbats and other events. It’s considered a women’s temple and most activities are women only and Goddess only. Sometimes this conflicts me. Also their rituals run too late for my DS to attend. My DH isn’t into my group but thinks it’s ok for me. I really love the women in the group, they are like my sisters and it’s generally drama free.

My DH is on a very different path. He is Thelemic and belongs to the local OTO body. He is more into ceremonial magic and participates in the Gnostic Mass almost weekly. Not the woo-woo, purple scarves, singing n hugging stuff I like so much. Yes, there is much teasing between us, but we respect our individual paths. BUT sometimes seeing how different/separate they are makes it hard to do things as a family.

Raising our son. DS takes a definite interest in what DH does and loves to watch him practice his Mass lines and such. But most of his pagan experiences are with me and what I do. I have more access to families and kids. We mostly celebrate Sabbats in group settings but sometimes do full moon rituals. We do not have any daily practices.

We were also doing SpiralScouts but our local group just dissolved. We have a casual scout thing going with the same folks but that is proving to be too casual (er flakey). DH and I are discussing starting our SpiralScout group in the future.

And we live in Oregon, have 2 cats, 2 fish and 4 hermit crabs. We like to garden, watch movies, crafts, cook and spend time with our extended family.

Rhianna

#3 of 25 Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Subbing!

I'm a mom of 3, in a blended (mostly Catholic) religious family, with ever-increasing personal pagan leanings.  I follow the moon, do practices relating to her cycles, do Treasure Maps, and experiment with magick and the LOA.  I do not have much of a connection with others interested in paganism irl -- you know, the Gnostic mass sounds really interesting !  I should research if there is something like that available where I live.

I run a home daycare and what I want to share today are a couple of things I do with my children and my daycare children that work really well as spiritual practices with young children.

-- most days we start the day by lighting a beeswax candle in a dish of crystals, making a wish/saying a prayer for our day, and blowing it out.  Everyone gets a turn.  Then we handle the crystals and talk about them -- I tell them the names and something about their properties.  I'm always interested to see which crystals the children are attracted to on a given day!

-- for birthdays - this is something I read about that I reallly like and we will be doing.  Light a candle to represent the sun and have the birthday child carry a globe representing the earth and walk around it one time for every year of their lives.

I'm trying to think of simple rituals to do with our regular candle for Solstice -- maybe make a new candle for Imbolc/Candlemas to represent the lengthening of the days?

#4 of 25 Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Such a lovely idea for a thread!! Thank you Rhianna for starting this!.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#5 of 25 Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome! Your daycare practices sound amazing. Those kids are so lucky and I bet they feel really special and treasued to be apart of these rituals. We made candles for Imbolc one year and it was fun. Definitely something good to do in the winter when you can't be outside. I think it's fun to light a bunch of candles in the house, then turn all the lights off.

Rhianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Subbing!

I'm a mom of 3, in a blended (mostly Catholic) religious family, with ever-increasing personal pagan leanings.  I follow the moon, do practices relating to her cycles, do Treasure Maps, and experiment with magick and the LOA.  I do not have much of a connection with others interested in paganism irl -- you know, the Gnostic mass sounds really interesting !  I should research if there is something like that available where I live.

I run a home daycare and what I want to share today are a couple of things I do with my children and my daycare children that work really well as spiritual practices with young children.

-- most days we start the day by lighting a beeswax candle in a dish of crystals, making a wish/saying a prayer for our day, and blowing it out.  Everyone gets a turn.  Then we handle the crystals and talk about them -- I tell them the names and something about their properties.  I'm always interested to see which crystals the children are attracted to on a given day!

-- for birthdays - this is something I read about that I reallly like and we will be doing.  Light a candle to represent the sun and have the birthday child carry a globe representing the earth and walk around it one time for every year of their lives.

I'm trying to think of simple rituals to do with our regular candle for Solstice -- maybe make a new candle for Imbolc/Candlemas to represent the lengthening of the days?

#6 of 25 Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

bump

#7 of 25 Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 PM

I am really looking forward to reading replies!

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#8 of 25 Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi KTG and Mommarific – welcome!

So today is my son’s 7th birthday. I thought I would share my view on a popular birthday tradition: birthday candles!

I was thinking about rituals we do in our daily lives or for special occasions and how most people do not realize they are indeed rituals…. And sometimes magic too!

With birthday candles we:

Make a special cake  - food is often associated with ritual, sacredness and magic.

We gather around the cake and the birthday person.

Candles are lit on the cake, a certain number to represent the age of the person.

Person gets to make a wish, usually made in silence – this is common in magic and spellwork.

Everyone sings to the person, even saying their name – raising energy to support the wish/spell.

Person blows out candle to release the wish – same is done in spellwork.

Everyone shares the cake – sharing of food and drink is common at the end of a ritual.

I wonder what Brendan will wish for? J

Rhianna

Aubergine68 likes this.
#9 of 25 Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Rhianna - thank you for the warm welcome and insight re: birthdays.  It rings so true when you break it down as you did that it is a ritual and magickal in so many ways.  Happy Birthday to your son and may it be a magical day for him and the start of a wonderful year filled with love, laughter and bubbles (bubbles are just joyful to watch and bring happiness I think)

For me as a coming back to the path pagan, I struggle with not trying to make all of my celebrations "pomp & circumstance" rituals and just recognizing the simple ways I can practice.  I grew up in the catholic church, so I think my mindset is stuck in believing that religion is celebrated only from 10am-11am every Sunday, except for certain holidays (like Ash Wednesday and etc) and must contain lots of candles, music, prayers and script to be followed.  I'm curious to hear more about other's celebrations & rituals as most of mine are sitting, thinking, with a candle lit or sending up a prayer.

Within our family we struggle more since we are a blended almost non-religious family - DH was raised Jewish, Me - raised Catholic, but has studied several other religions (buddhist, hindu, judaism) with paganism/wiccan fitting the most with my soul, the kiddos I am working to expose them to all of it without preference to gain an accepting understanding that beliefs are as unique as people.  One size does not fit all. biggrinbounce.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#10 of 25 Old 11-18-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

KTG - how old are your kids? Do you like working with Wiccan type ritual (casting circle, calling quarters, etc) or something less formal?

Rhianna

#11 of 25 Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM

My kiddos are 4 1/2 and almost 2 (in January), so really most of it is in 1 ear and out the other.  My oldest gets that (at about a 50% rate) we can watch the moon wax and wane and if we ask will watch over us at night.

I did do something very formal one time in the summer/outside for a full moon - setting out candles in a circle in the specific directions, I cast a circle with salt, made a little offering of juice onto the ground and just soaked up the moon and tried to connect with the goddess.   It was a really great experience and I felt very connected- but cut short as I got interrupted. 

The kicker for me was that time/ritual was super hard to pull together - oh boy!  between getting the kids to bed, trying to find candles, salt and sort of/quasi hiding in my very open & exposed backyard from the neighbors. redface.gif

Do like it though - I think I'm attached to it because its comfortable to me, familiar given my previous exploration of Wicca, and the formality - it feels "churchy" to me.  

Free form or spontaneous- it is out of my comfort zone, but I think its what I have time for in my life right now - like I said sometimes its just a passing thought in my head when I have a moment. 

Sorry for the long-winded answer to the question! dizzy.gif

#12 of 25 Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Just a note on salt… it’s really bad for plants and soil. If you are casting a circle outside cornmeal or birdseed are good options.

If I didn’t go to group rituals – I’d never make time for them. A few years ago I made a really big deal about needing more personal time (I needed it desparately) . But when I found myself standing in the dark in my own backyard, I was like a deer in the headlights. The pressure to have some earth moving experience in 20 minutes was too much LOL

Now I am more of a “kitchen witch” I guess. To me this emulates the magic that women have adapted to over time. The rituals and spells are built into their lives as they garden, cook, knit, sweep, decorate for the holidays. I really like folklore and folk magic. But I am still working on the actual witch part. The frazzled mom part is in full bloom LOL

A full moon ritual I once led in the fall – we did a canning of sorts. We used small jars and filled them with non spoiling items like beans, seeds, dried herbs, little stones or charms and written notes. These items represent the bountiful harvest of early autumn. The jar can opened in the deep winter to release that stored energy.

With your catholic and DH’s jewish background – you might want to incorporate candles a lot more into your home, small altars and just your personal rituals. Like the birthday candles, candle magic is easy (and affordable) .

Candle magic: http://www.wicca.com/celtic/bri/cndlmgk.htm

Candle color correspondences: http://www.wicca.com/celtic/bri/cndlcolor.htm

Book recommendation: Practical Candleburning Rituals, by Raymond Buckland:

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Candleburning-Rituals-Purpose-Llewellyns/dp/0875420486/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

I think you can make candles with small children by using the flat bees wax that is rolled around a wick. http://www.allfreecrafts.com/candles/beeswax-candles.shtml

Rhianna

_ktg_ likes this.
#13 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Really glad to find this thread!

I'm a point where I just beginning to call myself pagan (in my own mind really, so far).  

A little background on me: I grew up pretty religionless, both of my parents were raised Christian but had no desire to attend church or instill any kind of religion in us.  I've always (from as young as 3 and 4) felt fairly uncomfortable about the Bible without an ability to say why, but have maintained that people should engage in whatever personally fulfills them.

In the past couple years I started reading a lot of Native American spirituality books (this one was one of my favorites).  I always felt a connection to nature and I knew I wanted to pursue some sort of spiritual path, but had no idea how to go about it.  Reading through the thread so far, I am encouraged by the fact that all the little things count!  I'm becoming more comfortable with the fact that there is no one "right way" and it was just take a lot of experimenting and idea gathering to get a steadier routine going.

I find I feel a lot better when I am watching/speaking to the moon.  I garden and I leave offerings of produce on a certain stone in the backyard (although my garden totally went to crap this summer while I was in my first trimester).  I can totally relate with feeling like I'm on the spot in the backyard!  My neighbor's yard is up on a little hill so he can look down and see everything I'm doing when we're outside together (which is a lot).    I'm also really interested in Paleolithic culture, especially women's culture and that has brought me to the old mother goddess traditions.  (I just finished reading The Great Cosmic Mother...wow!)

Food is also a big part of my spiritual experience.  We get the majority of our food from an organic/grass-fed farm near our house.  I try to be very mindful of the animals and the plants I'm eating and serving to my family and all the work that has brought them to our table.  I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for ways to get things from the most basic/earthly level.  I make jewelry from things I grow in my yard (yucca cordage, gourds, Job's Tears), I would love to learn how to hunt wild game some day.  I just bought some mealworms for my starter mealworm farm.  So, just getting as close as I can to the cycles of the earth and of life-that's always my goal.

I have a 3.5 year old and one due in March.  I'd like to do some solstice stuff next month.  And just learn from all you wise women!

#14 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM

I'm really looking forward to learning from this thread.  I'm a mom of 4 and have definite pagan leanings.  I feel a great connection and respect for nature....but when people start talking about spells and magic I get kind of confused.  Ok, not "kind of" - make that really confused and a little freaked.  blush.gif  I'm very open to learning about it all, though!  I don't really believe in or feel led to worship a deity, even Earth as a deity.  I get confused as to what exactly the Goddess is. 

I like the moon.  I like the concept of the maiden/mother/crone.  I like taking time each day to notice the gifts of nature around me.  But I don't really know what I believe.  My spiritual path seems very crooked and murky right now!  I feel like all people and animals are connected, and that we each have goodness inside.  I feel that we need to take care of one another. 

Many years ago I was an avid follower of the Christian church.  I miss feeling like I know how to label myself, like I know what I am.  Does that make any sense? 

A happy woman
#15 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Good thread idea. thumb.gif

I'm Mary, generally Pagan-ish and interested in observing/respecting/enjoying seasonal rhythms. Labels are problematic, not because I resist them as a principle....just because every time I choose a label that seems to fit, it doesn't last for long. I find that my spirituality is always in motion; changing, morphing, reinventing. But generally I'm an earth & goddess-lovin' SAHMama who is constantly and consistently drawn to Buddhist principles. I see neither Paganism or Buddhism as my religion...but rather my soulful, personal path.

Children are 11, 7, and soon-to-be 4.

My daughter's birthday is right before the Winter Solstice so we are starting a new family tradition this year of having a Yule Birthday party. It is soooo easy for her birthday to be 'swallowed up' by Christmas (and that's how her grandparents seem to see it) so this is our way to build a new and, hopefully, soul-satisfying new rhythm all while celebrating our 'baby.'

Looking forward to reading and learning. luxlove.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#16 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome RockyCrop!

I can relate my parents did not raise me in a religious household and came from a very mixed background themselves. My mom went "new age" on us when I was teen and this influenced me a lot. Being interested in astrology, numerology, tarot and crystals lead me to Paganism. Of course later she got back into mainstream religion and kept asking if I worshipped the devil LOL

Rhianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrop View Post

Really glad to find this thread!

I'm a point where I just beginning to call myself pagan (in my own mind really, so far).  

A little background on me: I grew up pretty religionless, both of my parents were raised Christian but had no desire to attend church or instill any kind of religion in us.  I've always (from as young as 3 and 4) felt fairly uncomfortable about the Bible without an ability to say why, but have maintained that people should engage in whatever personally fulfills them.

I have a 3.5 year old and one due in March.  I'd like to do some solstice stuff next month.  And just learn from all you wise women!

#17 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post

I'm really looking forward to learning from this thread.  I'm a mom of 4 and have definite pagan leanings.  I feel a great connection and respect for nature....but when people start talking about spells and magic I get kind of confused.  Ok, not "kind of" - make that really confused and a little freaked.  blush.gif  I'm very open to learning about it all, though!  I don't really believe in or feel led to worship a deity, even Earth as a deity.  I get confused as to what exactly the Goddess is. 

I like the moon.  I like the concept of the maiden/mother/crone.  I like taking time each day to notice the gifts of nature around me.  But I don't really know what I believe.  My spiritual path seems very crooked and murky right now!  I feel like all people and animals are connected, and that we each have goodness inside.  I feel that we need to take care of one another. 

Many years ago I was an avid follower of the Christian church.  I miss feeling like I know how to label myself, like I know what I am.  Does that make any sense? 

#18 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

For those interested - here are some recommended books :-)

I started my interest in Paganism in late 80’s and purchased a goodly amount of books. But noticed that as newer books came out they were just referencing the original ones, with different cover art. Quickly I moved to other types of books. Ones that appeal to Pagans, but don’t teach it perse.  Books on herbalism, gardening, goddess history, natural living, folklore and folk craft, native American beliefs…

I try to recommend only books I have read or at least authors I think are reputable. Your library is a good resource for checking out a book before you buy. Used book stores are also good!

Recommended books on general Pagan/Wiccan/Witchcraft topic:

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler

Witches’ Bible by Stewart and Janet Farrar

Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland

The SpiralDance by Starhawk

Circle Round by Starhawk (made for children – good for everyone!)

Wicca – a guide for the solitary practionary by Scott Cunningham*

Recommended books about the Goddess:

The Witch’s Goddess by Stewart and Janet Farrar

When God was a Woman by Merlin Stone

The Great Cosmic Mother by Monica Sjoo (have not read yet but friends highly commend!)

The Grandmother of Time by Zsuzanna Budapest

Recommended books Sabbats, Ritual, Magic and Spells:

Wheel of the Year by Pauline Campenelli

Earth Power by Scott Cunningham*

Cunningham’s Encyclopedia to Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham*

Grandmother Moon by Zsuzanna Budapest

A Witch Alone by Marion Green

The ABC of Witchcraft by Doreen Valiente (DH recommends)

*Scott Cunningham wrote many books and I love most of them! His writing style is very down to earth and approachable beginners. But there is some overlap between some of his books. Read online reviews to get a feel if the book is good for you.

I also want to mention calendars!! I personally love them JThere are many Pagan based wall calendars and planners. These can be a fun way to learn a bit as you go. Most will list multicultural and pagan holidays, moon phases/sign, astrological correspondences, and sometimes historical information.

For astrology nothing beats: Llewelyn’s Astrological Calendar

Wiccan/Pagan I like both: Witches Datebook  and  Seasons of the Witch

Someone made a nifty listing for 2011 datebooks and calendars here:

http://www.squidoo.com/wicca-calendars

I hardly ever read fiction but one book I’ve read and is adored by many Pagans is the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It’s a revisioning of the Authorian lengend from the female characters point of the view.

Please share your book recommendations too.

Rhianna

#19 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Operamommy!

I responded to your post but my message didn’t show up – just your quote LOL I think many people are on the crooked non defined not sure what to believe path too. Spirituality is very personal and changes as we grow through life. I was heading full steam ahead on my path and then I became a mother. A true rite of passage, no scripted ritual needed.

And everything changed and I felt completely lost. A tried to rebuild the same path but that didn’t work. Now I am starting over, seeing life and spirit differently. Things are now quality, not quantity. Walking my talk and less talking out my rear LOL One good thing to do is: start with what you love! If you are attracted to it – study it, dream about it, write or paint about it. It will nourish you and lead you to where you need to go next.

I just posted some recommended books – take a peak. I will post more on spells and magic – what that is or isn’t. And how we are all already doing it - so don't be nervous :-)

Rhianna

#20 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Mary!!

Welcome to you and your family.

Spirituality is in constant motion and changing. I think that’s a theme we’ll need to remind ourselves of in this thread as we go. You have a great age range in kids! Please chime in with what works good or not so good for kids regarding their age/skill/attention spans for ritual or whatnot. Others will find this really helpful. My son is 7 and I always say I can help with kids his age or younger hahaha He is teaching me.

I think when we start the December thread and discuss Winter Solstice – it’s gonna be a blast!

Rhianna

#21 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 PM

i want in! i'm a single, sahm/wahm to a 5yo daughter that i homeschool. i've been interested in wicca since i was 14 but couldn't then didn't follow up on that until my late 20s. i'm 39 now and just within th epast year have made my first irl wiccan friend (introduced via a mutual friend who she was introducing to wicca and candlework). i'm curious. i have several books by raven silverwolf and like them but i rarely see her mentioned on recommendation lists. i'm not sure why.

#22 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

For those interested - here are some recommended books :-)

I started my interest in Paganism in late 80’s and purchased a goodly amount of books. But noticed that as newer books came out they were just referencing the original ones, with different cover art. Quickly I moved to other types of books. Ones that appeal to Pagans, but don’t teach it perse.  Books on herbalism, gardening, goddess history, natural living, folklore and folk craft, native American beliefs…

I try to recommend only books I have read or at least authors I think are reputable. Your library is a good resource for checking out a book before you buy. Used book stores are also good!

Recommended books on general Pagan/Wiccan/Witchcraft topic:

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler

Witches’ Bible by Stewart and Janet Farrar

Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland

The SpiralDance by Starhawk

Circle Round by Starhawk (made for children – good for everyone!)

Wicca – a guide for the solitary practionary by Scott Cunningham*

Recommended books about the Goddess:

The Witch’s Goddess by Stewart and Janet Farrar

When God was a Woman by Merlin Stone

The Great Cosmic Mother by Monica Sjoo (have not read yet but friends highly commend!)

The Grandmother of Time by Zsuzanna Budapest

Recommended books Sabbats, Ritual, Magic and Spells:

Wheel of the Year by Pauline Campenelli

Earth Power by Scott Cunningham*

Cunningham’s Encyclopedia to Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham*

Grandmother Moon by Zsuzanna Budapest

A Witch Alone by Marion Green

The ABC of Witchcraft by Doreen Valiente (DH recommends)

*Scott Cunningham wrote many books and I love most of them! His writing style is very down to earth and approachable beginners. But there is some overlap between some of his books. Read online reviews to get a feel if the book is good for you.

I also want to mention calendars!! I personally love them JThere are many Pagan based wall calendars and planners. These can be a fun way to learn a bit as you go. Most will list multicultural and pagan holidays, moon phases/sign, astrological correspondences, and sometimes historical information.

For astrology nothing beats: Llewelyn’s Astrological Calendar

Wiccan/Pagan I like both: Witches Datebook  and  Seasons of the Witch

Someone made a nifty listing for 2011 datebooks and calendars here:

http://www.squidoo.com/wicca-calendars

I hardly ever read fiction but one book I’ve read and is adored by many Pagans is the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It’s a revisioning of the Authorian lengend from the female characters point of the view.

Please share your book recommendations too.

Rhianna

Thanks for all these great recommendations!  I have some of those on my amazon list.  And I just have to second all your friends recommendation of The Great Cosmic Mother.  I know I already mentioned it in my last post, but it really put a lot of things I had always questioned into a historical perspective.  It took me about 3 months to read it because the last half is fairly depressing and was hard for me to get through, but really worth it!!

I am definitely going to get the Witches Datebook for next year too.

Feeling excited about the upcoming season!  I think my daughter and I will go to the craft store today and get some things to make some solstice decorations.  

#23 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

What is Magic.

Aleister Crowley defined it as: “The science and art causing change to occur in conformity to the will”. The science is akin to the Law of Attraction concept – like attracts like. When I learned about LoA (from the movie The Secret) I thought AHA! That is so how magic works. It’s the same thing.

With LoA you 1) Chose what you want/decide your goal 2) Ask for it to be so/make your intention 3) Believe it/Receive it

The Universe translates your request as energy (neither good or bad) and delivers it to you. Magic is independent of religion and even spirituality. It is science based but it delves deeply into the science beyond our sight and touch. This makes it difficult to understand and believe in.

The conscious mind has a hard time grasping the concept of LoA and magic – we are too rational and too judging. This is where the Art of magic comes in. By using symbols, colours, visualization, scent, music, poetic words, chants, prayer and anything that taps our subconscious mind we open up more in the experience and the Universe.

All in all the more positive intention, meaning and energy that is put forth with magic – the better you are apt to make it so.

Laws of nature within the Universe. Also with magic and Paganism there is belief that nature is an extension of the Universe (Goddess/God), Nature including the stars, sun, moon and earth – everything putting out it’s own energy. Over time people have figured out how work with these energies to enhance their magic, rituals and lives. This information is usually called Magical Correspondence. Not everyone uses them. Personally I find the idea of the magical properties of plants very appealing.

Also, there are many types of magical systems. They seem to fall into 2 types: ceremonial magic and folk/sympathetic magic.

Good and bad magic. There is not good or bad magic just like there is not good or bad energy. There are only people with good or bad intentions. Remember like attracts like. When someone asks the Universe to hurt someone, they are attracting pain to themselves as well. I think we can really only effect change to ourselves. Want to heal the world? Heal yourself.

What is Ritual.

A Ritual is ceremony to honor something – dieties, people, places, etc. If you’ve been to a wedding or mass – you get the idea. Rituals do not include magic overtly, but subtely yes. Rituals are common to all cultures and religions.

What is a Spell.

A spell is a recipe of sorts for magic. Where you state your intention/goal and raise energy to send it out to Universe for realization. The actual recipe or format is whatever you chose – it’s not the words or book they come from – it’s the energy and will you put forth that makes it happen.

This is really a complex subject and I only brushed the surface. I am hoping people will see how universal magic (and rituals and spells) is when you remove the labels. How it’s very accessible to everyone. More info can be found in some of the books I posted earlier.

Blessings!

Rhianna

#24 of 25 Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just bumping :-)

Rhianna

#25 of 25 Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 PM

I'm excited to find this new thread.  I homeschool my 2 girls (10, 6).  I was raised Catholic; then agnostic for most of my adult years and really drawn to the goddess tradition the last year or so.

Dd#1 has been asking me the last few years whether I believe in "god"; and being agnostic I've always said I don't know (but that some people believe in one god and others don't).  She thought I was hiding something from her.  Now I talk to her about the different goddess that I'm drawn to and she seems more at ease with it.  We lost one of our bunnies a few weeks ago (we lost 3 pets this year) right after our celebration of Samhein.  And the girls were talking about how our bunny Peter would be able to see her brother Pater and be a lot less lonely.  Anyways, I'm rambling.  Right now, I'm trying to decide what kind of rituals I'd like to bring in for our solstice celebration.  We've always done an advent spiral(started when DD#1 was in waldorf preschool); now I'm thinking about doing it on Solstice. I just noticed there is a solstice thread and I'm going to take a look there for suggestions.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page